Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
So when do they integrate into the Holy See?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Kopijeger posted:

Isn't it more like demoting Jesus from Lord of All Creation to the mere monarch of a temporal state? I suspect most Christians would find that blasphemous. Besides, who are they to decide what role(s) Jesus will play`?

Jesus Son of God is only a part of Ruler of all creation Trinity. I also think Almoghty Father is a ruler of the universe, or something.
Also Mary is a Queen of Poland already, probably since 1660' too.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Kopijeger posted:

Isn't it more like demoting Jesus from Lord of All Creation to the mere monarch of a temporal state? I suspect most Christians would find that blasphemous. Besides, who are they to decide what role(s) Jesus will play`?
It's like how Queen Elizabeth is also Duchess of Edinburgh.

Cat Mattress posted:

So when do they integrate into the Holy See?
Why would they integrate with heretics?

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Kopijeger posted:

he told them

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Actually, this seems kinda problematic. Jesus Christ is head of the Christian church, and thus the overlord of all Christians - including the heads of state of England, Denmark and Norway, and thus this is a direct attack on the sovereignty of those nations, demoting their rulers to mere dukes and duchesses under the sovereignty of the Polish king.

Believe it or not there is actually some concern about this among the catholics here. That's why it's not officially called "enthronement" - see, he's already king of all christians but just an "anniversary act of accepting Jesus as the king of Poland".

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

My mom told me today that Jupiter entering Virgo on the same day as Jesus becoming king is proof christianity is real

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

So Christians are practicing astrology? :raise:

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

So Christians are practicing astrology? :raise:

When I pointed that out she flipped out

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

So, Mary was proclaimed Queen of Poland 350 years ago, and now her son Jesus is proclaimed King of Poland? Making your own Habsburgs, are you?

Divine Habsburgs at that.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Stolen from the GBS eastern europe photo thread. https://forum.htka.hu/threads/admiral-kuznyecov-projekt-1143-5.101/page-8

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Estonia is cool country with a really pretty flag imo

the heat goes wrong
Dec 31, 2005
I´m watching you...

Farecoal posted:

Estonia is cool country with a really pretty flag imo

Whats so pretty about it?

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
The color combination

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

I heard they stole those fire engines from some Russian city's firefighter brigade because the Kuznetsov didn't have any fire suppression equipment before heading out to Syria.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

The best thing is that you can understand the shocked-but-snidy responses of Hungarian posters in the original forums even without speaking Hungarian. "Jesszusom, ezek a Titanic kazánjai?" Bemused horror is an universal language.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
estonia does have a very cool flag, and is a nice place

can someone explain, as if to a very dumb idiot (me), what is wrong with the second two of those pictures? i dont relaly know what im looking at....

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I'm not an expert, but the machinery in that last picture looks like something from the bad side of Silent Hill.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Swan Oat posted:

can someone explain, as if to a very dumb idiot (me), what is wrong with the second two of those pictures? i dont relaly know what im looking at....
Maybe the fact that people are inside a boiler, so it's not working. And they are cleaning it with a high-tech device (saw) in the next picture.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Swan Oat posted:

estonia does have a very cool flag, and is a nice place

It shows that the flagship of Russian fleets is basically in the same shape as a Zhiguli from the same time period, and mainly runs on duct tape and prayers.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

steinrokkan posted:

It shows that the flagship of Russian fleets is basically in the same shape as a Zhiguli from the same time period, and mainly runs on duct tape and prayers.

And here's the glorious result!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRVhCl02ssk

:ussr:

Max Manus
Oct 25, 2004

Saboteur par excellence.
Nap Ghost

steinrokkan posted:

Still don't understand why she has not been docked for a major refit.

Would think that the flagship of the Russian fleet being towed back home after a major engine failure is worse for Russian prestige than no carrier available for a while?

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Well apparently they were meaning to do that but then Syria came up and they simply can't pass the opportunity to play around with their toy and bomb some people. So they're gonna do it later.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
guessing that much black smoke is bad

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
I'm no expert on naval ships but I don't know any other ones that look like a volcanic eruption from space.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

According to Wikipedia it runs on gas, so who knows what's making it run with that much black smoke coming out of it and that's the problem, only aircraft carrier size. If she ran on diesel we could say she's rolling coal.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

^^^^^:argh:

That's the secret new coal-powered caterpillar propulsion

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Is advanced Russian cloaking device, do not steal.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

According to Wikipedia it runs on gas, so who knows what's making it run with that much black smoke coming out of it and that's the problem, only aircraft carrier size. If she ran on diesel we could say she's rolling coal.

