Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Amazon finally settled on a 'stable' price for this (for now, at least): https://www.amazon.com/GL502VT-DS71-Gaming-Laptop-NVIDIA-GTX970M/dp/B01FFRD220

The 3GB 970M with a fixed 1080p screen should be 'okay' for 2-3 years, but you might have to compromise sooner rather than later with console ports in regards to texture complexity and finery, et al.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Nov 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Republic of Gamers is such a dumb name

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Amazon finally settled on a 'stable' price for this (for now, at least): https://www.amazon.com/GL502VT-DS71-Gaming-Laptop-NVIDIA-GTX970M/dp/B01FFRD220

The 3GB 970M with a fixed 1080p screen should be 'okay' for 2-3 years, but you might have to compromise sooner rather than later with console ports in regards to texture complexity and finery, et al.

If you have a hard limit of a thousand bucks it is a good machine, but hard to recommend when $200 more gives you like 1.5x-2.5x the performance.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

The Iron Rose posted:

If you have a hard limit of a thousand bucks it is a good machine, but hard to recommend when $200 more gives you like 1.5x-2.5x the performance.

Very true - especially since I'd almost kind of bet money that the 'bare bones' 1050Ti machines will MSRP for ~$1099 because it's the only opening price point that makes any sense with the mobile 1060 models starting around $1200.

It's also a valid choice for someone who can't wait the month and a half for the 1050Ti, too.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

NovaLion posted:

What are the odds of a Thinkpad getting a 1050ti when they supposedly get released in January? I really hate the look of gaming laptops overall.

I don't think we know the specifics, but I would assume that the Thinkpads which currently get a 940mx will get refreshed with a Pascal chip of the same or lower TDP. Unfortunately that is in the 20-25W range somewhere, and the 1050 mobile is still 60W. So a 1040 variant, or some even further lower-end we haven't seen yet, seems far more likely.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Smashing Link posted:

I have a colleague who runs citrix receiver on a Chromebook to access our hospital's EHR (EPIC). Don't think linux is involved.

I use Citrix on a chrome book as well and it works flawlessly.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
So with the sales coming up I thought I might treat myself to a new laptop to use on the plane, hotels etc.

The one I have currently for traveling is an Asus x550C. Cost me around 500 bucks and has served me well for 2.5 years but I think it's time is coming to a close.

Looking for something in the similar price range with a gfx card (ideally dedicated) to gently caress around with games. I'm not expecting it to run Battlefield 1 or run GTA V in ultra but being able to run older games is what I'm after. Civ V (6 would be a huge bonus), path of exile, pay day 2 etc. If it could run new games then great.

Any recommendations would be great and save me trawling the internet to find something instead of asking (you) someone who is up to date and savy.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

anyone use the dell chromebook 13? the wirecutter really loves it.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Tai posted:

So with the sales coming up I thought I might treat myself to a new laptop to use on the plane, hotels etc.

The one I have currently for traveling is an Asus x550C. Cost me around 500 bucks and has served me well for 2.5 years but I think it's time is coming to a close.

Looking for something in the similar price range with a gfx card (ideally dedicated) to gently caress around with games. I'm not expecting it to run Battlefield 1 or run GTA V in ultra but being able to run older games is what I'm after. Civ V (6 would be a huge bonus), path of exile, pay day 2 etc. If it could run new games then great.

Any recommendations would be great and save me trawling the internet to find something instead of asking (you) someone who is up to date and savy.

At that price range you'll want to try and find something with a 960m, and you'll probably have to go used or refurbished.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

The Iron Rose posted:

At that price range you'll want to try and find something with a 960m, and you'll probably have to go used or refurbished.
Lenovo Y50s (which used to be recommended by this thread) are now refurbished in that kind of price range - mine continues to serve me well for all my gaming wants (occasional compromises on turning down the video quality, but there's still a lot it can run fine with high settings at 1080p.)

I recommend not doing what I did - the 4k resolution screen is silly and more often an annoyance than a benefit. Take the 1080p screen, it's cheaper and will save the GPU doing upscaling when running a game at 1080p. About half of games don't scale their fonts up, so even when you *can* run them at 4k, you don't want to because everything becomes illegible and stupidly spaced out.

The trackpad is rear end, but everything else is just fine.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Wilford Cutlery posted:

So, about batteries... I believe in using the original, OEM battery over a 3rd party compatible unit, but the prices can be too much. Are there good, reputable makers for replacement batteries? Specifically, are either this or this a good choice for my trusty old ThinkPad SL510? Yep, still using it, gonna use it until it can't run software any more.

Any thoughts on this?

