Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Sagebrush posted:

Is it a mechanical failure? No, not entirely. The end product is pretty successful. But there's some good stuff in here

http://imgur.com/gallery/sg9FF

I cringed at the radiator burn holy gently caress.

I'm not sure what the problem was with his project... Looks better than some other custom sleeper vans, and the Bondo+ chicken wire came out better than anticipated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

After seeing how he fastened that bed together I wouldn't trust anything that he did work on.

No respect for the "hmm I have no idea what the gently caress I'm doing so I'll compensate by doubling up on everything" style of construction.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Wasabi the J posted:

I cringed at the radiator burn holy gently caress.

I'm not sure what the problem was with his project... Looks better than some other custom sleeper vans, and the Bondo+ chicken wire came out better than anticipated.

yeah it was mostly the radiator burn (how does that even happen other than not understanding "don't gently caress with the radiator when the engine is hot") and the chicken wire bondo. That particular stuff, like...it looks fine now but one bump and it's going to start to crack and crumble.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

kastein posted:

Locking the front or rear first is somewhat of a religious debate.

Well, locked front and open rear is how the catholic girls i knew in high school did it...:v:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Cindy Shitbird posted:

Well, locked front and open rear is how the catholic girls i knew in high school did it...:v:

:vince:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Cindy Shitbird posted:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Dude bondoed a long strip of...plywood.

The first loving day it gets hot or cold, or he gets a high humidity week...ugh.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Cindy Shitbird posted:

KABLAMMO

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
And almost had his ring finger degloved somehow, or was that from the burns? Either way, rule #2 when working on/with most machinery is no jewelry or loose clothing

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It looks like he scalded himself by messing with the radiator while it was hot, and his hand swelled up around his ring and also the skin is peeling off from the burn.

I feel like you could lose a finger from that, though, as the swelling cuts off circulation.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

The Door Frame posted:

And almost had his ring finger degloved somehow, or was that from the burns? Either way, rule #2 when working on/with most machinery is no jewelry or loose clothing

Probably had the scalding hot liquid get under the ring and stay on his skin longer, making the burn locally worse, or the ring prevented the water he (hopefully) used to flush it afterwards from getting to the burn as fast as the rest of his skin.

But yeah if I'm messing around with things in the garage I have a little plastic hook on my toolbox that I hang my wedding ring on.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I have a small carabiner on my keyring, clip my ring to it whenever I take it off so I can't forget it somewhere.

Unless I lose my car keys, in which case I have two massive problems.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Speaking of car keys, being able to stick a screwdriver behind the door handles on the 2nd gen Taurus to pop the locks is a great mechanical failure.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

xzzy posted:

Unless I lose my car keys, in which case I have two massive problems.

I keep a spare in my wallet.

Granted... it's not a transponder key. My car doesn't use a transponder anyway (which is a whole can of :wtf: for a 2006), but even if it did, I'd at least be able to get into the car and out of the elements, and probably at least turn on the radio.

My power locks have a mind of their own occasionally; that spare has saved my rear end a couple of times. I have a bad habit of leaving the key in ACC to keep the radio on while getting gas, and I've discovered that if I shut the car off before it's at a complete stop (manual transmission, so I occasionally do this) but leave the key in the ignition, the doors immediately lock once I get out. The first time it happened, I had OnStar and they were able to unlock it (and the doors immediately relocked as soon as I got in and closed the door), ever since I've kept the spare. And it still immediately relocks the doors once I get back in..

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

thylacine posted:

Speaking of car keys, being able to stick a screwdriver behind the door handles on the 2nd gen Taurus to pop the locks is a great mechanical failure.

If you punch the door on my Mazda 3 it unlocks.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I keep a spare in my wallet.

Granted... it's not a transponder key. My car doesn't use a transponder anyway (which is a whole can of :wtf: for a 2006), but even if it did, I'd at least be able to get into the car and out of the elements, and probably at least turn on the radio.

My power locks have a mind of their own occasionally; that spare has saved my rear end a couple of times. I have a bad habit of leaving the key in ACC to keep the radio on while getting gas, and I've discovered that if I shut the car off before it's at a complete stop (manual transmission, so I occasionally do this) but leave the key in the ignition, the doors immediately lock once I get out. The first time it happened, I had OnStar and they were able to unlock it (and the doors immediately relocked as soon as I got in and closed the door), ever since I've kept the spare. And it still immediately relocks the doors once I get back in..

I'll roll down a window or not shut a door if I leave the keys in the car for that reason.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, car locks try to be too loving smart these days.

I want the old style where they were all manual and if you closed the driver door with it locked, it would unlock (meaning the only way to secure the vehicle is to use the key from the outside of the vehicle).

No way to gently caress that up.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Or, like on ACVWs since 1956, the driver door unlocks unless you hold the door open button down when you close it.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

xzzy posted:

Yeah, car locks try to be too loving smart these days.

I want the old style where they were all manual and if you closed the driver door with it locked, it would unlock (meaning the only way to secure the vehicle is to use the key from the outside of the vehicle).

No way to gently caress that up.

