Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

goku chewbacca posted:

She's now scheduled with Dr. Thomas S. Boland,M.D. for LASIK (with an IK), iLasik or IntraLASIK branding with an IntraLase machine. Looking over their website, there's mention of Wavefront Custom Vision Correction (VISX® CustomVue™), but I'm not sure that's what she's scheduled for. Is Wavefront Custom something she should insist on?

It's not something you have to insist on. People are generally happy with any form of LASIK these days. CustomVue will be a little more $$$ if that's not what's already scheduled.

goku chewbacca posted:

The Dr. did say that there's a slightly reduced chance of achieving 20/20 the first time because of her severe prescription but that they could do it again in 3-6 months if it's not perfect. Something about it being safer to err towards under-correction from her current poor vision rather than overcorrecting and removing too much cornea tissue.

Yea, at the -10/-11 range I'd expect a very good chance of wanting to go back for an enhancement in the short-term (within a couple years). I'd probably wait the full twelve months if possible to get the free enhancement.

goku chewbacca posted:

Does all of this seem right? Price and time for corrections and aftercare are typical?

Within normalcy yea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
If I'm completely new to this and would like to search for reputable, well-established providers of this service local to my area, what should I be looking for?

I'm in Jacksonville, FL, and want to get started on the vetting process now with potential for the surgery happening in the first quarter of next year.

I'd rather ask a thread full of people who've undergone various related surgeries, than google blindly while hoping I find the thing I'm searching for. Maybe you'll know more appropriate search parameters, or be aware of things I should try to avoid when reviewing a practice I wouldn't otherwise be aware of.

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe
Massive thanks to everyone in the thread who chimed in with their Lasik experience- my procedure yesterday went perfectly, and my checkup this morning was great! I've spent all day marveling at how much more I can see!!

To anyone considering Lasik: I would say it's less painful/ nerve wracking than getting a cavity filled. Honestly the worst part about it was the anticipation. The procedure itself did not hurt, it felt weird when they put the suction immobilization on my eye but it didn't hurt. Also the smell of lasers searing my eyeball was hella gross and smelled like burning plastic.

Once the numbing drops wore off yeah, eyes were in HELLAH pain, but at that point I was doped up on Tylenol PM so I didn't really care. Woke up four hours later with no pain, and today there's been no pain, no irritation. My eyes do feel tired, like I've been studying for a while, and there is soreness from the bruising caused by the suction immobilizers. But, absolutely nothing like the irritation I got from wearing contacts.

All in all, absofuckingloutely worth it!!!!

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

nickhimself posted:

If I'm completely new to this and would like to search for reputable, well-established providers of this service local to my area, what should I be looking for?

A place that has some experience and that has been around for a little bit of time.

The only people I've heard about who've had major issues were those who went for free LASIK from someone just starting out.

Zogo fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Oct 29, 2016

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

30 Goddamned Dicks posted:

Also the smell of lasers searing my eyeball was hella gross and smelled like burning plastic.

Once the numbing drops wore off yeah, eyes were in HELLAH pain

The first four hours are the worst. And than it's magically nbd. Also that smell was so strange.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
the smell is so distinctly that of burning hair imo that i'm surprised everyone doesn't describe it as that.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Arcland posted:

The first four hours are the worst. And than it's magically nbd. Also that smell was so strange.

The worst...how? You had pain after LASIK?

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
it was like 4 years ago that i had mine done, but i had zero pain from LASIK. getting the numbing eye-drops pre-surgery, and the burning hair smell was really the most annoying thing. light-sensitivty was an issue for like half a day, but that was literally it. got them thick corneas tho :wink:

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Same. I had LASIK in my left eye and it was pain free - mild discomfort during the procedure, mostly due to the fact that I couldn't shut my eyes. I had to do PRK on my right eye and the pain during that recovery loving SUCKED. I'm lucky in that I healed fast so the pain was the same day, rather than a couple days later which is apparently normal. That was 5 days ago and I'm 20/30 in the right eye, and was 20/20 5 days after LASIK (60 days ago).

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Grandmother of Five posted:

the smell is so distinctly that of burning hair imo that i'm surprised everyone doesn't describe it as that.

I thought it was more like cheap microwaved hotdogs.

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

Shooting Blanks posted:

The worst...how? You had pain after LASIK?

The worst as in the worst part of having lasik. I should have clarified that. My eyes were hurting the first four hours and I couldn't stand to keep them open. After the four hours they were irritated and I still preferred a dark room but it was acceptable. The next day I was fine. A lot of people get drugs during surgery/after that knock them out for that period. I'm at about a month and a week now. And very rarely do I use drops. And it's both more when I'm bored and thinking about my eyes, or when rather focused on a computer screen. Like I feel no need to use drops despite having used none today despite getting up ~10 hours ago.

