Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

caps on caps on caps posted:

Where do Venezuelans now flee to mostly? Can you get living permissions in Europe or do you need to take asylum? In general it is drat hard to get residence in EU and USA as well. I suppose refugee status is always possible, but the issue then is that it may be a one time try.

I have friends and relatives in every continent including Africa, there really isn't a place without a bunch of Venezuelans now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

But for example to come to Europe, you should have a job lined up and a university degree or marry a EU citizen for them to let you in. That's pretty much the only option because if you come with Tourist Visa you will have to leave again and if you don't you might get a travel ban for all of EU for possibly several years. I mean at least this is the experience I have (although to be faire those were dirty Muslims and not Latinos, maybe it's different?). I understand the issue of just wanting to leave a lovely country really well, but I always found it to be really difficult to come to the EU. In this thread, it seems like tons of people just book an airplane ticket and are good to go?

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Lots of people do that but they get sent back or return themselves after they begin starving, everyone I know has gone legitimately either by getting a job offer or by getting married to someone from that country or by requesting asylum.

I wish I could get at least a job offer because the only reason I haven't left is because I don't want to be an illegal and requesting asylum isn't a sure thing anyway and you can't work while that poo poo gets processed either...

manchego
Feb 16, 2007

MEANWHILE,

El Hefe posted:

Lots of people do that but they get sent back or return themselves after they begin starving, everyone I know has gone legitimately either by getting a job offer or by getting married to someone from that country or by requesting asylum.

I wish I could get at least a job offer because the only reason I haven't left is because I don't want to be an illegal and requesting asylum isn't a sure thing anyway and you can't work while that poo poo gets processed either...

hefe do you have PMs? what industry/work are you in?

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

manchego posted:

hefe do you have PMs? what industry/work are you in?

No PMs, I work in private security tho.

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial

caps on caps on caps posted:

I understand the issue of just wanting to leave a lovely country really well, but I always found it to be really difficult to come to the EU. In this thread, it seems like tons of people just book an airplane ticket and are good to go?
No, I think you've got that right. Legal migration to the EU/North America is really difficult. I know of at least one Venegoon in this thread who got to Europe because they were able to get a member nation passport via their parents' citizenship, and then found a way to enter a university through some kind of specialized program.

My family immigrated to Canada in 1997. The total elapsed time from the moment my parents applied to immigrate to the moment we landed in Toronto was 2 years. A friend of mine recently immigrated to Canada as well, and it took her two years as well. The Canadian immigration system changed recently, but the old and new systems both required the migrant to be either a skilled worker and/or really wealthy, so it's never been easy to come here.

I'm also sure that there are tons of illegal migrants out there (people who overstayed tourist/student visas), but I'd imagine that they're not likely to talk much about that even if they are posting in this thread.

As for migration to other Latin American countries: there was a small demonstration in Panama this past week against Venezuelan migrants in the country. Apparently there are loads of Venezuelans in Panama now, and I guess some people aren't taking too kindly to that.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

Chuck Boone posted:

As for migration to other Latin American countries: there was a small demonstration in Panama this past week against Venezuelan migrants in the country. Apparently there are loads of Venezuelans in Panama now, and I guess some people aren't taking too kindly to that.

Problem is a lot of "tukis" as they are affectionately called here have emigrated illegally and they give well meaning Venezuelans a bad name and they get up to all sorts of criminal poo poo.

Plus some people are just cunts and don't realize that talking poo poo about their adoptive country is going to upset the locals...

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
I actually know someone who was offered a really well paying job in Guatemala and he doesn't wanna go because when he was there he says the women were too ugly and Guatemala City just had the feel of a big small town and wasn't developed enough for his tastes...

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'm not aware of any big Venezuelan community here in Belgium, though there must be some.

The problem for Venezuela is that it's a brain drain, of course. If all the people with money and/or a decent education leave, that's bound to have a negative impact.