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!
I need a laptop for college, but I haven't really shopped for one before. All my previous laptops had been many years old hand me downs that have either broken or are just woefully old fashioned nowadays.

I have no idea how feasible this is but ideally I'd want something that's:

-$600 max
-128gb or more SSD
-1080p display, maybe???
-8gb RAM or so
-a display bright enough for outdoors use
-a decent battery life

Would a ThinkPad 13 be my best bet? Or are there better options?

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Take a look at the Dell outlet - there's a good coupon right now on the exact model I have, the Latitude E7270. For ($909-37% coupon) = $573, they have one (if it's not sold before you read this) with:

i5-6300U
12.5" 1080p
1x8GB DDR4 (can add a second, up to 2x16GB)
256GB SSD (will be M.2, probably SATA)

There are other models that look good for the price too, but I can definitely recommend that one. You can look at the home coupons too if you want, but I linked the business page since you said you want a college machine and mentioned Thinkpads.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Abel Wingnut posted:

anyone use the dell chromebook 13? the wirecutter really loves it.

I have one (in case it wasn't obvious at this point, I have multiple CBs.) It's very nice as a premium device, although it's more of a durable business-class device than a top-end luxury machine (like the Pixel, or the HP CB 13.) It's great all-around (keyboard, display, you name it) and is available in reasonably-priced configurations, although it's chunkier & heavier than most other CBs; in fact, it comes in second in size & weight only to the Acer CB 15, which obviously has a massive 15.6" display. The Dell is also due for a refresh, but the only reason I say this is because they could update it at any time considering how long it's been around (so take that into consideration if you feel you'd regret buying it shortly before a slightly updated version is announced.) It's a testament to how well CBs work because the Dell doesn't actually need a new version, but it could benefit from Type C ports and a newer CPU (not that the Broadwell parts are by any means inadequate) just for the hell of it.

I do recommend the Dell CB 13, but generally only to people who are either looking for a tough device and/or those who will appreciate all of the nice features; to others I recommend something like the HP CB 13 for a very nice device around the same price, or the more mainstream devices (by Acer, Asus, Toshiba, etc.) to people who just need something inexpensive because ultimately all these devices work exactly the same.

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Any thoughts on this?

I didn't want to say anything before, because I think this is a YMMV situation. I've purchased lower-priced battery packs from 3rd parties before and they generally don't last as long as OEM, but the price may make them worth it (e.g. if a cheap battery costs half as much but lasts at least half as many years as the OEM option then go with that, even if it means you'll have to buy another.) In your case, you have a ~7-year-old laptop, which is fine if it still works but I totally wouldn't spend more than ~$40 or so for a replacement battery (even that seems high) considering that the value of the laptop is easily <$100. The trouble is that since that laptop is so old you're not going to find a wide selection of parts (even OEM) anymore and they're only going to increase over time. Just buy the cheap one, it's the only thing that makes sense.

Chelb posted:

I need a laptop for college, but I haven't really shopped for one before. All my previous laptops had been many years old hand me downs that have either broken or are just woefully old fashioned nowadays.

I have no idea how feasible this is but ideally I'd want something that's:

-$600 max
-128gb or more SSD
-1080p display, maybe???
-8gb RAM or so
-a display bright enough for outdoors use
-a decent battery life

Would a ThinkPad 13 be my best bet? Or are there better options?

What Eletriarnation said is a good option. You didn't mention any software requirements, so if a Chromebook would work for you I could easily recommend one that meets all your criteria (except maybe the SSD) and is under budget.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe
With black friday coming up, does anyone have anything to keep an eye out for? I have a functional gaming desktop already, so I'm looking for something I can take with me to work (I'm a chef) to work on menus and invoicing, and run the usual netflix/youtube/whatever. I was looking at the Thinkpad T450, I don't think I need anything bigger than 14" or 15". I have never owned a laptop before, I've exclusively had desktops and tablets. Also I'm in Canada (though I have lots of friends that are willing to reship things to me if the deal is worth it). Does anyone have any thoughts?

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Naelyan posted:

With black friday coming up, does anyone have anything to keep an eye out for? I have a functional gaming desktop already, so I'm looking for something I can take with me to work (I'm a chef) to work on menus and invoicing, and run the usual netflix/youtube/whatever. I was looking at the Thinkpad T450, I don't think I need anything bigger than 14" or 15". I have never owned a laptop before, I've exclusively had desktops and tablets. Also I'm in Canada (though I have lots of friends that are willing to reship things to me if the deal is worth it). Does anyone have any thoughts?

