Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

lite_sleepr posted:

Queue the sperglords falling over themselves to angrily correct this guy.

Yeah it's obvious that Anor Londo in DS3 is actually Tomb of the Giants from DS1 with the lights turn on.

Come on guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

drat I never would have guessed #2 was a thing but it's so obvious in retrospect!

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

That is fantastic.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
I have hundreds of hours in this game and I still get lost and confused in the Farron Keep area. Oh I have 2/3 fires lit? Good luck finding the other one.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

If this list I'm reading is correct it's interesting that curved great swords seem the best for chaos and dark infusions. Also that bleed weapons with blood infusion barely gain a few more points of bleed than weapons with out it. So bleed infusion is best for putting bleed on a moveset that doesn't get it.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sPhbbJwTbI

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
does DS II still have a PVP community?

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

The first was good but this is excellent.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Beat the DLC. Holy jeez was it short.

I think I found everything there is to find. Two armor sets, the onyx blade, and that livid pyromancer fight was fun. I got his little fireball sentry like what those bird things in the demon ruins use.

Literally fought scythe wielding anime waifu and her drunken dad who stumbled around the room smashing his grog bowl all over.

My question would be, what happens if you kill the two little girls you find in the game? One upstairs from the bonfire before the boss fight, and one in the big building at the snowy mountain pass bonfire. Does anything happen? At this point I think I'm pretty burnt out on DS 3, and bar another play through as a Londor knight rockin' Vilhelms set and the sable church sword, I think I might try Bloodborne again since that has DLC coming out in a few days.

All in all, I guess the DLC was good for two days. Deffo glad I got those 10 free Sonybucks to add to the $5 I didn't know I had. The DLC cost me only $5, which honestly is about all it's worth.

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Nov 22, 2016

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD
Bloodborne dlc was last year :ssh:

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
The one girl in the chapel just disappears if you kill her (like an illusion, not like a death animation) probably serious lore implications. I don't remember if she comes back or not, I think she does. The girl up the ladder has a death animation and appears back the next time you load the area and her dialogue changes to something like "I cannot die, Ashen One. I have a painting to paint." There's no loot.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

lite_sleepr posted:

Beat the DLC. Holy jeez was it short.

I think I found everything there is to find. Two armor sets, the onyx blade, and that livid pyromancer fight was fun. I got his little fireball sentry like what those bird things in the demon ruins use.

Literally fought scythe wielding anime waifu and her drunken dad who stumbled around the room smashing his grog bowl all over.

My question would be, what happens if you kill the two little girls you find in the game? One upstairs from the bonfire before the boss fight, and one in the big building at the snowy mountain pass bonfire. Does anything happen? At this point I think I'm pretty burnt out on DS 3, and bar another play through as a Londor knight rockin' Vilhelms set and the sable church sword, I think I might try Bloodborne again since that has DLC coming out in a few days.

All in all, I guess the DLC was good for two days. Deffo glad I got those 10 free Sonybucks to add to the $5 I didn't know I had. The DLC cost me only $5, which honestly is about all it's worth.

doesent sound like you found the second boss fight yet. i think if you kill the nun nothing really happens besides she says gently caress you and then mysteriously comes back for the boss fight.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Iretep posted:

doesent sound like you found the second boss fight yet. i think if you kill the nun nothing really happens besides she says gently caress you and then mysteriously comes back for the boss fight.
she comes back next time you load the area and doesn't say anything which is kind of lazy to be honest

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The same happens with that lady that gives you the banner/blue covenant seal. You can kill her, but she's scripted to die after you pick up your third lord soul, so she doesn't actually die or comment on it.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Hot drat I just had a rematch with the javelin against twinspears and it was the best match I've ever had. It ended when I put the weapon art in his face and got a weapon shot. His body twirled around as it died too it looked like a unique death animation it was boss as hell

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

CJacobs posted:

The same happens with that lady that gives you the banner/blue covenant seal. You can kill her, but she's scripted to die after you pick up your third lord soul, so she doesn't actually die or comment on it.

I'm pretty sure you can kill her to fight the Dancer and get up the ladder super early if you're a crazy person.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Oh yeah that does happen, I forgot about that. Whoops.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
On the other hand if you do that, when you kill off your third lord of cinder her voice reaches from beyond the grave to send you back to the Dancer's room

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

Tarezax posted:

On the other hand if you do that, when you kill off your third lord of cinder her voice reaches from beyond the grave to send you back to the Dancer's room

Yeah I did this on this playthrough and it was pretty weird to get summoned by no one into an empty room.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

lite_sleepr posted:

Five armor sets (two on corpses, two sold by shrine handmaid, one as random enemy drops), one ring, four spells, two shields, and fourteen weapons (thirteen per playthrough under most circumstances, because soul transposition accounts for two of them). Also some buyable-from-handmaid new ammo to go with one of the new weapons, and three more titanite slabs per playthrough.

