Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shootforit
Oct 11, 2006

decypher posted:

I too am a cheapo and will be buying two OG AW(38mm, and 42mm) for my GF and myself for xmas. Does the original last all day with Watch OS 3?

I can get 48 hours out of mine easy. Individual usage will vary of course. I don't use mine for workouts or and I don't run apps for extended periods of times, mainly just receiving and responding to notifications.

shootforit fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Nov 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

decypher posted:

I too am a cheapo and will be buying two OG AW(38mm, and 42mm) for my GF and myself for xmas. Does the original last all day with Watch OS 3?

Get a S1 at the least, that poo poo will be obsolete within a year, and it's already painful to use.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

decypher posted:

You're fine, the new watches are overrated as hell imo unless you need the specific features on the S2.

For example here are refurbished 42mm space black SS apple watch first gen for $229:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-refurbished-apple-watch-42mm-stainless-steel-case-black-sport-band-large/4967300.p?skuId=4967300

I highly recommend the SS variants over the aluminum, not just because they look better but the sapphire glass is key for avoiding scratches on the face that, at least personally, would annoy the poo poo out of me.

Also you may want to subtly figure out a way to ask what size your GF wants, I figured my gf wanted the 38mm but she actually liked the bigger one a lot more.

EDIT: I guess some number of people took my advice because it sold out in the hour since I posted this, sorry. The link would be worth checking periodically for a while in any case.

EDIT2: Down to $209, definitely worth checking the link for a while as they get stock in batches periodically.

Taima fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Nov 19, 2016

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
I hosed up something while trying to setup the watch as vibrating alarm clock. Now I'm not getting any notifications on the watch for messages anymore. It's driving me mad. And once it works with the watch, the phone will buzz while I receive messages when writing messages. That can't be intended behavior, right? :psyduck:

I'm pretty close to flat out resetting the whole thing and starting over, but does anybody know what to do so that

- the watch will vibrate when I receive messages
- the phone won't vibrate
- the phone won't vibrate because of incoming messages while writing messages
- and, ideally, either phone or alarm will vibrate once the alarm clock goes off?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
What's the point of MacID on the Apple Watch? Isn't the Trackpad custom tap match more convenient than opening an app on the watch and reaching over and tapping?

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

rear end Catchcum posted:

What's the point of MacID on the Apple Watch? Isn't the Trackpad custom tap match more convenient than opening an app on the watch and reaching over and tapping?

Just use the built in mac unlocking. It's the best.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

I'm inpatient and pulled the trigger on a series 1 to return in 3 weeks. Hope it survives that long

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Just use the built in mac unlocking. It's the best.

Only thing I like about MacID is not having to type my password when it requested elevated permissions. But most importantly auto lock when I walk away. Was hoping that would be part of the built in unlocking but maybe in an update.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Are there any deals on the S2 coming up for black friday? I've found a bunch for the S1, but I'm looking for a S2 38mm Christmas gift.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Residency Evil posted:

Are there any deals on the S2 coming up for black friday? I've found a bunch for the S1, but I'm looking for a S2 38mm Christmas gift.

Lol apples retail arm never puts out any deals and I don't think there is enough supply on S2s to merit some retailers working deals.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

The S1 is a good buy to consider. It's quite essentially the same as the S2, minus the GPS, more stringent waterproofing, and slightly brighter display. It's also $100 less, and if any Apple Watches go on sale for Black Friday, I bet it'll be that one.

(There's a few other differences -- only the S2 comes in configurations beyond aluminum, slightly larger battery that is negated by the higher brightness screen and GPS, and the S2's body is ever so slightly thicker.)

If you suspect the person you're gifting wants the GPS or happens to be huge into swimming with smartwatches, then I guess those are the deal breakers.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
https://cybermondayhero.com/apple-watch-series-cyber-monday-2016/
Someone made a huge list of retailers who are knocking a few bucks off S1/S2 apple watches, almost all lower demand units like gold colors or 38mm, but it looks like Target has a deal on a 42mm space gray s2.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

rage-saq posted:

Lol apples retail arm never puts out any deals and I don't think there is enough supply on S2s to merit some retailers working deals.
Apple retail always has deals, they're just pretty limited - $100 off a Macbook or whatever. They didn't do anything for Watches last year.

These deals don't look nearly as good as last year, unfortunately. I got my S0 for $300 with a $100 gift card which owned.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This is a retarded question but I want the drat thanksgiving medal.

Does anyone know if the 5k has to be all at once or can it be broken up? I can't find anything that says one way or the other.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
I'm pretty sure it's all in one workout. And you have to use the stock workout app.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

decypher posted:

I'm pretty sure it's all in one workout. And you have to use the stock workout app.

Well one of the articles mentioned that it would work with any app that had access to health kit.