Grandmother of Five posted:

It is like that but it's also something else. It's such a strange smell.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
The worst part after the surgery is definitely the 2-4 hours where you feel like you have something in your eye but you can't touch it.

For what you get out of it having irritated eyes for a couple hours is totally worth it.

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

My vision has stabilized on 20 15. :confuoot:

Very happy I got the procedure. One of the really annoying things about glasses is needing to wear them when on the computer but staying back from the screen.

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe
How long after surgery did y'all have to use lubricating eyedrops? I'm two weeks out so I know I have a while before everything heals up, and my surgeon said I don't have any clinical signs of dry eye, but if I don't use eyedrops every hour and a half or so my eyes start to feel gummy. It's annoying because I want to start wearing makeup again but can't when I'm using eyedrops so much.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

I'm still using them occasionally, but after the first couple weeks my doc said simply to use them if I need them.

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

Fun Shoe
Yeah that's my thing, after an hour and a half I start feeling like I need them. Just wondering when the needing them all the time feeling goes away.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
I don't think it was ever hour and a half bad for me aside from the first day before I went to sleep, nor did I ever have a gummy feeling aside from when I put in the medicated drops and that was more from my eyelids being slightly sticky. I basically always just had to remember to put the lubricating ones in after the first 24 hours because most of the irritation went away. I did the minimum suggested schedule for all phases of recovery. After the first few days to a week my eyes felt mostly normal.

That's not to say something in particular is wrong, just that that doesn't match my experience.

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

Fun Shoe
Yeah thanks for the reply! In reading around I think it's just normal dry eye feeling, and the interbutts says that's totally normal and not a cause for worry. Is just annoying as all hell tho!

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

They cut all your nerves when they made the flap, and that takes about 6 months to fully heal.
That's why you need so much lube, your eyes don't know how dry they are, so they don't make enough tears.

Get used to the constant lubing, it will heal faster if you are diligent about it. My need for constant lubing tapered off about about 2 months.

I've spent all day marveling at how much more I can see!!

Kind of shocking, isn't it?
When you first sit up from the lasers, you're all chemically and emotionally hosed up, but you can SEE!

To anyone considering Lasik: I would say it's less painful/ nerve wracking than getting a cavity filled. Honestly the worst part about it was the anticipation. The procedure itself did not hurt, it felt weird when they put the suction immobilization on my eye but it didn't hurt. Also the smell of lasers searing my eyeball was hella gross and smelled like burning plastic.

Oh god, I wish they had warned me about the smell. It's awful, and its two inches from your nose.
Overall, the process was pretty intense. I thought the suction cup was the most painful part.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

How long does the procedure last? And the halo side effect I've read about, is that permanent or temporary?

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

The part where you're laying down and getting lasered takes like 3-5 minutes. In my case, it took about as long for me to lay down and get comfortable as it did to laser my eyes. It was like 2-3 minutes or something. This duration may vary depending on on exact technology used and how much correction is being done. More recent and better tech tends to go faster, more correction takes a bit longer.

Some minor haloing and starbursting is probably expected to remain long-term. In my case, the amount of starbursting went down considerably compared to pre-lasik and changed to a different pattern. It's now straight lines instead of a mass of brambles. A lot easier to see through.

If I pay attention to it at full night and stare into a bright light it looks like I've been swimming for an hour or so, which is more haloing before. Nothing serious and I see way better even in such conditions than pre-lasik with glasses. Ymmv if you don't have any astigmatism pre-lasik though. I had really serious astigmatism. For me it was 500% worth the trade off of sharper vision and lessened starbursting I can see through vs a little more haloing.

Kylra fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Nov 15, 2016

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

This is quite a bit worse haloing and a bit worse starbursting of the kind I experience about a year out. This is coming from being almost unable to walk anywhere outside nearly as safely without glasses pre-lasik because I might not be able to see dangerous things on the ground like nails, and potentially even oncoming cars on the road in some circumstances.

The photo is blurry due to the time lapse effect. This is just for demonstration of the haloing/starbursting.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Dazerbeams posted:

And the halo side effect I've read about, is that permanent or temporary?

Kind of both. The night vision issues are generally dependent on how large your pupils can get. Bigger pupils = more issues at night.

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

Fun Shoe
I apparently have huge pupils so I imagine I'll always have bad night vision. Two weeks after surgery I do have crazy starbursts and halos BUT my low light vision has significantly improved over what it was pre Lasik, which is awesome. Once everything heals up I imagine I'll be able to drive at night again.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I'm at not quite 2 months prk, still on steroid drops due to some initial hazing, so healing slowly...But even at that the starburst effect is less than I had with glasses.

High astigmatism before surgery.

Seeker Maya
Nov 9, 2012
So I'm about to get trans Epi-lasik at Clearvision in Singapore. The way they described it, no flap would be made so the side effects (e.g. dry eye, halo effect) are reduced. Instead, they do it through corneal abrasion. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

How is it different from PRK, do you know?

