Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Ships do look great but it kind of worries me they are basically a whole new game by themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Mr. Neutron posted:

Ships do look great but it kind of worries me they are basically a whole new game by themselves.

Yeah. If it is well designed (lol) then it should reward non-ship activities, while non-ship activities reward ship stuff. Get some good synergy going so it has a natural flow.

But it does look like they are just going to add the game on top of itself, but with space ships.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

I had to choose between having level 85s in time for Arena payout, and getting my first lovely gear box today (or third option, spend an extra 200 crystals). I went with the first option.

Also, don't upgrade anything for the next 48 hours...from EA_Jesse:

"Fleet Arena will not have the exact same leaderboards that Arena does. The players you face in Arena started playing the game at roughly the same time as you did, meaning there could be very large gaps in power. Fleet Arena leaderboards will be composed of players that are closer in power level to each other to create a more even playing field."

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Malgrin posted:

I had to choose between having level 85s in time for Arena payout, and getting my first lovely gear box today (or third option, spend an extra 200 crystals). I went with the first option.

Gear box? Do you get Gear Boxes at 85? Huh. Also, congrats!

Dr. Venture
Sep 26, 2011

EA_Jesse posted:

Fleet Arena will not have the exact same leaderboards that Arena does. The players you face in Arena started playing the game at roughly the same time as you did, meaning there could be very large gaps in power. Fleet Arena leaderboards will be composed of players that are closer in power level to each other to create a more even playing field.

Harder than arena :negative:

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

iGestalt posted:

Gear box? Do you get Gear Boxes at 85? Huh. Also, congrats!

Yeah, I was just trying to find out more info about it...I heard they kinda suck though

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Malgrin posted:

Yeah, I was just trying to find out more info about it...I heard they kinda suck though

No surprise. But extra gear is extra gear. I wonder how bad Fleet Arena will be..

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

iGestalt posted:

No surprise. But extra gear is extra gear. I wonder how bad Fleet Arena will be..

Very much favors the whales

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5GTUd3blAs

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Why do I still play this game.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Dr. Venture posted:

Harder than arena :negative:

I wonder how they'll actually do this. Grouping all the megawhales on the same server seems unlikely

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Davethulhu posted:

I wonder how they'll actually do this. Grouping all the megawhales on the same server seems unlikely

It sounds like they will group based on when you joined and your "power" rating. They haven't really explained what it means, could be aggregate, or top arena power, or top heroes' power. We don't really know.

What I do know is that similar games where the developer has pitted the whales against each other tend to collapse. Whales like to beat up on non-whales cause it makes them feel good and keeps them spending. If they're just competing against people that spend, they give up. Without F2P, the whales won't spend, and the game collapses. We will see what happens here...

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Malgrin posted:

It sounds like they will group based on when you joined and your "power" rating. They haven't really explained what it means, could be aggregate, or top arena power, or top heroes' power. We don't really know.

What I do know is that similar games where the developer has pitted the whales against each other tend to collapse. Whales like to beat up on non-whales cause it makes them feel good and keeps them spending. If they're just competing against people that spend, they give up. Without F2P, the whales won't spend, and the game collapses. We will see what happens here...

I'd hope they'd go the aggregate route rather than taking just 'Arena' rank / power. Unless there is a hidden "Total Account Power" which there could be, I don't see any other logical approach. But if they go aggregate then how do you ensure you don't end up with DoomWhale.

I'd be really curious to know how they intend to do this.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010
https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/77803/game-update-11-21-2016/p1?new=1

I'm hearing reports of update for Android, but I don't see it yet.

EA_Jesse posted:

BOBA FETT REWORK
Boba Fett returns as December’s daily login character! Thanks to player feedback, this legendary bounty hunter has undergone some changes to increase his effectiveness in hunting down and eliminating his targets
Boba Fett now starts each battle with "Bounty Hunter’s Resolve." This buff can't be dispelled, allows him to ignore Taunts, and causes him to revive upon defeat. He regains “Bounty Hunter’s Resolve" each time he defeats an enemy.
"Execute" is now a special ability that dispels all effects on the target and will prevent them from being revived.
In addition to upgrades to his existing skills, he's gained a new, often requested ability: He now fires his EE-3 Carbine Rifle!"

