Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I don't understand why the Mavs aren't last in every power ranking. Sure they might get better when everyone is healthy but until then they have easily been the worst Mavs squad since Cuban bought the team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Paul Zuvella posted:

Russel Westrbrook leads the league in usage by 6%.
Which is to say, Russ owns.

His usage is north of 40%.

He also leads the league in AST% at 58.7, which is somewhat bolstered by the fact that it only looks at Field Goals of OTHER players.

Put those together, when Russ is on the floor a little over 75% of all possessions are either him scoring the ball, or him assisting someone scoring the ball.

In all NBA history here is the list of people who had a usage rate over 40% and played more than 100 NBA minutes:

http://www.basketball-reference.com...1.0&order_by=ws

Oh look, it's just Westbrook.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Spacebump posted:

I don't understand why the Mavs aren't last in every power ranking. Sure they might get better when everyone is healthy but until then they have easily been the worst Mavs squad since Cuban bought the team.

Dallas is 7th in defense which is impressive when like 2 players have been playing all the games in the starting line-up.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Spacebump posted:

Look me in the internet eyes and tell me with a straight internet face they're worse than the Wizards. Go ahead, try.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The Wizards with a healthy starting line-up are 25th in defense and 17th in offense

The wizards last year with tons of injuries were 14th in defense

Whittman better than scott Brooks???

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Cash Monet posted:

Look me in the internet eyes and tell me with a straight internet face they're worse than the Wizards. Go ahead, try.

Mavs are definitely worse than the Wizards right now but Mavs are also totally hosed with injuries so it's not really a fair comparison.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Yeah, this seems to be the year Carlisle has run out of magic juice.

I'd rank them below the Wizards because the Wizards will at least give me John Wall breaking the sound barrier once or twice per game. The Mavs got Seth Curry shooting spot up 3s.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I think the Mav's defensive rating is bolstered by the fact that many of those losses were pretty ugly and teams took their foot off the gas. An -8 pt MOV is pretty bad.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Thank you mavs for making the Sixers not the worst offense in the league

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Pels waived Archie Goodwin and picked up former Laker Anthony Brown.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Archie should just go to China or Puerto Rico or something at this point

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
I avoided posting last night because I was so mad but I'm STILL MAD.

How - HOW - can referees go back and decide that in an alternate reality where everything happens the same except the clock is magically different that it wouldn't matter? Should Terrence Ross have known that the Kings' clock person was terrible at their job and adjusted his play accordingly on the fly? The clock DID start before the ball got to Ross anyway, so even the NBA Officials' travesty of an explanation is fatally flawed.

You can't review a play and retroactively assign fouls, travels, etc so how can you go back and arbitrarily decide temporal reality after the play has happened?

I hope Casey/Ujiri file a protest. I have no illusions that they'll win because the NBA is not going to admit they were wrong, and even if they did it's not like they're going to fly out to Sacramento and play the last 2.4 (SHOULD HAVE BEEN 3.4) seconds of a game.

Clocks start late literally all the time, especially when there's home cooking. How can the Toronto Raptors lose a game because of a Sacramento Kings employee's error?

I
HAVE
GRIEVANCES

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

quote:

Like with Biyombo, Turner’s early struggles with his new team shouldn’t come as too much of a surprise; the benefits of continuity are often overlooked by fans and reporters coming into a season. The surprise is just how bad he’s been. The Blazers have a net rating of minus-16.7 when he is on the floor, and a net rating of plus-9.3 points when he is off. The good news is that he can’t continue to be as harmful as his advanced numbers suggest he has been, because no NBA-caliber player could be over the course of a season.

I want to see a team that plays both Evan Turner and Rondo at the same time. Call it morbid curiosity.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
FYI, Turner is on pace to have the worst net rating of all time. Now, is the problem his teammates (sometimes, kinda) or him (vastly yes)?

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Kinda nervous about the Pistons game tonight. This is the Rockets 4th game in 6 nights, I think the Pistons can take them.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I remembered the replay I was talking about, it was actually almost a decade ago (Jesus Christ), the Hawks and Heat had to replay the last minute of a game because the refs fouled Shaq out when he only had 5 fouls. A similar thing happened with the Pels/Kings game this year but they caught it at halftime and had them replay the time after the break. The Hawks-Heat game they took off both teams' records until later in the year.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Someone working for the NBA was apparently bored, so he or she uploaded Stromile Swift's Top 20 Dunks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZghWav2tC0

Sure, why not. Still mad that such a perfect name was wasted though.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

DeimosRising posted:

I remembered the replay I was talking about, it was actually almost a decade ago (Jesus Christ), the Hawks and Heat had to replay the last minute of a game because the refs fouled Shaq out when he only had 5 fouls. A similar thing happened with the Pels/Kings game this year but they caught it at halftime and had them replay the time after the break. The Hawks-Heat game they took off both teams' records until later in the year.

Wasn't there a (Vancouver) Grizzlies - Lakers game where the Staples Centre paused the clock until Shaq hit a game-winning shot, and the Grizzlies somehow didn't even get an admission that something went wrong on appeal?

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

chunkles posted:

Kinda nervous about the Pistons game tonight. This is the Rockets 4th game in 6 nights, I think the Pistons can take them.
the pistons are good at home, so yeah maybe

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Kibner posted:

FYI, Turner is on pace to have the worst net rating of all time. Now, is the problem his teammates (sometimes, kinda) or him (vastly yes)?

