Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
The only time Kitakami returns is when they've finally gotten over their paranoia over torpedoes and figure out how to give Kitakami to players who aren't going to immediately TK their entire team with it. That means more robust anti-griefer measures and a well thought out mission line or campaign to reward the ship.

Never. That means it will never be released again. This is wargaming we're talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Hazdoc posted:

The only time Kitakami returns is when they've finally gotten over their paranoia over torpedoes and figure out how to give Kitakami to players who aren't going to immediately TK their entire team with it. That means more robust anti-griefer measures and a well thought out mission line or campaign to reward the ship.

Never. That means it will never be released again. This is wargaming we're talking about.

KTKM was a little unbalanced tbh.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Vengarr posted:

KTKM was a little unbalanced tbh.

Unbalanced in the bad sense? Because it was a supremely lovely ship that only shone at point blank (below 8km) against potatoes. Its a Kuma hull, at T8. DDs could citadel it accidentally. 16inch HE could citadel it.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Unbalanced in the sense that it didn't have enough torpedoes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Zym2ZNzXTs

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Aramoro posted:

Pubbies are absolute garbage tonight. Just scrabbling around trying to find a any team that can come close to winning.

feel free to hit me up if you want to division, I really don't mind playing low tiers or anything and I have an eclectic selection of sealclubbers

In other news once I stopped detonating in the Fletcher it is actually very strong:

(rest of scorecard)

Won that game by the skin of my teeth. It was me and a Fubuki, both with less than 3000 HP, vs two Kageros where one had like 5-6000 HP and the other a few hundred. They had point advantage with 4 minutes on the clock, but we took a cap so we had two to their one and it was going to be very close. Ran into the low HP Kagero coming around a corner, kill him quickly, the other one appears behind me, pop smoke, he's taking our cap, two minutes on the clock, blind torp behind me into my own smoke, got the prediction mindgame right, hit him, Kraken, win with less than a minute on the clock. Intense poo poo.

I don't even have concealment expert on it yet because I started a new captain on it while keeping my old 15 point captain in the Benson. 6.4km concealment is pretttty bad but you can make it work.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Nov 21, 2016

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Hazdoc posted:

Unbalanced in the bad sense? Because it was a supremely lovely ship that only shone at point blank (below 8km) against potatoes. Its a Kuma hull, at T8. DDs could citadel it accidentally. 16inch HE could citadel it.

It was definitely lovely on its own. In a division with two Fubukis? There would just be a giant permanent ball of smoke in the middle of the map making GBS threads torpedoes in every direction.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Hazdoc posted:

Unbalanced in the sense that its strengths and weaknesses preclude a fun setup.

They should bring back the T10 kitakami.

book
Nov 29, 2014
Got the ARP Takao and man it's pretty good. Very tempting to buy an Atago now.

nodm
Jul 17, 2011
I don't know if you really need one if you have Takao unless you are hurting for silver or want a IJN trainer, but I'll say it's absolutely worth it. It makes tons of money, is faster than many dd's, has insane HE damage AND very good torps, and it is pretty tanky for a cruiser. But its best feature is the 9.2 km concealment, allowing you to slip in and out of detection with ease.
Right now on EU we have a lovely mission requiring 20 Russian ship kills with a T8 ship, those ships are rare enough already and now almost hunted to extinction.. But if I see that Kiev on the other team, hunting them in Atago has been getting me the kill secured more often than not :japan:

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

TheFluff posted:

feel free to hit me up if you want to division, I really don't mind playing low tiers or anything and I have an eclectic selection of sealclubbers

I will do, it was painful trying to get my doubles in the Hosho and Minekaze. Ended the evening on a 45% WR and terrible WTR.

My WTR for BB's and DD's is ~1100 but more like ~800 for Cruisers. I need to learn how to play Cruisers a lot better.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The result in 4 games from 7 attempts in my Emerald

WG are wastemen

Astroclassicist
Aug 21, 2015

Ended up as the only ship on my side of the Solomons map after my accompanying cruiser and BB both ate a full load of torps from each of the opposing carriers. Turns out, one New York cannot beat 3 enemy BBs and 3 cruisers!