Hey, you know how that tournament last weekend made you all cry? Get ready for another:

EA_Jesse posted:

NEW SQUAD TOURNAMENT- TIE Advanced
A new squad tournament debuts next week! Battle against other Galactic Champions to earn blueprints needed to acquire Darth Vader's personal ship – the TIE Advanced x1! This tournament is for Players level 30 or above.

Malgrin fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Nov 22, 2016

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Wonder if its worth demodding my top heroes to lower my power score

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Malgrin posted:

Hey, you know how that tournament last weekend made you all cry? Get ready for another:

well poo poo

edit: some folks have been able to get the ship update, check your app store.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Ships update is up for me. So from what you're saying, Mal, we should wait to get into it to get a better group?

Never mind it's erroring out. That's fun.

MichiganCubbie fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Nov 22, 2016

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

MichiganCubbie posted:

Ships update is up for me. So from what you're saying, Mal, we should wait to get into it to get a better group?

Never mind it's erroring out. That's fun.

I would recommend waiting to update to get in a less insane grouping. I'm updating my emulator so I can test out my alt, but I'm waiting on my main until forced update (bad pubbies are going to be forced in game then), unless there's some really important reason not to wait.

Dr. Venture
Sep 26, 2011
Well poo poo, I didn't check here before updating. It didn't even occur to me that I might get put on a super whale shard.

The good news is I was able to faceroll my way to #1 ship master ultimate and cashed out some pretty nice prizes. :smugdog:

Karzon
Oct 15, 2002
That Boba Fett update has the potential to be pretty nice, if his damage ramps up a bit.

Boozie
Feb 2, 2013
So are a lot of you still waiting?

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Boozie posted:

So are a lot of you still waiting?

I'll probably do it tonight. Also, I think it puts you in a group as soon as you login post update.

Dr. Venture posted:

Well poo poo, I didn't check here before updating. It didn't even occur to me that I might get put on a super whale shard.

The good news is I was able to faceroll my way to #1 ship master ultimate and cashed out some pretty nice prizes. :smugdog:

Did you get ship arena payout tonight? You're Pacific time, right (6 PM)? What time was your ship payout? Any other details?

I got on mine. Payout was at 7PM (which sucks, that's 7PM or 8PM), I'll basically never be competing for top spots around then.

New advice: get on tonight at least an hour before your reset. There's a lot to do, including challenges. Much like regular challenges, you can do all of these on a Sunday.
I'm dumb it's not a Sunday. But they are all open today, and I don't think they'll be like that every day.

Malgrin fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Nov 22, 2016

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
The space battles are pretty fun!

Dr. Venture
Sep 26, 2011

Malgrin posted:

Did you get ship arena payout tonight? You're Pacific time, right (6 PM)? What time was your ship payout? Any other details?

I spawned in at #4 and did a single battle to nab #1. No one had leveled their ships yet so it was a piece of cake. My arena payout is at 5 PM (PST) and the ship payout was 6 PM.

e: Someone on my shard is already starting to whale, I got knocked down to #2 :smith:

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Dr. Venture posted:

I spawned in at #4 and did a single battle to nab #1. No one had leveled their ships yet so it was a piece of cake. My arena payout is at 5 PM (PST) and the ship payout was 6 PM.

e: Someone on my shard is already starting to whale, I got knocked down to #2 :smith:

holy poo poo I hate you. I spawned at #250. Easy battles, but I didn't even start in time for payout. Looks like a couple whales, but nothing too bad.

e: Re my post above, Monday is the new Sunday

Capital Ship Upgrades Admiral Ackbar: Appears Mon, Tues, and Fri
Capital Ship Upgrades: Mace Windu: Appears Mon, Wed, and Sat
Capital Ship Upgrades: Grand Moff Tarkin: Appears Mon, Thur, and Sun
Ship Resource Challenges: Earn resources needed for Ships
Ship Building Materials: Appears Mon, Tues, and Fri
Ship Enhancement Droids: Appears Mon, Wed, and Sat
Ship Ability Materials: Appears Mon, Thur, and Sun

