Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Just beat the main story (Lycanroc, Zygarde 10%, Arcanine, Primarina, Machoke, Solgaleo). The totem challenges were generally pretty great.
Definitely slowed down on the catching nearer to the end as I never found a false swiper; which kinda left me underpowered and using potions in some later battles (I usually never need to), but I still got through without too much trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
A Proper Guide to Chaining Pokemon*:

1. Snorlax
2. Give him Body Slam, Rest, Hold Back, and Happy Hour
3. Chain for days

*Ghost chaining can ignore this guide. I have no help for you.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

holy loving poo poo it's so loving hard to catch anything decent with a good nature in this game, i reset for a Jolly Litten and even that kinda sucks... I will literally suck a dick for a decent Modest/Timid female Salandit at this point. Is the Toxapek pre-evo thingie relatively easy to catch in the wild?? Or Golisopod's?
hahahahahahaha

(Wimpod isn't so bad though I think)

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Lhet posted:

Just beat the main story (Lycanroc, Zygarde 10%, Arcanine, Primarina, Machoke, Solgaleo). The totem challenges were generally pretty great.
Definitely slowed down on the catching nearer to the end as I never found a false swiper; which kinda left me underpowered and using potions in some later battles (I usually never need to), but I still got through without too much trouble.

It's a TM so just make one, early too.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Lhet posted:

I never found a false swiper

The Mystery Gift Munchlax comes with Hold Back, which is another name for False Swipe.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

DACK FAYDEN posted:

hahahahahahaha

(Wimpod isn't so bad though I think)

I was riding my tauros in the last island when i saw a Wimpod and went "oh, i should chase that?" pressed be and stampede the fucker. Felt good.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

cheetah7071 posted:

Lillie, take your goddamn moonbat. You said back on exeggutor island you wanted to be a trainer, now stuff your lunala into a ball and beat up some twerp's rattata with it. If you give it to me it's going to just rot in a box forever.

That aside, I think Lillie is my favorite pokemon NPC since like Cynthia, and possibly ever.

End game spoilers Most hosed up thing is that it asks you to give it nickname. I had a couple in mind but calling it anything but Nebby felt wrong as hell.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I honestly do not recall Dexio and Sina being in XY and thought their glasses were meant to be sign of them being transplants from Ruby and Sapphire. Were they post-game?

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Is there a limit to how many friends a pokemon can call?? Been trying to catch a female magby for like 20 minutes now but the second I down the pokemon she calls over, she calls another one before I can throw a ball.

Blaine the Train
Aug 18, 2006
Choo choo, pardner.

Calaveron posted:

I honestly do not recall Dexio and Sina being in XY and thought their glasses were meant to be sign of them being transplants from Ruby and Sapphire. Were they post-game?

They were Sycamore's assistants who did gently caress-all aside from dressing up like superheroes for no reason.

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.

I named all my Pokemon in GO with the same convention.
Except for Slowbro. That just ended up being "OW MY TAIL."

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

A Spider Covets posted:

Is there a limit to how many friends a pokemon can call?? Been trying to catch a female magby for like 20 minutes now but the second I down the pokemon she calls over, she calls another one before I can throw a ball.

Please just put a status effect on it.

If it's not already in the OP the top time should be bold with sirens "Status effects stop SOS calls"

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

A Spider Covets posted:

Magby is friends with the entire neighborhood

#squadgoals

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

I don't remember what Dexio and Sina did in XY at all but I am glad they got to go on a Hawaiian date vacation

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

End game spoilers Most hosed up thing is that it asks you to give it nickname. I had a couple in mind but calling it anything but Nebby felt wrong as hell.

i named it "Nooby"

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Please just put a status effect on it.

