Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

8-Bit Scholar posted:

So my boss got this game (I haven't yet) but this was a feature I didn't know was in it and he's saying it's basically making him hate the game. He says the game is super slow, encounter rate high, and apparently enemies can just infinitely call in reenforcements? That's a dumb design decision unless you get a Mon who knows a sleep move near the start of the game.

You have the option of getting a Munchlax with Yawn via Mystery Gift before you even get to your first Pokecenter to pick it up. Which is before SOS battles actually activate.

That said, SOS battles are a total pain in the rear end if you're not actually looking for a HA 'mon.

EDIT: And making Beldum SOS is just bullshit, I'll definitely give you that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Specto
Jun 28, 2010

Blaziken386 posted:

Question: when, exactly, can you catch vulpix? I know the earliest you can get it is in Tapu Village, but when is that progression-wise?
Sidenote: I want the Vulpix's HA, but serebii only has SOS data for the Mt. Lanakilla ones. Does that mean the ones in Tapu Village don't call for help? Because if so, that's annoying as gently caress.

A little late, but you totally can get a Snow warning Vulpix at Tapu Village, as my Ninetails can attest to. It just can't be naturally raining or something like that. In neutral weather, Vulpix will call for other Vulpix.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

8-Bit Scholar posted:

So my boss got this game (I haven't yet) but this was a feature I didn't know was in it and he's saying it's basically making him hate the game. He says the game is super slow, encounter rate high, and apparently enemies can just infinitely call in reenforcements? That's a dumb design decision unless you get a Mon who knows a sleep move near the start of the game.

There are plenty of mons with good status moves at the start of the game. Magnemite, Caterpie->Butterfree, Slowpoke (learns Yawn at a low level) mystery gift Munchlax with Yawn to name a few obtainable before the first trial, when the SOS mechanic starts.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
I'm not 100% sure how to go about starting a trade in this one, but I have three (3) freshly hatched Mareanies to give out, two of which are female.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Eox posted:

Don't make golisopod your designated false swiper, people. I loving ran away from tapu koko during the ending sequence thanks to that little bastard.

Later I went and caught all four of them in luxury balls to atone.

Golisopod's ability makes him so annoying to use. I love his moveset and design, but his garbage speed makes his ability proc half the time I send him out.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
How do the icons work as far as being able to use the pokemon in VGC/Battle Spot? If I take a gen 6 pokemon and breed it with a gen 7 ditto inside Sun and Moon, will it have the gen 7 symbol, or the gen 6 symbol? Trying to find hidden abilities with SOS battles alone seems like a gigantic kick in the pants.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

A Spider Covets posted:

I gave up and ran from it, it was getting ridiculous. Wish they'd implemented a limit on how many they can summon per battle though, eesh.

For every pokemon that gets SOS summoned, the odds of it being a shiny goes up, and if you let it summon 30+ pokemon then four IVs are guaranteed to be maxed. SOS functions are definitely annoying for a casual playthrough but they're basically a postgame lifesaver

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

8-Bit Scholar posted:

You can buy repels from the start, and most routes are designed so walking through grass is optional(or at least minimized). It's really not that bad once you have your team set.

And the game starts moving faster in general once you're off the first island & you're not being interrupted by a cutscene every 5 steps.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I think his wife knows as during the credits he has the mask hanging up behind them when they're taking the photo. I also assume he's a legit prof as he apparently funded the whole League thing for Alola.

But that bit where he's posing after Meowth walks into the battle royal, she kinda thinks of Kukui and overlays his image on Masked Royal and immediately shakes her head and turns away. That has to mean she doesn't know, right?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Reik posted:

How do the icons work as far as being able to use the pokemon in VGC/Battle Spot? If I take a gen 6 pokemon and breed it with a gen 7 ditto inside Sun and Moon, will it have the gen 7 symbol, or the gen 6 symbol? Trying to find hidden abilities with SOS battles alone seems like a gigantic kick in the pants.
How are you getting the gen 6 pokemon into the game before Bank comes out? Aren't the rules changing once Bank is out?