Malgrin fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Nov 22, 2016

xyigx
Nov 6, 2012

Malgrin posted:

holy poo poo I hate you. I spawned at #250. Easy battles, but I didn't even start in time for payout. Looks like a couple whales, but nothing too bad.

e: Re my post above, Monday is the new Sunday

Capital Ship Upgrades Admiral Ackbar: Appears Mon, Tues, and Fri
Capital Ship Upgrades: Mace Windu: Appears Mon, Wed, and Sat
Capital Ship Upgrades: Grand Moff Tarkin: Appears Mon, Thur, and Sun
Ship Resource Challenges: Earn resources needed for Ships
Ship Building Materials: Appears Mon, Tues, and Fri
Ship Enhancement Droids: Appears Mon, Wed, and Sat
Ship Ability Materials: Appears Mon, Thur, and Sun

Spawned in at #10th and took first, that's probably the only first I will get so it's ok.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
All this new grinding might get me to stop playing. Neat enough concept, but all these extra activities just to keep my head head above water seems like too much.

Dr. Venture
Sep 26, 2011

WerrWaaa posted:

All this new grinding might get me to stop playing. Neat enough concept, but all these extra activities just to keep my head head above water seems like too much.

It's actually not as overwhelming as I thought it would be. After you finish doing the tutorial there isn't much left to do. Level some ships and their abilities, do a couple ship PvP battles, SIM some challenges and you're done!

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound
*sadly refreshes the app store again*

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Woo, it's rolled out for me. Gonna regret this but I want to see the spaceships. The rewards for this intro are fantastic.

Also, wow. Boba Fett's rework looks great. That'd make him a pretty good counter to Shore Trooper, no?

iGestalt fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Nov 22, 2016

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

iGestalt posted:

Also, wow. Boba Fett's rework looks great. That'd make him a pretty good counter to Shore Trooper, no?

Yeah, that's pretty much how they do it now. Next new character will have a taunt that cannot be ignored, just you wait :)

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Mr. Neutron posted:

Yeah, that's pretty much how their work now. Next new character will have a taunt that cannot be ignored, just you wait :)

I hope it's a Gonk droid. Just a Gonk droid that has immense HP and an eternal taunt. No other abilities.

So, I know Level and Gear contribute to Spaceship stats (My Geno is so strong atm). Do Mods?

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

WerrWaaa posted:

It's not too obvious at first but ships have their own currency, ability materials and training droids and their arena does not award crystals.

You could probably ignore them and do just fine in the rest of the game which takes a lot of the pressure off.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Why is this a thing.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.
It's a drawback. The ship is supposed to be extra good to compensate, no idea if that's true though.

xyigx
Nov 6, 2012

iGestalt posted:

Why is this a thing.

Because CG are masters of balance.

Also from initial ship arena runs everyone is just pumping geo solidat and the capital ship levels and ignoring everything else, sadly this seems like a working strat so yeah CG balance in action.

two_step
Sep 2, 2011
Or you could do what this guy did:

I am scared to see what the top 3 guys on my shard have now

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

two_step posted:

Or you could do what this guy did:

I am scared to see what the top 3 guys on my shard have now

I dread to think how much money they spent.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

For the past week this guy keeps climbing to the top spots in my arena shard and I just don't understand how he can beat the wiggs/lando/shoretrooper/sun fac/JKA/etc teams with the team he's running. He's basically a free kill when I'm attacking. He has 2 reses so I guess he circumvents Wiggs' free kill that way, and 2 taunt removals, but his chars barely do any damage and are super vulnerable to Lando despite stealth.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Boba Fett is actually a counter to Royal Guard.

Now you can bring low some bitch with Rey or some other Heavy hitter and still be able to finish him off with Boba.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Vodos posted:

For the past week this guy keeps climbing to the top spots in my arena shard and I just don't understand how he can beat the wiggs/lando/shoretrooper/sun fac/JKA/etc teams with the team he's running. He's basically a free kill when I'm attacking. He has 2 reses so I guess he circumvents Wiggs' free kill that way, and 2 taunt removals, but his chars barely do any damage and are super vulnerable to Lando despite stealth.

Easy, he can game himself to wins against Meta Squads and he spends more crystals on PVP refreshes than the people around him.