Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Gaia is pissed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Serf posted:

Hey, send me an e-mail, the district chair wants to have lunch with you.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Karl Sharks posted:

so you're for lying to win? okay cool

I am for doing whatever it takes to win. By any means necessary and all that

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

Rastor posted:

You're increasing awareness of The Infrastructure Plan either way and people who believe it will MAGA will believe it even more if you tell them it's a scam.

You need to propose your own Infrastructure Plan which is Way Awesomer.

and then they'll say your plan involves raising taxes on every american and construction workers sitting around on their asses for 12 hours a day while the project never gets completed

Serf
May 5, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

Hey, send me an e-mail, the district chair wants to have lunch with you.

Will do as soon as I get home.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

Serf posted:

I am for doing whatever it takes to win. By any means necessary and all that

i hear fascism is in now, you could try using that to win?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
You don't have to create an alternate reality. You just need to have actual arguments in response instead of lovely politifact parsing that is openly biased.

Hell, I'd assert that politifact did more to reinforce the idea that people in power are trying to lie to the common man than it did to clear anything up.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

LegoPirateNinja posted:

Are we really regressing to ancient times when merely saying a thing's name gives it power?

Like, "Donald Trump is bad" is the same as "Donald Trump is good" because I have said "Donald Trump" and thereby made him strong with word magic.

Or if I said, "The Infrastructure Plan is a scam" vs "The Infrastructure Plan will MAGA." I'm actually increasing support for it either way??

Its more like saying 'Donald Trump is bad' won't shift any opinions and will make those who think 'Donald Trump is good' double down. Neutrals already get both messages and have decided to stay neutral because reasons, so screaming 'DONALD TRUMP BAD' in their face isn't going to win any hearts/minds and might make them more sympathetic to 'TRUMP GOOD' because you're being a screaming jackass. Instead of 'Trump is bad!' try 'Hillary is good because she will do these awesome things for *you*' to influence and persuade (assuming they believe Hillary will actually do the thing, which is where her credibility issues shot her in the foot).

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

Creating a proactive compelling narrative based on facts is the solution, not outright lying or just reactionarily responding to lies.

The_Politics_Man
Aug 25, 2015

Karl Sharks posted:

and then they'll say your plan involves raising taxes on every american and construction workers sitting around on their asses for 12 hours a day while the project never gets completed

who gives a gently caress what they say. they have a guy saying the global elites take dmt to talk to elves from the 4th dimension. if you spend all your time worrying about what the mean republicans will say you lose.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Karl Sharks posted:

again, i'm not saying focus on just correcting, but if you have the next R and D candidates in a debate and the R candidate says "my opponent thinks we should kill all white people" do you not say "correct that, then immediately pivot to your views on race and how we can come together as americans"? if you cede the ground entirely then you give them more power

Corrections actually do work in the heat of the moment, from what I understand - but that's hard to do with generalized correct-the-record campaigns. It's ineffective if you have to bring the lie back up (especially if you're exposing people who have never seen it to begin with) to correct it. Also, you need to be aggressive so the other guy has to waste time responding even then (and hopefully you're saying things that are true so they have a harder time refuting it), so an incidental correction as part of an alternative idea is more effective.

Don't say "I don't want to kill all white people!", actually present an argument that can stick in the person's head, otherwise all they remember is "I remember something about that person and killing white people, and I heard the association twice, from both of them, so it must be true!"

You got to say "I want to make this country better for white people, just like I want to make it better for people who are not white, and I will fight for that better life for you and your families, unlike my opponent who is willing to sell you up the river if the right investor comes calling."

So now they aren't hearing you being associated with killing white people twice in a row, they're getting two contradictory messages and yours might actually push the other one out.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Optimus Subprime posted:

Creating a proactive compelling narrative based on facts is the solution, not outright lying or just reactionarily responding to lies.

For real, this.There's no need to make anything up. The people we're talking about are so lovely that the things they do or attempt to do are largely worse than most poo poo we could come up with. It's all a matter of someone with half a brain looking at all that poo poo and then crafting a narrative around it.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

resar posted:

who gives a gently caress what they say. they have a guy saying the global elites take dmt to talk to elves from the 4th dimension. if you spend all your time worrying about what the mean republicans will say you lose.

To reiterate: gently caress REPUBLICANS.

The Democrats do NOT need Republican votes, and chasing them is a foolish waste of time.

There is an *ocean* of votes out there who could be motivated to turn out for the Democrats. They have before, they could again.

WE DO NOT NEED TO APPEAL TO REPUBLICANS!

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

resar posted:

because if you don't push back on the lies about it raising taxes by 100% for middle class americans, you've already lost that argument with basically everyone

GlyphGryph posted:

Corrections actually do work in the heat of the moment, from what I understand - but that's hard to do with generalized correct-the-record campaigns. It's ineffective if you have to bring the lie back up (especially if you're exposing people who have never seen it to begin with) to correct it. Also, you need to be aggressive so the other guy has to waste time responding even then (and hopefully you're saying things that are true so they have a harder time refuting it), so an incidental correction as part of an alternative idea is more effective.

