Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

exquisite tea posted:

I think you can do this if you choose to sell out the chesty pirate girl who wants to gently caress everybody. So it's an unpopular decision.

I mean, I did that, but I wanted to go all the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Also the Mages turn bad even if you side with them, which I would actually be fine with, except that the way they turn bad if you side with them is so monumentally lazy and pointless.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

exquisite tea posted:

I think you can do this if you choose to sell out the chesty pirate girl who wants to gently caress everybody. So it's an unpopular decision.

No but the problem is that they don't burn the city down if you do this which is what everyone wants to accomplish by siding with them.

e: and then she just magically escapes in an epilogue slide anyway because the writers won't suffer the player to interfere with their beloved creations.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Alain Post posted:

They published it. Actually the games Bethesda publish, with a few exceptions, tend to be much better than the games they actually develop.

I know I was just being a cheaky beaky with ya :parrot:

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Chomp8645 posted:

Skyrim: the game so good it had to be released twice.

Yeah the new release is certainly number two

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Alain Post posted:

Bethesda, creators of some of the most acclaimed, top selling, most played RPGs of all time, have never made a good game.

This is correct. I tried so hard to like both skyrim and fallout 3. But it's just not possible. The games are garbage, and if you like them you don't have bad taste, you're just Wrong.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
no yure wrong

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Skyrim is ok but flawed

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Zane posted:

DA2 has probably the best tactical combat

Enemies literally spawning in the air, falling to the ground, and Dwarf Coterie assassins who spawn while invisible, backstab you for massive damage, and then poof out again?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Also the combat systems, mechanics and encounter design are all garbage.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

exquisite tea posted:

The Arishok was the best part of Dragon Age 2 for sure. I was actually surprised when I saw that most people didn't just deliver Isabela to him and end the business, like jesus she was a huge irresponsible dumbass

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

Enemies literally spawning in the air, falling to the ground, and Dwarf Coterie assassins who spawn while invisible, backstab you for massive damage, and then poof out again?

Dan Didio posted:

Also the combat systems, mechanics and encounter design are all garbage.
Yes and these were all still miles better in da2 than da1 and especially da3 what can I tell you

Zane fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Nov 22, 2016

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
nah da1 had the cool dog

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Zane posted:

Yes and these were all still miles better in da2 than da1 and especially da3 what can I tell you

No, they weren't.

Origins is bugged, but it's a pretty sensible attempt at updating an older style of game for the current time period and it's all tied together with systems far more satisfying than 'Mash A to pretend this is an action game'.

Inquisition has interesting encounters in some spots and at least tries to build an interesting framework with what 2 tried and failed to do, as much as it's hamstrung, the moment to moment combat is still way more satisfying.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Moola posted:

nah da1 had the cool dog

This, also.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
DA2 also has a pretty cool dog that you can bring along all the time instead of having to use a party slot on him

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Alain Post posted:

Also the Mages turn bad even if you side with them, which I would actually be fine with, except that the way they turn bad if you side with them is so monumentally lazy and pointless.

LMAO I forgot about this. Yeah that was real bad. "Sorry, Lady Killseverything, we have no choice but to be demons now and also we're gonna just be more poo poo you kill in addition to our enemies which you are also killing."

My fav part was just siding with Anders outright after he does the 9/11 and the elf berserker dude loving off to join the other team, then when you meet him again he's like "Yeah I guess I'm over it" and switches back to Team Hawke in front of his new allies.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Andromeda needs a varren squadmate equipped with a rocket pack.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Trast posted:

Andromeda needs a varren squadmate equipped with a rocket pack.

Skip the rocket pack, make it a vanguard varren. It lives in your cabin with you and you can pet it.

It biotic charges onto your chest and licks you when you walk into the room. Squadmate of the year.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Dan Didio posted:

No, they weren't.

Origins is bugged, but it's a pretty sensible attempt at updating an older style of game for the current time period and it's all tied together with systems far more satisfying than 'Mash A to pretend this is an action game'.