With the exception of the armor set that comes from random drops, everything is either buyable or a placed item, so the farming is minimal.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Hot drat I just had a rematch with the javelin against twinspears and it was the best match I've ever had. It ended when I put the weapon art in his face and got a weapon shot. His body twirled around as it died too it looked like a unique death animation it was boss as hell

As I recall that is the unique kill animation you get when you headshot someone with an arrow so you straight up put a javelin through his dome.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

How short is the short DLC? I'm having fun dicking around and parrying my way through the main game for now but I want to prepare myself for what's to come.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's about the size of 2 Undead Settlements, if I had to equate it to the normal game.

edit: Granted, that's a pretty rough estimate, and that's actually bigger than it sounds, but it is still much shorter than Souls game DLCs usually are.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Vil posted:

Five armor sets (two on corpses, two sold by shrine handmaid, one as random enemy drops), one ring, four spells, two shields, and fourteen weapons (thirteen per playthrough under most circumstances, because soul transposition accounts for two of them). Also some buyable-from-handmaid new ammo to go with one of the new weapons, and three more titanite slabs per playthrough.

With the exception of the armor set that comes from random drops, everything is either buyable or a placed item, so the farming is minimal.

Yea. I got a whole Follower set, the slave knight and vilhelm's set, and Frieda's set I got off the shrine maiden.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Cavelcade posted:

How short is the short DLC? I'm having fun dicking around and parrying my way through the main game for now but I want to prepare myself for what's to come.

How are you finding the parrying further on in the game? After coming from the parry heavy blood borne I tried to play that way in ds3 but quickly gave up because roll + 2handing felt more effective.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

cougar cub posted:

How are you finding the parrying further on in the game? After coming from the parry heavy blood borne I tried to play that way in ds3 but quickly gave up because roll + 2handing felt more effective.

I'm not really that far yet - heading down the Road of Sacrifices and having fun there. I've been handling npc invasions with parrying pretty alright so far but no proper invasions so far. Two handed the Curse Rotted Oak and Vordt, but I made a point of parrying Gunder even in his second form and it was a drat satisfying way to kill him.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
Sunlight Spear hits really hard. Even from range I hit a lothric knight for 900 with it. I've only hit one or two people with it in pvp and it's still over 500 damage. One of those times I thought I was casting Lightning Stake and the guy rolled away and instead ate the spear.

I'm doubting about going into NG+ with my paladin just to get Lightning Storm. It's either that, doing ng+ on my quality dude with axes this time around, starting a pyro, starting a bleed build, or just playing something else and doing arena every now and then.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

lite_sleepr posted:

Yea. I got a whole Follower set, the slave knight and vilhelm's set, and Frieda's set I got off the shrine maiden.

There's also the millwood knight set you can buy from the maiden after you give her the new ashes (top of the sniper tower in, not surprisingly, the area with all the millwood knights).

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
A friendly invader in High Wall dropped my pyromancer Gotthard's swords. The move set is kind of cool so I figured I'd try them out, but they seem to have pretty poor scaling. Should I be infusing them or what?/how do I get the most out of them.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Anyone on PC mind dropping me a spare Gold Serpent Ring and a pile of Coins? :kiddo:

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
Getting an itch to do a dumb gimmick character. Can you trade the special dragon stones down to new characters? And if yes, do you all have any advice for a good class to start as or weapon category/stat category to go for as a no-armor Flynn ring dragon dude?

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
For people who've gone back to DS2:

What builds have been fun after being used to the faster pace of DS3?

Is low level belfry luna still active?

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

skasion posted:

A friendly invader in High Wall dropped my pyromancer Gotthard's swords. The move set is kind of cool so I figured I'd try them out, but they seem to have pretty poor scaling. Should I be infusing them or what?/how do I get the most out of them.

They used to be very strong but they've eaten several pretty hefty nerfs. I've only used them on my Pyro where they did great Raw+Enchanted and just fine as Chaos/Dark. If they are going to be your main weapon start them off as Raw or Fire then switch them to Chaos or Dark later. Otherwise they make a great backup/serious-mode weapon if you keep them Raw and use Carthus Flame Arc on them.

For non-casters then they do best as Sharp, Refined, or Hollow, depending on your build. Hollow is the highest AR but most stat investment and Sharp is the lowest but lowest stat investment with Refined a bit ahead of Sharp.

In terms of how you use them they are a decent, if low AR, straightsword normally. They do have the longest range of any straightsword so that can be cool. Two-handed, they have an awesome rolling attack (that has been nerfed but is still good) and their L1 combo and weapon art both do good damage. They eat up stamina however so investing in End is pretty recommended. As with most dual weapons they make very good use of buffs with their multi-hit attacks on L1 or with the weapon art.

AttackBacon fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Nov 22, 2016

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
It's a shame that almost all of the dual wield weapon attacks suffer from lack of range, speed or both, on top of the weapons themselves typically lacking damage for their weapon types. The extra damage from doing two weaker hits isn't enough to compensate for these negatives, but they're still cool and fun. The Sellsword Twinblades are the only dual weapon which really stands out as being able to do tons of extra damage and the range on them is absolute rear end.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

RabidWeasel posted:

It's a shame that almost all of the dual wield weapon attacks suffer from lack of range, speed or both, on top of the weapons themselves typically lacking damage for their weapon types. The extra damage from doing two weaker hits isn't enough to compensate for these negatives, but they're still cool and fun. The Sellsword Twinblades are the only dual weapon which really stands out as being able to do tons of extra damage and the range on them is absolute rear end.

