Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE
All this talk of MGS and JoJo makes me realize that the Man on Fire would've been cooler if he had been someone's Stand, instead of lameo Volgin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

If it had been literally anything other than what he was he would have been cooler, it's not possible to be less cool than what that turned out to be.

RE: Pokemon starters in the anime thread. My Decidueye is Paisley Park and my Primarina is Soft + Wet. just LOL if you even consider Incineroar.

Improbable Lobster posted:

More stands should wear sunglasses

Stone Free looks best with shutter shades, honestly.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Improbable Lobster posted:

More stands should wear sunglasses

yeah

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

FirstAidKite posted:

I wish araki didn't rely so much on animal brutality and sexual assault as his go-tos tho.

I mean, it makes sense why he'd do that, he's from a culture that, from my admittedly limited understanding, doesn't treat women all that well and on top of all of that, he's also a big horror movie buff and horror films are absolutely rooted in that kind of shock horror, making the audience scared through threat of sexual violence or punishing sexually active people through violence or hurting animals to show just how bad someone or something is. It's kind of interesting seeing how much of a product araki is of the media he consumes.

I find it weird it happens so much to Lucy since I can't think of any time before in the series where sexual assault was really a thing. There's Dio kissing Erina that had really obvious implications, but other than that it was pretty non-existent. Even the part with three women as main characters (and came directly before part 7) never stooped to using sexual assault as a threat.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Maybe it was the switch from shonen jump to ultra jump?

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Josuke Higashikata posted:

If it had been literally anything other than what he was he would have been cooler, it's not possible to be less cool than what that turned out to be.

RE: Pokemon starters in the anime thread. My Decidueye is Paisley Park and my Primarina is Soft + Wet. just LOL if you even consider Incineroar.

i named my rockruff Iggy and he's my strong earth using fart boy

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

standard owl posted:

god C-MOON's face is just so hosed up. very bad man to look at, bad to see and take in with the eyes

It's half-way between Los Vegas style dancing girl makeup and Dia de los Muertos skull makeup.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

Maybe it was the switch from shonen jump to ultra jump?

Probably, yeah. I've been getting the feeling that "sexual assault" is Araki's way of doing the adult version of "kill the dog", but I've been noticing in JoJolion that whenever sex comes up and it isn't referencing that, it's either neutral at best (Jo2uke's accidental boner) or horrifying (i.e. the old guy going through "equivalent exchange") at worst. I'm gonna take a wild stab and pin this on him being really into horror., or at least for part of that. :v:

e: so basically what firstaidkite said.

BaDandy fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Nov 20, 2016

Hey Chief
Feb 21, 2013

In part 3 there's Strength, where the bad guy pervs on Ann in the shower (a scene Araki cribbed from a horror movie) and then all those ladies that Dio killed in his lair while old lady Enya was monologuing.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Hey Chief posted:

and then all those ladies that Dio killed in his lair while old lady Enya was monologuing.

And that's just Gothic horror.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

I have to admit, there's only one Lucy being-creeped-on scene I really noticed, and that's when Valentine goes after her. And that scene was fuckin' great. Not only does Lucy actually KILL him, he then comes back in the first revelation of D4C's abilities, and it's just horrifying and you just keep hoping she gets away and oh dear WHAT THE gently caress IS GOING ON WITH THAT SKULL :stare:

I really liked that whole sequence of events, because it was super tense and downright terrifying.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Momomo posted:

I find it weird it happens so much to Lucy since I can't think of any time before in the series where sexual assault was really a thing. There's Dio kissing Erina that had really obvious implications, but other than that it was pretty non-existent. Even the part with three women as main characters (and came directly before part 7) never stooped to using sexual assault as a threat.

Part 2 had the bit with Joseph threatening to kiss women if they didn't stop screaming, I don't remember if there was anything like that with suzy q tho during the whole esidisi thing. 4 has a lot of violence against women because that's what Kira's MO is, and the violence wouldn't normally be considered sexual but it's definitely sexual for Kira.

