Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Graff
May 10, 2012

Plorkyeran posted:

what changed is that british metal isn't really a thing anymore

something something steel industry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
Many wiki articles are too complex. As a person with a computer science degree, i still often find pages about comp sci concepts that border on unreadable. Just formulas everywhere with lousy summaries

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

true enough, otoh the expectation of everything being explainable to a layman in an elevator pitch is a bit of a sickness of our times, i nearly went mad after my phd with people demanding an explanation of what my research was about and frowning deeply when the explanation wasn't to their liking

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

true enough, otoh the expectation of everything being explainable to a layman in an elevator pitch is a bit of a sickness of our times, i nearly went mad after my phd with people demanding an explanation of what my research was about and frowning deeply when the explanation wasn't to their liking

maybe if you could explain it properly people would be interested, and would pursue education themselves

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
people are too concerned with straight up STEM and don't think of other things, and get surprised when people don't think the same way and so on and soforth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Z5_uHOONNE

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

SmokaDustbowl posted:

maybe if you could explain it properly people would be interested, and would pursue education themselves

my contention is that there is no "explain it properly" unless i can have ~45 minutes (and doing it in that time involves a rather practiced chain of explanations, and certainly requires some focus to follow), but people expect the elevator pitch thing which will not communicate anything

it is unclear what basis there is for this "proper explanation" necessarily existing for everything

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

my contention is that there is no "explain it properly" unless i can have ~45 minutes (and doing it in that time involves a rather practiced chain of explanations, and certainly requires some focus to follow), but people expect the elevator pitch thing which will not communicate anything

it is unclear what basis there is for this "proper explanation" necessarily existing for everything

so what do you study?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

this was in automata theory

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

this was in automata theory

that didn't take 45 min, just go with that

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i think it is implicit in the question about my research that people are wishing to get an inkling about what my research actually produced, rather than to get a mundane fact about me

i'd hope at least

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

the thing that drives me crazy is stuff like this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boyce%E2%80%93Codd_normal_form

I remembered a few weeks ago "Hey, Boyce-Codd Normal Form is an important thing about databases I learned in college, but I've forgotten exactly what it is. I will look at the Wikipedia article"

Hmmm...this is effectively gibberish, and it's a thing I used to know. If it can't even offer a refresher to a person who used to somewhat understand it, who exactly is helped by this page?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

yeah, that article is really badly written, i too have known boyce-codd off-hand and the article does little to remind me what the logic behind it was. it even veers off and talks about how to improve a random schema in a way *not* consistent with boyce-codd towards the end?!

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Wangs

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no
Can't be all that complicated if it's automatic

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

i think it is implicit in the question about my research that people are wishing to get an inkling about what my research actually produced, rather than to get a mundane fact about me

i'd hope at least

just tell them to read that science book by the mathematica guy and mutter something about the game of life

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ahhhhh, academia

the ability to take a complicated topic and produce explanations suited to a variety of levels is an extremely important skill in education, and unfortunately also quite rare.

the people who want the elevator pitch don't care about if it's a "proper" explanation, they want a comprehensible sound bite. pick a potential outcome of your research and give them that. "i worked on math that could help robots more easily sort objects by shape" or whatever.

think of how you learned about atoms through grade school

2nd grade: "atoms are the tiniest things that make up all matter"
4th grade: "actually, atoms are made of combinations of positive protons and negative electrons and neutral neutrons."
6th grade: "actually the particles aren't just floating there, the protons and neutrons make the nucleus, and the electrons orbit around it."
8th grade: "actually the orbits don't all spin around at the same level, they group into specific bunches that orbit in shells around the nucleus."
10th grade: "actually the shells aren't shells at all, they are these areas shaped like barbells and donuts"
12th grade: "actually the funny areas don't describe any sort of path for the electrons, they're just a graph of the probability of finding an electron in that space at any given time"

all of those are true, and appropriate to the audience. some are closer to the truth than others. you pick which one your audience will understand and don't sweat whether it's "proper"

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

yeah, you have to start at or around the simplest explanation and then build up if people have questions. probably half of people won't push back at all, but if they ask questions you can advance the complexity based on how knowledgeable the question was.

