Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Honest expecting the other Trunks who in this timeline is the Xenoverse one who the Supreme Kai of Time took.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

or maybe the entire time patrol stuff will never be a thing in the anime and manga and only exists in games to give an excuse why your original character is in all of Goku's most important moments in life

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

But the reason is because I'm Goku's very good friend, Spud.

Batmasterson
Dec 7, 2010

Bang Bang Bang
Was there supposed to be any malice in the way Whis's dad said he would come visit Universe 7 at some point? I couldn't tell if it was some major foreshadowing, or if they were still just being cheeky about the reveal of him being the father of Whis.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I don't think there was malice, he just does the Whis thing of speaking kinda snobby almost?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Rigged Death Trap posted:

You have to admit though.

This episode was SMT AS gently caress.
(New mitama face based on Zamasu please atlus)

E:

Not even, this was some stright up YVHW poo poo going down here.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Dias posted:

I don't think there was malice, he just does the Whis thing of speaking kinda snobby almost?

I think its more feigned disinterest that snobby. I like to think that Whis genuinely cares about his little Earth-dwelling friends apart from the cuisine.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

New Leaf posted:

I think its more feigned disinterest that snobby. I like to think that Whis genuinely cares about his little Earth-dwelling friends apart from the cuisine.

Well, he keeps needling Beerus into helping them/apologizing and he takes Bulma's calls, he really cares. And yeah, I was gonna say blasé at first but it didn't quite fit right. It's more that detached refinement attitude we came to associate with nobility and aristocracy.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Dias posted:

Well, he keeps needling Beerus into helping them/apologizing and he takes Bulma's calls, he really cares. And yeah, I was gonna say blasé at first but it didn't quite fit right. It's more that detached refinement attitude we came to associate with nobility and aristocracy.

He takes Bulmas calls because he is keeping an eye on her. She is an up in comer, more important in the cosmic scheme of things than Beerus.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
If Goku can figure out the Kamehameha in seconds, imagine what someone who can think could do.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

HitTheTargets posted:

If Goku can figure out the Kamehameha in seconds, imagine what someone who can think could do.

If Black Goku is any example the end result would be "Haha, holy poo poo, this body is doing things I can't even explain!!"

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

ImpAtom posted:

If Black Goku is any example the end result would be "Haha, holy poo poo, this body is doing things I can't even explain!!"

"I just ripped a hole in space-time I don't give a gently caress"

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

ImpAtom posted:

Blockhouse posted:

"I just ripped a hole in space-time I don't give a gently caress"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIkmAjNReAM&t=229s

This was such a crowning moment of awesome for the writers. "Who gives a poo poo about what it is? It looks awesome, get hyped!"

Also foreshadow "You cannot grasp the true form of Goku Black's attack"

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Nov 22, 2016

JD
Jan 11, 2003
Has it been said how old Beerus and Whis are?

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

JD posted:

Has it been said how old Beerus and Whis are?

At least as old as Elder Kai

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Rutibex posted:

Has Trunks ever actually kissed Mai when she was conscious? He still seemed to be in the awkward friend-zone when they left for the new world.

Dude what? How do you define your relationships, because they were clearly dating. Where do you get "friend zone" from their relationship?

Remember that kissing on camera means "they had sex".

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Aurora posted:

At least as old as Elder Kai

Beerus shoved Elder Kai in the Z-Sword but that doesn't mean he's as old as him. Though it wouldn't surprise me to learn that Whis was as old as the universe.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

One thing I haven't seen mentioned much is Whis saying they had something far better to seal an immortal Zamasu with. I wonder what the hell is that, and will that come back later somehow?

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

HitTheTargets posted:

goku is a genius of fighting

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Law Cheetah posted:

goku is a genius of fighting

Eh, literally everyone figures out the Kamehameha super quickly. Master Roshi's the only guy who had trouble with it, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Piccolo, Buu, Cell (well, he's cheating), ect all pull it out without much effort.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Vintimus Prime posted:

One thing I haven't seen mentioned much is Whis saying they had something far better to seal an immortal Zamasu with. I wonder what the hell is that, and will that come back later somehow?

