Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gizmoduck_5000
Oct 6, 2013

Your superior intellect is no match for our primitive weapons!

punk rebel ecks posted:

Nobody under 40 gives a poo poo about radio.

There are a number of fire-breathing liberal podcasts, but only fire-breathing liberals listen to them.

The goal is to reach out to the 49% of the country who didn't vote, and sell them on progressive values, but we don't have anything nearly as effective as the rightwing propaganda machine. I mean jesus christ, Trump's supporters called Hillary the most corrupt person ever to run for office, while the orange one's many, many, many ethically questionable and probably illegal dealings fell on completely deaf ears. At this point, all we have is idealism and it isn't enough. We need political skullduggery like the GOP's redmap bullshit and the Hillary witch hunt. We need to do to the 1% what the rightwing media machine has done to immigrants and Muslims.

Gizmoduck_5000 has issued a correction as of 07:28 on Nov 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

anime was right posted:

how does it feel

being alone in the universe

Nice, actually. I have Bob Uecker telling jokes right now!

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

iospace posted:

Nice, actually. I have Bob Uecker telling jokes right now!

keeping distant company

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Gizmoduck_5000 posted:

There are a number of fire-breathing liberal podcasts, but only fire-breathing liberals listen to them.

The goal is to reach out to the 49% of the country who didn't vote, and sell them on progressive values, and we don't have anything nearly as effective as the rightwing propaganda machine. I mean jesus christ, his supporters called Hillary the most corrupt person ever to run for office, while Trump's many, many, many ethically questionable dealings fell on completely deaf ears. At this point, all we have is idealism and it isn't enough. We need political skullduggery like the GOP's redmap bullshit and the Hillary witch hunt. We need to do to the 1% what the rightwing media machine has done to immigrants and Muslims.

Now tayne I can get into

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Gizmoduck_5000 posted:

The goal is to reach out to the 49% of the country who didn't vote, and sell them on progressive values, but we don't have anything nearly as effective as the rightwing propaganda machine. I mean jesus christ, Trump's supporters called Hillary the most corrupt person ever to run for office, while the orange one's many, many, many ethically questionable and probably illegal dealings fell on completely deaf ears. At this point, all we have is idealism and it isn't enough. We need political skullduggery like the GOP's redmap bullshit and the Hillary witch hunt. We need to do to the 1% what the rightwing media machine has done to immigrants and Muslims.

The conservative movement was successful because they target what conservative learners and potential conservative leaners indulge. Talk radio and broadcast TV. A counter movement for the left needs to target things like Youtube, Twitter, Facebook, Reddit, and Netflix and what not for the same effect. Put the media where the potential market gets their media.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

punk rebel ecks posted:

Nobody under 40 gives a poo poo about radio.

I do college radio and this is pretty true like our main demographic is definitely not our fellow college students lol

Gizmoduck_5000
Oct 6, 2013

Your superior intellect is no match for our primitive weapons!

punk rebel ecks posted:

The conservative movement was successful because they target what conservative learners and potential conservative leaners indulge. Talk radio and broadcast TV. A counter movement for the left needs to target things like Youtube, Twitter, Facebook, Reddit, and Netflix and what not for the same effect. Put the media where the potential market gets their media.

Open forums don't really work for that kind of movement; they'll just get flooded with alt-right shitlords. The best we've got is comedy news shows like the Daily Show and Last Week Tonight.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gizmoduck_5000 posted:

Open forums don't really work for that kind of movement; they'll just get flooded with alt-right shitlords. The best we've got is comedy news shows like the Daily Show and Last Week Tonight.

That creepy fascist rally held today called out John Oliver which I found disturbing and funny at the same time.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
oh look, the right is now trying to ratfuck keith ellison out of dnc chair

honestly i dont give a gently caress if he was associated with the nation of islam clowns, they haven't been relevant for decades, let the right play identity politics and let ellison keep bringing things back to economic policy

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Gizmoduck_5000 posted:

That needs to change. Things like The Young Turks, strong twitter personalties (can't believe I'm saying this), and left leaning Netflix shows are mandatory.

