Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jamesman posted:

But will they tolerate a movie with so many black people in it?

If Luke Cage is any indicator?

No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Speaking of, has Netflix ever released ratings info for their original releases? I'm assuming it would have to be limited to total number of complete watches and maybe viewership by state/country.

Strom Thermos
Sep 18, 2004

The rich have loved watching POC perform for like a century

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
They'll go see it but be completely oblivious to the point, like Mike Pence and Hamilton.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Markorjoshua posted:

The rich have loved watching POC perform for like a century

Yeah if there white

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Speaking of, has Netflix ever released ratings info for their original releases? I'm assuming it would have to be limited to total number of complete watches and maybe viewership by state/country.

Netflix never releases viewership numbers.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Rhyno posted:

If Luke Cage is any indicator?

No.

Was that series considered not great? after watching all of those, I find it my least favorite. DD s1 and JJ were pretty fun, DD S2 was pretty good, except for Matt being a total rear end to Foggy and Karen. But LC had some of the worst Villians, Cottonmouth was okay, Mariah seemed to luck into everything in an unsatisfying way, and Diamondback was awful. It just felt like there was a lot of lost potential.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Anora posted:

Was that series considered not great? after watching all of those, I find it my least favorite. DD s1 and JJ were pretty fun, DD S2 was pretty good, except for Matt being a total rear end to Foggy and Karen. But LC had some of the worst Villians, Cottonmouth was okay, Mariah seemed to luck into everything in an unsatisfying way, and Diamondback was awful. It just felt like there was a lot of lost potential.

I liked Luke Cage right up until the last 2 episodes. :(

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Anora posted:

Just as Cottonmouth gets interesting they replace him with Diamondback where apparently the actor decided to do his weirdest possible Jules from Pulp Fiction impression. The second half is for the most part a lot weaker than the 1st. Overall it's decent but it is not on the level of the other shows they have previously done.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

FlamingLiberal posted:

Just as Cottonmouth gets interesting they replace him with Diamondback where apparently the actor decided to do his weirdest possible Jules from Pulp Fiction impression. The second half is for the most part a lot weaker than the 1st. Overall it's decent but it is not on the level of the other shows they have previously done.

This is how I felt about it. It wasn't bad, but a ball was clearly dropped at some point. I quite liked Cottonmouth. Diamondback and Mariah didn't live up to that standard at all.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, Luke Cage (like almost all the Netflix shows) is half a really good show and half trying too hard to be comic-booky when it doesn't fit.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The Netflix shows never really seem to know how to end. Every episode is better than the last, until the final two episodes. Without fail.

The only semi-exception is Jessica Jones, where the last episode was pretty good (though not as good as the rest of the show), but there were a one or two episodes near the end that were mostly tension-building or filler episodes.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The Netflix shows never really seem to know how to end. Every episode is better than the last, until the final two episodes. Without fail.

The only semi-exception is Jessica Jones, where the last episode was pretty good (though not as good as the rest of the show), but there were a one or two episodes near the end that were mostly tension-building or filler episodes.
Jessica Jones needed to be like 10 episodes instead of 13.

Apparently Defenders is only going to be 8 but will have like the entire casts of all four shows practically so I have no clue how they are going to fit that in.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
They all need to be 10 episodes, max. The padding on Cage especially was so bad I just didn't even bother watching the last 3 episodes until this weekend (Diamondback did get better, to be fair to him, I quite liked him by the end).

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Luke Cage was the first Marvel Netflix show I watched and I had to stop after 4 episodes. It just always felt a little cheap, not sure what it was. It didn't help that WestWorld started around the same time, that might have ruined everything.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sentinel Red posted:

They all need to be 10 episodes, max. The padding on Cage especially was so bad I just didn't even bother watching the last 3 episodes until this weekend (Diamondback did get better, to be fair to him, I quite liked him by the end).

Or maybe they could just get writers who can do the job they're hired for?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Everything with Diamondback and his backstory/motivation was weak as hell. They just didn't do a good job with it at all.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The length of the Netflix series' only matters because of the writing. Cage could have been thirty episodes and we all would have been clamoring for more if it had been written better.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Aphrodite posted:

Or maybe they could just get writers who can do the job they're hired for?

Stories are organic things. They are as long as they are. Setting an arbitrary point and saying "Your story needs to be this length" is always a gamble, and it generally only pays off if you have *more* ideas than can fit into that time. It can sometimes pay off by making writers really examine those ideas and cut them down to the most interesting, or make them flow in the most economic way possible. And even then it can just as often hurt the story. When the story is shorter and you try to force it to be longer? That's just asking for misery. The thing I'm looking forward to is in 10 years or so when it's completely blase to put poo poo online only, and people just acknowledge that maybe this season isn't a season, it's a 2 and a half hour movie. Maybe next season is 10 episodes. Maybe the one after that is 8. Maybe you legitimately have 20 episodes for the final season. Let the story be whatever it is, and don't try to fit some arbitrary ad based matrix that lost relevance sometime shortly after the 1950s ended, and whose undead spirit has been haunting televised fiction ever since.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They're not writing original stories, they're adapting 40+ years of stuff.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

They absolutely are writing original stories. None of the Netflix shows has been a straight adaptation of any of the comic arcs, they've at best been inspired by it and then gone off in their own directions. Luke Cage borrows from some of Luke's history but it's got plenty of its own stuff in there to..

