Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Thalantos posted:

The issue here is that the government made a contract with these folks and isn't fulfilling their side of things

is this actually true though though or is it something people choose to believe based on bad experiences and entitlement

most people don't even get guaranteed health care. some people have to wait a hell of a lot longer than three weeks to get a free doctor's visit

lol at the concept of people who presumably spent a fair amount of time in the armed services flabbergasted at how inefficient and incompetent the federal government can be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

My economic burdens have gotten worse as well under Obama. Also, the VA got noticeably worse under him too.

If only he'd waved his magic wand to bypass obstructionism and make everything all better... The President isn't a dictator*.

*yet :ssh:

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
I'd loving love it if CNN's reward for getting Donald Trump elected president was losing press access to the White House. It's not like they were particularly critical of him before, so either they throw a tantrum in response or they continue being as worthless as ever. It's funny to me too, because you could probably make a killing being the only major openly anti-Trump outlet in town

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Confounding Factor posted:

That's the thing. The conservative underclass and gun nuts will ALWAYS vote, so that's like what 30% of the electorate right there? I know Democrat voters are usually rational, so I wonder if they saw these pollsters give Clinton a surefire percentage of winning and decided to stay home?

Both candidates were unlikable, more so for Trump, but still that's no excuse not to vote. People died for my right to vote.

https://twitter.com/fawfulfan/status/800708268037459968

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Thalantos posted:

The issue here is that the government made a contract with these folks and isn't fulfilling their side of things

and the democrats could have had their votes, if they even reached out to them a little bit.

But we let trump take most of them.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

boner confessor posted:

do you realize that ww2 vets made up the largest portion of american vets (16m, over 1.5m still living) vietnam vets the next largest portion (8.5m, 4.7m still living, average age around 70), there are more living korean war vets than there are living first gulf war vets. the vet cohort is largely old and dying from old age, ignoring this fact is something people do for political reasons

sure the va has problems but elderly people dying before they can get proper healthcare is a problem of the american healthcare system in general

I didn't know this, my bad! That's what I get for talking out of my rear end

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Excellent. Keep pissing off the media.

Also if Sulzberger doesn't wear a wire to the next meeting he is an idiot.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

boner confessor posted:

is this actually true though though or is it something people choose to believe based on bad experiences and entitlement

most people don't even get guaranteed health care. some people have to wait a hell of a lot longer than three weeks to get a free doctor's visit

lol at the concept of people who presumably spent a fair amount of time in the armed services flabbergasted at how inefficient and incompetent the federal government can be

lol at the people who think veterans have to "wait 3 weeks before they get a free doctor's visit"

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Pollyanna posted:

I too am happy to see the media begin to fall under Trump's control :shepface:

We'll there is always MSNBC...

Still Trump is sorta right. At his rallies he hardly railed about building the wall, deporting immigrants, mocking the disabled and all that. CNN and the like cut some of the footage and presented it as how much of a clown he is but his overall message was a lot different than what the mainstream media showed. They wanted hyperbole, its what gets people to watch their banal coverage.

I'm not trying to defend Trump's campaign here. Yeah he's a total dog fucker of a human who should never have gotten even an inkling of a chance at the presidency, but we have to be a little more honest.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me

:negative:

gently caress that's a huge one too

one of my good friends killed himself recently :smith:

Jesus, I'm sorry. :(

Hang in there, buddy. I've PM if you ever need to talk....

Some days, I only held on due to my desire to spite statistics(being transgender and a combat veteran, I've probably got one of the higher chances of offing myself, statistically....)

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

SSNeoman posted:

I agree with all this but what can we do about it? Like even here few people can muster up reasons why Clinton was that bad (third party lobotomy victims need not apply), the best reason probably came from Ezra Klein ("she's too cautious and poo poo might take a while"). That's the GOP spin machine doing work. And with the advent of essentially pirate news like reddit, we have yellow journalism 2.0. How do we fight against that without going into fake news territory. I mean "let old age, pain pills and meth take the fuckers" sounds good on paper, but I like economics and humanity so I'd rather it didn't get to that point.