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Ending spoilers: God i loving love that HIS WIFE doesn't know! Is there any evidence towards Kukui not being a legit professor? like, he "studies" moves, but they're probably dumb wrestling training anyway, does he do any professing??
The problem with this post is that you assume there's a thing that a legit professor actually has to do in Pokemon World to deserve that title.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I'm pretty sure no one would miss Hau if he drowned in the middle of the Alolan sea because you summoned a Lapras and it took his away

One of my favorite parts of Sun / Moon is Gladion's constant, extreme disgust of Hau

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
Just beat the water trial. I was kinda expecting wishiwashi to be more difficult, but with Butterfree using Poisonpowder on both it and it's friend, it wasn't hard at all.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm almost certainly going to be doing battle spot singles this gen, what are the rumblings from Smogon on which Tapus/Ultra Beasts are actually good so I can reset for natures on them? And which natures should I reset for?

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

I'm excited about my lure ball totodile

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Zodack posted:

One of my favorite parts of Sun / Moon is Gladion's constant, extreme disgust of Hau

I didn't know I was Gladion

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

I can't get over Pheromosa. I'm a sucker for girly mons (probably from growing up drowning in pink Barbie poo poo as a 90s girl) and Pheromosa is both pretty AND a total beast in battle. It's also one of the few bug types that seemed feminine. I was psyched by the idea of adding it to my team with Ninetales and Milotic.

Then I find out it's a roach. A loving supermodel cockroach.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Okay, how the gently caress do i get to the coast at the northwest of the first island???

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
Hau takes it easy and loves fried food, he seems like a fun guy

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Okay, how the gently caress do i get to the coast at the northwest of the first island???

If I'm thinking of the right place, inside the meadow with the yellow flowers there's a moderately well hidden tunnel you can crawl through, leading to a cave, leading to a patch of coastline.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm almost certainly going to be doing battle spot singles this gen, what are the rumblings from Smogon on which Tapus/Ultra Beasts are actually good so I can reset for natures on them? And which natures should I reset for?

Adamant on Bulu

Timid/Modest on Lele

I'd say Timid on Koko because it's a dope rain abuser, doesn't get physical fairy STAB, and wild charge is a bad move

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Start in Melemele Meadow and crawl through the hole in the wall at the bottom left side of that area. Make your way through the cave and on the other end you'll exit out on that coast.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

If I'm thinking of the right place, inside the meadow with the yellow flowers there's a moderately well hidden tunnel you can crawl through, leading to a cave, leading to a patch of coastline.

Pakled posted:

Start in Melemele Meadow and crawl through the hole in the wall at the bottom left side of that area. Make your way through the cave and on the other end you'll exit out on that coast.

That is a very well hidden hole, hotdamn. Thanks!

Also just found out you can select a ball by pressing y, so to catch a pokemon all you need to do is press Y twice instead of going to another button. God I love how streamlined everything else, there must have been minutes of my playtime shaved off compared to earlier games with all this stuff.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Nov 21, 2016

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE
^^^ I didn't even notice it til I saw a Youtuber crawl inside! By then I had Tauros, Lapras, and Stoutland so I was able to clear out much more of it on my first go.

Araquanid is cool and good and my new friend.

Refresh is basically the same thing as Amie but I love it so much more. Giving my dudes a rainbow bean so they jump 2 levels of Affection is a bonus. But having Lycanroc get proud or Araquanid (aforementioned new best friend) shaking off paralysis immediately after Thunder Wave lands, and then hanging on with 1 HP so he doesn't disappoint me is the absolute best.

I love my water spider best friend.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Spent 20 minutes running around route 5 looking for the scald TM, only to learn that it's not on route 5, it's in brooklet hill.
Why the gently caress does every guide say it's on route 5?

