Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

So which one do you guys (who have played both Arkham and LOTR) like more?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

EdsTeioh posted:

We played it as clues on the actual location, but this way makes sense and makes that ability actually a lot better.

That's what I worry about. It means you're going to autohit everything with the .38 unless you pull some tentacles.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
With cards that have Uses(X) on them, is there a way to recharge those? Like cards that add bullets or charges to assets that you have on the board?

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Anything that says at location must actually be at the location, it doesn't count if your character has it. I know that is going to be included in the FAQ because there is some dispute about it in other areas of the game. It makes more sense if the clue is at the location for the revolver power, since it will help you kill the enemy and then claim the clue.

Page 7 of the rules: A card ability that refers to clues “at a location” is referring to
the undiscovered clues that are currently on that location.

Max fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Nov 21, 2016

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

COOL CORN posted:

With cards that have Uses(X) on them, is there a way to recharge those? Like cards that add bullets or charges to assets that you have on the board?

Not by default but it looks like theres some cards that interact with it

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

COOL CORN posted:

There is an "extra ammo" card for the blue role, but it isn't in the base decks.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I imagine that will be the ability of one of the investigators, eventually.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Selecta84 posted:

LotR is probably my favorite game of all time, or at least top 3. I'm not really sure that I can make that assessment quite yet though. I'd have to revisit that question after I play a little more.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

COOL CORN posted:

There aren't many now, but there are some.

There's a blue card called "Extra Ammunition" that you can play to give more bullets for firearms.

I think there's a purple take-an-action-to-recharge-a-spell card but I don't remember the details.

Chairman Pow!
Apr 23, 2010

Selecta84 posted:

So far I am enjoying playing both. Arkham is a different enough type of game that for me its not an either/or situation. Arkham has some streamlined LOTR mechanics as well as parts of Warhammer adventure card game, and a bit of Conquest. It is much closer to an RPG in that you develop and grow a deck rather than deck build to beat specific scenario.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008

GrandpaPants posted:

Sorry, I meant the actual Battle of Pelennor Fields adventure, the one with the ring wraith mount as the symbol. The Witch King is 2/45 and is double sided, but each side has different card numbers. I don't know what card number 1/45 is...

I think it actually is Witch-King (Captain side).

Driven to the Brink (Siege of Gondor 32/32) #42
Minas Tirith (Pelennor Fields 3/45) #43

Pelennor Fields Quest Cards #73-77
Pelennor Fields Campaign Card #78
Witch King Captain #79
Witch King Sorcerer #80

Hall of Beorn's card search lists them as separate cards to get 45, so I think it's right. Dumb way to do it if so, and different to how they've handled similar cards before.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Just wondering, has anyone ran a solo character through the entire starter campaign? And if you did, what did your deck look like? I've gotten past the first scenario relatively easily solo a few times, but every time I've tried the second one I get curbstomped.

I still think Skids is the way to go, but it feels like I'm super reliant on getting a couple of cards to make him really shine (and losing one ends up really sucking).

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Single Tight Female posted:

I think it actually is Witch-King (Captain side).

Driven to the Brink (Siege of Gondor 32/32) #42
Minas Tirith (Pelennor Fields 3/45) #43

Pelennor Fields Quest Cards #73-77
Pelennor Fields Campaign Card #78
Witch King Captain #79
Witch King Sorcerer #80

Hall of Beorn's card search lists them as separate cards to get 45, so I think it's right. Dumb way to do it if so, and different to how they've handled similar cards before.

This triggers my OCD so much. Thanks for the confirmation! I spent way too long trying to find card 1/45 before realizing that the Witch King was double sided, but still not 1/45.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

alansmithee posted:

Just wondering, has anyone ran a solo character through the entire starter campaign? And if you did, what did your deck look like? I've gotten past the first scenario relatively easily solo a few times, but every time I've tried the second one I get curbstomped.

I still think Skids is the way to go, but it feels like I'm super reliant on getting a couple of cards to make him really shine (and losing one ends up really sucking).