When I was doing inventory for my bar my T230 was great. It was small and compact. This T460 i have now doesn't feel as mobile.

Typhus733
Aug 30, 2008
Would a refurbished t430/40 do the job for music editing and playing old rear end games like vanilla WoW and things off GoG for cheap? Like in the $250-400 range.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
If by "vanilla WoW" you mean actually version 1.x, then it will run on virtually anything since it's 12 years old. Even Legion WoW still runs on the Pentium M system that I used to play vanilla when it was current, although it's not smooth at all anymore.

In my experience with an i5-3320M which is about what you'd get in a T430, Legion was quite playable but not very smooth (30-40fps?) soloing at 720p 3/10 detail. A T440 would probably be noticeably but not greatly improved from that, since an i5-6200U is able to run 1080p 4/10 fairly smoothly (50-55fps?).

I don't think music editing takes much power typically, but someone tell me if I'm wrong.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Nov 20, 2016

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I was doing music editing with audacity on a netbook in 2009, but once you start layering in multiple tracks with autotune or something (dunno I lost interest shortly after that) it might need more. But not much. Most any laptop could do video and audio editing by 2010, so an i5 from 2013 or 2014 shouldn't have any problems.

If you're playing games that require 3d you should at least get the T430 as that has the reasonably good HD4000, but the T440 has about 10-15% better graphics than that. In my experience most anything will run on an HD4000 on the very lowest settings at 25fps.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Hadlock posted:

I was doing music editing with audacity on a netbook in 2009, but once you start layering in multiple tracks with autotune or something (dunno I lost interest shortly after that) it might need more. But not much. Most any laptop could do video and audio editing by 2010, so an i5 from 2013 or 2014 shouldn't have any problems.
This is like relating your experience with Paint on Windows 98 to someone asking about current day PhotoShopping.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I have an MSI PE60 laptop using an Intel H chipset with 8GB of DDR4 RAM. I want to upgrade it to 16GB and I want to know if it makes any difference if I buy RAM with lower latency (the current ones installed are C15 and the lowest I can find are C13). I heard with DDR4 latency matters less than with DDR3.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

The Iron Rose, have you gotten your X5V6 yet? You mentioned you'd post a small review, and I'm mostly interested in temperatures.

The X5 seems to perform a little worse than the X7 despite both having the same specs, which makes me think the X5 is throttling under gaming loads.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Flipperwaldt posted:

This is like relating your experience with Paint on Windows 98 to someone asking about current day PhotoShopping.

Yeah I certainly am not claiming I'm deadmau5 or anything but audio mixing/recording hasn't been on the list of "taxing high end apps" for a very long time was my point. Audacity isn't very high end I agree.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

The Iron Rose, have you gotten your X5V6 yet? You mentioned you'd post a small review, and I'm mostly interested in temperatures.

The X5 seems to perform a little worse than the X7 despite both having the same specs, which makes me think the X5 is throttling under gaming loads.

I've had it since early October... In the United states and I'm not flying out until December 6th. Would have gone earlier, but I had to get surgery and was delayed as a result.

But I'll post a review then!

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Hadlock posted:

audio mixing/recording hasn't been on the list of "taxing high end apps" for a very long time was my point.
That's the point I'm disputing, yes.

Slicing up some wavs for a podcast, doing some offline processing and maybe some minimal realtime processing? Sure, buy whatever.

Start throwing in 2016 era software synthesizers and high end effects and real time, latency free monitoring of live processed recordings and you can easily bring modern desktop cpus to their knees. In 2010, plugins were saving processor cycles left and right like a motherfucker by taking shortcuts out of necessity, whereas today (not always with good reason) there's a focus on quality through oversampling and anti-aliassing which are power hungry as gently caress. Expectations have moved on too. You wouldn't think of using a convolution reverb in real time in 2010 because it wasn't feasible. Algorithmic all the way. Today, algorithmic reverbs are marketed as old school and retro gimmicks, because they sound so lame in comparison.

For someone into electronic dance music production, it's really not hard to imagine wanting a cpu ten times as powerful. Raising the audio buffer size the heavier you project gets is still normal. Bouncing down or freezing all the other tracks while recording to save cpu cycles is still common practice. And wouldn't be if this wasn't taxing.

Simple Simon
Dec 29, 2008

"Good sir, would you fancy a Salmon tartar?"
So my dad came to me today. He needs a new laptop for work. His work can give him a lovely one but they can lease one that is stronger but still poo poo to him for a high cost but it seems to be a bad deal.
He uses autocad and does a lot of computing and drawing. So he was thinking about getting a gaming but what is a good deal for him?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

What does he need? XPS15 and ThinkPad T/X (depending on how he uses AutoCAD, and budget, perhaps P is more the thing) are the sort of standards.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

What is the recommended Chromebook I can use for meeting notes and maybe occasional netflixing?