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

DACK FAYDEN posted:

How are you getting the gen 6 pokemon into the game before Bank comes out? Aren't the rules changing once Bank is out?

It's pretty safe to say the rule that they have to be bred in a Gen 7 game will stay for both VGC and Battle Spot in general. It was the same with the blue pentagon in Gen 6.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I don't have anything nice to say about the mechanic. The best anyone can say is that it's easily negated by slapping an ailment on the wild Pokemon, but if your party doesn't include that you're poo poo out of luck and catching wild mons gets a second RNG hurdle to jump through.

It could have been so much better if they just let you catch Pokemon with backup, or made calling for back-up count as an action.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Quick Balls still exist and still work every time 80% of the time.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The UBs all have such incredibly weird stats, what is even going on with them

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I think my early rating so far is that Alola is my favorite region. it has copious amounts of personality and everything about it makes seem like its own culture rather than just existing. I'm really hoping that Sinnoh gets the same type of treatment where the setting feels alive

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

cheetah7071 posted:

The UBs all have such incredibly weird stats, what is even going on with them

the UBs are incredibly weird by design.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

The Lord of Hats posted:

Ahahahahahaha

For the record: first you have to track down a Corsola. You can find them at the fishing spots around the first island, but they're a rare spawn--you're going to be digging through Magikarp, Wishiwashi, and the occasional Luvdisc for quite a while before you find a Corsola. Then you beat up that Corsola, until it calls for help. It will probably call another Corsola. Keep chaining Corsola, and eventually one of them is going to call a Mareanie (who, hilariously, attacks the Corsola). Now you're one step of the way, but it also doesn't really have the defenses it needs to do its job until it evolves at level 38.

Have fun!

I read that, bred up a real quick female Litten, and put it on the GTS for that fucker. gently caress that noise so hard.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I read that, bred up a real quick female Litten, and put it on the GTS for that fucker. gently caress that noise so hard.

This is my plan for several of the pokemon.
edit: oohh and this bay has a 10% encounter rate on bagon, compared to the 1% on the rest of hte island, nice.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Nov 21, 2016

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Classtoise posted:

^^^ I didn't even notice it til I saw a Youtuber crawl inside! By then I had Tauros, Lapras, and Stoutland so I was able to clear out much more of it on my first go.

Araquanid is cool and good and my new friend.

Refresh is basically the same thing as Amie but I love it so much more. Giving my dudes a rainbow bean so they jump 2 levels of Affection is a bonus. But having Lycanroc get proud or Araquanid (aforementioned new best friend) shaking off paralysis immediately after Thunder Wave lands, and then hanging on with 1 HP so he doesn't disappoint me is the absolute best.

I love my water spider best friend.

I made it to the postgame, where in order to get access to the battle tree, you have to beat either Red or Blue. I had all of two pokemon not fainted, and then my Tsareena managed to hang on with 1 HP remaining against Red's Charizard like 5 times in a row. I threw the rest of the fight because I couldn't gain any headway against the rest of Red's team, but that was amazing.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Holy poo poo Hapu

She is totally on board with her horse wanting to murder the gently caress out of these two numskulls.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Hapu is my favorite npc, if not just because she has a mudsdale and that's my favorite new poke

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

I think what I like about his region is that since each island is like a tiny region everything feels densely packed.

Though it looks like there are still XY-style "places I can see on my map and in the world but can't go to". Like, that golf course is like 10% of that island and there's a golfer trainer class, please let me go to the golf

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Decus posted:

The trainer stuff is neat, but not worth the loss of frames, triples or rotations in my opinion.

You're straight up wrong if you think Guzma squatting behind his Ariados with a poo poo eating grin isn't worth breaking the console.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Is there a good app in the vein of a pokedex for the iPhone?

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

jesus gently caress, the framedrop on the battle royal
also I got knocked out in one hit because it didn't let me choose what pokemon I wanted, and just picked the pokemon I had in front, which was only up there so it could get more exp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
loving hell where is Spheal on Route 7

e: nm