It can however, citadel and destroy 2 of the cruisers before ramming one of the BBs :getin:

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

NTRabbit posted:

WG are wastemen

Had a win like that in my Emerald once. Well, not a zero xp win but I was bottom of the list. The AA is the worst of the tier V cruisers and it handles rather badly when stock, so when the enemy CV carefully set up his torp drop there really wasn't anything I could do about it. At least the Leander has workable, though still not great, AA.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

NTRabbit posted:

WG are wastemen

if that happens (game stuck at the loading screen) try just exiting the client and logging in again, has fixed it 100% of the time for me (like two or three occasions)

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

TheFluff posted:

if that happens (game stuck at the loading screen) try just exiting the client and logging in again, has fixed it 100% of the time for me (like two or three occasions)

I did, by the time the slow rear end client loaded back in again I was dead. That was the only battle I got a 0 for, the others I merely made it back in already damaged or with the battle beyond my ability to score well in, but I've had to tab out and kill the wows process so many times lately that it's almost not worth the effort for this Takao.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

NTRabbit posted:

I did, by the time the slow rear end client loaded back in again I was dead. That was the only battle I got a 0 for, the others I merely made it back in already damaged or with the battle beyond my ability to score well in, but I've had to tab out and kill the wows process so many times lately that it's almost not worth the effort for this Takao.

That, uh, sounds like you might want to reinstall or something.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I don't have enough room left in my download cap to do that this month, and it's pretty lovely from wargaming if they're going to make that a requirement every time they make yet another gently caress up

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I haven't had issues like that since I had motherboard fixed, and I'm running the mac version for extra sources of horrible problems.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
I watched a Emerald chase and eventually kill a Fuso. I tried to help the Fuso, but I figured anyone in a T6 BB that gets bullied by a Emerald deserves to be sunk.

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

start smoking (what's up, gold?)
I saw a few people in SEAMN, and I would like to join the saltiest loads. Are clans just invite-only at this time?

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Lobsterboy posted:

I saw a few people in SEAMN, and I would like to join the saltiest loads. Are clans just invite-only at this time?

They're in beta testing right now, you can't get invited unless you're in the beta too.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Also they're broken at the moment. Everyone got put into the wrong clans.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Lobsterboy posted:

SEAMN right now is not under goon control, due to :wargaming: level bugs. You'll have to wait till Wargaming unfucks their poo poo.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Vengarr posted:

They're in beta testing right now, you can't get invited unless you're in the beta too.

You actually can get invited if you're not in the beta. Only the clan requester has to/had to be in the beta. Hence why I'm a SEAMN.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner
Hey euro goons, just played with Thefluff (renhanxue in game) and it was fun, profitable and we won quite a bit. Play with us!

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Dunkerque is best baguette. Crazy game, and ended it by ramming a New Mexico to death when he was on 12k hp just to secure the win. Gave him a kraken unleashed for his trouble, but his team of bads couldn't handle the baguette.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

poo poo. 5 mil credit supercontainer, what a waste.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Seems like the sweet spot for German ships so far is T6. I kind of lost interest in the Yorck after about 30 games given how it seemed barely more survivable than he Kberg/Nberg line but had horrible shell arcs. Switch over to the BB line and I am crushing it with the Bayern unless I got uptiered to fight Bismarcks or NCs. Love how you can just bow and wade into it in almost any situation and not get killed.

Approaching the 80k XP for the Gneiseneau. Does the same playstyle carry over? The ship description says it has bad horizontal armor and it does seem like the belt armor is a bit thin. Also the 6 gun thing has me kinda worried. Also I am training up a secondary spec captain for the Bismarck whenever I get there, are the Gneiseneau's secondaries good enough to mount the secondary upgrade module?

Kore_Fero
Jan 31, 2008
T6 really is the sweet spot of fun for a lot of lines, high enough that ships are interesting but not yet into the rage/tryhardiness of T8+.

I would want to play with other goons in EU. Grinding the Takao mission with randoms is awful :(

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

MikeC posted:

Seems like the sweet spot for German ships so far is T6. I kind of lost interest in the Yorck after about 30 games given how it seemed barely more survivable than he Kberg/Nberg line but had horrible shell arcs. Switch over to the BB line and I am crushing it with the Bayern unless I got uptiered to fight Bismarcks or NCs. Love how you can just bow and wade into it in almost any situation and not get killed.

Approaching the 80k XP for the Gneiseneau. Does the same playstyle carry over? The ship description says it has bad horizontal armor and it does seem like the belt armor is a bit thin. Also the 6 gun thing has me kinda worried. Also I am training up a secondary spec captain for the Bismarck whenever I get there, are the Gneiseneau's secondaries good enough to mount the secondary upgrade module?

