Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Star Man posted:

I sure do get upset when my $50 creatures die to bulk common removal.

Same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

80s James Hetfield posted:

I play that stupid UW Turbofog deck and never lose to Infect so it's cool if they keep BI, you guys should just play better decks!

:smug:

Pm me that decklist, please.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

got what he deserved, playing jtms in a memnite/ornithopter deck

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Elyv posted:

got what he deserved, playing jtms in a memnite/ornithopter deck

As much as I love them, no one has ever accused LRR of being top tier anythings.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Every once and a while someone leaves their stream in frustration because of suboptimal play/drafting and it's always bewildering.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
BFZ Gideon's going down in price once BFZ rotates, right? I keep wanting to pick one up for Modern and having to remind myself that he's a one-of in some Tokens and Jund lists and nothing else, and $30 is too high for that.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

C-Euro posted:

BFZ Gideon's going down in price once BFZ rotates, right? I keep wanting to pick one up for Modern and having to remind myself that he's a one-of in some Tokens and Jund lists and nothing else, and $30 is too high for that.

Sure, but it isn't even rotating until next fall.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

the sexual Shiite posted:

Pm me that decklist, please.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/budget-magic-91-35-tix-modern-tutelage-turbo-fog

you basically win easily vs. zoo, eldrazi, burn, infect, affinity and other aggro based strategy's.

just SB based on your meta.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
I wonder what I can substitute for colonnades in the non-budget version. I don't have those.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Angry Grimace posted:

Sure, but it isn't even rotating until next fall.

Oh yeah, I forgot that we overthrew our six-month rotation overlords.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

the sexual Shiite posted:

I wonder what I can substitute for colonnades in the non-budget version. I don't have those.

I use the non budget version just throw in some other basics or temples of enlightenment, try it out and see what works best for you

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Yeah the only reason they're Colonnades and not Any Other UW Land is that they're a plan-B. The scry lands or some fetches seem fine.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
New frame looks really bad with silver borders.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Things that card does badly:

Silver borders, a thing that has been good previously
Kaladesh, a thing that has been good previously
Holiday pun names, a thing that has been good previously
Holiday joke rules, a thing that has been good previously

Things that card does well:

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Things that card does well: keeping you fat so that magic is your only hobby.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Bugsy posted:

New frame looks really bad with silver borders.

The new border looks really bad. That curvature at the bottom is just ugly. I hope they roll back that particular design change and just claim it was Bolas putting his stupid horns on the bottom of all the new cards.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Should have done a full silver border and just done the machine-readable text in black on top. Instead of this half-silver half-black border thing they've got going on.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

That's a pretty gross border.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Good, I watch on a mobile device 99% of the time so I can't rip the stream. I know people saying that poo poo bothers her and it sucks being reminded so many people in the community act like that.

This is the thing about twitch chats that people need to understand. the majority of the assholes arent from any community...but just twitch shits that jump on popular streams and act like shits.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
That is very true. There's some kind of weird people out there who just... live for internet chat rooms, and they are the most bizarre, and frequently awful people.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
You can't even read the twitch chat to begin with there is always 2500+ people and it's constantly scrolling lines of text.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Can Twitch Plays MTGO be a thing?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

All Hail Jace-sama

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Hot take: Magic is a good and fun game.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Chill la Chill posted:

Can Twitch Plays MTGO be a thing?

*sets up bots to spam both Pass priority and F6*

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
When Maro did the storm scale article for Khans block, he revealed that megamorph was the least popular mechanic since they started doing market research. This week he was doing the Zendikar blocks

quote:

As of me writing this article, Cohort is the lowest-rated mechanic in Magic's history since we began doing market research. Personally, I don't think it deserves the bottom slot, but it belongs in the bottom 25%.

quote:

Converge should be happy cohort exists, because otherwise it would be the lowest rated mechanic currently in market research.

quote:

Only cohort, converge, and megamorph score lower than support.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
They shoulda gone with that 4 colorless for a 3/3 version of morph.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Veyrall posted:

They shoulda gone with that 4 colorless for a 3/3 version of morph.

