Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

people will question your hero choice sometimes, usually in ranked, but you can always just not listen to them. it doesn't happen very often tho and quick play/the arcade generally don't have that problem since people aren't going full tryhard

if you're really worried about it, just don't play torbjorn on offense/koth or symmetra ever and the amount of potential whining from your team about you will drop by a thousand percent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

IAmTheRad posted:

I mean, will people go 'are you seriously playing Sombra? She sucks!' and then tell me how to play the game. I know it's not really an issue during a free weekend as there's lots of people trying the game for the first time, but will it turn into me getting told how to play when I am just messing around?
In Quick Play? That will basically never happen, nobody really cares about QP results. If you find the QP try hard unicorn just ignore and/or mute them.

In Competitive? It happens more often but still not a huge amount. Ignoring and muting works for every occasion though so just keep on keeping on.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
I mean I can say who I liked playing as in the weekend.
D.va and Lucio were my main two that I liked to play as. Thought I'd not like Sombra but in a 6v6 arcade random it gave her to me, and I had fun with her then. Got a purple skin for her from a lockbox. Thought roadhog would be boring but I had fun when I got him as a random.
Tjobjorn I had for offense in a capture point map thingy, and I used him offensively. Also I got him in a duel and just wrecked the other guy as I built a turret then just sat back.

My personal counters are Zarya and Zenyatta. Reinhardt is just annoying.

I'm bad at the game but that's because I haven't really played a FPS in a couple of years, unless Warframe counts, but I haven't played that in a year.

TheMaskedUgly
Sep 21, 2008

Let's play a different game.

Roger Explosion posted:

I know exactly how good I am. "Kinda poo poo, but would get better with experience" and yet I've still come out of it with one of the most irritating game experiences I've ever had. I just can't think of a way to come into this game new in a better way than I did. I've had decades of FPS experience, I played during the beta a lot and liked it

This means a lot less than you think it does. I had 15 years of basically only playing fps's, and I went into CS:GO thinking I'd necessarily be better than average. Turns out I just had a lot of bad habits, and never really learned how to actually play an fps well; I assumed that because I was handily pub-stomping, that must make me a good player. I was ranked (deservedly) in the 'average' tier. It was only when I specifically dedicated myself to improving the specific skills that CS requires, that I actually got 'good'.

If you've never actively attempted to improve your skill in a competitive environment, you will necessarily be worse than the noobiest noob who has watched three 15 minute youtube videos on positioning.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Kashuno posted:

Level doesn't matter it's just time invested not skill

(source: me)
alternate source: the first person to reach level 1,600 in the US is pretty bad.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I thought you were talking about rank at first because I didn't think it was possible to be that high level yet

like drat man, I''m still shocked when I see a guy with a silver portrait

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

they also seemingly have an eu account with another 8000 games jesus christ why

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Manatee Cannon posted:

I thought you were talking about rank at first because I didn't think it was possible to be that high level yet
IIRC it means they have spent literally 50% of their waking time playing overwatch every day since it came out

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

terrified of my bathroom posted:

they also seemingly have an eu account with another 8000 games jesus christ why

chinese account farmer?

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

Cowcaster posted:

chinese account farmer?

It's all on two accounts so wouldn't really make sense

Dom is Here
Nov 11, 2016

Lipstick Apathy

Bettyspagh3tt1 posted:

Played the free weekend and purchased. Game is awesome. Really enjoying Soldier 76 and Reaper, would like to hook up with other PS4 goons to really start laying some coordinated beatings. Is there a spreadsheet or anything?

join the goonerwatch ps4 community. there's over 200 members although i only ever end up playing with the same dozen people

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

TheMaskedUgly posted:

This means a lot less than you think it does. I had 15 years of basically only playing fps's, and I went into CS:GO thinking I'd necessarily be better than average. Turns out I just had a lot of bad habits, and never really learned how to actually play an fps well; I assumed that because I was handily pub-stomping, that must make me a good player. I was ranked (deservedly) in the 'average' tier. It was only when I specifically dedicated myself to improving the specific skills that CS requires, that I actually got 'good'.

