Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Bip Roberts posted:

It will stop a very select kind of border crossing before it's tunneled under and to little or nothing for stemming undocumented immigrates overall.

The best part about it is that it will most likely stop the least harmful border crossings: people looking for economic salvation. The actual criminals won't have a single loving problem getting through it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

Rexicon1 posted:

This is also acceptable as I have craved death for years now.

I crave fast food. Same difference I guess.

But seriously, The best has yet to come. please do not die.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

thechosenone posted:

I crave fast food. Same difference I guess.

But seriously, The best has yet to come. please do not die.

You're a sweetheart

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

Rexicon1 posted:

The best part about it is that it will most likely stop the least harmful border crossings: people looking for economic salvation. The actual criminals won't have a single loving problem getting through it.

Ultimately they will just use the alternate methods. This is why a detection system would probably work better.

we can spread eyes faster than walls. can sense underground movement and illegal sea crossing and what not.

Not really that important though.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Mantis42 posted:

The Wall actually will be built and will probably do an okay job of stopping border crossings, please do not take John Oliver's stupid bit seriously. You should probably worry about literally any of Trump's other policies which will be a thousand times worst than his stupid vanity project.

Why will the wall be better than the fence they already have? Realize catapults and ramps are already used to get over the border fence.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me

boner confessor posted:

just want to quote this for when i get accused of disrespecting the military, here's a dude from the military disrespecting the majority of the military

most people who served never saw combat, sorry if that doesn't fit your mental model of your fellow vets or whatever

Um.....I was in the military from 03 to 09. The vast majority of the hundreds of soldiers I served with were combat veterans,many with multiple deployments, don't be obtuse.

Also, I'm a girl, not a guy.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

boner confessor posted:

just want to quote this for when i get accused of disrespecting the military, here's a dude from the military disrespecting the majority of the military

most people who served never saw combat, sorry if that doesn't fit your mental model of your fellow vets or whatever

And what I said is that the majority of enlistees after 9/11 are combat vets, if you aren't by this time, everyone else in the army/marines are going to look down on you, fact.

Do you have any military service?

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Rexicon1 posted:

The drat cartels have loving submarines so unless we set up a net as well we ain't stopping poo poo.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Thalantos posted:

Um.....I was in the military from 03 to 09. The vast majority of the hundreds of soldiers I served with were combat veterans,many with multiple deployments, don't be obtuse.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selective_perception

Thalantos posted:

Do you have any military service?

no, i worked for a living

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

Thalantos posted:

He was probably talking about support personnel, of which I have heard there are a lot of in order to make sure things go well for those who have to go into combat. Either way, combat or not, everyone who works in the military deserves a fair shake like everyone else. They are all close to our hearts, what with many of them being family.

Although I'm sure plenty of folks who could be in the line of fire are lucky enough not to see any. Doesn't say anything about their character. Just means they are fortunate. No one should want to see combat.

They want to see cheezeburger stands. and stuff like that.

thechosenone fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Nov 22, 2016

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Hey, the Berlin wall worked so our wall is going to work too because we're America and we can build a wall better than those Krauts.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Trabisnikof posted:

Why will the wall be better than the fence they already have? Realize catapults and ramps are already used to get over the border fence.

hello, the wall is gonna be golden and is gonna be engraved with the words "TRUMP", these mexican terrorists are gonna flee when they see it :rolleyes:

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

comingafteryouall posted:

Hey, the Berlin wall worked so our wall is going to work too because we're America and we can build a wall better than those Krauts.

But the soviets built the wall....

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

But the soviets built the wall....

Then we're definitely better than those loving pinko commie bastards :argh:

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

the m240 GANGSTER is a pretty sick weapon tbh

the mk 19 is more my poo poo tho

I do love the mk 19. :)

Was supposed top have a infantry dude attached my team to man it, but.. we didn't get one, so since I was the FNG.....I even got to fire it once before we went outside the wire!(there's that high quality army training.....)

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

From what I heard form my dad, the military was a whole lot of work.

Maybe some of it isn't necessary, but I don't think that makes it not work.

The grass is always greener on the other side, ya know?

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

It was also like three or four walls in tandem. Complete with barbed wire and spike traps. So...

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

thechosenone posted:

From what I heard form my dad, the military was a whole lot of work.

Maybe some of it isn't necessary, but I don't think that makes it not work.

so is assembling the world's largest transformers collection but that's not any more useful for society than shooting at third world farmers who can't shoot back

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

citybeatnik posted:

The drat cartels have loving submarines so unless we set up a net as well we ain't stopping poo poo.

I have to imagine Cartels are investing heavily in drones too.

Have a fleet of drones dropping off small quantities (5-10 kilo) at random spots in the desert. Have "Hikers" pick them up the next day.

Its like geocaching. But with drugs.

Or do what they've been doing for 30 years. Load the poo poo up by the pallet and ship it on a common carrier. Or ship it in by the container.