We have to design campaign narratives for these new realities. Include the "meme wars" as part of the planned evolution of a campaign narrative. That's not to say we needed more memes from the Clinton campaign, but that we need to understand how messages get passed and narratives established in the uncontrolled media spaces. We need to focus on winning the non-political spaces where political opinion is formed.

And also recognize that as dumb as it has become, online matters. The number of activists initially pushing the Clinton health conspiracy stuff was very small but vocal online.

But I'm also still frustrated at perennial organizing attempts. We need more real honest to goodness (unpaid) backchannel DNC shills. And we need it 10x and coordinated from the left wing activist groups.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

We'll there is always MSNBC...

Still Trump is sorta right. At his rallies he hardly railed about building the wall, deporting immigrants, mocking the disabled and all that. CNN and the like cut some of the footage and presented it as how much of a clown he is but his overall message was a lot different than what the mainstream media showed. They wanted hyperbole, its what gets people to watch their banal coverage.

I'm not trying to defend Trump's campaign here. Yeah he's a total dog fucker of a human who should never have gotten even an inkling of a chance at the presidency, but we have to be a little more honest.

You didn't watch much CNN did you?

They aired his rallies end to end. Constantly.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

the black husserl posted:

The craziest thing about all of this is that people seem to be honestly arguing that Democrats have hosed the poor. Like it's just an accepted fact and we should give the Republicans a chance because they're nicer to poor people, even though they're sometimes racist about it.

Are you loving kidding me?

Every single criticism you could possibly toss at the Dems about economic issues applies a hundred fold to the Republicans. You're mad at the Democrats for not....abolishing capitalism? What the gently caress? Everyone in this thread is acting like this election means we all just agreed to toss out capitalism and the only debate is whether or not to toss out the Muslims with it.

You're downright objectively stupid if you think the Republicans are going to do one thing to help the poor. They don't give a poo poo. You know the loving motto.

They elected a petty unstable narcissistic pampered baby-man billionaire to President because HE cares about the working class and the poor and will fix everything. *cuts taxes on the rich and corporations by a huge amount*

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Spaced God posted:

I didn't know this, my bad! That's what I get for talking out of my rear end

here check this out

https://www.va.gov/vetdata/veteran_population.asp

as of 2013 there were approximately 1.05m american veterans under the age of 30

there were 3.15m american veterans between the age of 65-69. there were 9.6m over the age of retirement. there were more veterans older than 85 than there were under 30

there's really no suprise as to why a lot of them are dying before a doctor can see them

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Nov 22, 2016

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

Trabisnikof posted:

I think the fact you think she complete ignored economics is a big reason for the loss. It was, yes, bad messaging and priorities but it was there in her stump, it was there in the debates, it was there in the policies certainly. The issue is of course, none of that plays.

"Who cares about Trump's plans to cut the wages of 20 million of his own supporters, have you heard the new drama about what Trump said?" Meanwhile, the even more boring message of Clinton wanting to do a bunch of executive orders to help workers gets completely lost.

Part of the big issue is Democrats get held to the details of their plans. Sanders got factchecked on the cost of his college proposal in the primary while Trump can be entirely vague about plans that could cost vastly more but he gets to slide.

It doesn't have to be about executive orders. In fact, even if people KNOW you cannot do something, It gives them a better idea of you as a candidate if you tell them what you would LIKE to do. As it is, I feel like trump dissing on Clinton, with her just talking about the issues, and actually NOT lowering herself to trumps level would have given her a lot of cred. If we wanted Trump to do the talking, we should have just left him to it. People did not need us to repeat what he said for them to hear it.

