Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

Concerned Citizen posted:

if it's gonna be some progressive hero, it should be liz warren.

Warren should be used to get votes, never for actual policy or power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
The next democratic president, whether its 2020 or 2024, is going to be someone no one on this dead gay comedy forum predicted.

I'm gonna throw Josh Shapiro from Pennsylvania out there.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Next Democratic president is going to be Trump. He's going to switch parties and win the Democratic Primary to get their team-loyalists while pulling all his committed Republican supporters across the divide, and he's gonna get 4 more years based on an overwhelming 70% of the popular vote.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

GlyphGryph posted:

Next Democratic president is going to be Trump. He's going to switch parties and win the Democratic Primary to get their team-loyalists while pulling all his committed Republican supporters across the divide, and he's gonna get 4 more years based on an overwhelming 70% of the popular vote.

nice.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

GlyphGryph posted:

If enough democrats write in Donald Trump when they go to vote in their primary, does that mean he can be on the ballot under both parties?

The DNC is going to get rid of super delegates and it's going to bite them in the rear end.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

The Nastier Nate posted:

The next democratic president, whether its 2020 or 2024, is going to be someone no one on this dead gay comedy forum predicted.

If Donald Trump's nomination and election is any indication, this is probably correct.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Railing Kill posted:

If Donald Trump's nomination and election is any indication, this is probably correct.

Also, if you had asked this same forum (those of us who were old enough to vote) in 2004 the same question, I don't think anyone would have predicted a black man with a Kenyan father named Barack Obama.

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...

The Nastier Nate posted:

Also, if you had asked this same forum (those of us who were old enough to vote) in 2004 the same question, I don't think anyone would have predicted a black man with a Kenyan father named Barack Obama.

Given his DNC speech that same year, maybe? But people predicted him as a VP in 2012, not President in 2008.

Gizmoduck_5000
Oct 6, 2013

Your superior intellect is no match for our primitive weapons!

GlyphGryph posted:

Can't tell if joking.

Gizmoduck_5000
Oct 6, 2013

Your superior intellect is no match for our primitive weapons!

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

If you're going to do that, just run Franken.

This.

Stewart Saves America.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

The Nastier Nate posted:

I've been old enough to vote since 2000. (I turned 18 on election day in 2000, actually. BTW THANKS FOR THAT, AMERICA.) When I think back on all of the elections since then, there's not a lot of unanticipated candidates:

2000: Gore v Bush. Both of them fairly predictable, one being the VP, and one being the anointed son of a former president. McCain kind of challenged Bush in the primary, but he's also a long-time political hack, sooooooo...

2004: Kerry v Bush: Kerry was fairly predictable, given that he had been cultivating a presidential run since his youth, not unlike Mitt Romney (see below). Bush was the incumbent, so no surprise there.

2008: Obama v McCain: Obama came out of nowhere after his big speech at the DNC a few years before. People still say he got to the White House prematurely. He also won over a woman who also had been anointed and had been running for president for ten years at that point. McCain was predictable: he had run before, and everyone knew he was going to do so again.

2012: Obama v Romney: nothing unpredictable here. An incumbent versus a robot designed thirty years ago to run for president.

2016: :psyduck:

I guess my point is, this goofiness is a more recent phenomenon with just Obama and Trump, and I think it may hold up at least in 2020 because the Democratic bench is so thin. It may even be a good thing if it means we can nominate someone who isn't an entitled rich weirdo holding onto ideas that failed decades ago. But the Dems will probably break my heart by nominating Mark Cuban or Michael Bloomberg. :sigh:

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Railing Kill posted:

I guess my point is, this goofiness is a more recent phenomenon with just Obama and Trump, and I think it may hold up at least in 2020 because the Democratic bench is so thin. It may even be a good thing if it means we can nominate someone who isn't an entitled rich weirdo holding onto ideas that failed decades ago. But the Dems will probably break my heart by nominating Mark Cuban or Michael Bloomberg. :sigh:

Ugh, the only people possibly worse the HRC.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

The Nastier Nate posted:

Agreed, who hell predicted trump as the GOP nominee before he threw his hat into the ring? Fukken no one.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
if diamond joe ran, he'd probably get the nom

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

logikv9 posted:

if diamond joe ran, he'd probably get the nom

That's a good point. It's possible that the only reason he didn't run this time was because his son was dying/died. I've heard as many unflattering things about him (policy-wise) as flattering things, but I'd still take him over most of the names being thrown around the thread.

But even in this case, I just wan the Dems to have a primary without loving anointing someone from the start.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
he's not the progressive hero that people itt want, and the reason he's so well liked is because for the last 8 years we haven't really heard his policy positions, only that he's chill and cool

his numbers will take a hit and he has his own scandals and poo poo that will come back to the light. but he's well known and some dems might go for that because of his appeal to the rust belt

i think the best opportunity is running him and tacking on a bernie-style agenda along with him

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

joe biden is one year younger then sanders, he'll be 78 in 2020

Minsky
May 23, 2001

what about Dennis Kucinich? Third time's the charm eh.

