Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

IcePhoenix posted:

Why would I be? This whole thing started with an "I wonder if" statement and now people are taking it as something I expect to happen.

I wonder if the Angels would trade Trout to the Yankees for Jacoby Ellsbury straight up.

(Also as somebody who drafted AP first round in their work league, I love/hate your new avatar.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I was just trying to figure out what your reasoning was. If you're just curious, then no, they won't do that.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Inspector_666 posted:

I wonder if the Angels would trade Trout to the Yankees for Jacoby Ellsbury straight up.

(Also as somebody who drafted AP first round in their work league, I love/hate your new avatar.)

I mean, in my opinion they should.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Inspector_666 posted:

My avatar is Teddy!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Paul Zuvella posted:

I mean, in my opinion they should.

Well yeah, duh.

IcePhoenix posted:

My avatar is Teddy!

That makes more sense but I still appreciate it!

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

IcePhoenix posted:

My avatar is Teddy!

It seems someone can't tell black men apart!

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Cardinals gave Cecil 4 yrs/30 MM? Chapman might get that absurd deal he's looking for after all.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Brett Cecil is good. I would rather pay him that than Chapman $20m a year.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Intruder posted:

It seems someone can't tell black men apart!

My entire NFL knowledge is limited to fantasy-related info, so player numbers (at least non-Giants) is right out.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

It was just a dumb joke but for realsies RBs aren't allowed to have single digit numbers IIRC

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Intruder posted:

It was just a dumb joke but for realsies RBs aren't allowed to have single digit numbers IIRC

I know. It's funny, I was telling somebody I know just enough about the NFL now to be dangerous, and there you go!

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

tadashi posted:

Teams really should trade with Theo Epstein and Jed Hoyer because they might rip you off but you might also end up with a possible best-in-generation infielder or at least one of the best.

Id rather still have him. I think we could have gotten another reliever and won the WS and still kept that guy. We're going to hate that move for the next 20 years.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

bad boy in the boy band posted:

Id rather still have him. I think we could have gotten another reliever and won the WS and still kept that guy. We're going to hate that move for the next 20 years.

The Cubs won the World Series for the first time in over a century. All moves justified.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I feel confident in saying that unless they had gotten Miller instead, the Cubs would not have won the WS without Chapman.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Niwrad posted:

I feel confident in saying that unless they had gotten Miller instead, the Cubs would not have won the WS without Chapman.

Seriously.

While He's likely not worth the high price he's gonna get paid.

Chapman was really really loving good for the Cubs this offseason. His bad outings were both due to the Manager putting him unnecessarily difficult and almost impossible(almost got out of one of them with two straight strikeouts with the bases loaded but then gave up a base hit) situations, and with really high usage for a guy not used to it.

Chapman was criminally underrated by Cubs fans this year. I mean gently caress him as a person but yeah.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
:wtf: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources-rangers-prospects-questioned-for-allegedly-sexually-hazing-underage-teammate-210055315.html

quote:

Eight Texas Rangers prospects were questioned by police in the Dominican Republic after a video showed a group of players sexually assaulting an underage teammate in a hazing incident that targeted players new to the team’s Dominican complex, sources familiar with the case told Yahoo Sports.

While prosecutors in the Dominican Republic have yet to press charges for the alleged assault, they told the court they intend to charge at least four players who held down a teammate and masturbated him, sources told Yahoo Sports.

Among those expected to be charged are the younger brother of Rangers second baseman Rougned Odor, also named Rougned, and Yohel Pozo, a top catching prospect, both 19 years old. The players facing potential charges have been told not to leave the country, according to sources.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

No one with any sense will ever think twice about that move ever again.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
just boys being boys imo.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Yikes, Rangers.

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

Dexo posted:

just boys being boys imo.

No gay stuff

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Like Seriously. Championships are precious. If you have a chance to win one and you have a glaring weakness at a position or role you burn those prospects to get the pieces you need. The infield core of this team is set for a while.

The Cubs have infielders out the loving wazoo. Like if there is one thing I trust Theo, Jed, and Jason to do is find loving infielders. They put this one together(sans Baez anyway, and they kept him and developed him)

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
only cub fans will second guess moves that won them their first title in 108 years

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Prospect hugging is one thing, wishing you had prospect hugged instead of winning the drat world series is on a whole new level and I'm glad it was a Cubs fan that took us there.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Poque posted:

only cub fans will second guess moves that won them their first title in 108 years

Only insane ones tbh.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Tender Bender posted:

Prospect hugging is one thing, wishing you had prospect hugged instead of winning the drat world series is on a whole new level and I'm glad it was a Cubs fan that took us there.