Don't say "I don't want to kill all white people!", actually present an argument that can stick in the person's head, otherwise all they remember is "I remember something about that person and killing white people, and I heard the association twice, from both of them, so it must be true!"

You got to say "I want to make this country better for white people, just like I want to make it better for people who are not white, and I will fight for that better life for you and your families, unlike my opponent who is willing to sell you up the river if the right investor comes calling."

So now they aren't hearing you being associated with killing white people twice in a row, they're getting two contradictory messages and yours might actually push the other one out.

i totally get what you're saying and agree to a point, i still think you need someone making sure thinks are fact checked so you don't go home and google something and get 2 competing realities, instead of one reality and one fantasy. that just seems like a very dangerous road to go down and we, not necessarily the DNC, can put 15% of our efforts out of this new messaging plan to make sure we still have the facts on our side

when you stop caring about making a fact based case to others, you stop caring about facts yourself *shoots glance over at GOP*

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Karl Sharks posted:

Wonderful. Amazing. Let them say this, let them give me more opportunities to talk about my plan. Every minute they spend trying to counter my plan is a reminder to people my plan exists, an opportunity to reiterate and have it actually stick in their heads.

"My plan involves putting Americans to work, it involves giving us the infrastructure we need. My opponent is worried that he, a member of the billionaire class, might have to pay back some of what he stole from you - can you believe that! I am trying to give you the chance to support your family, and he's complaining that you won't be working hard enough making him extra cash. I'm going to BLAH BLAH BLAH and you'll be so much better for it!"

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

bump_fn posted:

Consider posting this in the FL LAN thread if there is one

What is a LAN thread?

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

GlyphGryph posted:

Wonderful. Amazing. Let them say this, let them give me more opportunities to talk about my plan. Every minute they spend trying to counter my plan is a reminder to people my plan exists, an opportunity to reiterate and have it actually stick in their heads.

"My plan involves putting Americans to work, it involves giving us the infrastructure we need. My opponent is worried that he, a member of the billionaire class, might have to pay back some of what he stole from you - can you believe that! I am trying to give you the chance to support your family, and he's complaining that you won't be working hard enough making him extra cash. I'm going to BLAH BLAH BLAH and you'll be so much better for it!"

anyone who is neutral will shut off after hearing about taxes being raised

e: i think really the problem with what you're saying, which is like only 5% of the whole really we're in agreement on most of this, is that you think the backfire effect is some untouchable, everpresent thing; it's essentially an extension of the confirmation bias so it is really at its prime when the lie confirms a previous belief and you try to correct it, but if you're dealing in neutral people who have only just "heard about that plan" then you still have time to swoop in

Karl Sharks has issued a correction as of 23:13 on Nov 21, 2016

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Not a Step posted:

Hold on, friend, all you're doing is reinforcing people's existing desire to gently caress republicans.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

TyrantWD posted:

Bernie and his movement are irrelevant.

The future of the Democratic Party is what it was a month ago, a year ago, a decade ago, and what would it be even if Hillary won - they are not-Republicans. That's all there is to it. When enough people become unhappy with the state of things under the Republicans, they will vote Democrat, and the Democratic Party will gladly sit and wait for that moment.

nasty guy

what a nasty guy

lyin' TyrantWD

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

GlyphGryph posted:

I like this post

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Karl Sharks posted:

This is more a problem for you than me since you are the one who wants them to hear it twice, isnt it?

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

LegoPirateNinja posted:

Hold on, friend, all you're doing is reinforcing people's existing desire to gently caress republicans.

Good?

Because there are more than enough non-Republican votes out there to make it unnecessary to appeal to Republican ideals.

E: I don't have a witty comeback for the intended joke :(

Karl Sharks posted:

e: i think really the problem with what you're saying, which is like only 5% of the whole really we're in agreement on most of this, is that you think the backfire effect is some untouchable, everpresent thing; it's essentially an extension of the confirmation bias so it is really at its prime when the lie confirms a previous belief and you try to correct it, but if you're dealing in neutral people who have only just "heard about that plan" then you still have time to swoop in

Don't fall into the Reagan trap. People used to pay a *lot* more in taxes in America. I think part of it is no one really sees what their taxes buy anymore. We need more space launches and Hoover Dams and less foreign interventions and Wall Street kickbacks.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

:eyepop:

this will not go well with rich democrats though... how can we coddle their economic anxiety?

No War but Class War, friend.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Not a Step posted:

The Democrats do NOT need Republican votes, and chasing them is a foolish waste of time.

There is an *ocean* of votes out there who could be motivated to turn out for the Democrats. They have before, they could again.

WE DO NOT NEED TO APPEAL TO REPUBLICANS!

but chuck schumer said clinton would win by flipping suburban republicans!