Age of the Atomic Mom
Oct 15, 2009

I thought I'd give an update on my friends' situation. Some bad things happened which became some arguably good things. Because he's an emotional idiot, he told his abusive mom he was no longer going to attend classes and move out of the country without her help. Because she is an emotional idiot she immediately kicked him out of the house, took his passport and tourist visa to the States, and told him all kinds of awful, horribly, emotionally unstable poo poo. I never loved you, you're pathetic, you'll never make it in life, etc. He's heard this all his life but for the first time ever he was trying to stand up to her for his own sake and do something with his life. His grandparents on his dead dad's side took him in...but then immediately considered kicking him out. Because his mom kept calling and shouting at them to throw him out too, saying who knows what to convince them. While my friend panicked I started coordinating a plan with his other best friend about "How the gently caress can we get him out of the country ASAP."

But a miracle happened. His step-dad, a man who beat him and his mom often, who says pretty much the exact same horrible poo poo to him as his mom only less often, called him. He sympathized with him for the first time in his life. I guess they've always shared a bond about dealing with a crazy woman they never acknowledged. He said that he supported his idea to leave the country on his own. And that he would help. He stole the documents from the mom, had their son bring them to my friend. But then he said that he had a brother who lives in Montreal, Canada. Owns a business there and does well for himself. He would do everything in his power to get him a work visa through him at his company. After that my friend would be on his own. But holy poo poo it's beyond a miracle as we were talking about him coming to Toronto to study (his goal anyways) and begin the life of accruing international student loans. Instead this could be something much easier and safer for him to legally enter and legally stay for good.

That said, his step-dad said not to expect this anytime soon and my friend is still convinced if he doesn't leave ASAP he never will. His other best friend, a girl in Cleveland, asked her mom, a woman who owns a large business, if they could take him. She agreed and said she'd give him a job too in the meantime. It's my responsibility to pay for his flight now since he has $0 to his name. Which while I can't afford it I can pay it on credit. My family runs a travel agency here in Toronto so I'll be able to pay the bare minimum of a flight. It's probably a terrible idea to go to the States on a tourist visa (6 months) and then try to apply for a work visa (or if the step-dad turns out to be full of poo poo, student visa) for Canada. But we're all still urging him to go as we all know poo poo looks worse every week in the country and who knows if things will fall to poo poo or not at any moment really.

And now for the most hosed up but hilarious part of our Venezuelan family drama. The step-dad calmed the mom down enough that she is realizing my friend is in-fact going to make this happen. So she said she wanted to see him off...by flying to Cleveland with him. She's going to pay for herself to stay 3 nights there, the first time she will have ever left the country. She's rich as gently caress and said she might bring her lover along. Yup she's having an affair and she wants to pay for them both, But not my best friend. Nope. He has to find his own way there. loving rear end in a top hat.

I know this is just family drama poo poo that doesn't have to do with the country as a whole. But it's incredible that poo poo like this can still go on while society is crumbling. My friend eats once a day not because they can't afford it but because his mom refuses to buy food for him or his brother. Again, just a vent I needed to get out there but drat. I'm talking to his other friends he cares about who aren't as well off about their options for coming to Canada and any way I could help make that easier for them by finding info or whatever. Everyone is desperate to get out of the country and if by the end of January I've gotten my best friend out I'll finally feel relief over the anxiousness I've felt for years thinking he was going to get killed or kidnapped any day he went to school in Caracas.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Didn't you say you met this guy online, and have never met him in person? Because this sounds exactly like Venezuelans have caught onto those Nigerian confidence scams, where they go on for two years pretending to be your friend before asking for money. (http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-37632259) Of course, real lovely stories like that do happen too, but this sounds like a great prelude into "hey send me $4000 for my flight and first month's rent"

E: Never mind, found your old post. I thought you said "a couple years" but actually you said 7 years. That'd be a long drat time to run a confidence scam. Your post above just threw off all sorts of *~*~*SCAM COMING~*~*~ alarm flags. His story REALLY sounds exactly like something imagined by someone who watches way too many telenovelas. Like, how did the step father ex-husband of his mom get in and steal back his passport from his mom? Just make sure you buy his ticket directly and you're not sending him the cash or whatever.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Nov 21, 2016

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I really hope all of this is not true and said poster is just a giant dumb gooony goon goon.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

El Hefe posted:

No PMs, I work in private security tho.