I never said I'd trade the World Series to have Torres back. You're being deliberately obtuse.

I said I think we could have won the Series AND kept Torres. Reading comprehension is your friend.

Nice try, though. Try to keep up.

BigBallChunkyTime fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Nov 21, 2016

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Doesn't sound like a happy ending.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

TMMadman posted:

Doesn't sound like a happy ending.

Hey, I have a great idea! Let's hold him down and jerk him off and then call him gay and laugh!

But we're not gay, even though we're the ones touching his junk.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Torres was worth trading for what Chapman did in Game 5 alone.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

All my teams are composed of sexual deviants, and as long as they win that's A-okay.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

I never said I'd trade the World Series to have Torres back. You're being deliberately obtuse.

I said I think we could have won the Series AND kept Torres. Reading comprehension is your friend.

Yes I too can say the Cubs would have won with *insert better reliever here*. I'll go one step further. The Cubs would have won without a different reliever if they had just sprinkled magic pixie dust on Strop and he turned into Miller

No freaking team was going to deal their top flight reliever/closer, who would be notably better than Rondon(who was actually decent at the time of the trade), without Scwarbs or Torres being included in the deal.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Niwrad posted:

Torres was worth trading for what Chapman did in Game 5 alone.

Not saying Chapman wasn't awesome. He was. I said from day one we traded way too goddamn much to rent him.

I will look back at this past offseason with nothing but great fondness for the rest of my life, and World Series highlights videos on Youtube will get me through til Opening Day. But when you have a guy with the potential that Torres does, I think you need more than a rental for him.

I wouldn't be saying this if Chapman had signed long term with us.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

What closer would you have rather gotten? You traded a lesser prospect for Montgomery, and look at what Cleveland gave up for Miller in terms of setting the market.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Hey, I have a great idea! Let's hold him down and jerk him off and then call him gay and laugh!

But we're not gay, even though we're the ones touching his junk.

I can't be the only one who thinks that if the victim could have turned it around on the assaulters by making it weird for them. If the victim had made sounds like he was enjoying it or said something like 'hey could one of you spit on it to give me a little lube' or 'man, this is really hot' then things would have gotten really strange for the ones doing the assault.

Edit - although I guess it might have gotten violent instead.

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

cards released brayan pena, what a great back up for yadi he was and will be missed

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

"I'd still rather have him." "We're gonna hate that move for the next 20 years." Whoops yeah I'm a dummy for thinking you were second guessing the trade instead of just musing about how it would be awesome to have won all the games you won WITHOUT having traded for the players that won those games.

You don't know how they would have done without Chapman. Again, Miller was the only comparable reliever out there and you're giving up a bigger package if you want him.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Not saying Chapman wasn't awesome. He was. I said from day one we traded way too goddamn much to rent him.

I will look back at this past offseason with nothing but great fondness for the rest of my life, and World Series highlights videos on Youtube will get me through til Opening Day. But when you have a guy with the potential that Torres does, I think you need more than a rental for him.

I wouldn't be saying this if Chapman had signed long term with us.

I'd maybe say that if they traded someone like Schwarber for him. Someone who you can safely assume has good MLB caliber talent. But Torres is still 19 years old. A guy in A ball. Still a long ways from being in the big leagues. There are a lot of guys who could play well in A ball that couldn't develop in to ML stars (remember Felix Pie was shredding A ball too at 19).

Now I understand if you think they overpaid for a 1-year rental closer, but what other options did they have? It was a sellers market and Chapman was the best closer available. It filled a huge hole the Cubs had.

What did you think the Cubs should have done at the deadline?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Prospect hugging is the dumbest thing, but made infinitely moreso when the trade your team made had a tangible impact on winning the championship

I say this as someone who prospect hugs like loving crazy

I remember how massive the return in the Hunter Pence traded appeared, and not a single one of those guys is any good

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Intruder posted:

Prospect hugging is the dumbest thing, but made infinitely moreso when the trade your team made had a tangible impact on winning the championship

I say this as someone who prospect hugs like loving crazy

Amen

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Also "We could still have won without Chapman" isn't a very good counter to "We did win with Chapman." The series was as close as it could be and went into extras in game freaking 7, and if you want to blame Chapman for it going into extras fine, but he probably would have pitched better if Maddon hadn't decided to use him for 4 outs in game 6 for some crazy reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Scob posted:

cards released brayan pena, what a great back up for yadi he was and will be missed

All hail Carson Kelly, heir apparent to Yadi.

• Locked thread