Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

Avshalom posted:

well not bright orange exactly, it was more a sort of burnt orange. very stylish

You did a Trump! :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
please stop defecating lovely presidents.

you should go potty, not pottus.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Pistol_Pete posted:

John Allison gives his SA identity away!

Also called Desmond Fishman a fan favorite, a clear giveaway.

The only thing that needs to be included in the Bad Machinery story flow is the Concluding New Bobbins story, where Rich Tweedy met his deserved fate, and Boycey his less deserved one (RIP The Boy you never should've meddled with eldritch computers). Bobbins.horse is untold tales of the bobbins cast and doesn't need to be linked to Lottie and the mystery teens, and everything else came before so who cares.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
"It was meant to be the summer of romance. But it's becoming the summer of no-chance."

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Poppy no

The cravat is too powerful a fashion accessory, your heart can't take it

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Nuebot posted:

That's basically all that really keeps me from keeping reading it. I used to read scary go round back when that was still a thing but then my computer died and when I got a new one apparently it had stopped and the guy started something new. Eventually I started reading Bad Machinery and I caught up to the archives there and the guy just decided to put it on hiatus for a while to start another comic. Now he's doing Bad Machinery again? Cool for him I guess, he writes neat stuff. But it gets kind of weird when a webcomic starts taking effort to keep track of to find out whether or not the one I'm reading is actually the webcomic I'm there for, or if the author just wants to do something new out of the blue.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Sure, but it badly needs a main site to amalgamate everything, with an archive detailing which chapters of what come in which order. It's not fantastically complicated, but the various series have gone on long enough and have enough interconnection between the cast that getting a handle on it all is a lot of work with basically no assistance from the author whatsoever.
You mean like this?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Yep, that'll do, thanks!

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Poppy no

The cravat is too powerful a fashion accessory, your heart can't take it

Poppy's idea of a diplomatic solution to a problem is to punch it slightly less hard, leave only a slight indentation in the wall of someone's body. You know, maybe just a bit of spackle and possibly some wallpaper repair. Diplomatic.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
did you miss that whole thing with the pies? she is a master statespossum

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

With violence off the table, I'd like her to mom it up and just treat everyone she disagrees with like they're a child throwing a tantrum; either say "that's nice dear" and basically ignore them, be incredibly condescending ("oh that's a lovely idea, I'm going to put it riiiiight here on the fridge") or just send them to their room.

Then they do it out of sheer surprise and wonder why.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
Octopus Pie: Meredith is bringing all the feels

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i'm a swine. a wretched swine! i'm a cocktail of trash

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Marathoned Stand Still, Stay Silent over the weekend.

It is a good comic. If you aren't reading it, you probably should be.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

The Sandman posted:

Marathoned Stand Still, Stay Silent over the weekend.

It is a good comic. If you aren't reading it, you probably should be.

It is and everyone should be, yes.

I have an extra appreciation for how it manages to accurately depict the real-life locations well enough for them to be immediately recognizable.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Man, Badnix has been depressing since returning from its hiatus. None of Rog's professors in enemy-college liked him, one even tried to keep him out of class because he is a tomato, no employers want to hire a tomato fresh out of college, and it turns out the job he cared so much about was just a nothing job that he only got because of his friend's mob connections.

Aside from the tomato and the mob, it's uncomfortably close to real life.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

An unexpected cameo in today's Kiskaloo.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Poppy has a keen scientific mind in the same sense that early modern European haphazard experimentation qualified as scientific brilliance.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
morbi you degenerate furry. that's two chapters in a row you've made an excuse to get a main character naked. how shameful.

(jk poppy is real good. and if you're a furry that's between you, jesus, and your dry cleaner.)

gutterdaughter fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Nov 22, 2016

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Gutter Owl posted:

(jk poppy is real good. and if you're a furry that's between you, jesus, and your dry cleaner.)

aren't you the one who talked about your sexcapades in the board game thread?