Can you not get a job doing that in like Iraqi Kurdistan or Nigeria? You might be able to go to even worse hellholes than the one you're currently in, but at least they'd pay you ~1000x as much.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

fnox posted:

3 armed men tried to kidnap my parents yesterday. I found out today through a Whatsapp message since I'm safe and sound a continent away; had they been killed right there, I would have been the last to know about it. What a loving disgrace of a country.

Man I'm glad they are ok. This is my biggest fear, that my mom will get shot or kidnapped and I won't find out in weeks.

Age of the Atomic Mom
Oct 15, 2009

caberham posted:

I really hope all of this is not true and said poster is just a giant dumb gooony goon goon.

I wish.

I remember four years ago when I was trying to convince him to leave that his mom said I was the nigerian scammer trying to ruin his life. At that point I had secured him a job teaching English to kids for a year in Caracas, he helped me meet a bunch of Latino friends here and in New York I've met many times, and he's probably the only reason I went to get mental health help because I was a stupid "I can do anything, don't need that poo poo" fucker. I've been on the phone with him while gaming or talking for so long that I didn't need him to tell me half that poo poo about his family since I could hear the screaming coming through. It absolutely is the most dramatic stupid family poo poo there is. Which is made worse by the fact that Venezuela is not in a place right now to be able to help people going through that poo poo. The women's shelters (he's trans) in the country are a mess. Last I saw there was only 1 in Caracas and there is so much demand that they wait list people for a year.

I always keep in mind that the perspective I get for Venezuela is always that of people who are better off there. My friends' family is rich. He got a 1kg tin of creamer as a gift from his grandmother a month ago. While he was ecstatic and I was happy for him all I can think really is "gently caress, is it even possible for middle/lower class people there to even get creamer anymore?" Like, what are the luxuries we enjoy that people outside of Caracas have basically not known for the last 5-10 years that don't even register as a luxury. Clinics and hospitals are in shambles so much that having sterilization days is seen as a normal, good thing, that get advertised on the radio. Do people in Bolivar or Maracaibo have access to the same things? I doubt it. Better to not think about it or get horribly depressed about the poo poo that happens in poorer places outside of Caracas. Except ignoring it is arguably worse than drawing attention to it.

Basically gently caress Maduro, gently caress MUD for being useless, etc etc

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

Saladman posted:

Can you not get a job doing that in like Iraqi Kurdistan or Nigeria? You might be able to go to even worse hellholes than the one you're currently in, but at least they'd pay you ~1000x as much.

I've gotten comfortable here since I have a bunch of people working for me, setting up in another country would be kinda difficult without contacts, in this industry you need military/police contacts if you want to start building your own thing otherwise it's pretty much impossible and I'm sure it's the same in every country.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
The National Guard detained a kid for stealing 5 pumpkins lol

can't believe they even took a picture like they just arrested El Chapo

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014
Nice following the four rules of gun safety guy on the right. Keep your finger OFF the trigger, dumbass! Oh and why are your weapons held SIDEWAYS?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
The Pumpkins of the revolution are safe

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

El Hefe posted:

The National Guard detained a kid for stealing 5 pumpkins lol

can't believe they even took a picture like they just arrested El Chapo

It's like one of those pictures where you have the suspect standing near pallets of money. Except it's pumpkins.

Then again five pumpkins might be worth a few pallets of BS.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Venezuela has been kicked out of MERCOSUR starting December 1st.

