Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

TheBigAristotle posted:

Anyone got a few links to why Tulsi Gabbard sucks? She's outside my political radar, Hawaii barely exists to me, nothing personal.

All I've gotten when I asked the same question was a really lovely article from alternet.org (lol) and a lovely blogpost full of typos from back in 2012.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

demonicon posted:

So I am here. Reading all the messages you guys have. Feeling a bit guilty because of My whiteness but then reading all your terrible polotics you want to implement.

You guys are the reason the left didnt win. Your college un realism your loving wrong optimism your lovely view of the world from the eye of one spoiled child is the reason the left will never win.

The problem is that you guys are caring about problems the average family doesn't even know about. The bigger problem is that you guys don't even know about the problems a typical family has in the US.

And do you know why you will never win? Because 90% of you guys reading that will say that they care more about Trans gender than the typical US family.

Nope. The left has no room to abandon minorities. If you think so, go be a republican I guess.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Gringostar posted:

No one likes to bring up aunt frank my dude.

ah youre a bigot then

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

demonicon posted:

So I am here. Reading all the messages you guys have. Feeling a bit guilty because of My whiteness but then reading all your terrible polotics you want to implement.

You guys are the reason the left didnt win. Your college un realism your loving wrong optimism your lovely view of the world from the eye of one spoiled child is the reason the left will never win.

The problem is that you guys are caring about problems the average family doesn't even know about. The bigger problem is that you guys don't even know about the problems a typical family has in the US.

And do you know why you will never win? Because 90% of you guys reading that will say that they care more about Trans gender than the typical US family.

The typical US family will not benefit from a Trump presidency. His economic policy is poo poo, his cabinet is stocked with Republican ghouls who will gleefully gut Medicare and other social aid, and his relations with minorities are terrible.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Gringostar posted:

No one likes to bring up aunt frank my dude.

Yeah, trans folks are in a similar postion to gay folks a while back, where more people were becoming aware of it as a thing but most were :either unfamiliar with anyone who was gay, or it was a shame not talked about even within the family.

The uphill battle is even steeper here because there are fewer trans people and the narrative isn't as whitebread America friendly as "love wins," but it can be won.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

All I've gotten when I asked the same question was a really lovely article from alternet.org (lol) and a lovely blogpost full of typos from back in 2012.

she regularly receives support from hardcore hindu nationalists who hate muslims.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

demonicon posted:

Care to enlighten us?

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Tir McDohl posted:

Nope. The left has no room to abandon minorities.
They really, really want to, if some posters here are any indication.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Al-Saqr posted:

she regularly receives support from hardcore hindu nationalists who hate muslims.

source?

also, what kind of support?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Tir McDohl posted:

Nope. The left has no room to abandon minorities. If you think so, go be a republican I guess.

He's German. And a (yet another) software developer.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Quorum posted:

Yeah, trans folks are in a similar postion to gay folks a while back, where more people were becoming aware of it as a thing but most were :either unfamiliar with anyone who was gay, or it was a shame not talked about even within the family.

The uphill battle is even steeper here because there are fewer trans people and the narrative isn't as whitebread America friendly as "love wins," but it can be won.

I propose the slogan of "Mind your own goddamn business." As rights for transgendered folks has nothing to do with anyone else's rights.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
There's this old adage, "people won't remember what you said, they'll just remember how you made them feel." Nobody hurt by the new administration will blame those responsible as long as they keep getting flattered.

demonicon
Mar 29, 2011

C2C - 2.0 posted:

What are the "typical family problems" & how is Trump and his ilk going to fix them?

The problems a family in the US cares most about is to have a job for one of the parents, child care for the kid and an overall hopeful economic lookout.

Of course Trump will do nothing about it. But this "super left grass roots sa movement" will hurt more than actually help.

You guys are so super left and so far removed from anyone actually having to take care of a family it's not even funny.

Transgender rights? No one cares about it. Transgender right are rights for about 1% of the population. Of course this is the most important thing in this community. And you guys wonder why you lost the election.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Forgall posted:

They really, really want to, if some posters here are any indication.