Sub 200 would be great

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Looking to join up with my mom to buy a good laptop for my teen brother, send help.

~$1200 max (It may be able to exceed this if it's an HP, since mom gets a nice incentive to HPs from her work, but it also needs to be durable so)
- Needs to be decent at gaming
- Will ostensibly be a school laptop
- He's an awkward teen so it needs to be very durable.

Please advise.

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012
I'm looking for a solid gaming laptop with a 1070 , for work purposes (I'm a 3d artist), for under 2k. There are a lot of deals out there for black Friday at the moment it looks like, is there a general consensus as to which brand is best? Ie, msi, asus, alienware, sager, etc?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Moriatti posted:

Looking to join up with my mom to buy a good laptop for my teen brother, send help.

~$1200 max (It may be able to exceed this if it's an HP, since mom gets a nice incentive to HPs from her work, but it also needs to be durable so)
- Needs to be decent at gaming
- Will ostensibly be a school laptop
- He's an awkward teen so it needs to be very durable.

Please advise.

Wait a month for 1050ti laptops to start appearing?

Otherwise this is the best option.

Alternatively look for a laptop with a 970m, which you can get for roughly $1000 or so in a bit nicer form factors, but you lose out on a fair bit of performance.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Anyone have thoughts on the razer blade 14 versus the aorus x3v6? I'm having a lot of trouble deciding between the two since there are no real reviews of the Pascal refreshes to speak of.

The aorus looks to have a marginally better processor and the 3200x1800 screen is cheaper than the 1080p razer, but I couldn't game at that resolution anyways and the razer looks less.... dumb. It's there anything to suggest one might handle the heat better than the other?

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

VorpalFish posted:

Anyone have thoughts on the razer blade 14 versus the aorus x3v6? I'm having a lot of trouble deciding between the two since there are no real reviews of the Pascal refreshes to speak of.

The aorus looks to have a marginally better processor and the 3200x1800 screen is cheaper than the 1080p razer, but I couldn't game at that resolution anyways and the razer looks less.... dumb. It's there anything to suggest one might handle the heat better than the other?

The Razer Blade is generally known to throttle, get very hot (there's a video out there of it running at 95c on Overwatch), and has poor thermal management. You may see temps in the high eighties to low nineties at normal gaming loads, and if you do synthetic loads, you'll thermal throttle your machine.

For the Blade, they also implemented a custom throttling technique that you need to use Throttlestop to turn off. If you don't, you are not actually getting the full power out of your 1060, but only about 85~90% (for reference, see 3DM scores and game benchmarks). There's been no official word on why they did this, and whether it's safe to turn it off or not. Many users on the Razer forums are reporting turning it off and getting full power without a rise in temperatures.

Nobody knows about the Aorus X3 V6 yet because there don't seem to be many reviews and nobody actually seems to *have* one yet, and if they do, they haven't been posting temps or doing vid reviews etc.

However, with that said, any laptop under an inch and with a 14 inch screen, if it doesn't have a massive chassis (which these don't), is going to handle temps poorly without a doubt. The 1060 is a hot chip, and it has a more concentrated heat output than, say, a 970m it replaces, which makes it more difficult to cool.

Your 14 inch options are the two you mentioned and the MSI GS43VR. There is also the Aero 14 but it's not out yet and will almost certainly have thermal issues. The Alienware 13 is also on pre-order, and nobody knows about its temps and whether it suffers from the same CPU heatsink uneven mounting issues the 15 and 17 do.

The Blade and MSI have tons of reported throttling and running at high temps, for more information on those, visit their respective forums on Notebookreview.com. And as I said, nobody knows about the Aorus, but my bet is under any kind of heavy dual CPU+GPU load, it will throttle.

All 14 inch options will be loud at load.

Despite all these drawbacks, I'm leaning toward the X3 myself. Given it's a similar price to the blade, the reason why is I expect it to handle thermals a little better due to the much thicker chassis (17mm vs 23mm), but I'm waiting for reviews.

ETA: It may also be a consideration that the blade has no upgradability whatsoever. Basically everything is soldered to the board, pretty much. The Aorus will allow you to upgrade RAM if you like, or alternatively add more storage since it has that second M2 slot.

However, the Aorus has no TB3 if eGPU is on your radar.