Inquisition has interesting encounters in some spots and at least tries to build an interesting framework with what 2 tried and failed to do, as much as it's hamstrung, the moment to moment combat is still way more satisfying.
the da3 combat model just continued what the combat model for da2 was trying to do -- until it became more skyrim than baldurs gate. which was a good trade-off for you i guess? not a good trade-off for me. with the fun addition of a now non-functional tactical camera, a monotonous slog of an open world, crazy shenanigans with uneven terrain, and far far fewer uniquely tailored encounters. da1 was cool at the time when pillars of eternity wasn't even an idea but it had like four enemy types, a lot of extremely simplified mechanics, and long long dungeons, that made it often a lot more boring than bg1 from ten years earlier rofl

da2 was and is a weird action-strategy hybrid of an abortion of a thing but it was still more of a tactical rpg; its mechanics were at least vaguely more robust than its predecessor, with interesting and important stuff for warriors, rogues, and mages to do, and more varied enemy types; and the basic gameplay worked without taking up too much of your time

Zane fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Nov 21, 2016

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I could see someone who is playing on console maybe saying that DA2 had better combat than DA1 because without the isometric camera and a simple way to control multiple characters the combat in DA1 just doesn't work very well.

But if that is your opinion as a PC player then please get out and also purchase a one-way ticket to the moon or something.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Pattonesque posted:

DA2 also has a pretty cool dog that you can bring along all the time instead of having to use a party slot on him

this is worse because in 1 he would actually be in conversations and your party acknowledges him

Sten / dog interactions are the best

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2016/11/21/getting-to-know-the-tempest-mass-effects-new-normandy.aspx

Highlights include our pilot being a Salarian and possibly collecting rocks.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Blastedhellscape posted:

I really don’t think other games should try to completely imitate Alpha Protocol’s dialogue system because the manipulating-people-simulator thing specifically works for AP because it’s a spy story. It would totally work in a fantasy game where you’re in the thieves’ guild or whatnot, but not so much in a straight forward ‘You’re the Hero-Man!’ story.

On the flip side being consistent in Alpha Protocol is similarly amusing.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

uh, highlights include calibrating, who cares about rocks

quote:

...be doing things and interacting with the ship, because it’s a small crew and everybody has a job. So they need to be looking like they’re active. They may be doing things that draw you toward them, or they may be calibrating.”

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I hope the busy work one of the hot alien chicks on your crew is hula-hooping.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

if I can't collect fish and then kill the fish I will be very upset

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
The Ebon Hawk was basically as big as a hub needs to be. The Normandy roll-call wasted too much time.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Moola posted:

this is worse because in 1 he would actually be in conversations and your party acknowledges him

Sten / dog interactions are the best

I want a varren / krogan interaction like that.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Rinkles posted:

The Ebon Hawk was basically as big as a hub needs to be. The Normandy roll-call wasted too much time.

Much as I enjoyed the Normandy II, I kinda agree. Especially with the elevators, a whip-round with all your NPCs took way too long.

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.
I enjoyed DA2 because I played a sarcastic rear end in a top hat blood mage who cracked jokes as people tearfully told Hawke their problems. Hawke was also a horrible boss who sold out Isabella and Anders. I'm not sure why I decided to save her in DA3.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

So basically the Normandy, but with fewer loading screens and a nice view? I'm good with this.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Also no weapons, which is an interesting stylistic choice I actually really like.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Read this as "collecting cocks" at first and got excited

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

SgtSteel91 posted:

Highlights include our pilot being a Salarian and possibly collecting rocks.

Why would you make a guy who dies at age 40 the pilot on your 600-year voyage?

quote:

One of the most conspicuous objects in the galley is a holographic interface that allows Ryder to modify skill-point distribution, which is how you change your abilities between missions.

Huh. Guess they weren't kidding about being able to re-class.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Whatever happened to those tie in books? I've read one of Jemisin's previous books and found it pretty interesting and was actually kind of excited in spite of it being a video game book, but everything I can find just seems to be about the initial announcement and nothing else.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Whatever happened to those tie in books? I've read one of Jemisin's previous books and found it pretty interesting and was actually kind of excited in spite of it being a video game book, but everything I can find just seems to be about the initial announcement and nothing else.

Page 8 of this catalogue:

http://media.titanbooks.com/filebrowser/2016_rightsguide-frankfurt.pdf

First book is in March. Jemisin's book has been delayed until Autumn next year.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Hedrigall posted:

So ME:A comes out in four months, but Jemisin's book won't be out for another ten? Lame.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

Hedrigall posted:

I bet this means that ME:A will also be delayed.

Also, DA2 is a better game than Skyrim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

9-Volt Assault posted:

I bet this means that ME:A will also be delayed.

Also, DA2 is a better game than Skyrim.

I hope so. After what happened with DAII and ME3, they should give the team all the time they need.