Actually I'm not sure if last time he had some massive scandal. I can't remember. Maybe that's a bad sign that I can't.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Zikan posted:

joe biden is one year younger then sanders, he'll be 78 in 2020

good point, rip

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

Minsky posted:

what about Dennis Kucinich? Third time's the charm eh.

Actually I'm not sure if last time he had some massive scandal. I can't remember. Maybe that's a bad sign that I can't.

Communist Gnome / Vin Diesel Or Whoever I Dunno 2020

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
You / All your wildest fantasies 2020

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

In 2020 the Republicans have successfully turned the United States into a fascist dictatorship, but after the revolution it becomes a monarchy, with the White House containing the four thrones of High King Bernie Sanders the Magnificent, High Queen Elizabeth Warren the Gentle, King Joe Biden the Just, and Queen Barbara Ehrenreich the Valiant.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Ace of Baes posted:

I hope the 2020 Democratic nominee campaigns largely on income inequality (which is sure to be worse in 4 years) and raising the federal minimum wage and on implementing national single payer healthcare.

Also, that racism doesn't exist because Billy Bob Ray Sue Cletus III has a heroin problem.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

zegermans posted:

Also, that racism doesn't exist because Billy Bob Ray Sue Cletus III has a heroin problem.

That sounds pretty dumb but hopefully they don't nominate people who believe stuff like that!

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

zegermans posted:

Yeah I also hope they don't nominate the kind of person who'd say poo poo like this, good ironyposting here

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

I think this election showed she is timid and won't take risks. She can help but needs to back the gently caress off.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
Can't wait for the Democrats to nominate a black transgender goldman Sachs banker for president in the year 2020.

Marie Furie
Nov 11, 2016

Ace of Baes posted:

Can't wait for the Democrats to nominate a black transgender goldman Sachs banker for president in the year 2020.

don't misgender Cory Booker

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Sylink posted:

I think this election showed she is timid and won't take risks. She can help but needs to back the gently caress off.

or maybe she just didn't want to endorse bernie sanders, weirdly.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Sylink posted:

"gently caress the DNC for putting it's thumb om the scales! gently caress Liz Warren for not putting her thumb on the scales!"

Xtra Innings Lovin
Nov 11, 2016

GlyphGryph posted:

Ideally we'd get a Donald Trump face turn sooner than 2020. It is so weird Trump, Giuliani and Romney held such different views and then suddenly shifted positions in their 60s. :shrug:

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Could Stone Cold Steve Austin run as a Democrat? I looked it up and The Rock is a Republican.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

logikv9 posted:

he's not the progressive hero that people itt want, and the reason he's so well liked is because for the last 8 years we haven't really heard his policy positions, only that he's chill and cool

his numbers will take a hit and he has his own scandals and poo poo that will come back to the light. but he's well known and some dems might go for that because of his appeal to the rust belt

i think the best opportunity is running him and tacking on a bernie-style agenda along with him

hes legitimately too old to be our first option now, just like sanders

he'd still probably be able to beat trump, though!

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Ace of Baes posted:

Can't wait for the Democrats to nominate a black transgender

I appreciate your optimism that not only will there still be elections in 4 years, but it will still be legal to be any of these three things.

quote:

goldman Sachs banker for president in the year 2020.

This one on the other hand is going to be added as an amendment; Goldman Sachs selects a candidate among itself, the people can either vote YES or SURE, I GUESS.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

She just dropped a "binders full of women" reference to Romney the other day, in the year of our lord 2016

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Ace of Baes posted:

Trump is trying to bring Bernie supporters on board obviously, but I think Gabbard could use this to her advantage, take a position and try to accomplish something before Trump does something insane, then make a big spectacle of stepping down and denouncing him right after he announces Muslim internment camps or something.

yeah this worked really well for jon huntsman

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
The year 2019, a single camera shot of Bernie Sanders doing clean and presses and Burpees for 10 minutes in total silence, then he turns to the camera, he picks a thick stack of papers labeled " Donald Trumps Tax Returns" he rips them in two letting out an animalistic grunt, " I, Bernie Sanders, hereby announce my candidacy for the Democratic Presidential Nomination".

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Jerry Brown 2020!

#cantkeepdownthebrown
#chochonexttraintobrowntown
#moonbeam2020

i do legitimately think he would have had a shot this year

Fill Baptismal has issued a correction as of 02:43 on Nov 23, 2016

StateOwned
Dec 30, 2005

this lane closed
elizabeth warren would be a loving terrible pick. no more boring loving people. gore, kerry, clinton. gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

StateOwned posted:

elizabeth warren would be a loving terrible pick. no more boring loving people. gore, kerry, clinton. gently caress.

are you seriously comparing warren to gore, kerry, and clinton? did i get sucked into an alternate universe where warren is considering serving on the board of citibank or something

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htX2usfqMEs

• Locked thread