Only a small fraction of inbound cargo gets searched.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

boner confessor posted:

so is assembling the world's largest transformers collection but that's not any more useful for society than shooting at third world farmers who can't shoot back

I imagine they didn't do that as much as they got into actual fire fights. Not saying it doesn't happen, just that it doesn't happen as often as you might think compared to actually getting shot.

And my point is that work is work, and you don't enjoy work.

Assembling a huge collection of things you like is not work, its a hobby.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013

Sorry, but the Greatest Wall will always be the one in China. When your wall lasts multiple millennia, then you can talk about how great that wall is. (Walls are worthless, never stopped an invader that wanted to get in in all of history)

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
https://twitter.com/EricLiptonNYT/status/800874626251390976

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

jwang posted:

Sorry, but the Greatest Wall will always be the one in China. When your wall lasts multiple millennium, then you can talk about how great that wall is. (Walls are worthless, never stopped an invader that wanted to get in in all of history)

I could see a wall working if it encouraged your opponent to do something disadvantageous to them. Though I figure there are easier ways to do that.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Thalantos posted:

I do love the mk 19. :)

Was supposed top have a infantry dude attached my team to man it, but.. we didn't get one, so since I was the FNG.....I even got to fire it once before we went outside the wire!(there's that high quality army training.....)

Thank god for Marine Combat Training ;)

I served with the army while I was in AZ doing UAV work and surprisingly made a lot of good friends with soldiers. One thing I noticed was the USMC is wayyyy stricter and and authoritarian than the army.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

I don't get it. The wind mills could probably coexist with a golf course if you set it up right. Why fight against it when you could just make it conform to your desires? don't put them on the course. If they fly out too far and hit a windmill, they were probably a loss anyway, that is why you bring lots of golfballs.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Xae posted:

I have to imagine Cartels are investing heavily in drones too.

Have a fleet of drones dropping off small quantities (5-10 kilo) at random spots in the desert. Have "Hikers" pick them up the next day.

Its like geocaching. But with drugs.

Or do what they've been doing for 30 years. Load the poo poo up by the pallet and ship it on a common carrier. Or ship it in by the container.

Only a small fraction of inbound cargo gets searched.

Yea they are, they're even using some of our own :ssh:

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

Thank god for Marine Combat Training ;)

I served with the army while I was in AZ doing UAV work and surprisingly made a lot of good friends with soldiers. One thing I noticed was the USMC is wayyyy stricter and and authoritarian than the army.

My dad was in the Navy. I didn't hear much about the marines, just that they and the sailors didn't really interact much. I figure they probably talked with each other plenty, and it's nothing that some cooperation meeting or events wouldn't fix eventually. Everyone enjoys fun.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

thechosenone posted:

I don't get it. The wind mills could probably coexist with a golf course if you set it up right. Why fight against it when you could just make it conform to your desires? don't put them on the course. If they fly out too far and hit a windmill, they were probably a loss anyway, that is why you bring lots of golfballs.

He doesn't want them off the course, he wants them not visible from the course.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Why are so many Goons just operating under the assumption that we're going to have 8 years of Trump? I mean talk about a loving self defeating attitude.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

boner confessor posted:

no, i worked for a living

Are you saying the important humanitarian work our armed forces do aren't work? The Haiti earthquake? The tsunamis in SE Asia?

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

I can't wait until he spends the first 45 minutes of the state of the union shilling timeshares and Trump vodka.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Why are so many Goons just operating under the assumption that we're going to have 8 years of Trump? I mean talk about a loving self defeating attitude.

4 years aint enough time to mount a defense against an incumbent president. We still can't even decide if we want to change our messaging (we should) or continue telling working class folks that their jobs are gone and they should die quietly.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Are you saying the important humanitarian work our armed forces do aren't work? The Haiti earthquake? The tsunamis in SE Asia?

not combat deployments so not real military according to thalantos

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

haveblue posted:

He doesn't want them off the course, he wants them not visible from the course.

Couldn't they make them visually appealing? I bet they could do that. Like, they could even put Gold colored T's on them. or make them multicolored. There are so many potentially ways to make them visually appealing.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I seem to recall reading that Dick Cheney had his own situation room built at Number One Observatory Circle, but can't seem to find anything to corroborate it now. Did I dream this?

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

boner confessor posted:

I don't think Thalantos would agree with that. Everyone in the military is a part of the military.

Shagman
Oct 25, 2007

Blood for the Blood Puddle!
Skulls for the Skull Pile!
Full article about Richard Spencer's NPI conference Nazi salutes: http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/11/richard-spencer-speech-npi/508379/

I can’t overstate how incredibly damaging this video is. This is a complete failure on their part and their leaders are livid right now.
I especially love the crowd; you could just sneak up on these people and yell “Sieg Heil” and their arm will be up before they even realise.

