Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Not everywhere, looks like the guys up north didn't revolt. :v:

BTW Paradox guys, make a filter tag for the person search that shows all the people that might accept an invite to my court. tia

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Nov 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Soup du Journey posted:

so i picked this up again, started a new game, and i noticed im not getting notifications for when my wife gives birth anymore (so i cant name the kid or even realize that he showed up). did something change in the base game, or do i have some mod conflict?

Definitely a mod conflict. That or you hosed up your message settings somehow.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Not everywhere, looks like the guys up north didn't revolt. :v:

BTW Paradox guys, make a filter tag for the person search that shows all the people that might accept an invite to my court. tia

Also a way to filter out people who are out of diplomatic range.

Alternatively just admit you hosed up and remove diplomatic range from the game, that would be good too.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Also a way to filter out people who are out of diplomatic range.

Alternatively just admit you hosed up and remove diplomatic range from the game, that would be good too.

That is now an game option but I'm guessing you're a "but but but MY CHEEVOS :aaaaa: " type of player?

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Volkerball posted:

Playing as a count in Scandinavia isn't that difficult. The only way you are screwed is if you roll a character with a really low martial. So long as it's decent, you park your marshal on your county to raise levies, take the become king ambition, and then you have a subjugation CB on everyone in your entire de jure kingdom. Since you will be a count, when you subjugate another count, you gain control of their county rather than vassalizing it, so you can become a force pretty quickly. And yeah, viking merchant republics are OP as hell, especially if you culture convert to Hungarian or Altaic to gain access to tribal invasion.

I think having a good Steward is more important than Martial as a Scandanavian count. Everybody sets their steward on Build Legend, and if it fires for your neighbor before it fires for you, they are going to be able to field a much larger army than you are capable of defending against and it's game over. Once you can start raiding you can build your prestige up and have access to the raise tribal army decision, so it's no longer as much of a threat, but those first 25 years or so before you can raid are almost a complete toss-up whether you will survive or not.

As a side note, I would really like to see died from severe stress go away. It would make way more sense if a stressed character was more likely to die clutching at their chest or something.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Diplo range owns and is good. Hated seeing rando Africans in Ireland. That sounds racist but it's not.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

loving REALM PEACE I HAD HIM! I was finishing an assault on the capital! What does Karloman care for the squabble between a Duke and his super Count:tizzy:

You have five years you bastard. Then I'm coming for you, and this time, Mercenaries shall not save you. :argh:

[edit] BTW my wife still hasn't produced a single child, can women be secretly infertile or what? I'm getting pretty worried, especially since my guy was wracked by fever during this whole realm peace fracas.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Nov 22, 2016

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Galaga Galaxian posted:

[edit] BTW my wife still hasn't produced a single child, can women be secretly infertile or what?

Technically yes, as the hidden fertility trait can have a base value below the threshold that you won't ever get offspring, but it's also plausible the fertility is just low.
If you're that worried pick up seduction and have some bastards.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Galaga Galaxian posted:

loving REALM PEACE I HAD HIM! I was finishing an assault on the capital! What does Karloman care for the squabble between a Duke and his super Count:tizzy:

You have five years you bastard. Then I'm coming for you, and this time, Mercenaries shall not save you. :argh:

[edit] BTW my wife still hasn't produced a single child, can women be secretly infertile or what? I'm getting pretty worried, especially since my guy was wracked by fever during this whole realm peace fracas.

This is why it can be good to hold on to a favour against your liege. You can use favours to veto realm peace even if everyone else on the council votes for it.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

My liege didn't call it, I was fighting him to take over the ducal title. It was the King that called for Realm Peace.

What does he care? I guess I was killing soldiers that could be used in foreign wars? Bah.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Can you even get a favor with your leiges' liege?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Because AI kings don't like burgeoning superdukes-in-the-making any more than player kings do.

Alternatively your liege might have obtained and called in a favor to get Realm Peace before losing his poo poo to you.

Darth Windu posted:

Can you even get a favor with your leiges' liege?

Sure, you can outright buy a favor from anyone if they're amenable to it and you have the cash. Favors from kings are expensive as hell though.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

That is now an game option but I'm guessing you're a "but but but MY CHEEVOS :aaaaa: " type of player?

I'm not.

I probably would be if not for the equally dumb Ironman requirement, but lol at playing Ironman in a game as crash-happy as CK2.

The truth is I'd forgotten about the game creation option, but on the other hand I'm perfectly happy to criticize the game as-designed, not the game as-modded or "the game as-played with options that call you a cheater in bright red letters."

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I dunno, some of my happiest CK2 times have come contentedly being Count Nobody of the County of Bumfuck, cheating myself infinite money and using it to kill people and hire tens of thousands of mercs to press people's claims and poo poo :ninja:

e: so basically it's like playing a merchant republic but without the ~50 years' worth of setup :haw:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Who nominated the successor of a Prince-Bishopric?