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Maybe I just have a bad sense of smell but I never smelled the burning that everyone describes.

I'm several years out and the only lasting side effect I've noticed is that my eyes take longer to adjust between light and dark than they did before but that's about it. Dry eye took a while to go away (over a year) but it did eventually subside.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

2 month post-prk appt, despite my perception that vision is worse since last appt, tested at 20/20 in both eyes.

However I'm still on the pred forte for some initial corneal hazing the dr saw developing, and blurry vision is a possible side effect. He gave me the go ahead to wean off the steroid drops over the next few days so hopefully will see improvement after that!

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I ended up with 20/20 in one eye, and slightly worse in the other... close enough.

Problem! posted:

Maybe I just have a bad sense of smell but I never smelled the burning that everyone describes.

Yes, you do. (that said, I do have an unusually sensitive sense of smell)

The surgical tech who worked with me (and is in the LASIK surgery room all day long), also claimed to have never smelled anything.

Guys, if you are having problems driving at night, buy yourself some polarized night-driving glasses.
These are only 13 bucks, and I love them so much that I keep at least one pair in every car I drive.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JMRL3DU/ref=twister_B00ITZVZSE?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

My biggest issue, 1 month post-PRK in my right eye, is intermittent light phobia. This didn't happen at all after LASIK in my left eye. As an example, yesterday morning I went for a long walk with no issues - clear skies. 2 hours later, had to run a couple errands and had major issues for the first 10 minutes or so, almost had to pull over. Same sunglasses, same cloudless day. No idea what's causing it, but it's aggravating.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Squashy Nipples posted:

Yes, you do. (that said, I do have an unusually sensitive sense of smell)

I was suffering from allergies and/or a cold when I went in, so my nose was a bit stuffed up.

I drugged myself with all the allergy and cold meds I could get my hands on so I wouldn't sneeze while being lasered.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Shooting Blanks posted:

My biggest issue, 1 month post-PRK in my right eye, is intermittent light phobia. This didn't happen at all after LASIK in my left eye. As an example, yesterday morning I went for a long walk with no issues - clear skies. 2 hours later, had to run a couple errands and had major issues for the first 10 minutes or so, almost had to pull over. Same sunglasses, same cloudless day. No idea what's causing it, but it's aggravating.
I was pretty light sensitive for a couple weeks.

Make sure you have some high quality uv blocking sunglasses. I have the Edge eyewear kazbeks from Amazon for $23. I needed Z87 rated for work but they are nice sunglasses too for the price. Polarized too.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

angryrobots posted:

I was pretty light sensitive for a couple weeks.

Make sure you have some high quality uv blocking sunglasses. I have the Edge eyewear kazbeks from Amazon for $23. I needed Z87 rated for work but they are nice sunglasses too for the price. Polarized too.

I have some Sunclouds that supposedly block 100% of UV and are polarized, that was the eye doc's first question as well.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
High quality, low price light and UV blocking sunglasses?

I wear these like regular shades. They drop light levels so much I don't have to squint, don't feel any sort of overpowering brightness, even in full sunlight. Human eyes adapt over a huge range of levels, though, so it doesn't seem dark* unless you wear them indoors.

They're even on sale right now!

*Just, uh, green.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I went to buy sunglasses the afternoon after I had LASIK done with my eyes still puffed up and bloody and the sales lady took me aside and asked if I needed her to call anyone for me :3:

I got a pair of polarized Ray-Bans. Still have 'em.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Problem! posted:

I went to buy sunglasses the afternoon after I had LASIK done with my eyes still puffed up and bloody and the sales lady took me aside and asked if I needed her to call anyone for me :3:

I got a pair of polarized Ray-Bans. Still have 'em.

I went the other way. I haven't spent more than like 15 bucks on sunglasses since my surgery. Cheap sunglasses 4 lyfe

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Thinking about Lasik and see some talk about farsightedness. I can read just fine, am 25. Might I lose that with Lasik? -2.00 right eye, -3.5 left.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

rizuhbull posted:

Thinking about Lasik and see some talk about farsightedness. I can read just fine, am 25. Might I lose that with Lasik? -2.00 right eye, -3.5 left.

It's based almost entirely on your age; we all need reading glasses eventually.

What you don't realize when you are nearsighted, is that taking off your regular glasses is like putting on reading glasses. I didn't realize how much of a boost that was, and now I sometimes have to wear low-powered reading glasses. Only for stuff close to my face, though, as normal computer usage is fine. I'm early 40s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Squashy Nipples posted:

It's based almost entirely on your age; we all need reading glasses eventually.

What you don't realize when you are nearsighted, is that taking off your regular glasses is like putting on reading glasses. I didn't realize how much of a boost that was, and now I sometimes have to wear low-powered reading glasses. Only for stuff close to my face, though, as normal computer usage is fine. I'm early 40s.
So Lasik has no effect?

• Locked thread