I want to point out I made that statement from the position of someone very much on the Bernie wing of the democratic party that agrees that identity politics are not enough. The answer isn't abandoning these groups though. We need to do both, not be "republicans but not as bad and not racist/sexist"

The call to abandon sickens me.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Quorum posted:

Oh yeah. I mean in the last several years it's become almost completely socially acceptable to be out and gay even in conservative circles because of the increasing exposure and normalization of homosexuality while being out and trans is still a bit no no for a lot of people in liberal circles because they're not familiar with them due to lack of exposure.

Maybe a trans eye for the strait guy show needs to happen? Fashion instead of home decor?

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

Also the economic anxiety poo poo, give it a rest. These socioeconomically disadvantaged people aren't all racists and painting them with a broad brush does more harm than good.

They voted for a racist promising racist policies - they are racist. I'm not going to stop calling them what they are in the hopes their feelings aren't hurt and they will switch sides. If they can't come around on their own, I don't want them on my side - even if it means losing.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

demonicon posted:

Transgender rights? No one cares about it. Transgender right are rights for about 1% of the population. Of course this is the most important thing in this community. And you guys wonder why you lost the election.

Transgender rights don't have the slightest effect on anyone that isn't transgender. They don't cost money or interfere with the average family. If they were controversial, it was because the right threw a poo poo fit over nothing.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

demonicon posted:

The problems a family in the US cares most about is to have a job for one of the parents, child care for the kid and an overall hopeful economic lookout.

Of course Trump will do nothing about it. But this "super left grass roots sa movement" will hurt more than actually help.

You guys are so super left and so far removed from anyone actually having to take care of a family it's not even funny.

Ah, the "They don't matter!" argument.

I've literally heard (a highly bigoted and very lucky economically) person tell a transgender person that recently. During an election season where they stood to lose what little protections they had earned in their state, no less. And that's setting aside the intersection of economic and civil rights that the Democrat's are supposed to represent.

Perhaps you could explain why we should abandon people in the face of some bad dudes getting into office? That sort of mealy-mouthed cowardice was why the Democrats were a joke for almost two decades. And why they'd also lose elections since nothing says "Watch out for yourself, FYGM prevails." like looking at another minority group and realizing that the political party that is supposed to be supporting you might consider you to outlive your usefulness too one day.

Alternatively: Kindly go gently caress yourself?

Archonex fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Nov 21, 2016

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Zeeman posted:

A bit of good news, hopefully: http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/lo...8cc72ee068.html

quote:

With this decision, partisan gerrymandering should come to an end in Wisconsin and is now on its way to extinction across the nation," Hebert said. "And with the implementation of the test we proposed and the court accepted, there will be, for the first time, a standard to identify this harmful practice."

This guy is optimistic as hell. I'll have whatever he's having

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me
As a crazy leftist tranny, the dems lost because they lost touch with the working class.

Gee, Hillary, it's nice you let me get to put an "F" on my passport, but it doesn't loving matter, because me and no one I know can find work and I'm more concerned with making sure I can eat food and pay rent, not stop hundreds on some form of ID.

There's no way I could afford it, so what does it matter?

Skanker
Mar 21, 2013

demonicon posted:

a large chunk of this thread has been about what to do with the economy. the problem is you, like most republicans, can't hear one word about a minority group without thinking too much has been said about them.

demonicon
Mar 29, 2011

Archonex posted:

I've literally heard people tell a transgender person that. During an election season where they stood to lose what little protections they had earned in their state, no less. And that's setting aside the intersection of economic and civil rights that the Democrat's are supposed to represent.

Kindly go gently caress yourself?