Almost everyone on Portland is struggling. Ed Davis' PER is 7.2, his career PER is 17. Aminu looks awful as a small ball 4. Meyers Leonard somehow has a worse BPM than Evan Turner. Vonleh doesn't look like he even belongs in the league. And CJ and Lillard are as bad as ever on defense.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Almost everyone on Portland is struggling. Ed Davis' PER is 7.2, his career PER is 17. Aminu looks awful as a small ball 4. Meyers Leonard somehow has a worse BPM than Evan Turner. Vonleh doesn't look like he even belongs in the league. And CJ and Lillard are as bad as ever on defense.

Are people playing below their level from previous seasons or is there a major injury or some other change that I'm missing? Or was last season just a best case scenario and this year is more of what everyone had originally expected before that season started?

Matt Moore has been banging the drum about how the Blazers only had a winning record in January and February of last season, but I'm not convinced that really means much.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Jack's Flow posted:

Someone working for the NBA was apparently bored, so he or she uploaded Stromile Swift's Top 20 Dunks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZghWav2tC0

Sure, why not. Still mad that such a perfect name was wasted though.

We were just talking about the Stro Sho in the gameday thread a few days ago so I'm convinced that one of you is responsible for this.

(thank you)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Does Portland have their pick this year ?

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Jack's Flow posted:

Maybe they hired DownToBuck to manage their highlights

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I just realized I'm probably going to end up watching more NCAA basketball than normal this season to watch the top prospects. The joke will be on me for watching even worse quality ball than a Mavs game after Cuban trades the pick for an all-star. (or the pick busts because this looks to be a guard heavy draft and I don't trust college guards) I guess at least I'll be making posts in the prospect/draft thread that will be laughed at in a few years when someone digs them out of the archives.

:negative: 2016-17 Mavs

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I don't get why people are saying the Kings clock operator is bad at his job or screwed up. He started the clock like a half second after the ball was tipped by Cousins, that's pretty drat good reaction time for that unexpected situation and there is a hard limit to just how quick a human can react. The only screw up was the refs for their decision. And the NBA for continuing to leave the human element in officiating decisions

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

The Blazers have the worst defense in the NBA

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

WhyteRyce posted:

I don't get why people are saying the Kings clock operator is bad at his job or screwed up. He started the clock like a half second after the ball was tipped by Cousins, that's pretty drat good reaction time for that unexpected situation and there is a hard limit to just how quick a human can react. The only screw up was the refs for their decision. And the NBA for continuing to leave the human element in officiating decisions
I don't think anyone is mad at the clock operator. The refs just hosed it up.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Spacebump posted:

I just realized I'm probably going to end up watching more NCAA basketball than normal this season to watch the top prospects. The joke will be on me for watching even worse quality ball than a Mavs game after Cuban trades the pick for an all-star. (or the pick busts because this looks to be a guard heavy draft and I don't trust college guards) I guess at least I'll be making posts in the prospect/draft thread that will be laughed at in a few years when someone digs them out of the archives.

:negative: 2016-17 Mavs

Watch Ball and Bridges

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

euphronius posted:

Does Portland have their pick this year ?

Affirmative.

TheShazbot
Feb 20, 2011

Kibner posted:

both.

Lillard and McCollum are atrocious on defense.

Teams know how to stop Portland, and the supporting cast isn't getting it done.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Small subtle things that I hear from podcasts:

-No one gives a gently caress about Miles Plumlee as a finisher. His strength is passing out of a pick and roll, but he's a bad finisher for a roll man.
-Aminu's been out for a long while, so they're forced to run double bigs except their bigs are Plumlee and Leonard
-Evan Turner is being paid 72 million dollars basically sabotage every single second, but due to injuries, they have no choice
-Blazers as a team are not very big, which doesn't doesn't help that most of the roster are bad defenders.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Evan Turner is tearing the Blazers apart. I'm sure he's somehow sabotaging Ezeli's rehab to boot.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I'd like to thank the Blazers bench for making me feel less bad about Terrence Ross's contract.

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010

attackmole posted:

I'd like to thank the Blazers bench for making me feel less bad about Terrence Ross's contract.

You should not feel bad about Terrence Ross's contract. Terrence Ross's contract is Very Good.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Tae posted:

Small subtle things that I hear from podcasts:

-No one gives a gently caress about Miles Plumlee as a finisher. His strength is passing out of a pick and roll, but he's a bad finisher for a roll man.
-Aminu's been out for a long while, so they're forced to run double bigs except their bigs are Plumlee and Leonard
-Evan Turner is being paid 72 million dollars basically sabotage every single second, but due to injuries, they have no choice
-Blazers as a team are not very big, which doesn't doesn't help that most of the roster are bad defenders.

Can we get the Trail Blazers and Timberwolves to switch records?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Lockback posted:

Can we get the Trail Blazers and Timberwolves to switch records?

The Blazers played a way easier schedule, that's why. They'll rack up wins once they face the Suns and Mavs of the league.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Rockets have recalled Chinanu Onuaku and Kyle Wiltjer from RGV. I am ready for this to happen.

Sharparoni
Jan 11, 2004

THE MOST EXCITING MASCOT IN THE LAST 4000 YEARS OF COLLEGE SPORTS

[thinking face emoji]

https://twitter.com/ESPNStatsInfo/status/800798440716255232

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

This checks out

• Locked thread