this is called conversation fyi

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
maybe just relate your research to something cool and popular that everyone loves, like cat memes?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

theflyingexecutive posted:

this is called conversation fyi

well poo poo

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

except in a lot of theory work simplifications will almost always be oversimplifications, the details matter, and even the 45 minute version by necessity has to build up a broader idea from smaller pieces, rather than try to make overarching statements which can be refined

e: this'll become a rather too serious derail, i do respect your views, but still feel that the length of an acceptable explanation has plummeted too far

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Nov 22, 2016

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I can and have talked about my neuroscience research in one easily digestible sentence up to a two hour informal lecture.

some people ask what you do because it's the conversational path of least resistance, some people ask because they're really interested, some people ask to try to one up you. if your answer for all of these people is the same "well I can't just explain it in five minutes" and you launch into a half an hour monologue trying to condense a whole degree's worth of knowledge into one unbroken stream of consciousness, you have some degree of autism.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I don't know why you have some "ideal" length of discourse in an informal situation. absolutely nobody is going to say "hey automata theory is really simple" and then attribute a bunch of incorrect quotes to you. there isn't enough space in anyone's brain to learn enough for an hour's worth of knowledge on everybody's profession, much less research area and everybody knows this. so when somebody asks you what you do and you start to spin up a diatribe about data structures or whatev the gently caress and they're still confused and frustrated that you can't bring it to their level of understanding, you come off like an elitist rear end in a top hat.

I talked with a bunch of astrophysicists trying to get a simons fdn fellowship and they were absolutely incapable of understanding this basic human interaction and really dismissive of my work because of my affiliation with a public school (they were Oxford, Cambridge, Harvard, et al). so the end result is that they didn't listen to what I had to say and I couldn't even process what they had to say and there was nothing of value gained.

fwiw, trump was voted in by a massive segment of our population who feel they are constantly talked down to and the attitude of "I can't explain what I do in only five minutes" is condescending and gross

Graff
May 10, 2012

theflyingexecutive posted:

I can and have talked about my neuroscience research in one easily digestible sentence up to a two hour informal lecture.

mega agreed, but eventually I just started saying I used to be a rat catcher tbh

Graff
May 10, 2012

this isn't a joke. i realised it had gone too far when some guy in a bar was like "so how did you get into technology from pest control?"

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i mean, as a thought experiment, inspired by your comment about atoms: how would one teach children mathematics by in first grade giving a digestible intuitive description of solving quadratic equations, and then filling in the details over time? one likely should make that combinatorial game theory or something slightly nastier to put it more on an reasonable even footing to understanding the atom, but no need to make it overly difficult up front

i can understand it being workable in proper science, in that a clear underlying hypothesis is actually core to the way it is done (and there is usually a history of such hypothesis to draw upon), but in e.g. mathematics, philosophy, and no doubt many other areas i am struggling to make it work

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Nov 22, 2016

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

12th grade: "actually the funny areas don't describe any sort of path for the electrons, they're just a graph of the probability of finding an electron in that space at any given time"

all of those are true, and appropriate to the audience. some are closer to the truth than others. you pick which one your audience will understand and don't sweat whether it's "proper"

there is also the fact that nobody actually knows the "proper" explanation yet because physics isn't finished

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

qntm posted:

there is also the fact that nobody actually knows the "proper" explanation yet because physics isn't finished

God knows u idiot

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
as a math person let me just say that we actively cultivate in students sperg-level attention to technical detail because even incredibly famous and brilliant people have been known to make errors by glossing over small assumptions in their proofs. the sperg culture of pure math and related fields like theoretical comp sci came about only when the deficiencies of the prevailing intuition based culture became untenable, not bc spergs gotta sperg. (altho nowadays it might draw spergy people to it by affinity)

that does tend to make one very uncomfortable with oversimplifying for the sake of tidy explanations, though. this is especially hard if the work itself is not immediately related to something understood by the general population. i mean it's often hard to neatly impress upon people the importance of basic math like trig and calculus, let alone automata theory or algebraic topology or whatever.