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

GlyphGryph posted:

This is more a problem for you than me since you are the one who wants them to hear it twice, isnt it?

if you do nothing, not even offhandedly, to say "you're not going to be paying more taxes for this" then it's a problem for everyone

i have never said all of the efforts should be on corrections or anything like that, but look

quote:

"My plan involves putting Americans to work, it involves giving us the infrastructure we need without making the middle class pay a dime for it. My opponent is worried that he, a member of the billionaire class, might have to pay back some of what he stole from you - can you believe that! Him and his friends use accounting tricks to pay less in taxes than you do! It's time we make them pay their fair share to rebuild our nation, starting with our roads and bridges. I am trying to give you the chance to support your family, and he's complaining that you won't be working hard enough making him extra cash. I'm going to BLAH BLAH BLAH and you'll be so much better for it!"

your message before never explicitly or implicitly said they would actually pay for it, so that person who heard they're going to pay more in taxes for it still will say "okay, that's great other people will get a job, but i have one, my roads are okay and i pay too much in taxes already, gently caress that"

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

also, i decided to actually play this through but dont want to mess up this thread, which is actually relatively productive and good, so i made a new one: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3798892

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

Not a Step posted:

Don't fall into the Reagan trap. People used to pay a *lot* more in taxes in America. I think part of it is no one really sees what their taxes buy anymore. We need more space launches and Hoover Dams and less foreign interventions and Wall Street kickbacks.

i didn't fall for anything? i'm saying what other people fall for, you don't need to convince me, you need to convince my mom who voted for obama in 08 but has resorted back to "eh, they both suck" until recently

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuBvxb2UUHo

Taxes are cool and good. gently caress, issue Infrastructure bonds and let everyone pay for it.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

LegoPirateNinja posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuBvxb2UUHo

Taxes are cool and good. gently caress, issue Infrastructure bonds and let everyone pay for it.

Problem is even when you say your only going to tax the rich the middle class immediately assumes they are next and panic, because the majority of them have poo poo finances that can't handle financial shock

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Karl Sharks posted:

if you do nothing, not even offhandedly, to say "you're not going to be paying more taxes for this" then it's a problem for everyone

i have never said all of the efforts should be on corrections or anything like that, but look

your message before never explicitly or implicitly said they would actually pay for it, so that person who heard they're going to pay more in taxes for it still will say "okay, that's great other people will get a job, but i have one, my roads are okay and i pay too much in taxes already, gently caress that"

i literally while writing this response had to go up up and reread you post because all I could remember of the changes you made was you talking about raising taxes on the middle class, lol.

Its a distraction, and a bad one. dont feed your opponents

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

GlyphGryph posted:

i literally while writing this response had to go up up and reread you post because all I could remember of the changes you made was you talking about raising taxes on the middle class, lol.

Its a distraction, and a bad one. dont feed your opponents

instead just let them keep screaming "IT'S GOING TO TO RAISE TAXES" without fighting it at all, instead ignoring it and talking about how awesome it will be while everyone else has already shut you out because they think it'll raise taxes

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

zen death robot posted:

I'm guessing everyone realizes that Gabbard is bad now huh

Yeah

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Agean90 posted:

Problem is even when you say your only going to tax the rich the middle class immediately assumes they are next and panic, because the majority of them have poo poo finances that can't handle financial shock

the problem with this is people making $60k a year in a multi-person household thinking they're middle class

we'll leave them alone but the HENRY people need to pay up

The_Politics_Man
Aug 25, 2015

Karl Sharks posted:

instead just let them keep screaming "IT'S GOING TO TO RAISE TAXES" without fighting it at all, instead ignoring it and talking about how awesome it will be while everyone else has already shut you out because they think it'll raise taxes

We just got out of a presidential campaign where one side kept screaming "HE"S A RAPIST HATE GOLEM" and lost. worrying about what the other side says about taxes is hand wringing at this point

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

zen death robot posted:

I'm guessing everyone realizes that Gabbard is bad now huh

Realized it within a day of her supporting Bernie. Seemed cool at first but then I saw the anti-muslim poo poo among other stuff and realized she mostly just saw which way the wind was blowing and picked accordingly.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Karl Sharks posted:

No, because if you are selling a narrative that is more appealing while also attacking them, no one is going to believe them and in order to repea it they need to leave your criticism unaddressed and undermining their own argument.

I did respond - by attacking. Attacking their credibility and giving people a REASON to disbelieve them. Thats a lot more damaging to their argument than giving them free associativr ammo

Serf
May 5, 2011

Karl Sharks posted:

i hear fascism is in now, you could try using that to win?

lie, cheat, steal, kill

bing bong boom so simple

Agean90 posted:

I figure you try to demonstrate your intentions by taking that wealth inequality chart and circling the top little bit up there while saying "these motherfuckers right here gotta go"

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
she's supposed to be an economic populist (which is why she went for bernie) but she lusts for muslim death (which is why she's going to be trump's token democrat)

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Yeah focus on "high earners" paying. Don't get caught up in the nebulous middle class label.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
the only hope now is that dems have a second obama-like candidate who comes out of fuckin nowhere to take over except lol that isn't happening

buckle up for two term trump

• Locked thread