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Nuns with Guns posted:

aren't you the one who talked about your sexcapades in the board game thread?

well I'm a degenerate gay furry, what the gently caress do you want from me?

e: speaking of degenerate gay furries, I'm enjoying the hell out of the latest few Goodbye to Halos, because it's getting real anime up in here, and I'm down. (Yeah yeah, GBtH is mega queer pandering, but it's pandering to me, a mega queer, so I'm good with it.)

And seriously, Valerie Halla's panel composition is real loving choice lately. Like I'm digging everything since this page. The page where the panels are literally crying is a nice touch.

gutterdaughter fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Nov 22, 2016

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I may or may not have just binged the entirety of Daughter of the Lilies in a single sitting.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Gutter Owl posted:

would you say you're a trash disaster gutter owl, then

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Gutter Owl posted:

e: speaking of degenerate gay furries, I'm enjoying the hell out of the latest few Goodbye to Halos, because it's getting real anime up in here, and I'm down. (Yeah yeah, GBtH is mega queer pandering, but it's pandering to me, a mega queer, so I'm good with it.)

And seriously, Valerie Halla's panel composition is real loving choice lately. Like I'm digging everything since this page. The page where the panels are literally crying is a nice touch.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Doc McNinja is finally paying off a 5 year old plot thread

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

500 pages into Doctor McNinja, just 1500 to go. :downsgun:

Good thing the holidays are coming up.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

massive spider posted:

Doc McNinja is finally paying off a 5 year old plot thread

Now that's planning

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Gutter Owl posted:

(Yeah yeah, GBtH is mega queer pandering, but it's pandering to me, a mega queer, so I'm good with it.)

I'm under the impression all furries dream of falling into a world full of genderfluid catgirls, so this makes sense

Poison Mushroom posted:

I may or may not have just binged the entirety of Daughter of the Lilies in a single sitting.

The comic has been cool so far, but i guess with the extended fight scene they haven't had time to establish how weird the comic will get about jesus. I'm still hoping "not very"

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The strange and alien element of Christianity is indeed disconcerting.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
As a woman I am repelled by the holy cross among other religious symbols

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Read all of Daughter of the Lilies a while ago, but I forget: the events of the plot so far take place over the course of what, like, a day?

What a bad day.

Edit: There's something half-charming and half-embarrassing about a comic that will gladly show people getting posessed, maimed, and mentally scarred, but will censor out someone flipping the bird or swearing.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Goodbye to Halos is pretty bad. Even beyond the fact that it cribs so heavily from Cucumber Quest and a bunch of other stuff in vogue with the tumblr webcomic crowd, the author seems totally allergic to letting conflict or anything interesting happen at all. It feels like any interesting emotional beats are either glossed over or skipped entirely because the author is too enamored with her OCs and the idea of a "queer-positive" story to allow actual drama to occur

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I read through the comic today and like... some kind of conflict is happening now? but it took over 100 pages to get close to having an ongoing plot and that doesn't hook me in at all

e-

Green Intern posted:

Read all of Daughter of the Lilies a while ago, but I forget: the events of the plot so far take place over the course of what, like, a day?

What a bad day.

The flashback/current(?) plot has had maybe a day and a half from when Thistle met the rest of the group to helltoad fights

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Nov 23, 2016

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Green Intern posted:

Edit: There's something half-charming and half-embarrassing about a comic that will gladly show people getting posessed, maimed, and mentally scarred, but will censor out someone flipping the bird or swearing.
Yeah, the contrast is very weird and distinctly... American? Still a good comic, but it's not handled as well as, say, Dr. McNinja because it feels very tonally inconsistent.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Nuns with Guns posted:

I read through the comic today and like... some kind of conflict is happening now? but it took over 100 pages to get close to having an ongoing plot and that doesn't hook me in at all

There's finally a plot now but it just feels like a generic shonen conflict without any emotional depth to make it potent. The author could've used the past 100 pages to develop interesting and emotionally complex characters but nope

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So I started reading Goodbye to Halos because of you fuckers got to the point where the dude was introduced as "Very Con-cerned Gay Lion" and decided nope

I just

Look I'm straight so that means I don't have an invested interest in queer fiction by default, but this has nothing to do with that. That is a terrible way to introduce a character I don't care what whimsical bullshit you're trying to coat it in. Imagine O Human Star if it introduced Al as "Grumpy Frustrated Gay Man Who May Have Always Wanted To Be Trans But It's Kind Of Complicated And A Touchy Subject"

On second thought that would be almost ridiculous enough to pass.