As it is, I only noticed her responding to Trump's words, rather than talking about things she wanted to do. The more I think about it, the less it seems negative campaigning seems to have worked.

thechosenone fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Nov 22, 2016

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Yes and Democrats who are in Congress need to be just as obstructionist as the GOPers were during Obama's presidency. Enough of this bullshit liberal "let's give him a chance".

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

boner confessor posted:

Yes. Yes, it is!

The enlistment contract you sign is about like three inches thick.

And considering you have to go get shot at to qualify, it's not really all that "free"

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Thalantos posted:

Jesus, I'm sorry. :(

Hang in there, buddy. I've PM if you ever need to talk....

Some days, I only held on due to my desire to spite statistics(being transgender and a combat veteran, I've probably got one of the higher chances of offing myself, statistically....)

:/

Are you in NYC by any chance? If you ever wanna chill, hit me up.

Hang in there, we need more people like you to lead us out of this hole we dug ourselves in.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Thalantos posted:

And considering you have to go get shot at to qualify, it's not really all that "free"

way to erase the ~80% of veterans who never see combat, and all the vets who served in peacetime

if you chose a combat mos to get healthcare benefits, uh, well, there's a reason they recruit people mainly under 25

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Yes and Democrats who are in Congress need to be just as obstructionist as the GOPers were during Obama's presidency. Enough of this bullshit liberal "let's give him a chance".

If you are reading this, You ARE The Resistance.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

GreyjoyBastard posted:

On the plus side, it's fundamentally a messaging problem, because Democratic policies are uniequivocally better for the working poor than Republican policies.

This is a much better less bad situation to be in than having to sell policies that are worse for the working poor.

Edit: I see, to my surprise, that I have been beaten.

Unless something changes, policy doesn't matter anymore. We went from soundbite politics to "just loving lie to me about everything" politics. Whoever tells the most and best outright lies wins.

It's just too hard to counter the lies and disinformation now. If it take 3 paragraphs to disprove a one sentence lie that people want to believe, then it's already over.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

boner confessor posted:

way to erase the ~80% of veterans who never see combat, and all the vets who served in peacetime

But that still makes sense given that. Those who didn't see combat didn't get free healthcare. That is a problem.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

thechosenone posted:

It doesn't have to be about executive orders. In fact, even if people KNOW you cannot do something, It gives them a better idea of you as a candidate if you tell them what you would LIKE to do. As it is, I feel like trump dissing on Clinton, with her just talking about the issues, and actually NOT lowering herself to trumps level would have given her a lot of cred. If we wanted Trump to do the talking, we should have just left him to it. People did not need us to repeat what he said for them to hear it.

She tried that strategy for a while, you could see it in the debates. But the problem is no one asks Trump about the negative impacts of mercury when he wants to reopen coal mines, but the media does lead with the price tag of a Democratic proposal.

Looking to the future we have to both articulate a believable vision and also don't fall prey to a narrative gotcha when the media of social media focuses on some element of that vision.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

boner confessor posted:

if you chose a combat mos to get healthcare benefits, uh, well, there's a reason they recruit people mainly under 25

Yes, let's take a big poo poo on veterans, the working class, white people, PoC who didn't vote for Hillary, anyone who didn't vote for Hillary, people who couldn't leave work to vote.... did I leave anyone out?

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MariusLecter posted:

If you are reading this, You ARE The Resistance.

I'm not sure I understand. What are you asking of me?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

RandomBlue posted:

Unless something changes, policy doesn't matter anymore. We went from soundbite politics to "just loving lie to me about everything" politics. Whoever tells the most and best outright lies wins.

It's just too hard to counter the lies and disinformation now. If it take 3 paragraphs to disprove a one sentence lie that people want to believe, then it's already over.

But a lie you hate will never convince you over a lie you like assuming both sides are screaming.

We need you to already like our lie first.