The Russian Navy has a problem: it's a largely irrelevant military branch for a mostly landlocked continental power. Let's look at a map of Russia and her coasts.

Yeah. The only Russian port where the ships couldn't be easily blocked by other countries (that tend to be US allies, by the way) or by simple geography are in Kamchatka; and Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky is too small, too remote to have the infrastructure needed to take advantage of that anyway, so Russia's Pacific Fleet is instead based at Vladivostok.

So the Russian Navy has a long-term plan: get rid of icebergs to turn the arctic sea into a new Mediterranean, and then they'll be useful and Russia will want to use them to invade Canada. To pursue this bold plan, their flagship, the Admiral Kuznetsov, is tasked with emitting as much CO2 as all of China's factories together. They're not quite there yet, but they try, they definitely try.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

I found a comparison of boiler rooms of other two Kuznetsov-class carriers sold to India and China... those two were refurbished, but still...

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Nov 21, 2016

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

So the nationalist poo poo that burned a Jew in effigy in the middle of my city's market square last winter had his day in court and surprisingly he was actually sentenced to 10 months in prison which is a lot more than anyone expected. He then told the media that the Jews must control the courts too because a real Polish judge wouldn't give a patriot like him any prison or even find him guilty. :saddowns:

Now we'll see if the minister of justice lets the sentence stand or if he commutes it like he did for the nationalist who beat up a police officer.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

They just made a jew their official head of state, makes you think.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

They just made a jew their official head of state, makes you think.

technically he's been in charge of poland forever so the nutcases thinking jews are running the whole show are right

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Cat Mattress posted:

The Russian Navy has a problem: it's a largely irrelevant military branch for a mostly landlocked continental power. Let's look at a map of Russia and her coasts.

... They're not quite there yet, but they try, they definitely try.

https://twitter.com/ZLabe/status/800179367594688514

:stonklol:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Well, crud.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
so is this going to the year when everything floods?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

JFairfax posted:

so is this going to the year when everything floods?
June 2017: Greenland melts, drowning Bangladesh and large parts of New York and Tokyo. The Netherlands are evacuated.
December 2017: The West Antarctic Ice Sheet collapses, having been undermined by rising sea levels.
January 2019: The East Antarctic Ice Sheet begins collapsing
Bastille Day 2031: The Admiral Kuznetsov arrives at the steamy jungle port of Reims, to celebrate the coronation of Marine I, Restaurateur de la Liberté Française and the anniversary of the Dutch Refugee Act. In attendance are their imperial majesties, Nikolai I of All Russia and Ivanka I of America, as well as the heads of state of various minor polities like the dukes and counts of Germany.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

A Buttery Pastry posted:

June 2017: Greenland melts, drowning Bangladesh and large parts of New York and Tokyo. The Netherlands are evacuated.
December 2017: The West Antarctic Ice Sheet collapses, having been undermined by rising sea levels.
Bastille Day 2031: The Admiral Kuznetsov arrives at the steamy jungle port of Reims, to celebrate the coronation of Marine I, Restaurateur de la Liberté Française and the anniversary of the Dutch Refugee Act. In attendance are their imperial majesties, Nikolai I of All Russia and Ivanka I of America, as well as the heads of state of various minor polities like the dukes and counts of Germany.

I see Florida, Brazil and Argentina getting hosed in that picture, so it's not all bad.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Some island nations in the Pacific are just gone :(

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I've got a theory: someone claimed "sooner hell freezes over than Trump wins". Then the unthinkable happens and since you can't fool principles of thermodynamics all that heat has to go somewhere. :science:
Thanks Trump :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

alex314 posted:

I've got a theory: someone claimed "sooner hell freezes over than Trump wins". Then the unthinkable happens and since you can't fool principles of thermodynamics all that heat has to go somewhere. :science:
Thanks Trump :argh:

gently caress.