Labradoodle
Nov 24, 2011

Crax daubentoni
Well, there go the Argentina plans I guess. I was expectant to see what would happen since they mentioned the possibility a couple of months back, but we all knew it was going to go down sooner or later. I should still have enough savings to leave next year – maybe I'll do the whole digital nomad thing while I find a nice place to settle down.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
Wall Street Journal did an interesting profile piece on the guy behind blackmarket currency site Dolar Today. As you probably guessed, he is a salesman at an Alabama Homedepot.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/venezuelas-nemesis-is-a-screw-salesman-at-a-home-depot-in-alabama-1479672919

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Article is subscribers only.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Labradoodle posted:

Well, there go the Argentina plans I guess. I was expectant to see what would happen since they mentioned the possibility a couple of months back, but we all knew it was going to go down sooner or later. I should still have enough savings to leave next year – maybe I'll do the whole digital nomad thing while I find a nice place to settle down.

I don't think you should have any major issues? It's still very easy to come and live in Argentina. There are a lot of non-MERCOSUR Latin American immigrants. The law is very accommodating to foreigners (a good thing).

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

I dont know posted:

Wall Street Journal did an interesting profile piece on the guy behind blackmarket currency site Dolar Today. As you probably guessed, he is a salesman at an Alabama Homedepot.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/venezuelas-nemesis-is-a-screw-salesman-at-a-home-depot-in-alabama-1479672919

The idea that a simple guy with a day job at a hardware store could be so influential in Venezuela simply by running a website is amazing.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

El Hefe posted:

Venezuela has been kicked out of MERCOSUR starting December 1st.

There goes my plans to move to Argentina so I don't have to speak English forever.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
Where are you seeing this? Maybe I've just not been paying attention to the right things but:

1) I haven't seen any reputable source or mainstream newspaper report on anything more than discussion
2) Even if Venezuela was kicked out of MERCOSUR from one day to another it is still very easy to move to Argentina as a Latin American, and, if that was your plan, you should not let that dissuade you.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

Where are you seeing this? Maybe I've just not been paying attention to the right things but:

1) I haven't seen any reputable source or mainstream newspaper report on anything more than discussion
2) Even if Venezuela was kicked out of MERCOSUR from one day to another it is still very easy to move to Argentina as a Latin American, and, if that was your plan, you should not let that dissuade you.

I looked around and this is what I found:
http://oglobo.globo.com/economia/venezuela-pode-perder-direito-voto-no-mercosul-diz-presidente-do-uruguai-20511405
http://www.onlinepublishingcompany.info/content/read_more/complexInfobox/site_news/infobox/elements/template/default/active_id/17467

Not much but maybe someone should check twitter o something?

Pity Party Animal
Jul 23, 2006
For gently caress sake, if you want the best news from a country, maybe try news sources from that part of the world? Damnit goons.

http://www.lanacion.com.py/2016/11/22/venezuela-va-hacia-la-suspension-mercosur-al-no-cumplir-requisitos/

Venezuela is not in compliance with the Treaty of Ascension and thus in jeopardy of losing its vote in the bloc (if corrupt idiots can't prevent it somehow).

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial
The talk of Venezuela getting kicked out of Mercosur as a member state has been around for a few weeks. I can't remember exactly when Mercosur gave Venezuela the December 1 ultimatum, but it was probably in late September/early October.

Yesterday, Paraguayan Foreign Affairs Minister Eladio Loizaga reminded everyone that December 1 is coming up, and that since Venezuela hasn't complied with the ultimatum (as PPA said, lining up with the treaty of ascension), then it will be suspended from the organization starting that day. Venezuela will remain suspended from Mercosur until it finds itself in compliance with the treaty, which involves meeting 112 resolutions that the country says it cannot meet because the resolutions run contrary to its own internal legislation.

If you haven't been following the Mercosur drama, it all kicked off around July 29 of this year. The presidency of Mercosur goes to each one of its member states on a 6-month rotation based on alphabetical order. Uruguay held the post until the 29th, so Venezuela said that it was next. It was then that the other member nations said, "Whoa! Hold on, let's think twice about this..." and the talk of suspending Venezuela began. I don't know what behind-the-scenes diplomatic dance triggered the Mercosur crisis, but this was all happening at around the same time that the OAS was talking about invoking the democratic charter against Venezuela.