If you've never actively attempted to improve your skill in a competitive environment, you will necessarily be worse than the noobiest noob who has watched three 15 minute youtube videos on positioning.
I have done a bit of comp and lobbies though. I got into that because of that plateau of skill that comes from being too good for pubs, but too poo poo for comp. I'm not pretending I wasn't anything better than a noob with Overwatch though. That's the exact mindset I had going into it: "I'm a noob. I don't have Overwatch-related experience. Try to apply what you know and be prepared to suck!" It's just that I was consistently on teams of folks who didn't even have 'average' basics down. I might be new to Overwatch, but I know enough to not leave a point we're defending en masse to chase down one Sombra, or stack offensive classes without giving a second though to team composition, or literally follow my team off the side of a cliff or etc, etc, any other stupid free weekenders poo poo I saw, etc. It doesn't matter at this point.

But still, given that other people here seem to have had a good experience with the free weekend, I'm willing to chalk it up to a combination of streak of poo poo luck and a bad way of approaching a game full of free weekend newbies (and also a stubbornness to not change off Anna because Anna is fuuuuuuun). Next time, I'll focus on playing 76 or Roadhog or some other more self-reliant hero, and actually put a bit of effort into putting together a group to play with.

You buncha nerds convinced me to give it another go.

Roger Explosion fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Nov 22, 2016

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Roger Explosion posted:

I have done a bit of comp and lobbies though. I got into that because of that plateau of skill that comes from being too good for pubs, but too poo poo for comp. I'm not pretending I wasn't anything better than a noob with Overwatch though. That's the exact mindset I had going into it: "I'm a noob. I don't have Overwatch-related experience. Try to apply what you know and be prepared to suck!" It's just that I was consistently on teams of folks who didn't even have 'average' basics down. I might be new to Overwatch, but I know enough to not leave a point we're defending en masse to chase down one Sombra, or stack offensive classes without giving a second though to team composition, or literally follow my team off the side of a cliff or etc, etc, any other stupid free weekenders poo poo I saw, etc. It doesn't matter at this point.

But still, given that other people here seem to have had a good experience with the free weekend, I'm willing to chalk it up to a combination of streak of poo poo luck and a bad way of approaching a game full of free weekend newbies (and also a stubbornness to not change off Anna because Anna is fuuuuuuun). Next time, I'll focus on playing 76 or Roadhog or some other more self-reliant hero, and actually put a bit of effort into putting together a group to play with.

You buncha nerds convinced me to give it another go.

For what it's worth Ana is very good, but she's also maybe not the best if you're playing with an uncoordinated team that's just casually loving around. Zenyatta is another support that does double duty as DPS and you can play him a bit more "selfishly" in the sense that you can focus on discording people and smacking them in the face with your balls so long as you occasionally keep an orb of harmony on anyone who's diving into trouble and hit Q whenever you hear angry shouting in Japanese.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

Kai Tave posted:

For what it's worth Ana is very good, but she's also maybe not the best if you're playing with an uncoordinated team that's just casually loving around. Zenyatta is another support that does double duty as DPS and you can play him a bit more "selfishly" in the sense that you can focus on discording people and smacking them in the face with your balls so long as you occasionally keep an orb of harmony on anyone who's diving into trouble
The more I think about it, the more I think I probably would have done better with 76 as well. He seems like he'd be good for your basic FPS player but with a sprinkling of team support that I love playing.

gently caress. Next time.

quote:

and hit Q whenever you hear angry shouting in Japanese.
This poo poo is genuinely terrifying when you are new to this game let me tell you.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
I did buy Overwatch.
The Origins edition, in fact. It was cheaper than the regular game.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I did it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9H59EyROCQ

:wth:

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
I've been experiencing a lot of frame drops since the update, has anyone else had this problem? I've also updated my video drivers a couple times too, so i'm not sure if it's the game or my drivers.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Mister Fister posted:

I've been experiencing a lot of frame drops since the update, has anyone else had this problem? I've also updated my video drivers a couple times too, so i'm not sure if it's the game or my drivers.

I went in after the patch and found that my texture setting had been put on High while everything else was Low. (I'd set everything to Low but only through the top-level option.)

So either the patch hosed up performance (and Low settings doesn't include textures for some reason) or it reset textures, and only textures, to High.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I went in after the patch and found that my texture setting had been put on High while everything else was Low. (I'd set everything to Low but only through the top-level option.)

So either the patch hosed up performance (and Low settings doesn't include textures for some reason) or it reset textures, and only textures, to High.

Ah yeah it reset some graphics settings, BLIZZZZZZARRDDDDDDDDDD :argh:

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

ApplesandOranges posted:

My sniping is pretty bad so sadly no Hanzo for me.

