Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Historically, real estate has pretty much always gone up in value. Which is why real estate has always been considered a good investment. It can't be destroyed (well, except for Love Canal/Chernobyl type events), and pretty much always at least paces inflation.

You buy something, you hold onto it for a long time (living in it or not) then you sell it for more money, it was an investment. Even if it loses money, it was still an investment. Just a bad one.

Thing is "holding on to it" means you have to sink money into repairs and poo poo to maintain the value of the investment. Houses are constantly under attack from the elements and repairs can get very expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

If you are buying a piece of property where the house vastly out prices the land you may be investing poorly.

The house doesn't gain value only the land does.

Ormy
Apr 5, 2005
loving goons. Nice house.

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.

Ormy posted:

No matter what nice things happen, there will always be people on the Internet ready to poo poo on you. Just thank the gods pcos bill didn't chime in.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Just bought the latest Cards Against Humanity expansion. It looks like what they've done is combined the first three and second three expansions each into their own big pack and reduced the price to $20, then created a new one the same size as three previous ones and that's $20 too. Threw in the Trump cards since we'll unfortunately get some mileage out of those now.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jerry Cotton posted:

If you consider things that you buy that will be sold once you're dead and in hell an investment, you're an idiot though.

Most people will sell their house before they die.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

PerrineClostermann posted:

Most people will sell their house before they die.

Maybe in idiot clown country.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

Ormy posted:

This.

Content:

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

betterinsodapop posted:

Content:

lovely investment, sad.

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

djfooboo posted:

Babby's first home :woop:

3 Bedroom, 2.5 Bath, 0.40 Acres in a historic district

Congrats on your new home! Does being in a historic district affect what you can do with the house?

I know when I was in Maine historic district meant certain paint colors on the outside, etc.

Congrats again!

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

djfooboo posted:

lovely investment, sad.
I'm expecting a huge fecal return on this investment.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jerry Cotton posted:

Maybe in idiot clown country.

You mean the civilized parts of the world?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

PerrineClostermann posted:

You mean the civilized parts of the world?

Dunno, who's your next president?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Cholula is the best hot sauce

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

This is a dumb derail, but every hot sauce has its purpose. Texas Pete for reheated pizza; Cholula for hard boiled eggs, Sriracha for Asian noodles, etc.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jerry Cotton posted:

Dunno, who's your next president?

Not a politician, thank god.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Salary came in so I ordered a book.

It's the only one I've never read in English.

e: Not the only book in the world I've never read in English.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Six contracts later I think I finally have a lease on a new Hyundai Genesis G90.

It's a nice boat car.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

George H.W. oval office posted:

Cholula is the best hot sauce

Cholula is pretty loving good, and the girl on the label is nice to look at...

I like to pretend I'm married to her and we have a hot pepper farm in Mejico :unsmith: while I eat my lonely meals

Also trader joe's has a good green sauce called green dragon

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Cholula is a delicious sauce but I wish it was a little hotter.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

It's no Tapatio.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Cholula + BBQ Pop Chips. You'll thank me later.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Mu Zeta posted:

Cholula is a delicious sauce but I wish it was a little hotter.

Agreed. The chipotle isn't hotter but the smokier flavor is real nice.

I bought a knife. Just a simple pocket one.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Believe In Yrself Betty posted:

Congrats on your new home! Does being in a historic district affect what you can do with the house?

I have to submit exterior changes to the board, but they are interested in preservation like I am so it's no biggie. Considering this is a newer build (1960's) for the neighborhood they probably won't care as much about my house as the do the old mansions.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

djfooboo posted:

I have to submit exterior changes to the board, but they are interested in preservation like I am so it's no biggie. Considering this is a newer build (1960's) for the neighborhood they probably won't care as much about my house as the do the old mansions.

I'm sure all the euro-goons just snicker at us when we talk about preserving historical things from way back in the 20th century.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

davebo posted:

historical things from way back in the 20th century.

We have those things too actually. Check this historical house from 1968

It has it's own charm but I tend to prefer buildings from before WWII where I live (before the widespread use of concrete post war). They tend to age better

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

We have those things too actually. Check this historical house from 1968

It has it's own charm but I tend to prefer buildings from before WWII where I live (before the widespread use of concrete post war). They tend to age better

Jesus, from the first photo I thought it was a slowly collapsing wreck.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

spookygonk posted:

Jesus, from the first photo I thought it was a slowly collapsing wreck.

...isn't it?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Everything is a slowly collapsing wreck.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Cool concept but holy hell that must be one cold house in the winter and an oven in the summer.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Doom Rooster posted:

mylife.txt

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Doom Rooster posted:

No entropy-shaming.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

1redflag posted:

This is a dumb derail, but every hot sauce has its purpose. Texas Pete for reheated pizza; Cholula for hard boiled eggs, Sriracha for Asian noodles, etc.
I actually agree with there being a hot sauce for specific purposes. Cholula is good on Mexican food and eggs. I used to gently caress w/Texas Pete a bit, but lean more toward Frank's Red Hot for pizza, wings, and poo poo like that. My all time favorite hot sauce is called "Moko Jumbie," but I've only ever seen it for sale in New Orleans. Obviously, Crystal is great on Southern/Soul food. /derail

content: cup of coffee from Tim Horton's

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Bought Thanksgiving last night. It's gonna rule.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I finally bought 2 smart devices to use with my samsung smartthings hub.

GE smart dim-capable switches

No longer will I be forced to walk to my basement to turn off the lights for the evening. Phew, what a relief.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

dreesemonkey posted:

I finally bought 2 smart devices to use with my samsung smartthings hub.

GE smart dim-capable switches

No longer will I be forced to walk to my basement to turn off the lights for the evening. Phew, what a relief.

But if you weren't already down there, why were the lights on in your basement? Or are the only switches to your main living space lights located in the basement?

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Aramek posted:

Bought Thanksgiving last night.

drat.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

davebo posted:

But if you weren't already down there, why were the lights on in your basement? Or are the only switches to your main living space lights located in the basement?

Oh I usually run to the basement at least once an evening to do laundry, grab something from the freezer / beer fridge and then don't turn the lights off, or remember if I turned the lights off.

Tomorrow the Google Home assistant thing is going on sale for $100, I think I'm going to attempt to buy one of those as well to enable voice commands. Then I can really be a lazy rear end in a top hat.

pfs Write
Jun 29, 2014

get/save/remove

Jerry Cotton posted:

Remind me again which Dreamcast games actually worth playing are not already cheaply available for better systems?

cannon spike

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterslide Industry Lobbyist
Jun 18, 2003

ANYONE WANT SOME BARBECUE?

Lipstick Apathy
I bought the Hogwarts Express to put under our Christmas tree