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Aphrodite posted:

But they're deathly afraid of writing monster-of-the-week stories so none of the story structure of all that wealth of material is retained.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I still feel like I watched Bizarro Luke Cage where Diamondback was hilarious and I loved him while I was almost immediately bored by Cottonmouth

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Lobok posted:

The length of the Netflix series' only matters because of the writing. Cage could have been thirty episodes and we all would have been clamoring for more if it had been written better.

It's absolutely this. People are really misdiagnosing the problem as one of too many episodes when the real issue is that within the episodes the stories aren't being told properly. Luke Cage was honestly probably the worst by far about it, too.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Blockhouse posted:

I still feel like I watched Bizarro Luke Cage where Diamondback was hilarious and I loved him while I was almost immediately bored by Cottonmouth
I actually liked both in different ways.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Lin-Manuel Miranda wants to play Carnage and I'm not going to say no to that.

"Killer symbiotes...they get the job done."

redbackground fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Nov 22, 2016

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I was mostly confused by Cottonmouth because I kept wondering why Remy Danton was suddenly a gangster and if Diamondback would turn out to be Raymond Tusk or Frank Underwood.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Jamesman posted:

I was mostly confused by Cottonmouth because I kept wondering why Remy Danton was suddenly a gangster and if Diamondback would turn out to be Raymond Tusk or Frank Underwood.

I was confused because in the fight at the end, Luke didn't punch the bosses glowing weakspot.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

redbackground posted:

I mean, I kinda get it if he's picking from the list of Spider-Man villains that haven't been on screen yet, but... no. Why. Huh?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He's a 90s kid.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Aphrodite posted:

He's a 90s kid.

So am I!

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Adapting is true to an extent, but it isn't like there's this one big, definitive Luke Cage story that they're straight up adapting. In the MCU, so many of them combine stories from various eras of writers, and sometimes even incorporate other universes into the story. I think the best you can say about the Netflix shows is that they fit the tone of the story they're adapting, but a lot of the plot is original. Jessica Jones is probably a perfect example in that it nails the tone of Alias. And there are a few scenes that are loosely adapted from the comics. But so much of the story was changed either naturally or not having the rights (Scott Lang Ant-Man, Carol Danvers, Spider-Woman, Spider-Girl, J Jonah Jameson, and many more are absent from JJ for obvious reasons). Even in the scenes they adapt from the comics, like Kilgrave in the restaurant where he shouts silence, it is still changed quite a bit from the original comics scene.

And just because the character is horrible in the comics doesn't excuse the character being bad in the show. I thought Mariah was a vast improvement over her comics counterpart, although that's admittedly a low bar to get over.

ninguno
Jan 17, 2011
Re: Strange

BrianWilly posted:

The worldbuilding and themes start to get pretty weak

I thought this was a cool critique in general, won't quote the whole post. I don't know what I wanted out of the movie-- definitely not a lord of the rings trilogy-- but it really did feel thrown together to me. None of the descent, ascent, and victory of Strange felt weighty to me. Perhaps Spiderman (for example) gets a pass because everyone's so familiar that they subconsciously fill in the gaps but I "got" that character and his role a lot better than I did Strange, whom I've also read a lot of the modern comics of.

Was the clock-work style reality bending thing ever an aesthetic from the comics? It jarred me for whatever reason, because whenever I think of manipulating reality I think very organic curves.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Jamesman posted:

Yeah he was a lot different on this show, and I enjoyed him as Cottonmouth. I liked the backstory which they for some reason decided to show us in the same episode he gets curbstomped with a mic stand

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Ben Wheatley (Kill List, High Rise) is on for Hard Boiled, which is a perfect choice.
http://filmjunk.com/2016/11/22/ben-wheatley-and-tom-hiddleston-to-adapt-frank-millers-hard-boiled/

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

redbackground posted:

I do not get wanting to play Carnage

Carnage is just so one note. He's like a flatter, less interesting Joker (Note to self: Jared Leto for Carnage? Yes. Jared Leto for Carnage.)

He thinks he's funny, but he's not
He thinks he's clever, but he's not
The only song he knows is "Kill 'Em All", and it's stuck on repeat.

He doesn't even have that "Dark reflection of the hero" that so many other bad guys get - He's an off-brand knock-off of that guy. A copy of a copy. And worse in every way.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

CzarChasm posted:

Carnage is just so one note. He's like a flatter, less interesting Joker (Note to self: Jared Leto for Carnage? Yes. Jared Leto for Carnage.)

He thinks he's funny, but he's not
He thinks he's clever, but he's not
The only song he knows is "Kill 'Em All", and it's stuck on repeat.

He doesn't even have that "Dark reflection of the hero" that so many other bad guys get - He's an off-brand knock-off of that guy. A copy of a copy. And worse in every way.

He has a cool colour scheme and his hand turns into an axe I don't think this one's too tough.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Out of all the Spider-Man villains I too would like to be hidden behind CGI goop most of the time.

I'd be curious to know how he envisions a movie with Carnage. The whole point of the character is to be 10x as violent as any of the Spider-Man movies have been so far.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Carnage is lame so if the guy who can't rap worth poo poo wants to make the bad character into some crappy-freestylin wannabe punk i say let him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

CzarChasm posted:

Sometimes people just wanna cut loose. Playing a character where you are potentially doing nothing but screaming and thrashing about seems like a good way for an actor to just have a fun time on a set.

• Locked thread