Another consideration is that Razer takes pride in having the worst customer support and RMA process on earth. Aorus is only marginally better, as far as I can tell. If you're in the UK, don't use Scan.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Nov 21, 2016

Simple Simon
Dec 29, 2008

"Good sir, would you fancy a Salmon tartar?"

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

What does he need? XPS15 and ThinkPad T/X (depending on how he uses AutoCAD, and budget, perhaps P is more the thing) are the sort of standards.

Mainly for drawing floor planing and blueprints. Placing fire alarms and such. Uses it almost daily.

Bizarro Buddha
Feb 11, 2007
Anyone have any experience expediting Dell shipments? My order was confirmed and it's estimated to arrive a couple of days before I fly to the other side of the world. Naturally I'm worried about missing it if it slips. Dells FAQs and a quick google seem to suggest you can't change shipping options after placing your order :(

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
This seems like a pretty decent laptop for $1000, even though it's a generation back. ASUS ROG 17.3" FHD G-Sync G751JY-VS71 - How would this compare to a 2012 I5 desktop with a GTX 560ti? I mostly play older games (Star Wars:The Old Republic, Saints Row 4, etc).

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Medullah posted:

This seems like a pretty decent laptop for $1000, even though it's a generation back. ASUS ROG 17.3" FHD G-Sync G751JY-VS71 - How would this compare to a 2012 I5 desktop with a GTX 560ti? I mostly play older games (Star Wars:The Old Republic, Saints Row 4, etc).

Can you wait until January for Pascal 1050/1060

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Hadlock posted:

Can you wait until January for Pascal 1050/1060

Yep, not in a hurry at all. Newegg said "$500 off pre-Black Friday!" deal but it seems like it's not ACTUALLY $500 (As usual) since it's only $100 more on Amazon.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

The Razer Blade is generally known to throttle, get very hot (there's a video out there of it running at 95c on Overwatch), and has poor thermal management. You may see temps in the high eighties to low nineties at normal gaming loads, and if you do synthetic loads, you'll thermal throttle your machine.

For the Blade, they also implemented a custom throttling technique that you need to use Throttlestop to turn off. If you don't, you are not actually getting the full power out of your 1060, but only about 85~90% (for reference, see 3DM scores and game benchmarks). There's been no official word on why they did this, and whether it's safe to turn it off or not. Many users on the Razer forums are reporting turning it off and getting full power without a rise in temperatures.

Nobody knows about the Aorus X3 V6 yet because there don't seem to be many reviews and nobody actually seems to *have* one yet, and if they do, they haven't been posting temps or doing vid reviews etc.

However, with that said, any laptop under an inch and with a 14 inch screen, if it doesn't have a massive chassis (which these don't), is going to handle temps poorly without a doubt. The 1060 is a hot chip, and it has a more concentrated heat output than, say, a 970m it replaces, which makes it more difficult to cool.

Your 14 inch options are the two you mentioned and the MSI GS43VR. There is also the Aero 14 but it's not out yet and will almost certainly have thermal issues. The Alienware 13 is also on pre-order, and nobody knows about its temps and whether it suffers from the same CPU heatsink uneven mounting issues the 15 and 17 do.

The Blade and MSI have tons of reported throttling and running at high temps, for more information on those, visit their respective forums on Notebookreview.com. And as I said, nobody knows about the Aorus, but my bet is under any kind of heavy dual CPU+GPU load, it will throttle.

All 14 inch options will be loud at load.

Despite all these drawbacks, I'm leaning toward the X3 myself. Given it's a similar price to the blade, the reason why is I expect it to handle thermals a little better due to the much thicker chassis (17mm vs 23mm), but I'm waiting for reviews.

ETA: It may also be a consideration that the blade has no upgradability whatsoever. Basically everything is soldered to the board, pretty much. The Aorus will allow you to upgrade RAM if you like, or alternatively add more storage since it has that second M2 slot.

However, the Aorus has no TB3 if eGPU is on your radar.

Another consideration is that Razer takes pride in having the worst customer support and RMA process on earth. Aorus is only marginally better, as far as I can tell. If you're in the UK, don't use Scan.

Yeah, I do realize that it's pretty impossible to dissipate ~130 watts in a 14 inch chassis gracefully. My plan is to undervolt everything as much as I can and hope for the best. I think the alienware is too heavy to consider, but I'll give some thought to the msi and the Aero - I do like 1440p as a middle ground between 1080 and 1800.

Thanks for the input!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bone
Feb 15, 2007

We're boned.
What do you guys think of this laptop? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834234412&ignorebbr=1

I know it's a ~gaming laptop~ but I already have a PC for gaming and this just seems like a solid laptop at a good price. Am I wrong?