neuroscience for example clearly has many deeply technical and difficult challenges, but at least everyone can appreciate ultimate goals like "im trying to understand how x helps the brain stores memory" or "i'm trying to cure epilepsy" or whatever idk

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

except in a lot of theory work simplifications will almost always be oversimplifications, the details matter, and even the 45 minute version by necessity has to build up a broader idea from smaller pieces, rather than try to make overarching statements which can be refined

e: this'll become a rather too serious derail, i do respect your views, but still feel that the length of an acceptable explanation has plummeted too far

it's okay to oversimplify. your one sentence description could even be outright entirely wrong and have no connection whatsoever to your actual work and still be useful. i don't even work on anything particularly esoteric and when non-technical people ask me what i do it usually takes a few followup questions to get to an answer that isn't outright wrong or oversimplified to the point of meaninglessness because 90% of the people asking aren't actually interested in an answer beyond "computer things"

the purpose of an elevator pitch is to tell the asker whether or not they actually want to learn more about your thing, not to actually convey any information about that thing

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

if your topic is something in pure math that doesn't have an easily comprehensible explanation, like, say, the riemann-zeta function, you can come up with a real-world application that could conceivably be improved by your research. like "well, i study math that helps describe attraction between objects at extremely tiny scales" (the casimir effect). that's technically correct and gives the other person an opportunity to either engage further or to glaze over and change the topic.

itt: how to have a conversation like a normal human being you loving nerds

if your topic literally has no relevance to any conceivable real world application, well, go huff your own farts some more, cause probably no one actually does care about it in that case

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

yeah if you can't come up with the real world applications of your research, look at your grant app. there's a whole section just for that

jesus

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

as a math person let me just say that we actively cultivate in students sperg-level attention to technical detail because even incredibly famous and brilliant people have been known to make errors by glossing over small assumptions in their proofs. the sperg culture of pure math and related fields like theoretical comp sci came about only when the deficiencies of the prevailing intuition based culture became untenable, not bc spergs gotta sperg. (altho nowadays it might draw spergy people to it by affinity)

that does tend to make one very uncomfortable with oversimplifying for the sake of tidy explanations, though. this is especially hard if the work itself is not immediately related to something understood by the general population. i mean it's often hard to neatly impress upon people the importance of basic math like trig and calculus, let alone automata theory or algebraic topology or whatever.

neuroscience for example clearly has many deeply technical and difficult challenges, but at least everyone can appreciate ultimate goals like "im trying to understand how x helps the brain stores memory" or "i'm trying to cure epilepsy" or whatever idk

it's great to have that attention to detail but the people paying and hiring you will likely never understand every specific detail you possess and getting that paper will involve having to explain what you do to less-technical or even (gasp!) a layperson

Graff
May 10, 2012

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

nah fam we just had too many rats

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

grant-driven soundbyte research is certainly sounding like an excellent ideal, hopefully i'll get to be interviewed by a tabloid about my take on the latest health scare one of these days~~

Graff
May 10, 2012

grant-driven soundbyte research is certainly sounding like an excellent ideal, hopefully i'll get to be interviewed by a tabloid about my take on the latest health scare one of these days~~

settle down poindexter. we get it. you don't have to explain your deep thoughts to us normies, and it was wrong of us to ask. just try not to bourbaki the everloving piss out of wiki pages we might actually need to use, m'kay

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

try to imagine explaining your research to your grandmother, and every time you act like a condescending prick she smiles sadly and says "oh, i guess i'm just not very smart"

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

lmao what the hell is wrong with you cybernetic vermin

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Sagebrush posted:

if your topic literally has no relevance to any conceivable real world application, well, go huff your own farts some more, cause probably no one actually does care about it in that case

yeah, only loving nerds enjoy something for it's abstract beauty, the only worthwhile thing is raw utility

*posts 50 threads in computer forum about johnny ive's amazing industrial design*

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
funny, computer,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Graff posted:

this isn't a joke. i realised it had gone too far when some guy in a bar was like "so how did you get into technology from pest control?"

sometimes the answers just come to you i guess