Boy, do I have a Honda for you. My driver's door interior lock and the exterior lock will not work unless it has been closed

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The only way to lock my keys in the car is to trick it by using the window auto‐up.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

The Door Frame posted:

Boy, do I have a Honda for you. My driver's door interior lock and the exterior lock will not work unless it has been closed

Try holding the door handle while you push the buttons. That's what my 98 CRV required me to do before I fixed the broken wires in the door hinge for the power locks.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.
Back in the day my dad locked the keys inside his '94 Suburban at a gas station in the middle of nowhere. A similar year Chevy Tahoe pulled up and as a joke my dad asked the driver to try his keys. His key unlocked our truck no problem. Way to go Chevy you saved the day!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Wafer locks can be opened with an ice pop/popsicle/ice lolly stick. Insert, apply torque, and slowly withdraw while maintaining torque. This is what’s known as an “overlifting” attack.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Vitamin J posted:

Back in the day my dad locked the keys inside his '94 Suburban at a gas station in the middle of nowhere. A similar year Chevy Tahoe pulled up and as a joke my dad asked the driver to try his keys. His key unlocked our truck no problem. Way to go Chevy you saved the day!

90s and early 2000s GMs are kind of known for that. Although there are a LOT more unique keys than there were in the 60s and 70s, wear and tear on the 90s locks makes them pretty susceptible to basically being "picked" by a similar key.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Platystemon posted:

Wafer locks can be opened with an ice pop/popsicle/ice lolly stick. Insert, apply torque, and slowly withdraw while maintaining torque. This is what’s known as an “overlifting” attack.

My favourite things to learn are the things that horrify me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvne9Ca3OY8

gently caress it works on two sided wafers

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Nov 21, 2016

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Platystemon posted:

At a couple of the local Toyota group meets I've been to people with trucks from the 80s compare keys. Best we can determine is there are about 8 different ones, but you have roughly a 1 iun 4 chance of your key working because of wear. My '88 Pickup hasn't driven in years but I keep the key on my ring just in case...

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Godholio posted:

90s and early 2000s GMs are kind of known for that. Although there are a LOT more unique keys than there were in the 60s and 70s, wear and tear on the 90s locks makes them pretty susceptible to basically being "picked" by a similar key.
At least twice during my childhood we accidentally unlocked the wrong identical-looking vehicle and started loading groceries before we realized it didn't have our stuff in it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Fermented Tinal posted:

At a couple of the local Toyota group meets I've been to people with trucks from the 80s compare keys. Best we can determine is there are about 8 different ones, but you have roughly a 1 iun 4 chance of your key working because of wear. My '88 Pickup hasn't driven in years but I keep the key on my ring just in case...

Door locks on cars don't usually use all the cuts on the key anyway; you can have 2 or 3 completely wrong and it often won't matter (those cuts may operate the ignition, glove box, trunk, gas door, etc.). The tolerances are usually pretty loose too; you can sometimes be off by huge amounts on the depth of the cuts, like have them all wrong by 1 or 2 levels, and still operate the lock. Finally, the wafers are usually pretty soft so if nothing else is doing it, get a screwdriver in there and twist the right direction until it opens.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Godholio posted:

Yeah, similar deal with my 96 F150 the keys were so warn down that pretty much anything from a house key to thin screwdriver would open the doors. You could also pull the key out of the ignition while driving and it didn't care :v:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Can someone tell what the gently caress I'm looking at here?

Dad of a friend of a friend's BMW's cooling system explodiated, which is itself perhaps not newsworthy, but what is that white plastic ribbon thing that appears to be jammed into the thermostat?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The wax from the thermostat leaking out and solidifying, I think.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Stir in some beef and sour cream and you got yourself a tasty plate of stroganoff.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

The wax from the thermostat leaking out and solidifying, I think.
Ah, is the "wax" in them perhaps some kind of coil of plastic material, and that's what we're seeing?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
It's an extremely thick wax that solidifies very quickly with temperature. I can imagine it being tested, or pulled, and bursting quickly after due to the failed seal and spring pressure.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Looks like a tapeworm

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Jeeps have the same worn key issue, my red XJ and white MJ the key will fall out if I bounce it around in the woods enough... while I'm driving. Then I have to fish around on the floor for them to shut it off.

One time at a jeep camping trip someone locked their keys in their running jeep. They came to me as the local tech nerd for advise and hammered-me suggested just having everyone present try all their jeep keys until one opened the door. As I recall it took less than a half dozen tries.

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.

InitialDave posted:

Can someone tell what the gently caress I'm looking at here?

Dad of a friend of a friend's BMW's cooling system explodiated, which is itself perhaps not newsworthy, but what is that white plastic ribbon thing that appears to be jammed into the thermostat?

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showpost.php?p=4420581&postcount=45

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Looks like they're part of the stock radiator. They are inserted into the horizontal-flowing tubes to keep coolant and heat mixing. Never seen it before, though. I guess sometimes they become dislodged and can travel into one of the big hoses.

http://imgur.com/gallery/lQA28

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Hahaha, that the gently caress, BMW. That's a new one on me.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
superior German synthetic parasites

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Guys I think the cooling department in BMW is either severely underfunded or staffed by lazy people.

If the latter where do I sign up