Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Serf posted:

I feel like a lot of this narrative of "economic justice at the expense of social justice" is mostly fake bullshit meant to keep us at each other's throats. There' no reason why you can't push for economic change that will appeal to white voters while at the same time advocating for robust social reforms to benefit the marginalized. In fact, I'd say that social justice is predicated upon economic justice. What's the point of having rights if you have no support structures or money to exercise those rights?

That is exactly what it is. Its the neoliberal smokescreen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

but what if they find my Tumblr full of "down with cis" fanfic and photoshops of Marx with anime eyes

we just elected Donald Trump to the most powerful office on Earth

shame is a thing of the past

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Raskolnikov38 posted:

:whatup: fellow CAdems mailing list recipient. i'm definitely going to give this a shot

I want to run for delegate but I don't know if I can afford it - $1000 a year in unreimbursed travel is almost outside my budget.

Also I suggested the idea to my husband and he crawled into a corner and started weeping blood, what's up with that????

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I want to run for delegate but I don't know if I can afford it - $1000 a year in unreimbursed travel is almost outside my budget.

Also I suggested the idea to my husband and he crawled into a corner and started weeping blood, what's up with that????

He is weeping red tears, and red is the worker's color. I believe your path is clear, Comrade.

see, this, this is the kind of post that would need to be redacted.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
basically i dont think the left is going to make any progress until they bury this pathological need to be Correct about everything. fishmech is basically the elemental representation of this concept

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I would love to run in 2018 for a local position but same, I don't know how I could possibly afford it. Would be a big pay cut.

Am gonna double down and try to finish paying off my student and medical loans next year, that would at least save me $800 a month, and then I might be able to consider it.

Al! posted:

basically i dont think the left is going to make any progress until they bury this pathological need to be Correct about everything. fishmech is basically the elemental representation of this concept

I agree, I think, but I'm not sure exactly where you're going with this.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

loquacius posted:

He is weeping red tears, and red is the worker's color. I believe your path is clear, Comrade.

:toot:

ChickenOfTomorrow has issued a correction as of 22:18 on Jan 21, 2017

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Serf posted:

"I tell you folks, undoing all this incompetence, and I mean there is a lot of it, Obama was the most corrupt President in history, it is so, so hard. But we're working on it. Believe me, we're working on it. They had 8 years to ruin the country, so we're gonna need 8 years to fix it! Probably more!"

Sure, he'll say that. But Obama is still popular and will probably become more popular once we get a couple of Trump freakouts while he is in office.

Yeah, we won't be able to reach the RWM people. But more hateful old fucks will pass away before the next election. A strong message could cut through Trump's bullshit.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Al! posted:

you were so close but then you picked one side of the coin anyway, see the problem?????

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

listen there's no reason we can't do both at once, but we have to do my side first and everything else will fix itself qed

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

incidentally my fellow leftists have been murmuring about a general strike on January 20.

you know you wanna.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

this thread is making me want to run for a local office, or maybe a California democratic assembly delegate, so I can fart into a mic for 90 seconds at the state convention and finally make the democrats relevant again

Do it. I'm going to try myself and if your local dems are not enthused run as an independent.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

The next Democratic president needs to be able to get out a simple graph that shows average wage staying the same while CEO wage sky rockets. Then just straight up say, "your bosses are taking all of your money, and I will take it back for you. They are robber barons with all of the power, and the only power you have is your vote. Use that power and take your money back."

turtle_07
Jun 13, 2003

Hear, hear!

comingafteryouall posted:

Sure, he'll say that. But Obama is still popular and will probably become more popular once we get a couple of Trump freakouts while he is in office.

Yeah, we won't be able to reach the RWM people. But more hateful old fucks will pass away before the next election. A strong message could cut through Trump's bullshit.

Yeah, Obama is leaving office popular and beloved, the economy looks strong, and the republicans control every aspect of federal government. Maybe I'm being optimistic but I can't see that looking like anything but whining.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Yinlock posted:

listen there's no reason we can't do both at once, but we have to do my side first and everything else will fix itself qed

this really isn't what I said though?

you have more faith in the American electorate than I do and I hope you are right

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

this thread is making me want to run for a local office, or maybe a California democratic assembly delegate, so I can fart into a mic for 90 seconds at the state convention and finally make the democrats relevant again

Are you up for the challenge of a 90 second fart? I mean we all appreciate politicians with goals, but those goals have to be attainable. 90seconds is a long time!