Phobophilia posted:

oh look, the right is now trying to ratfuck keith ellison out of dnc chair

honestly i dont give a gently caress if he was associated with the nation of islam clowns, they haven't been relevant for decades, let the right play identity politics and let ellison keep bringing things back to economic policy

I was under the impression that Ellison was traditional Muslim.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Gizmoduck_5000 posted:

Honestly, Jon Stewart coming back to TV would be helpful. Comedy and satire are potent weapons just because of their ability to influence attitudes. Trevor Noah and SNL aren't going to cut it.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

navyjack posted:

Honestly, Jon Stewart coming back to TV would be helpful. Comedy and satire are potent weapons just because of their ability to influence attitudes. Trevor Noah and SNL aren't going to cut it.

just please, keep jon away from summerslam

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
he has briefly associated with them in the past, kinda supported them when he was in college, and denounced them afterwards as anti-semitic

its a standard false equivalency bullshit being peddled between bannon and ellison, just as what happened with trump and clinton

at this point i dont give a gently caress about false equivalencies anymore, they're going to find one anyway, just find a good message, let that poo poo bounce off and find a message that really hurts these fuckers

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

navyjack posted:

Daily Show is terrible. We need a Chapo Trap House television show.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

Segmentation Fault posted:

Daily Show is terrible. We need a Chapo Trap House television show.

I don't know whether this would be amazing or terrible but yeah get on this poo poo

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

punk rebel ecks posted:

That needs to change. Things like The Young Turks, strong twitter personalties (can't believe I'm saying this), and left leaning Netflix shows are mandatory.

i agree with the idea of this but TYT are garbage and I hate all of them

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Houston, we're Havana problem.
The Young Turks is basically that SNL Bubble skit. Like, we need media that doesn't appeal to moderation when some guy says that Jews aren't human but we can do better than TYT.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
They need memes, thankfully, Bernie Sanders has memes for days.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

lena dunham is the only celebrity we need.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

Studio posted:

lena dunham is the only celebrity we need.

Lena Dunham and the Clinton family should be out under house arrest until Nov. 9 2020.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

navyjack posted:

I don't watch Noah anymore, but my perception when I did was that Noah had a hard time getting worked up over dumb American poo poo because he grew up in South Africa and thought our political and cultural issues were quaint by comparison. Has he changed any? Did they ever give Jessica Williams her own show? She could probably do the concept of the Daily Show justice, even though she felt she didn't have the experience for it when Stewart left.

Ace of Baes posted:

They need memes, thankfully, Bernie Sanders has memes for days.

Trump is a powerful meme wizard, but Bernie can summon nature to make his sick memes.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Not a Step posted:

I don't watch Noah anymore, but my perception when I did was that Noah had a hard time getting worked up over dumb American poo poo because he grew up in South Africa and thought our political and cultural issues were quaint by comparison. Has he changed any? Did they ever give Jessica Williams her own show? She could probably do the concept of the Daily Show justice, even though she felt she didn't have the experience for it when Stewart left.

Trump is a powerful meme wizard, but Bernie can summon nature to make his sick memes.

Not to whatever, but Jon Stewart quitting before this election was like....sports metaphor of your choice. He should have waited a year.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

navyjack posted:

Not to whatever, but Jon Stewart quitting before this election was like....sports metaphor of your choice. He should have waited a year.

I get why though. Stewart and his team built their brand on the 2000 election. By handing the show off to Noah before the election year he was trying to give him enough time to find his stride and then make his mark with the 2016 election.

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Having to do 4-a-week shows throughout 2016 would have broke Stewart's brain and he would have become Alex Jones-level raving madman. He earned his farm time.