I imagine the switch to ultra jump was one of the things that let araki push the boundaries a little, though. The worst of that kind of stuff started with lucy I think and while you can see the seeds of it in early parts, it seems like it wasn't until he didn't have to censor himself as much that he could go further and that's why suddenly steel ball run had Lucy getting creeped on by 4 or 5 characters over the course of the story and yasuho ends up in all kinds of bad situations that almost result in her being molested or groped or raped or kidnapped

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
It also felt a lot like Araki Forgot that Lucy was 14

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i definitely don't like the lucy stuff in part 7 but really the way i've seen it is that araki was angling for a certain kind of horror given the time period he was portraying

he just didn't pull off a lot of it very well, and at least like 75% of it didn't need to exist

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE
https://twitter.com/WeedStoneOcean/status/800160291833180161

I have good feelings.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Yes, YES... yes...

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Stone Ocean takes place in in 2011, already failing

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Moltrey posted:

Stone Ocean takes place in in 2011, already failing

https://twitter.com/WeedStoneOcean/status/800171523269128196

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Stoned Ocean is such a good goddamned name and, I know it's common to say "lol is this not what actually happened haha" but really.

https://twitter.com/WeedStoneOcean/status/800177515524423680

Really.

e:

BaDandy fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Nov 20, 2016

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

As self-appointed debbie downer and person who looks down on all of you, I would like to state that just like Always Sunny in Morioh, there are actually no jokes in these things.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

As self-appointed debbie downer and person who looks down on all of you, I would like to state that just like Always Sunny in Morioh, there are actually no jokes in these things.

Don't worry, your wrong opinions are white noise to the rest of the thread by now.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

My correct ones are shining justice, naturally.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/WeedStoneOcean/status/800164759828103168

https://twitter.com/WeedStoneOcean/status/800165244463173633

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

"This sounds suspiciously like a trap for marine biologists" god it's so obvious, how did I never see it

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

My correct ones are shining justice, naturally.

maybe you'd like to share one for a change

just kidding, of course, I've never wanted to hear what you think

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

See: Every post I ever did except the 7453rd, which was debateable.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

See: Every post I ever did except the 7453rd, which was debateable.

I counted them all, and it turns out that this post is the 7453rd. Does that make the statement more or less true? That's up to you, yes, you the viewer to decide!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It was number 20762 apparently so excuse you!!!

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice
I know it's early but I can't loving wait to finally bite the dust this Friday you guys

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Same, but also to watch Jojo before I do

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

dai san no bakudan...

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
baitsa dasuto

cant wait for rohan's nosy rear end to get himself killed

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Dear Agony Aunt

I think my dad is a bus. What should I do?

- Paper Frogs

King Superman
Nov 14, 2016
While Rohan getting himself blown up sounds like something that ought to be hilarious, I remember actually being pretty bummed out by it, since it's immediately followed by a horrified Reimi watching the ghost of the kid she used to babysit pass on in extreme agony.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I still find it funny because everytime Rohan gets into some poo poo in Part 4, it's like always his loving fault. Cheap Trick, taunting Josuke, investigating the tunnel room, reading past DO NOT READ BEYOND THIS POINT, Rohan just constantly self owns himself.

Either way it's gonna be a good cliffhanger if they stop there, but that prob wont fill 22 minutes

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Dear Agony Aunt

I think my dad is a bus. What should I do?

- Paper Frogs

Leave Aishou alone he's a good boy

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

King Superman posted:

While Rohan getting himself blown up sounds like something that ought to be hilarious, I remember actually being pretty bummed out by it, since it's immediately followed by a horrified Reimi watching the ghost of the kid she used to babysit pass on in extreme agony.

I thought it was funny because Kira was standing there with Hayato taunging Rohan, saying "Oh look, what do you think hes thinking? 'I cant draw manga anymooore'".

Its funny because thats probably exactly what Rohan was thinking.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

It's this much later and I still can't get over the fact that DIO was just stopping time, running down the steps, grabbing Polnareff, moving him down a few steps, then running back up, and finally resuming his pose before resuming time all to gently caress with one man's head

It's that level of commitment to sheer dickery that makes DIO such a top-tier villain

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

King Superman posted:

Best girl Reimi crying about best boy Rohan being killed is an extremely sad page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Superman
Nov 14, 2016

Meme Emulator posted:

I thought it was funny because Kira was standing there with Hayato taunging Rohan, saying "Oh look, what do you think hes thinking? 'I cant draw manga anymooore'".

Its funny because thats probably exactly what Rohan was thinking.

I'd actually forgotten that bit. That inspired me to read Another One Bites the Dust again, and upon doing so I discovered that I'd also forgotten this bit: Kira punches Hayato in the loving face, only for Killer Queen Bites the Dust to automatically pop in to protect him from harm.

KQ: "What am I doing here."