Simple Geometry(aim for the feet with scatter)

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I've never had framerate issues but OW has always been a huge memory hog for me. Unless I close pretty much everything else including my browser, the game'll quickly eat all of my physical memory and start loading real slow to the point that sometimes the character models remain invisible for a good while into the match.

Makes for good anti-Sombra practice though.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
Soldier can carry real fuckin' hard right now. I foresee a re-nerfing soonish. When played at his optimal range he can melt pretty much anything and his only real vulnerability is massive burst damage like a Hanzo or Widow pick. And a lot of people don't seem to have worked it out yet, he's still not in demand so I've been scooping him up and pulling 4 golds most games.

Widowmaker is back to being incredibly annoying. Both because she's awful to play against if the player is decent, and because she still contributes very little to your team unless the player is godlike. And there's one or two in every game right now.

One hero limit in QP is very nice but it hasn't helped the 'everyone plays DPS' syndrome much.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I don't think they can nerf his gun again without making him bad again tbh. don't really think he needs a nerf tho. let him be good for the first time, he's earned it

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
im not your friend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gq0kOAdyqUo

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Mister Fister posted:

I must be having a unique issue, I have to set things on low to get a manageable framerate. I can run things like Doom2016 on high without a hitch. I may try to reinstall drivers, I guess.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Manatee Cannon posted:

I don't think they can nerf his gun again without making him bad again tbh. don't really think he needs a nerf tho. let him be good for the first time, he's earned it

Soldier got a +30 DPS increase and a minor spread adjustment for the worse (2.4 as opposed to 2.2 for whatever those values mean). So that's what the devs have to work with, a margin of 30 damage or 3 damage per bullet. Before he was doing 170 and was basically picked less the better people got. So they don't have a ton of room for adjustment since I'm pretty sure they aren't going to go into fractional damage per individual bullet. Tweaking his firing rate is essentially the same as bringing his DPS down, I guess it puts more emphasis on each individual round, but on the whole if they nerf Soldier's damage again then I expect him to drop back down into the never-used trenches because McCree still exists.

I've seen a number of people suggest that the best thing that they could do to rebalance Soldier would be to simply give him his original spread pattern back but that's not going to happen because Blizzard doesn't want people making a two-second macro to get one click no-spread autofire but it would also be a bad idea because it wouldn't actually make Soldier good again. Soldier's biggest period of use did in fact coincide with his original spread, but the more important factor in play at the time is that he was played more when McCree had been nerfed into uselessness. After Blizzard (wisely) nerfed original flavor Fan the Hammer McCree was suddenly garbage...fan was pointless, but his M1 wasn't great either, it had poor range that limited his usefulness and since McCree doesn't have any mobility he was easily ganked, and his only saving grace was his flashbang. So people who wanted reliable hitscan DPS turned to the only real option the game had for them that wasn't Widowmaker.

On the flipside a lot of people talk up the change to Soldier's spread like it's what crippled him but honestly it's more that suddenly McCree got good again and if you're a good hitscan player then you'd rather have the guy who does high burst damage than the guy who does autofire damage, especially in a game where most teams at a competitive level have two healers. McCree secures kills faster than Soldier can. Maybe you could argue that if his spread allowed him to do the original headshot bursting that he could be competitive but McCree would still be better and Soldier would still be an also-ran.

Meanwhile I'm not sure what else you might buff about him if you reverted his M1 damage. Shaving a second or two off his rocket's cooldown would be nice, making his biotic field a bit better would be...okay, but honestly neither of those really sound like they'd do much to make him a great pick instead of, y'know, being better at killing things which he is now.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011
I just learned something amazing,

November 20th 1998 - the First module for the ISS blasted into orbit from russia

- The module is called Zarya

On November 20, 1998 the very first module of the ISS, renamed Zarya instead of the Functional Cargo Block, blasted into orbit from Russia, followed by a second module two weeks later. It wasn't until November 2, 2000 that humans moved on board – and have never left since – but NASA counts its birthday from the Zarya launch.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
It's really hard trying to keep a straight face when you have a bad friend saying they're only stuck in silver because of "bad pubs" and that's why they can't play with me.