If it's not already in the OP the top time should be bold with sirens "Status effects stop SOS calls"

I was hatching eggs when I ran into it, I don't have a Pokemon on me with status moves so that's why I asked.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

A Spider Covets posted:

throwing a status effect on 'em either dramatically reduces the chance of another pokemon or stops it from happening at all, people aren't sure on which yet but either way have a t-wave user on-hand

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Pokemon shouldnt be able to call for help in the same turn if they've already used their turn for something else

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

I gave up and ran from it, it was getting ridiculous. Wish they'd implemented a limit on how many they can summon per battle though, eesh.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Countblanc posted:

i named it "Nooby"

too easy. one love

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I think this might be my favorite Pokémon game since Gen 1/2 :3:

It's me. I'm the person who reads all the text, enjoys the cutscenes/story and all the little touches. Trainers being in the battle, the Z-moves, the trials, the ride Pokémon (and lack of HMs), the fact that trainers now actually make eye contact to initiate combat, the environments (houses feel like houses, they have pet beds for their Pokémon and everything!) and all the other changes. The setting is also so nice and everything's cute, the humor is great and there's some really good music. For the first time since Gen 2 I actually love most of the new Pokémon too! I've probably spent hours petting my Pokémon and feeding them beans, brushing off dust and combing their fur :kimchi:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Calaveron posted:

This stuff gives me life since i replayed Y a bit ago. Nope, those two are in XY the entire game. You meet them in Sycamore's lab, you see them in almost every Flare location, they're involved in many, many of the cutscenes. Their costumes are pure white with striking blue and red masks and scarfs and they managed to be the most forgettable characters ever!

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

This stuff gives me life since i replayed Y a bit ago. Nope, those two are in XY the entire game. You meet them in Sycamore's lab, you see them in almost every Flare location, they're involved in many, many of the cutscenes. Their costumes are pure white with striking blue and red masks and scarfs and they managed to be the most forgettable characters ever!

XY was a very pretty game with very nice locations but everything else was incredibly forgettable.
Like this is what I recall about the story, without looking at Bulbasaurpedia
You are French
You like Pokemon so they give you a Pokemon so you can catch they and become a league champion
Along the way you butt heads with a team of fashion obsessed morons led by an imbecile who want to harness the power of a Pokemon that represents the concept of death (I played Y) to create a super weapon that will kill everyone but them because ?????
At the end a giant hobo challenges you to a fight during your celebratory parade because ?????
Also there's three idiots and an exasperated rival who follow you throughout the entire game trying to catch a glimpse of your glory

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Wait, are you saying that the Masked Defenders of Kalos are Sina and Dexio? That's ridiculous! Next thing you're going to tell me that Kukui is the Masked Royal...

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

How late game is the waterfall tm? My wimpod is going to evolve soon.

Evil Eagle fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Nov 21, 2016

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

holy loving poo poo it's so loving hard to catch anything decent with a good nature in this game, i reset for a Jolly Litten and even that kinda sucks... I will literally suck a dick for a decent Modest/Timid female Salandit at this point. Is the Toxapek pre-evo thingie relatively easy to catch in the wild?? Or Golisopod's?

Ahahahahahaha

For the record: first you have to track down a Corsola. You can find them at the fishing spots around the first island, but they're a rare spawn--you're going to be digging through Magikarp, Wishiwashi, and the occasional Luvdisc for quite a while before you find a Corsola. Then you beat up that Corsola, until it calls for help. It will probably call another Corsola. Keep chaining Corsola, and eventually one of them is going to call a Mareanie (who, hilariously, attacks the Corsola). Now you're one step of the way, but it also doesn't really have the defenses it needs to do its job until it evolves at level 38.

Have fun!

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Pyroi posted:

Wait, are you saying that the Masked Defenders of Kalos are Sina and Dexio? That's ridiculous! Next thing you're going to tell me that Kukui is the Masked Royal...

Ending spoilers: God i loving love that HIS WIFE doesn't know! Is there any evidence towards Kukui not being a legit professor? like, he "studies" moves, but they're probably dumb wrestling training anyway, does he do any professing??