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

loquacius posted:

This thread alternately fills me with hope and makes me decide that the only way we could fix this is if we had a bunch of starry-eyed millenials go into local-level government right now so that they could hopefully fix everything in twenty or thirty years, by which point the world will have been a Fallout-esque post-nuclear wasteland for 18 or 28 years already anyway so why loving bother

"why bother" is the exact attitude that got us into this mess

get pissed and do something

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

GlyphGryph posted:

I agree, I think, but I'm not sure exactly where you're going with this.

just trying 2 inject some self-awareness itt

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Yinlock posted:

It sounded a lot more like he was saying you can't pick one side and that they depend on each other to me, but maybe I'm just worse at reading than you guys.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Serf posted:

I feel like a lot of this narrative of "economic justice at the expense of social justice" is mostly fake bullshit meant to keep us at each other's throats. There' no reason why you can't push for economic change that will appeal to white voters while at the same time advocating for robust social reforms to benefit the marginalized. In fact, I'd say that social justice is predicated upon economic justice. What's the point of having rights if you have no support structures or money to exercise those rights?

This is correct

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

incidentally my fellow leftists have been murmuring about a general strike on January 20.

you know you wanna.

What's the demand?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Yinlock posted:

"Once everyone makes a living wage and has political rights, it won't matter if angry people throw poo poo at you when they see you holding your same-sex spouse's hand in the street, because you can go home to your money and everything will be all better. Just dive into your Scrooge McDuck money pit of Living Wage, and forget the haters. Feels good :cool:"

"All we have to do is make sure that Congress and every corporate boardroom in America has the same racial, gender, and sexual-orientation demographics as all of America does, using the most recent census data, and I'm sure they'll fix the rest of the problems themselves. What's class? I've never heard of this concept :confused:"

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

that fat orange gently caress and his poo poo squad are just pleased as punch and ready to destroy everything you love

gently caress them

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Powercrazy posted:

Are you up for the challenge of a 90 second fart? I mean we all appreciate politicians with goals, but those goals have to be attainable. 90seconds is a long time!

Sounding a lot like :shillary: there. You sure you belong in this thread?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Serf posted:

It was only Hill Shills who pushed that narrative. An inspiring quote directly from the Dems best possible candidate "If we broke up the big banks tomorrow, would that end racism? Would that end sexism?" as if for some reason those two things are morally opposed to each other.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

loquacius posted:

"Once everyone makes a living wage and has political rights, it won't matter if angry people throw poo poo at you when they see you holding your same-sex spouse's hand in the street, because you can go home to your money and everything will be all better. Just dive into your Scrooge McDuck money pit of Living Wage, and forget the haters. Feels good :cool:"

"All we have to do is make sure that Congress and every corporate boardroom in America has the same racial, gender, and sexual-orientation demographics as all of America does, using the most recent census data, and I'm sure they'll fix the rest of the problems themselves. What's class? I've never heard of this concept :confused:"

it's like there's two problems that, while interconnected, still both need to be addressed

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

you know you wanna.

As his first presidential action Reagan 2.0 fires everyone

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Powercrazy posted:

No, being "realistic" instead of ambitious and vision oriented is part of why we are in this mess. I say aim high, and if we fall short let it not be said that we were afraid to aim for what we wanted, even if we fall short and only manage to let it rip for 30 seconds that will be 30 seconds more than we otherwise had!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

The next Democratic president needs to be able to get out a simple graph that shows average wage staying the same while CEO wage sky rockets. Then just straight up say, "your bosses are taking all of your money, and I will take it back for you. They are robber barons with all of the power, and the only power you have is your vote. Use that power and take your money back."

Yep. Even better if someone with an even vaguely credible history of fighting for egalitarianism says it.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

GlyphGryph posted:

What's the demand?

who cares, gently caress republicans

Serf
May 5, 2011

I wonder how far I could get into a speech about how race is a social construct invented by the global capitalist elite for the purpose of dividing the lower class that has been perpetuated for centuries before I started to sound like Bizarro World Alex Jones

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Al! posted:

That is a trait that doesn't know ideology.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Serf posted:

I wonder how far I could get into a speech about how race is a social construct invented by the global capitalist elite for the purpose of dividing the lower class that has been perpetuated for centuries before I started to sound like Bizarro World Alex Jones

Pretty much exactly that far, I think.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Yinlock posted:

it's like there's two problems that, while interconnected, still both need to be addressed

yeah but theres something about those starbelly sneeches that gets under my skin far more than the guys building the sneechmulcher

nopants
May 29, 2004

Yeah, but that will make CEOs awful mad. Have you even thought that about that?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Al! posted:

yeah but theres something about those starbelly sneeches that gets under my skin far more than the guys building the sneechmulcher

Yeah, and say what you will about Republicans, but they're pretty drat good at uniting a couple of different coalitions that don't share very many common values. (By lying through their teeth to their various bases and then doing whatever the hell they want anyway.)

Serf
May 5, 2011

Beet Wagon posted:

Pretty much exactly that far, I think.

well, I guess I have a future in radio

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

so the exact same stump that bernie sanders ran on? sounds cool

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

nopants posted:

Yeah, but that will make CEOs awful mad. Have you even thought that about that?

hmm, anger does make the meat taste terrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Al! posted:

God drat apostates. I hope the infidels kill them first.

• Locked thread