Play the Gneis like the Bayern except that you have torpedoes for close range loving and you need to not go straight in against 16" guns because they'll overmatch your bow. So charge down BBs without fear while making sure you don't get overextended. The secondaries are alright but I'd stick with the dispersion module to help with the terrible accuracy (compounded by fewer guns). AA is also an option but I found that the hull upgrade alone was enough of a boost. If you get focused by a Taiho an extra 20% range won't be enough.

The atsf video on the Scharnhorst has good tips on how to handle it, main difference being that you have fewer but bigger and slower loading guns so HE spam doesn't work so well.

e: Also this Flamu video on the Nagato demonstrates the angling you need to do against ships armed with 16" guns.

Godlessdonut fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Nov 22, 2016

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD

MikeC posted:

The Yorck is a weird boat because it honestly has more in common with Japanese cruisers than pretty much any of the other German ones. I found it to be a very tough ship as long as you don't show broadside but you basically want to use HE 90% of the time unless you close to within <8km of a broadsiding cruiser.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Can the Gneisenau/Scharnhorst actually get citadeled through the bow armor by 16-inch shells? I've overmatched the top part of the bow armor before, but never the waterline.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Vengarr posted:

Can the Gneisenau/Scharnhorst actually get citadeled through the bow armor by 16-inch shells? I've overmatched the top part of the bow armor before, but never the waterline.

I think it's possible but very unlikely. What will likely happen is that it'll overmatch and be a regular penetration.

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe

Kore_Fero posted:

I would want to play with other goons in EU. Grinding the Takao mission with randoms is awful :(

It kinda is. What your ingame name?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Kore_Fero posted:

T6 really is the sweet spot of fun for a lot of lines, high enough that ships are interesting but not yet into the rage/tryhardiness of T8+.

I usually join the 'goons' channel in game (the one sixsided created). Until we get a Euroclan going we can ll just join that to division in.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I love the Gneis, although my stats for it are probably totally garbage. The feeling of 'oh poo poo I need to get the gently caress outa here' you invoke in enemy ships if you approach them is palpable. But it teaches you real fast that you're also not at all invincible and if you pick the wrong moment to charge in you're totally hosed. It's the best teacher of 'how/when to be aggressive' and also 'how/when not to be aggressive' that I've come across. I've yet to discover the method to this madness myself and some goons can vouch that when playing this ship I'll say things like 'I'm going to do something that'll probably get me killed' that are probably real worrying.

On that same token, it's also the 'I'm in perfect position and we would be dominating this game but the rest of my team turned around and left me here alone' ship I've seen.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Thanks for all the tips on T7. As for the Yorck, its not the toughness that really gets me, I played lots of Kberg/Nberg games and loved it despite the fact that you can get 1 shotted if you make a mistake, its the fact that I can barely hit anything at all with those damned guns. At T5 and T6, I was raining AP shells on BB superstructures for good damage at good distance, 13-14 km and landing shots. With the Yorck, I can't hit the broadside of a barn unless its like sub 10k and you get lit up real fast at that range, no chance to dodge at all.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Ice Fist posted:

I love the Gneis, although my stats for it are probably totally garbage. The feeling of 'oh poo poo I need to get the gently caress outa here' you invoke in enemy ships if you approach them is palpable. But it teaches you real fast that you're also not at all invincible and if you pick the wrong moment to charge in you're totally hosed. It's the best teacher of 'how/when to be aggressive' and also 'how/when not to be aggressive' that I've come across. I've yet to discover the method to this madness myself and some goons can vouch that when playing this ship I'll say things like 'I'm going to do something that'll probably get me killed' that are probably real worrying.

On that same token, it's also the 'I'm in perfect position and we would be dominating this game but the rest of my team turned around and left me here alone' ship I've seen.

What I love about the Scharn is the feeling that while I'm going to probably die, I'm taking at least one person with me. I'll either torp or ram them on the way down, and probably citadel a cruiser that got greedy.

Last night gave me the best game in my Leander i've had yet. Started off poor, couldn't get good shots on people, rammed into a friendly ship and couldn't back off them until I'd be drug with him for awhile. I rushed into a cap, came to a stop and setup smoke. A New Mexico drives up about 5km out, drives into 3 of my torps and dies. A bit later, a Myoko drives in, gives me a broadside at 4km and eats 5 citadels from a single shot, then dies. Went from a game I thought I'd finish at 30k damage to having just over 100k.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Finally got a few ships with torpedoes and oh man is that a lot of fun. At tier 3 it seems a lot of people like to go to full stops for most of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe
Im in game on EU and there is distinct lack of goons online...