One or two cores? Also, the first quest being a breeze and the second a stomping is par for the course with the coop LCGs.

Anyone played Rougarou yet? How's the difficulty compared to the core quests? I assume it's pretty rough if their past event decks are anything to go by.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

Hauki posted:

I got a second core in the mail after I half-forgot about my online preorder. Sick as poo poo so I guess I'll be parked on the couch today messing around with the little bit of extra leeway I have in deck construction now. Anyone have any insight or opinions on that so far? I've mostly ignored it to this point and just run the starter lists out of the book since I was playing two-handed and there wasn't much room to do much else with one core.

Just build your characters with mostly cards from their base class instead of the starters which have an equal amount of cards from another class. I built an Agnes deck and it was so much more fun than the Wendy starter, because the deck becomes so much more reliable with the draws. Only thing I imported was 2x Lucky! and 2x Baseball bat, since Agnes uses mostly Arcane slots anyway.

Selecta84 posted:

I like AH more, but it's really apples and oranges. AH is more casual (at least at standard difficulty) and the story is more immersive with many endings. Deckbuilding in LOTR feels more hardcore, with more combos and sometimes you really need to tweak your deck for a scenario (although it's fun to try the same deck for a whole cycle).

Both obviously have different setting, if that's important to you.

We'll see how AH develops, but I'm really excited about it. Still going to hold on to my LOTR collection though, I have 4-5 cycles and a couple of saga boxes, but it's different enough to keep both.

(I still belive AH will see a lot more play though, but that's because my wife loooves to level characters, so if you like that too, AH is your game).

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Started a new campaign with the two cores running Daisy & Roland. Man, having consistency/redundancy in class cards makes for a completely different experience, the first mission was a total breeze, I wiped the floor with the priest a couple turns before the 2nd agenda filled up, and still had 3 or 4 actions left between the two that turn. I even took some extra actions early on to clear both the attic & cellar completely for VP, plus killed a couple enemies I probably didn't need t bother with.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

We finally beat the first scenario. First game was Roland /Wendy, 2nd was Roland /Daisy both on Standard. Switched to Skids/Daisy with an Easy Chaos Bag and finally won. Skids is a lot more fun than Roland. Evading is very powerful and Leo De Luca is awesome. We burned the fuckin' house down and we'll continue to the second adventure with Lita.

I don't mind playing on Easy while we learn the game and the card pool is so limited.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I never found the first scenario difficult, but the second one gets pretty hairy.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Got my curse of the rougarou in the mail today
Plan to finally use my second core and run 2 investigators. Quite excited

Roland will be one investigator got to figure out the second
Oh and finally pre-order the first deluxe expansion
I'm actually torn here as I'm tempted to hit up a lgs to pre-order, because after shipping it's almost a wash unless i order more, but I'm kinda gonna be very annoyed if they get it a week or 2 after online retailers
First world problems

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Got my curse of the rougarou in the mail today
Plan to finally use my second core and run 2 investigators. Quite excited

Roland will be one investigator got to figure out the second
Oh and finally pre-order the first deluxe expansion
I'm actually torn here as I'm tempted to hit up a lgs to pre-order, because after shipping it's almost a wash unless i order more, but I'm kinda gonna be very annoyed if they get it a week or 2 after online retailers
First world problems

Daisy is a pretty good compliment to Roland or Wendy. She investigates while he murders the poo poo out of everything.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Can you take a second copy of an investigator's signature card?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

EdsTeioh posted:

Yeah, it just counts towards your deck size instead of the freebie you get as a mandatory inclusion.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Thanks for the comparisons.

I'm getting back into my LOTR stuff and AH sounds really interesting...

And if they are that different that owing both is worth I will take a closer look at AH.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

EdsTeioh posted:

No.

BJPaskoff posted:

Yeah, it just counts towards your deck size instead of the freebie you get as a mandatory inclusion.

This is false.