Hmm I don't know that it's that bad, I think some of the dual weapons are best-in-class. Onikiri and Ubadachi for example are probably the best Katanas, aside from the Washing Pole dashing R1. Gotthard's were not-so-secretly the best PvP straight swords for a while and are still quite good and still the longest straight swords. While yes, it's a fact that across the board they tend to have a bit less damage, there are advantages to having multi-hit L1's. The most notable is of course Bleed buildup but there is also the increased effect they gain from weapon buffs as well as the fact that most dual attacks tend to be stamina-efficient. Then there's more gimmicky stuff like the Pontiff Rings and the Old Wolf Curved Sword which are situational at best but the dual weapons do make the best use of those effects (as can be seen to devastating effect even in PvP with the Crow Talons).

Damage-wise it's not too bad, most of them tend to be just slightly below average. The Crow Quills are even the highest damage thrusting swords (or tied with the Estoc depending on build), although they are an exception. As an amusing aside, although it's extremely impractical, the Dancer's Twin Swords have the highest possible stat-based AR at 862 with 99 in all stats, even higher than the Demon's Greataxe (which is the next highest at 854). So I think that it's definitely possible and even powerful to focus on the dual weapons, although it's not always going to be strictly optimal. With a hybrid caster however, it often will be optimal, as you know with the Sellsword Twinblades.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
After the boss at the end of the dlc, i can't help but feel taking fire damage should reduce your frostbite buildup. Decide whether to take the hp hit or risk that meter creeping up a little further.

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

just gonna do whatever I want to do, all the time

Shannow posted:

After the boss at the end of the dlc, i can't help but feel taking fire damage should reduce your frostbite buildup. Decide whether to take the hp hit or risk that meter creeping up a little further.

Yeah, I mean that would make sense. Putting the affected body part into an open flame is a very effective cure for real-life frostbite.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Nonexistence posted:

For people who've gone back to DS2:

What builds have been fun after being used to the faster pace of DS3?

Is low level belfry luna still active?

I mean nothing is as fast as DS3 but I've been having a blast with a quick, lightly-armored sword user who uses items and pyromancies to gently caress with people and trip them up. I focused on DEX but you could probably do the same with STR or quality, which gives me a fun pool of weapons to play with, depending on what speed/reach/moveset I want to use. It's fun to try different stuff against human players, so definitely don't lock yourself in to just one type of melee weapon.

Remember to pump up AGL a bit!

As far as bellfrys go, yeah they both seem fairly active still. PVP is so good in this game, the mechanics feel sound and locked in, and everytime I win I feel like it's due to my ability to read my opponent and react accordingly. Not to say DS3 PVP isn't fun but yeah DS2 is where it's at if you want tight, balanced combat.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

AttackBacon posted:

Hmm I don't know that it's that bad, I think some of the dual weapons are best-in-class. Onikiri and Ubadachi for example are probably the best Katanas, aside from the Washing Pole dashing R1. Gotthard's were not-so-secretly the best PvP straight swords for a while and are still quite good and still the longest straight swords. While yes, it's a fact that across the board they tend to have a bit less damage, there are advantages to having multi-hit L1's. The most notable is of course Bleed buildup but there is also the increased effect they gain from weapon buffs as well as the fact that most dual attacks tend to be stamina-efficient. Then there's more gimmicky stuff like the Pontiff Rings and the Old Wolf Curved Sword which are situational at best but the dual weapons do make the best use of those effects (as can be seen to devastating effect even in PvP with the Crow Talons).

Damage-wise it's not too bad, most of them tend to be just slightly below average. The Crow Quills are even the highest damage thrusting swords (or tied with the Estoc depending on build), although they are an exception. As an amusing aside, although it's extremely impractical, the Dancer's Twin Swords have the highest possible stat-based AR at 862 with 99 in all stats, even higher than the Demon's Greataxe (which is the next highest at 854). So I think that it's definitely possible and even powerful to focus on the dual weapons, although it's not always going to be strictly optimal. With a hybrid caster however, it often will be optimal, as you know with the Sellsword Twinblades.

O&U is an exception primarily because of the WA and the Crow Quills dual attacks are so short ranged and/or slow that you're 100% better off just using a shield with it as it's a straight up better rapier. But of course they're not so bad that they're useless, only that even when using those weapons you mostly want to use the regular attacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I'm still on my first playthrough, and I'm looking at building a PvE focused pyro, which is odd in this game since they dual scale with INT/FTH.

Here's my current stat spread and load out. Help me:

SL 61
VIG: 12
ATT: 11
END: 20
VIT: 21
STR: 16
DEX: 21
INT: 19
FTH: 19
LUK: 14

Chaos Uchigatana/Chaos Astora Greatsword + Pyroflame + Spirit Tree Crest Shield/Dragon Crest Shield
Ring of Favor/Witch's Ring/Carthus Milkring/"Flex Spot"

It's unoptimized to hell, and I have no idea in what order I need to be maxing my stats to be useful at each SL for SunBroing.