I've done one walk for 1.5 miles already so I'll do another one later with the dog to see if it works. I'm guessing not but who knows.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Weird, went to bed with Apple Watch (S2) at like 85% and put it on charger. Woke up to it only showing an image of the charging cord. Charging it now. Even if it hadn't charged all night it shouldn't have been dead by morning.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
I've been using the "unlock MacBook with Apple Watch" feature for a bit and something weird is happening.

When I close the lid, locking the MacBook, if I stay close by the watch starts dinging with the notification that the watch has unlocked the MacBook. It will continue to ding with a new unlock notification every 10 seconds or so until I can't stand it and open the MacBook and disable that setting.

I'm not moving the laptop, or unplugging it, or opening the lid. It just happens if I stay near it.

Anyone else?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

MarcusSA posted:

This is a retarded question but I want the drat thanksgiving medal.

Does anyone know if the 5k has to be all at once or can it be broken up? I can't find anything that says one way or the other.

I did a 5k run yesterday and didn't get the medal. I tracked it using run keeper but it showed up on my Activity app as a 3.11 outdoor run.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

CaptainCrunch posted:

I've been using the "unlock MacBook with Apple Watch" feature for a bit and something weird is happening.

When I close the lid, locking the MacBook, if I stay close by the watch starts dinging with the notification that the watch has unlocked the MacBook. It will continue to ding with a new unlock notification every 10 seconds or so until I can't stand it and open the MacBook and disable that setting.

I'm not moving the laptop, or unplugging it, or opening the lid. It just happens if I stay near it.

Anyone else?

Me too. It'd usually just ping once or twice and that's it. Probably some weird bug, hard to imagine how that's intended.

I ended up disabling the unlock feature because I'm sharing the laptop with someone else and they'd end up with my account when I'm nearby and they open it.

I wonder what'll happen if two users have the unlock feature running and are sitting next to each other, and one opens a laptop where both have an account. Probably just prompt for the password.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Unlock works as intended for me, sorry friends :(

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Unlock works as intended for me, sorry friends :(

Me too. :( :(

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
Ahh well. Thanks anyway. Off to the genius I go.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Best Buy makes their own bad sweater Christmas bands for the A watch, they rule.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Best Buy makes their own bad sweater Christmas bands for the A watch, they rule.

Link please.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Jose Oquendo posted:

Link please.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/promo/ugly-sweater-apple-watch-bands-evn11756

Sorry, shoulda done that originally!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Good lord those are terrible. I think I'll pick up one tomorrow.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
No in-store stock anywhere I looked. I bet they could've moved a ton of those as stocking stuffers to the Black Friday crazies.

Clockwork Synergy has 25% off everything through Monday. Going to pick up at least one of those striped NATO bands.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sikkkkkkkk

EDIT: 25% off if you buy all three!

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Nov 27, 2016

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

How the gently caress do I actually BUY applecare online?

I'm going here: http://www.apple.com/support/products/watch.html

Then clicking on "BUY NOW" which takes me to checkcoverage.apple.com

I put in my serial number and I get this:

So it verifies my eligibility I guess, but.. where do I continue the actual purchase? :confused:

edit: And now I've reached my "code limit" so I can't check any further. Nice job Apple :thumbsup:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Nov 27, 2016

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Get on their support line either via phone or chat. They'll get you to the Apple Care people, run a diagnostic, and then bill you.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
It's really easy to do the diagnostic online and buy the coverage yourself, I've done it a couple of times in the past few weeks.

Just go here: https://checkcoverage.apple.com/

And just follow the instructions, just takes 5-10 minutes.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Thanks, I tried that but the only options I have after entering my S/N are:

- "Check another serial number"
- "More about complimentary support"
- "Contact Apple Support"
- "Learn about Apple's Coverage information for your product"
and "Set up a repair"

Nothing about extending to two years.

It still shows my telephone support expiring Dec 28 '16, and my "Repairs and Service Coverage" expiring Sept 28 '17.

I'm just going to go to the store and buy it, I've spent way too much time trying to give Apple money online.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Just call them?

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

Just call them?

You think a goon, of all people, is ready for any sort of human interaction?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

Just call them?

Well I'm going to take a walk down to the fruit stand, I just don't know why an option to extend coverage would be missing from my watch serial number page.

I'm not altogether worked up about it, just confused.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

You think a goon, of all people, is ready for any sort of human interaction?

He's said he's going go to a store. I figure the form you can do from the warmth of mom's basement is more likely.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ehh, I'd rather just see someone face to face than try to go through a phone thing. I'm just jaded on phone support in general. Apple is probably an exception but at the same time I'll just take the jog because I feel like getting out.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
Is there some trick to getting the emoji list in iMessage to not be nearly unusably laggy when scrolling?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh d'doyy, sorry for the noise everyone. Apparently AppleCare is 60 days after purchase only and I can't math right to save my life.

All this time I thought it was 90 days even though it says 60 in the fine print. Welp. Guess I'd better stop banging it against walls.

• Locked thread