Also the lie could be true for all it matters.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

RandomBlue posted:

But how many lies does it take to disprove the truth? If you accept something to be true, and it is true, it is just that much harder for someone to lie to you. You don't have to disprove untruths, you just have to convince people of the truth, and they will naturally reinforce themselves with it. Lies don't have a leg to stand on compared to the truth.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Politicians seek to engage with those who have money

If anyone really wants Trump to burn, run for office

Y'all are pretty qualified

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Trabisnikof posted:

She tried that strategy for a while, you could see it in the debates. But the problem is no one asks Trump about the negative impacts of mercury when he wants to reopen coal mines, but the media does lead with the price tag of a Democratic proposal.

Looking to the future we have to both articulate a believable vision and also don't fall prey to a narrative gotcha when the media of social media focuses on some element of that vision.

I don't understand anything you wrote in this post, can you dumb it down for me a bit?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I'm not sure I understand. What are you asking of me?

I think they want your Ohm value?

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

Trabisnikof posted:

We don't have to think of things as that complicated. While it is important to prevent people from being harmed by mercury, it is also good to know how useful that mercury is when we capture it. Being green isn't just about not polluting, it is about efficiency, and the reduction of waste by making said waste something we want. A principle which can be understood by anyone, especially people who are self reliant (or at least fancy themselves more self reliant than others).

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

I don't understand anything you wrote in this post, can you dumb it down for me a bit?

Hillary tried to get a pro-worker message across but anti trump stuff seemed to work better?

Trump stuff flies like pumpkin spice.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
https://twitter.com/yashar/status/800837035992948737%5C

America.

God help us.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

the new york post is a rag and if they had anything they wouldn't be using heavily photoshopped clickbait preview images

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

thechosenone posted:

But how many lies does it take to disprove the truth? If you accept something to be true, and it is true, it is just that much harder for someone to lie to you. You don't have to disprove untruths, you just have to convince people of the truth, and they will naturally reinforce themselves with it. Lies don't have a leg to stand on compared to the truth.

Perhaps you should catch up on recent events...

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

RandomBlue posted:

Perhaps you should catch up on recent events...

Was there some sort of disaster relating to the removal of mercury from the exhaust of powerplants? Or some similar issue?

Oh you mean the disproving truth thing. Well, the main thing there is that things have to make sense, or else you just keep ramming into the facts. Things which are difficult to disprove and which are false can hang on for like, forever, but If they try to go up against something you can't ignore, they end up having a bad time. So what we need to do is just convince folks of things which help to build a foundation of facts which can shatter the lies which are cast upon it. This is easier said than done, but once someone knows whats good, they aren't gonna want to go back to the bad stuff.

thechosenone fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Nov 22, 2016

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

MariusLecter posted:

Hillary tried to get a pro-worker message across but anti trump stuff seemed to work better?

Trump stuff flies like pumpkin spice.

Pretty sure the only "pro worker message" she sent out was screaming

"WE'RE GONNA PUT COAL MINERS OUTTA BUSINESS"

everything else was "well during my time working in the senate drafting legislation with my republican peers, I recall...zzzzzzzzzzz"

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

thechosenone posted:

Nah lies are way more comfy than truths. Truths have no natural edge.

Nah I'm probably just not communicating well thb. Basically Clinton actually trying to stay on policies is too drat boring for the media. And when Democrats try to propose something dramatic and exciting the press factchecks and freaks out over cost etc.

Meanwhile no one holds Trump to account for his crazy proposals, so they just cover it with no criticism of details, since he won't give any.

So we have to come up with some pretty vision of the world without getting hosed when the press goes "actually that plan makes you the most spendy candidate ever, try and live it down".

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

:/

Are you in NYC by any chance? If you ever wanna chill, hit me up.

Hang in there, we need more people like you to lead us out of this hole we dug ourselves in.

Atlanta, I'm afraid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

Politicians seek to engage with those who have money

Id say this would be up for debate in a just world. Hillary had the largest warchest ever and faceplanted against an idiot who didn't even run a ground game in states that he won.

That's the biggest repudiation of money in politics I've ever seen

• Locked thread