Someone asked the designers this, and their reply was:

"You can only have 1 copy of your investigator's Signature card in your deck. These cards have no level, which is different from having level 0, and the deckbuilding rules only allow you to add cards of level 0-5 to your main deck. (Note: Signature cards in the Core Set were accidentally misprinted using the same template as level 0 cards. Starting with The Dunwich Legacy deluxe, Signature will be printed as cards with no level, similar to the template used by Story Assets, e.g. Lita Chantler.)"

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Which presumably means you can't carry Lita over to other adventures either, unless they say you can.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Jedit posted:

Which presumably means you can't carry Lita over to other adventures either, unless they say you can.

Yeah, I just assumed she disappeared along with the rest of the scenario-specific cards at the end of the scenario.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Not to spoil things but there's a way to keep her for the campaign.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Thirsty Dog posted:

Not to spoil things but there's a way to keep her for the campaign.

And the more I play, I think that's the better option. The extra 1 exp means fuckall by the end of mission two when it's like 14 vs 15 or whatever and having a free ally that gives +1 dmg to the harder fights is great. Also it lets you start off in a much more central location for mission two, saving some move actions.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Zerf posted:

No.

This is false.

Someone asked the designers this, and their reply was:

"You can only have 1 copy of your investigator's Signature card in your deck. These cards have no level, which is different from having level 0, and the deckbuilding rules only allow you to add cards of level 0-5 to your main deck. (Note: Signature cards in the Core Set were accidentally misprinted using the same template as level 0 cards. Starting with The Dunwich Legacy deluxe, Signature will be printed as cards with no level, similar to the template used by Story Assets, e.g. Lita Chantler.)"

Thanks!

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Hauki posted:

And the more I play, I think that's the better option. The extra 1 exp means fuckall by the end of mission two when it's like 14 vs 15 or whatever and having a free ally that gives +1 dmg to the harder fights is great. Also it lets you start off in a much more central location for mission two, saving some move actions.

If you happen to fail due to being wiped by the monsters in the first scenario, you will also gain her, and get to keep the house for the second scenario, though it doesn't impact much at the end of the day.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Has there been any L5R news in the last 2-3 months?

Chairman Pow!
Apr 23, 2010

always be closing posted:

Has there been any L5R news in the last 2-3 months?

None that I have heard, its been a lot of silence on it. Probably will hear more after the new SW dice game and the miniatures games hit this holiday season.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
My preorder for Arkham Horror got cancelled and the price jacked up, so I'm pretty bitter. I'm glad to hear its going over well but I think I'll end up waiting a few more months before I try getting a copy again. Might as well wait for the first cycle to come out. :smith:

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

Cinnamon Bear posted:

My preorder for Arkham Horror got cancelled and the price jacked up, so I'm pretty bitter. I'm glad to hear its going over well but I think I'll end up waiting a few more months before I try getting a copy again. Might as well wait for the first cycle to come out. :smith:

You know that CSI has it in stock right now right?

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Zerf posted:

You know that CSI has it in stock right now right?

CSI also has limited shipping options for overseas customers and the cost is prohibitive to order from them, unfortunately. Thanks though, glad its in stock somewhere.

EnjoiThePureTrip
Apr 16, 2011

Cinnamon Bear posted:

CSI also has limited shipping options for overseas customers and the cost is prohibitive to order from them, unfortunately. Thanks though, glad its in stock somewhere.

I ordered it straight from FFG, and it came super quick. Plus, I picked up the POD expansion.

I would think they wouldn't be terrible on overseas shipping since they're owned by Asmodee, but I don't know for sure.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

FFG overseas shipping is obscene

EnjoiThePureTrip
Apr 16, 2011

Thirsty Dog posted:

FFG overseas shipping is obscene

That is a shame. You'd think with them being part of Asmodee they would just ship copies of their games to one of Asmodee's warehouses in Europe and ship then from there for cheap.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

For their recent sale, shipping to the UK for a $40 order was something like $70.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Holy poo poo Harad is out right now!