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
X & Y have some of the most generic 'video game' location designs with nothing really to them outside their core function of 'I'm the ice level'. Hell Kalos is such a boring region that it promises some cool new things but never actually tries to do anything with them ("There's totally a racetrack right off camera"). It's less interesting and coherent than the previous gen which was a setting built entirely around bridges.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The only thing I remember from XY was the fashion dress-up.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Evil Eagle posted:

How late game is the waterfall tm? My wimpod is going to evolve soon.

4th island, there's a pair of swimmers who give you surf and waterfall if you beat them. I think they're either time-sensitive or plot-locked though because they weren't where they should've been (the beach with the black sand and geyser) the first time I went there, and I only went back after i'd beaten the game.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Ending spoilers: God i loving love that HIS WIFE doesn't know! Is there any evidence towards Kukui not being a legit professor? like, he "studies" moves, but they're probably dumb wrestling training anyway, does he do any professing??

I think his wife knows as during the credits he has the mask hanging up behind them when they're taking the photo. I also assume he's a legit prof as he apparently funded the whole League thing for Alola.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

The Lord of Hats posted:

Ahahahahahaha

For the record: first you have to track down a Corsola. You can find them at the fishing spots around the first island, but they're a rare spawn--you're going to be digging through Magikarp, Wishiwashi, and the occasional Luvdisc for quite a while before you find a Corsola. Then you beat up that Corsola, until it calls for help. It will probably call another Corsola. Keep chaining Corsola, and eventually one of them is going to call a Mareanie (who, hilariously, attacks the Corsola). Now you're one step of the way, but it also doesn't really have the defenses it needs to do its job until it evolves at level 38.

Have fun!

For the love of loving GOD, Pokemon. And they wonder why people hack or cheat in this game...

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

X & Y have some of the most generic 'video game' location designs with nothing really to them outside their core function of 'I'm the ice level'. Hell Kalos is such a boring region that it promises some cool new things but never actually tries to do anything with them ("There's totally a racetrack right off camera"). It's less interesting and coherent than the previous gen which was a setting built entirely around bridges.

Completely disagree with this, Kalos is wonderful.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Holy hell this Totem Mimikyu is kicking my rear end.

Mudsdale seems to be my best shot(thanks Stamina), but even then I can't get it below half health without my entire team dying. Looks like it's time to start abusing the rare candy meals in the Plaza.

Not complaining; it's refreshing to play the game normally and have things pose an actual challenge.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Josuke Higashikata posted:

e:
^ Explains the poo poo framerates. Get your poo poo together GF, christ.

It's a genius move in the long run though. Those models will probably look amazing on the switch, and they can probably be used for at least another gen or two before the pokemon need a graphics upgrade.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

So,regarding happiness evolutions-does the pokemon in question have to be your front-line fighter? Or does just having him in the party work? Sorry for being a dumb,I've never bothered with this stuff before.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Don't make golisopod your designated false swiper, people. I loving ran away from tapu koko during the ending sequence thanks to that little bastard.

Later I went and caught all four of them in luxury balls to atone.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Woof, the grass trial nearly wiped me. I don't even remember the last time I came that close to wiping out in a Pokemon game. Gen 1?

Think I had 2 guys left out of a party of 6 and the Salandit I caught to be my ace in the hole went down to a critical Pluck from a summoned Trumbeak (which you're not prepared for, this being a grass totem). I barely squeaked by with Dartrix and Pluck but it could have ended instantly if Trumbeak wanted to.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

I enjoyed Kalos a lot more than Hoenn. It had more character and didn't make me spend too much time in the water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

A Spider Covets posted:

I gave up and ran from it, it was getting ridiculous. Wish they'd implemented a limit on how many they can summon per battle though, eesh.

So my boss got this game (I haven't yet) but this was a feature I didn't know was in it and he's saying it's basically making him hate the game. He says the game is super slow, encounter rate high, and apparently enemies can just infinitely call in reenforcements? That's a dumb design decision unless you get a Mon who knows a sleep move near the start of the game.