I've never had my friends be interested in the same comp games as me before (or they'd be interested and only play casuals) so its really weird seeing the "blame other people" thing from people I actually like.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

dogstile posted:

It's really hard trying to keep a straight face when you have a bad friend saying they're only stuck in silver because of "bad pubs" and that's why they can't play with me.

I've never had my friends be interested in the same comp games as me before (or they'd be interested and only play casuals) so its really weird seeing the "blame other people" thing from people I actually like.

I never really did much online competitive gaming until recently but if there's one thing I've picked up on real quick it's that no matter how many times you demonstrate that ELO Hell is a myth people will continue to insist that the only reason they're at the rank they're at is because of everyone else holding them back instead of their own skill level.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Reinhardt's usefulness scales proportionately with the trust between him and his team. This works both ways; a Reinhardt who doesn't trust his team to get things done will spend too much time trying to go HAM and not enough being a mobile fortress, and a team who doesn't trust their Reinhardt enough won't get behind him when he does put his shield up because they expect it to drop at the worst possible moment.

welp now i know what goes wrong well i play rein

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Kai Tave posted:

I never really did much online competitive gaming until recently but if there's one thing I've picked up on real quick it's that no matter how many times you demonstrate that ELO Hell is a myth people will continue to insist that the only reason they're at the rank they're at is because of everyone else holding them back instead of their own skill level.

Exactly, its completely possible to climb your way out, you just need to carry.

That and stop playing Rein. As soon as you play Rein you're putting faith in your team, you can't carry like that.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Kai Tave posted:

Soldier got a +30 DPS increase and a minor spread adjustment for the worse (2.4 as opposed to 2.2 for whatever those values mean). So that's what the devs have to work with, a margin of 30 damage or 3 damage per bullet. Before he was doing 170 and was basically picked less the better people got. So they don't have a ton of room for adjustment since I'm pretty sure they aren't going to go into fractional damage per individual bullet. Tweaking his firing rate is essentially the same as bringing his DPS down, I guess it puts more emphasis on each individual round, but on the whole if they nerf Soldier's damage again then I expect him to drop back down into the never-used trenches because McCree still exists.

Soldier is scary in the hands of good players now, but it still feels good to go up against him because you aren't being bursted down in two shots Mcree style.

Also I'm glad Freeplay weekend is over, so many lvl 1-20 accounts that were tracking players through walls, though surprisingly I didn't see any aimbots. And also all the twink accounts for rank 3000+ players to practice their Widow. It's been hell on earth.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I haven't unlocked Competitive yet, does it have less people insisting on playing attack heroes on defence? I really like Quick Play, but it's frustrating picking first, then having the team fill out with 0 tanks and 0 healers.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Started my placements this sitting. 5 games in, three have had an aimbot on the enemy team. This last game had a group of five aimbots for christ sake.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

well why not posted:

I haven't unlocked Competitive yet, does it have less people insisting on playing attack heroes on defence? I really like Quick Play, but it's frustrating picking first, then having the team fill out with 0 tanks and 0 healers.

Offense/Defense characters have nothing to do with playing attack or defense and all of the defense characters other than mei kinda suck

You'll still get 4 dps slam picks in every mode and every help tho

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

I love S76 right now, I might consider uninstall if they throw him back in poo poo tier again :colbert:

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

BurritoJustice posted:

Started my placements this sitting. 5 games in, three have had an aimbot on the enemy team. This last game had a group of five aimbots for christ sake.

Are you sure they're not just good at aiming

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Thor-Stryker posted:

Soldier is scary in the hands of good players now, but it still feels good to go up against him because you aren't being bursted down in two shots Mcree style.

Also I'm glad Freeplay weekend is over, so many lvl 1-20 accounts that were tracking players through walls, though surprisingly I didn't see any aimbots. And also all the twink accounts for rank 3000+ players to practice their Widow. It's been hell on earth.

I normally play on console, and tried out PC on the free weekend. Playing widow at low levels is easier than Duck Hunt, there's no practice involved in shooting guys who stay out in the open, can't harass you and never run tanks.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

Are you sure they're not just good at aiming

snap 100% accuracy headshots, so yes

E: to clarify it's the same three dudes. Main guy's name is permaban and they're all talking trash in the chat about it and not even trying to not be blatant.

BurritoJustice fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Nov 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Is it worth it to at least place in competitive for the seasonal reward? I'm not really sure I want to get into competitive but the completionist in me almost wants to unlock some golden guns.