What I'm trying to say is that Goodbye to Halos has lovely writing that makes me angry as a writer, just in how it introduces people. And that's notable.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I'm still enjoying it, but am kind of slowly coming to expect more and more that whatever Thistle's big face-secret is, it's gonna be either super cliche or super boring, probably both.

Edit Daughter of the Lilies, I mean.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The BYOB webcomics thread was my first exposure to Goodbye to Halos and that's not the most flattering first exposure because they do not sugarcoat their criticism at all

But I generally agree with them

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Goodbye to Halos is legitimately really bad. It's harmless, but poorly written and chronically averse to dealing with subject matter that might make any kind of point or...say anything.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

I disagree? From where I'm standing, the stakes seem pretty drat clear and big and well-established.

Like, let's gloss over the generic fantasy worldbuilding poo poo for a sec, because I do think it's kinda trite and overlabored and overburdened with exposition. K6BD it ain't. But it's honestly not important*.

But aside from that, the emotional core is "Queer kid finds queer enclave. Queer kid finally has breathing room and support network to pick through and patch up their mental damage. Outside force threatens to take that away." That's a pretty loving relevant conflict for a lot of LGBT folks. And I feel like the past 100-odd pages have been setting up the stakes to be lost.

And I think Val needed...well, some percentage of those 100 pages to really explore what that means to us weird gay kids. (I say "kids" and "us" like I'm not knocking on 30, but I was there not too long ago.) Like, this sort of enclave-building, chosen-family poo poo is a big part of the modern gay/trans experience that you really don't see in media? So it's both interesting and validating that Halla spends a good chunk of time painting what that looks like in detail, and why it's so meaningful and precious to Fenic and folks like her.

I mean, I relate to this poo poo. I called it "college," and "the first few years after transitioning," myself.

Call it Tumblrina poo poo if you gotta? But Tumblrina poo poo is basically just Portland poo poo is basically just San Francisco poo poo is basically the story of gay people having to figure out what community and relationships and mental health are from scratch, basically since the days when the Mattachine Society and the Daughters of Bilitis were a thing.

So yeah, I think the stakes are pretty evident, and pretty significant, and honestly the comic needed that time to build up and confirm to its weird queer kid audience that, yes, this is a story about y'all, and the poo poo y'all hold dear, and the poo poo y'all are scared of?

*I mean, it's mainly an elaborate excuse to stick all her furry and xenophilia fetishes in the comic in a SFW capacity, but whatever. Comics have been doing that since Joe Shuster drew a stoic muscleman in his underpants getting regularly beat up, if not before.

EDIT: Also, people keep saying that GtH bites off Cucumber Quest because Halla also uses flat shapes and a pastel-leaning color palette, but honestly that feels reaching. I mean, so does Steven Universe, so does Gendy Tartakovsy. I think they both draw from similar aesthetics in western cartooning from the past 20 years. And Gigi D.G. is clearly cleaving much more to children's books, with her texturing style and composition. If anything, Halla draws from Scott McCloud's infinite canvas shtick as much or more.

EDIT 2: Also also, since someone brought up known-good-gay-comic O Human Star, I wanna make it clear: I'm not saying GtH speaks to some universal young queer experience, that if you don't gel with GtH it's cuz you're some kind of privileged straight cishet scum or whatever. I'm saying it's *a* young queer experience, one that resonates for *a* young queer audience. Not *the* young queer audience.

I mean, Burkion is right, it would be kinda ridiculous if OHS introduced every character with a big subtitle detailing their pronouns and sexuality. It would totally clash. Delliquanti is making a different comic with a different tone, telling a different story about a different slice of the experience. But there's also a slice of the experience for the kiddos who put their pronouns up front on their twitter bios and tumblr headers. I mean, it's a thing. And by doing the magic pronouns thing, the comic is loudly signaling to those kids, this is for you.

gutterdaughter fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Nov 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i'm legitimately really bad

• Locked thread