Yeah run on it and go gently caress yourself for another 8 years of Republican domination.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

BarbarianElephant posted:

Transgender rights don't have the slightest effect on anyone that isn't transgender. They don't cost money or interfere with the average family. If they were controversial, it was because the right threw a poo poo fit over nothing.

i think his problem is that we've been ignoring an economic message in lieu of the social justice message of transgender rights.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Talmonis posted:

I propose the slogan of "Mind your own goddamn business." As rights for transgendered folks has nothing to do with anyone else's rights.

that's already the slogan of anti-trans groups that think transgender people are invading bathrooms to do nefarious things like poop in the vicinity of cis women

edit: to be clear, i agree with you, but it's a message that bigots are happy to twist to match their own insane purposes

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

demonicon posted:

My friend, those sexual/gender rights will apply to all people, even future transgender folk will benefit from these rights, so it's not smart to take a snapshot and say that they will only afect x% of the population.

Yes, jobs are a very important thing, and most (but not all) leftists now agree that the way the establishment democrats ran their messaging was dumb and bad.

Now we know we have to have a prosperous economic plan for all, a strong racial justice plank, and an equally strong LGBTQ rights plank so all americans feel included.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

Thalantos posted:

As a crazy leftist tranny, the dems lost because they lost touch with the working class.

Gee, Hillary, it's nice you let me get to put an "F" on my passport, but it doesn't loving matter, because me and no one I know can find work and I'm more concerned with making sure I can eat food and pay rent, not stop hundreds on some form of ID.

Well, for one thing it could very well be legal to just fire you for being trans the country over, rather than working toward eliminating that like the Democrats were trying to do.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

demonicon posted:

So when no one was looking, you took a thorough census of SA members?

What's funny: your blanket statement about posters on this forum that is likely not reflective of reality.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Thalantos posted:

That's true, even if the Dems supported the policies to help the working class, that message couldn't ever get across the chasm. The campaign did poorly but the media isolation within the electorate was a significant factor.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Archonex posted:

Electorally, they don't.

Sad but true.

There really aren't enough trans people, nor do most people have enough contact with trans issues, for it to be meaningful for many/most voters, and we saw this election that people will vote fr their own material concerns instead of for how others are affected by things.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Skanker posted:

a large chunk of this thread has been about what to do with the economy. the problem is you, like most republicans, can't hear one word about a minority group without thinking too much has been said about them.

demonicon
Mar 29, 2011
Btw I am German. Politically active, left wing, and member of a union.

But I also have a family to support

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Thalantos posted:

This, yeah.

The answer is actual progressive leftism. We don't beat racism by cutting loose the scapegoats. We best racism with a better scapegoat (i.e. class war).

We have to re target that rage onto the targets that actually deserve it.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

TyrantWD posted:

They voted for a racist promising racist policies - they are racist. I'm not going to stop calling them what they are in the hopes their feelings aren't hurt and they will switch sides. If they can't come around on their own, I don't want them on my side - even if it means losing.

So, all the working class latinxs, black people, and asians that went from Obama to Trump are racists? And you'd rather keep on hilariously losing elections rather than admit that maybe we shouldn't demonize the working class?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

demonicon posted:

both are important imo. hillary's campaign failed us by failing to have an economic message that speaks to the working poor

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

demonicon posted:

Btw I am German. Politically active, left wing, and member of a union.

But I also have a family to support

So are you even in the US?

Why are you here?

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
trans rights is one of those topics that is really good at outing the people who will be voting straight ticket republican in ten year's time

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/lannadelgrey/status/800817349427347456

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Pretty sure we're seeing the results of the huge brain drain that were the Hillary toxxes. We're the wreckage that was left over. Anyone get a count on how many were banned/perma banned?

Ah yes we're really missing the people from the old thread

*ignores that this is the third or fourth iteration of UsPol November*

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Lizard people are technically people right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Pedro De Heredia posted:

Electorally, they don't.

Sad but true.

There really aren't enough trans people, nor do most people have enough contact with trans issues, for it to be meaningful for many/most voters, and we saw this election that people will vote fr their own material concerns instead of for how others are affected by things.

I don't disagree, but LGBT rights weren't the be-all-end-all issue that Democrats ran on.

• Locked thread