The point was you didn't know if it was a morph or 'megamorph' until it turned face up

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Converge was super out of place. They talked about not having room to bring back a ton of ZEN mechanics because of the Eldrazi stuff, but then added a Sunburst variant because...?

I guess the idea was to help push 3-color strategies from Khans, but it felt really forced and clunky.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this

Skyl3lazer posted:

The point was you didn't know if it was a morph or 'megamorph' until it turned face up
He said, in an article I don't remember where now, that the issue of knowing which type of morph was which was more of a concern in Limited, since in Standard player's could be reasonably assumed to have brought the necessary resources to properly distinguish between morph types in Constructed games. He then said that it became a non-issue as time went by, becase Morph and Megamorph didn't end up really sharing any Limited playspace due to Khans being a split Khans/Dragons block, with Fate lacking any morph cards.

My memory may be wrong, though.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

3 of magic's worst 4 mechanics ever in one block

hm

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Veyrall posted:

He said, in an article I don't remember where now, that the issue of knowing which type of morph was which was more of a concern in Limited, since in Standard player's could be reasonably assumed to have brought the necessary resources to properly distinguish between morph types in Constructed games. He then said that it became a non-issue as time went by, becase Morph and Megamorph didn't end up really sharing any Limited playspace due to Khans being a split Khans/Dragons block, with Fate lacking any morph cards.

You have to distinguish between a Morph and a Megamorph when you play them face down? Are you sure?

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this

mcmagic posted:

You have to distinguish between a Morph and a Megamorph when you play them face down? Are you sure?
Under the hypothetical situation of Morph being a colorless 2/2 and Megamorph being a colorless 3/3, yeah, it would be necessary. In reality, it isn't an issue right now because Mega and regular morph are colorless 2/2s.

As it stands, a lot of people on this very forum were of the opinion that Megamorph was a really underwhelming new mechanic.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

3 of magic's worst 4 mechanics ever in one block

hm

And the block's better mechanics were Ingest and Devoid.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

standard.deviant posted:

Death and Taxes, which has been getting a lot of new cards and also is probably the best deck that doesn't contain any cards from the Reserved List.

Karakas.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Veyrall posted:

Yet they had no problem creating two limited environments where you had to differentiate between manifested cards and actual morphs :psyduck:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Surprisingly not on the Reverse List! It was even reprinted in EMA.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

It was reprinted this year come on!!!

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this

Nibble posted:

Yet they had no problem creating two limited environments where you had to differentiate between manifested cards and actual morphs :psyduck:
Ahh....yeah....

awkward...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Barry Shitpeas posted:

When Maro did the storm scale article for Khans block, he revealed that megamorph was the least popular mechanic since they started doing market research. This week he was doing the Zendikar blocks

There is exactly one card with Cohort that isn't utterly miserable. Incidentally, it's the only one that is reasonable if the Cohort text didn't exist at all.

I mean, look at the marque card for Cohort.

a 3/3 for 5 with that requires you to untap with it, have another guy there, and decline to attack with either, all to get... a three-cost sorcery effect. Khans block before it has Abzan Ascendancy, OGW has Voice of Zendikar, and Shadows block after it has Collective Effort, all of which do the +1/+1 counter on the team thing for 3 mana, plus other stuff.

Archangel of Thune and Celestial Ancient are conditional +1/+1 counter to the team for 5 mana guys, but they don't have to decline attacking to get their counters. Hell, Archangel of Thune does it for attacking.

And it's locked to Allies, who in every prior appearance focused on ETB abilities. You know what I like for my ETB guys to do? Not contribute to combat! And it's parasitic as hell (no matter what Maro says) because you need a critical mass of allies to make your 2/2 for 4 turn into the world's least efficient zombie factory.

Cohort gets worse the more you look into it, which is why it's such a bad-feeling mechanic.

• Locked thread