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

And, honestly, we need something other than Stewart. He was what we needed in the Bush years but he, like most liberals, became too heavily invested in incrementalism and pragmatism and dabbled in "both are wrong" stuff a tad too much. Not to besmirch his good name but we need fresh blood and Noah isn't it.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
rite now its some british git and some african git making GBS threads in liberal america's open mouth
maddow is doing the daily show format while somehow still being labeled "journalism" which as a term (btw) doesn't carry more water than a teaspoon

can't believe we lost stewart, colbert and furguson roughly at the same time; biggest blow to comedy since all the funny fat guys died of mixing heroin and cocaine

Subjunctivitis
Oct 12, 2007
Causation or Correlation?

Fullhouse posted:

i agree with the idea of this but TYT are garbage and I hate all of them

I have a love/hate thing with TYT. I think most of their opinions are good and rehash a good amount of news topics, esp w/r/t the DemE and taking strong stances on social and economic issues so I watch them a lot for those. But I also find myself yelling at them to just "shut up now" ~50% of the time, usually at Cenk. Also, their "now now, this is how you guys should be protesting" is condescending and I think the methods they advocate aren't likely to achieve much of anything.

I used to like NPR for news, but it's so 40+-person-farting-into-their-comfy-chair-while-sipping-on-chamomile-tea kinda news coverage, I can't take it anymore, aside from This American Life, Wait Wati Don't Tell Me and All Things Considered.

I much prefer Democracy Now! and The Real News Network, but they don't engage too much in the punditry calls-to-action like TYT. I think Amy Goodman does a great job of reporting/interviewing/moderating. TRNN is Baltimore-based, so a lot of local news shows up there which can be a bit of a bear to sort through sometimes.

Joe Rogan's podcast can sometimes have good stuff, as well. I think he typically has the right idea and engages with his guests in a quality manner.

I'd personally like to see a show where Rania Khalek and Abby Martin go hog wild (as long as Abby curbs her conspiracy poo poo).

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Subjunctivitis posted:

I'd personally like to see a show where Rania Khalek and Abby Martin go hog wild (as long as Abby curbs her conspiracy poo poo).

And uh *wipes brow* what will be the footwear dresscode for this project?

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
MSNBC should just give the keepin it 1600 dudes a prime time show.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Ace of Baes posted:

MSNBC should just give the keepin it 1600 dudes a prime time show.

shaking my head so hard I'm getting whiplash

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I'm glad it's fine to be an ignorant moron now because I'm going to try to be an Assembly District Democratic delegate for California http://www.cadem.org/our-party/adem

Apparently you just get everyone registered D that you know to show up and vote for you, I'll let you know when you can all expect communism to start

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Ben Mankiewicz is the most important person at TYT but he can't keep them from going off the rails of every news segment they produce.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

It's Jimmy Dore, actually. :argh:

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
btw Baloogan you are awesome

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
its still extremely funny to me just how badly the democrats hosed up

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

http://observer.com/2016/11/bernie-sanders-says-dems-must-grow-out-of-identity-politics-rhetoric/

Comrade Sanders posted:

On November 21, Sen. Bernie Sanders suggested Democrats must go beyond the rhetoric of exploiting identity politics as a marketing strategy, and commit to making meaningful connections with diverse working and middle class voters.

“It’s not good enough for someone to say, ‘I’m a woman! Vote for me!” No, that’s not good enough. What we need is a woman who has the guts to stand up to Wall Street, to the insurance companies, to the drug companies, to the fossil fuel industry,” Sanders said at book tour stop in Boston. “We need candidates—black, white and Latino and gay and male, we need all of that. But we need all of those candidates and officials to have the guts to stand up to the oligarchy. That is the fight of today.”

:vince:

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Lemming posted:

I'm glad it's fine to be an ignorant moron now because I'm going to try to be an Assembly District Democratic delegate for California http://www.cadem.org/our-party/adem

Apparently you just get everyone registered D that you know to show up and vote for you, I'll let you know when you can all expect communism to start

what's your candidate statement gonna be

ChickenOfTomorrow has issued a correction as of 22:17 on Jan 21, 2017

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!

bernie not sparing anyone's feelings, this man is the best

:bernin:

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!

ps here's one of the author's recent tweets

https://twitter.com/MarcieBianco/status/800748023479435264

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Yeah, this is totally a tact that will work.

• Locked thread