This is a watershed moment.
The alt-right does not openly associate themselves with Nazism because they know how bad it looks. People like Spencer don’t call people "kike" and when they approach the "Jewish Question" they do so carefully.
Sure, there’s also the Daily Stormer and The Right Stuff who will gladly call themselves Nazis, but the rest of the alt-right publicly dismisses them as "LARPers"; a bunch of cooks who "discredit White identity via guilt by association".
Such a dismissal can be found on Breitbart in Milo's seminal essay An establishment guide to the alt-right.

In Richard Spencer’s AMA on the altright subreddit, he wrote

Richard Spencer posted:

I must be honest. I don't think directly associating ourselves with movements of the past like Nazism is the best way to go about changing the culture. We need to be a new cultural movement, one that can appeal to the best of the normies.

That said, we can disagree on strategy. If someone cares about the future of our race and civilization, then I am not his enemy.
and

Richard Spencer posted:

2/ Again, "neo-Nazis," in the sense of people who are stuck in the 1930s, are really a non-starter. We need new movements. Could you imagine leftists calling themselves "Stalinists," or embracing the iconography and uniforms of the Soviet Union? Historical reenactment is not a good politics.

And then he just goes "Hail Trump! Hail Our People! Hail Victory!" (did you know that "Hail Victory" in German is said “Sieg Heil”?).
Incomprehensible…
Did he just get caught in the heat of the moment?
Sure, the press wasn’t supposed to be there still, but they themselves were livestreaming it. It’s on their freaking youtube (no view of the salutes in the crowd though)...

Their entire movement is affected because Spencer is the one who coined and popularised the term “alt-right”.
This is going to be to goto video to discredit them for years to come. No need to link ADL or SPLC articles, or argue about the not so subtle connections with the LARPers.
BAM! A 10 seconds video and years of their work to present themselves as “respectable” are wiped out.

I am really giddy about this. Really great journalistic work by the Atlantic.
No need to restrain ourselves from calling Steve Bannon a Nazi now. He brought it on himself.

It especially warms my heart to think of Peter Brimelow of VDare, who spoke at the conference. He has always described VDare as a totally legitimate website that happens to focus on immigration issues and we're totally not White Nationalists or anything I swear, well ok maybe we have a White Nationalist article once in a while but we print lots of different views so it doesn't mean anything…
Brimelow says this stuff literally every time anybody tries to associate VDare with the alt-right and it’s the most infuriating thing… In fact I skimmed over the 10 hours video of the conference and there he was saying exactly that again.
Anyways, he’s not happy: Juvenile Bravado Undercuts NPI Conference Triumph, And VDARE.com

Peter Brimelow posted:

VDARE.com readers came up to me in consternation at the end of the National Policy Institute’s very well-attended conference in Washington DC when Richard B. Spencer concluded his emotional defense of whites with the words, apparently extemporized “Hail Trump! Hail Our People! Hail Victory!” He got a standing ovation, but several in the crowd added Nazi salutes. We had been assured that the press had been excluded but experience has taught this cannot be relied upon.
As they say in the alt-right… KEK

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

boner confessor posted:

Yea they are combat deployments, you know nothing about marine expeditionary units and what they do.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

thechosenone posted:

He was probably talking about support personnel, of which I have heard there are a lot of in order to make sure things go well for those who have to go into combat. Either way, combat or not, everyone who works in the military deserves a fair shake like everyone else. They are all close to our hearts, what with many of them being family.

Although I'm sure plenty of folks who could be in the line of fire are lucky enough not to see any. Doesn't say anything about their character. Just means they are fortunate. No one should want to see combat.

They want to see cheezeburger stands. and stuff like that.

The Iraq war really saw a lot of blurring of those lines.

I should have been behind a desk writing reports during my deployment, and, well.....I wasn't.

Look at all the women getting combat action badges even though women weren't allowed in combat arms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AmericanBarbarian
Nov 23, 2011

Shagman posted:

Full article about Richard Spencer's NPI conference Nazi salutes: http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/11/richard-spencer-speech-npi/508379/

I can’t overstate how incredibly damaging this video is. This is a complete failure on their part and their leaders are livid right now.
I especially love the crowd; you could just sneak up on these people and yell “Sieg Heil” and their arm will be up before they even realise.

This is a watershed moment.

And then he just goes "Hail Trump! Hail Our People! Hail Victory!" (did you know that "Hail Victory" in German is said “Sieg Heil”?).
Incomprehensible…
Did he just get caught in the heat of the moment?
Sure, the press wasn’t supposed to be there still, but they themselves were livestreaming it. It’s on their freaking youtube (no view of the salutes in the crowd though)...

Further proof that the type of people who favor Nazi ideology in the 21st century are not the pick of the litter. Hopefully this gives further ammunition to Kushner to show Trump that the alt-right and by association Bannon should be minimized in his cabinet.

• Locked thread