I took it mostly as a "Whis can handle all of this and is still well and above Zamasu's power" thing.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

ImpAtom posted:

Eh, literally everyone figures out the Kamehameha super quickly. Master Roshi's the only guy who had trouble with it, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Piccolo, Buu, Cell (well, he's cheating), ect all pull it out without much effort.

to be fair both yamcha and krillin learn it off screen and tien probably learned it from shen

goku and buu are the only ones there who just instantly do it right after seeing it, and goku being a genius at fighting is kind of a thing (there's a reason that he's the guy everyone asks to judge someone's power)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

to be fair both yamcha and krillin learn it off screen and tien probably learned it from shen

goku and buu are the only ones there who just instantly do it right after seeing it, and goku being a genius at fighting is kind of a thing (there's a reason that he's the guy everyone asks to judge someone's power)

Oh yeah, Goku is a genius at fighting, it's just that the kamehameha is apparently not that hard to learn.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

What is so special about the kamahama? Is it inherently stronger than a final flash or special beam cannon? Or is it just that goku uses it and he is cool and strong?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

notaspy posted:

What is so special about the kamahama? Is it inherently stronger than a final flash or special beam cannon? Or is it just that goku uses it and he is cool and strong?

The 'special' thing about the Kamehameha genuinely seems to be that it is all-around good at what it does. It's strong, flexible, easily modified and controlled, and has a very low effort-to-payoff ratio. Goku in particular pulls all kinds of weird variations on it like shooting it out of his feet or making it wait to fire off.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Feet Kamehameha was great, but I'm glad it wasn't rehashed over and over. Makes it feel like a unique moment.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Final Flash never actually kills anything.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Funky Valentine posted:

To be fair, how many kills does any actual named move have in Dragon Ball? Spirit Bomb, Kamehameha, Big Bang Attack all have one, Kaioken has a handful. That's about it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Funky Valentine posted:

To be honest very few named moves do. Like in the Saiyan saga Nappa kills exactly one named person (Piccolo.) Tien and Chaotzu kill themselves and Yamcha gets blown up by a Saibaman. Vegeta kills a bunch of people in the Namek saga but usally with 'generic energy beam" or punching a hole in them. Most people die to generic energy beam or a neck break honestly.

Special Beam Cannon, Kamehameha and Spirit Bomb are the only ones I can think of offhand that actually kill someone.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The octopus in the pirate cave is the first character in dragonball to actually be killed with a named attack (Kamehameha)

e: counting original DB/Z/Super and not including movies here's a kill count

Kamehameha: 5 (Octopus, Tambourine, Cell, Freeza, Copy Vegeta)
Special Beam Cannon: 2 (Raditz, Goku)
Big Bang Attack: 1 (Android 19)
Spirit Bomb: 1 (Kid Buu)

now if you want to be REALLY technical, Majin Vegeta uses what looks like a Big Bang Attack to kill all those tournament crowd people, but he doesn't say the attack name so it can be considered to just be a generic ki blast

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Nov 22, 2016

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

The 'special' thing about the Kamehameha genuinely seems to be that it is all-around good at what it does. It's strong, flexible, easily modified and controlled, and has a very low effort-to-payoff ratio. Goku in particular pulls all kinds of weird variations on it like shooting it out of his feet or making it wait to fire off.

That flexibility is certainly something special - Vegeta developed that sort of thing on his own when he created the Galick Gun, and he considered it a secret weapon. Which makes sense because nobody else in Freeza's army was capable of manipulating it at all (they needed to transform to conserve it, etc.) so in that environment a variable power technique would give its user a massive edge in a fight. He wound up being shocked that Goku already knew a similar technique.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Hell if we're including all Dragonball media Kid Trunks' weird bargain bin Final Flash is more effective than his dad's, since it was half of what killed Bio Broly while Final Flash continues to do jack poo poo in any of the movies

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I understand that DB was kind of the first of its kind, but I wish "big beam" or "big blast" wasn't the default response for everyone. It's cool that Piccolo makes a corkscrew beam, Yamcha has his little guided bomb, Krillin has the destructo disc, Vegetto had his lightsaber, etc. More unique applications of attacks would be cool. I liked what Black did with the scythe, even if it was a little :metal101: try-hard fanfictiony.

I'm glad Trunks also got spirit sword 'cause all of his other moves were basically beams or blasts, despite being the only fighter who uses a weapon.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
What about all the moves that Trunks uses to kill Frieza, Future 17/18, and lovely Future Cell?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Future Trunks was cool because he would randomly bust out Gohan or Vegeta's moves and that's cool.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

pik_d posted:

What about all the moves that Trunks uses to kill Frieza, Future 17/18, and lovely Future Cell?

I was only counting moves Toriyama actually named, not stuff that retroactively got names in the Daizenshuu or the video games

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

What's Trunks' hand thing before he shoots Frieza called?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Burning Attack IIRC

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Josuke Higashikata posted:

100x Big Bang Macarena

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Dexo posted:

Burning Attack IIRC

Ahh, that's right. Thanks

Funky Valentine posted:

100x Big Bang Macarena

This is the real canon though.

• Locked thread