In any case, Venezuela assumed the presidency and did what it does best: plugged its ears and started yelling "We are the president! We are the president! We can't hear you!" while the other nation states protested. This all culminated in the ultimatum of a few weeks ago, when Mercosur pointed out that Venezuela had not met all of its obligations as a member state and would therefore be suspended.

I don't know what the real-life implications of the suspension are, but it's worth noting that this is indeed a suspension, leaving the door open for Venezuela's re-integration into the organization were it to meet its obligations under the treaty of ascension. Of course that is probably not going to happen because according to Venezuela this is part of the global conspiracy against it and nothing it ever does is wrong and anyone who says otherwise is a US agent.

EDIT: I wasn't too far off. This is what Maduro said about getting suspended from Mercosur during La Hora de la Salsa [The Salsa Hour], a daily radio show he frequents:

quote:

If they kick us out the front door we'll come in through the widow.

Venezuela: the annoying drunk guest that ruins your party and refuses to leave.

Chuck Boone fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Nov 22, 2016

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Wow, so some guy in an Alabama Home Depot could have a nontrivial impact on your economy if he just decided he was tired of running his website and quit one day.

Better nothing heavy falls on him!

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Pity Party Animal posted:

For gently caress sake, if you want the best news from a country, maybe try news sources from that part of the world? Damnit goons.

http://www.lanacion.com.py/2016/11/22/venezuela-va-hacia-la-suspension-mercosur-al-no-cumplir-requisitos/

Venezuela is not in compliance with the Treaty of Ascension and thus in jeopardy of losing its vote in the bloc (if corrupt idiots can't prevent it somehow).

So as noted above there actually isn't more than just talk on it being reported at the moment. Good to hear what the Paraguayan foreign minister has to say about it but anything major happening in MERCOSUR will be decided between the Brazilian and Argentine governments behind closed doors. Also forgive me being suspicious but Venezuela should have been suspended from MERCOSUR, UNASUR, and the OEA about 5 times each. So jumping the gun Venezuela's suspension (not expulsion, which would probably affect things like emigration questions) is a very real prospect.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Went to a few supermarkets today and couldn't find pasta, rice or any sort of flour.

Great if you want to start a low carb diet...

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I get hungry when I read this thread....

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
The most depressing thing is when you look at other people's carts in the supermarket and they're only carrying 4-5 items because that's all they can afford.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Yeah, I'm sending my mom some stuff tomorrow from a courier service here in Madrid. If someone is in Caracas I could maybe send them 1kg of rice or something. Probably better if you need an over the counter medicine I can get today.

My mom works near the andres Bello and lives near pdvsa la campiña. If any of you caraqueños need an over the counter stuff I could try and get it for you (can't promise it, but I'll try) and you pick them out from my mom's in a month or so. Please don't kidnap her though.

fnox
May 19, 2013

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Yeah, I'm sending my mom some stuff tomorrow from a courier service here in Madrid. If someone is in Caracas I could maybe send them 1kg of rice or something. Probably better if you need an over the counter medicine I can get today.

My mom works near the andres Bello and lives near pdvsa la campiña. If any of you caraqueños need an over the counter stuff I could try and get it for you (can't promise it, but I'll try) and you pick them out from my mom's in a month or so. Please don't kidnap her though.

If you can somehow get your hands on Betaloc zok for my dad, that'd be brilliant. I'm not sure if that's over the counter, though.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

fnox posted:

If you can somehow get your hands on Betaloc zok for my dad, that'd be brilliant. I'm not sure if that's over the counter, though.

I'll pass by the pharmacy right now mi pana, if I can, I'll get some.

Edit: no luck, no such thing in my pharmacy, sorry :smith:

Hugoon Chavez fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Nov 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

manchego
Feb 16, 2007

MEANWHILE,
is poo poo able to get through via the mail?

last few times we sent packages (stuff for cousin's baby, nothing super exciting) packages got opened and stuff stolen out of it.