Less than a year left until realm peace goes away (I think). I've managed to secure a tentative heir, my first wife finally produced a daughter just before dying of unrelated sickness. My second wife is pregnant barely a year into the marriage, so hopefully this one'll be a son. Meanwhile I suffered horrible sickness myself and recruited a one eyed hunchback with 26 learning. He cured me, but only at the cost of my hand. :argh:

I'd flirted with it before on one of my Oppland games, but playing on Ironman is much more fun, I gotta admit. If this wasn't ironman I might've weakly reloaded after that whole realm peace thing, but honestly its neater to just roll with the punch.

[edit] I dont' get it, the king called for Realm Peace but during that a civil war over elective monarchy kept going, not surprising I guess? But after it ended and the King lost, another civil war over elective monarchy broke out again. What did the king do? Just immediately change the succession law back? Also I guess this kind of war isn't effected by realm peace?

[edit] Curses another daughter!

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Nov 22, 2016

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Galaga Galaxian posted:

[edit] I dont' get it, the king called for Realm Peace but during that a civil war over elective monarchy kept going, not surprising I guess? But after it ended and the King lost, another civil war over elective monarchy broke out again. What did the king do? Just immediately change the succession law back? Also I guess this kind of war isn't effected by realm peace?

[edit] Curses another daughter!

Wars against the liege won't be stopped by Realm Peace, because they aren't actually part of the realm during the war - they're part of their own separate temporary rebellion kingdom. Plus it wouldn't really make a lot of sense if the king could stop people revolting against him by saying "no you guys, stop it, I'm serious". Also if he lost the war then he couldn't have changed the law back (it counts as your "once per lifetime" succession law change). So he probably white peaced out and then another faction just formed up right away. Either that or he has more than one kingdom title, and so the second revolt is against his other title.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

:toot:

Something tells me taking this fatass dutchy was the easy part, the hard part will be holding it. Especially since my former Liege still controls 3 counties. Any advice for dealing with him? He's my prisoner, I could just throw him in the oubliette, which'd leave it all to his 9 y/o brother who has cancer. The only concern however is the person in line of succession after that is the "King Tassilo the Impaler" of Bavaria next door. I'd really rather not give away 3 counties to a mostly hostile neighbor. :ohdear:

[edit] Just noticed I can form my own Kingdom If... I amass about 700-800 gold* (to create 2 ducal titles and the king title), gain another 500 prestige, and win Independence from Francia (wait for an implosion I guess?)

* And I still owe 350 to the Jewery for mercenaries in the original claimaint war.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Nov 22, 2016

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Who the gently caress plays in Germany??? Your sick.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

What's wrong with Germany? :colbert: :hitler:

I was just shopping around for youngish vassal counts to play and found this guy.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

So, somewhat predictably, some of my counts made a council powerplay. There was a war, I crushed them thanks to mercenaries. Now I've got 4 rebel counts in my dungeon. Three of them have two titles each, the fourth just one. Not sure what I should do with them.I guess I could strip a title from each one and give them to loyal flunkies. Or I guess I could just leave them in the dungeons where they can't do much to me. I dunno. Not used to this bold new world of Conclave driven rebellious vassals.

Any Advice? I want to make this worth it, that war cost me over 200 gold, over three year's income.

Probably gonna strip the county from the guy with only one, but as tempting as it is to strip one each from the other three, that'll still leave them with one each and royally pissed off at me.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Nov 22, 2016

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

You can revoke their title and leave them in jail forever. Their heir won't hate you as much, and it lets you hand the land out to someone you like. Or if they have lots of money, revoke a title and then let them ransom themselves. They'll be much weaker after losing half their land, and you'll have extra cash to replenish your reserves.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Ah, I thought revocation freed them.

I still feel kinda doomed. My character still has no male heirs, just three daughters, the youngest of which is probably a secret bastard (though 25 gold worth of Private Investigators turned up nothing). I think its time to switch back to seduction and invite a few young ladies to court.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
You can also release them for a general opinion boost if your ruler is young enough to make it worth it. Release one or two of them and you should have no more faction fuckery for the rest of his life.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

The release thing says the opinion boost is only 6? Also they'll just be immediately -40 pissed I'm not putting them on the council.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Nov 22, 2016

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The release thing says the opinion boost is only 6? Also they'll just be immediately -40 pissed I'm not putting them on the council.

Yeah counts are pretty low. It's +10 for dukes and more than that for kings though, so it can add up quick.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Wait, is that +6 to all my vassals? Right now I'm leaning towards stripping their better county from each of them and then either throwing them in the oubliette to die, leaving them in the dungeon or house arrest where they can't faction/plot against me, or ransoming each of them for 70 gold to refill my coffers (still have the vague hopes of forming a kingdom when Francia disintegrates).

However if its +6 to all my vassals (For how long?) that might change things. I'm worried if I don't reduce their individual power though, they'll just start this council power faction stuff again. Then again they'd probably do it anyways, huh?

Also my dude is early 40s, so I dunno about how long he's got left.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'm not.

I probably would be if not for the equally dumb Ironman requirement, but lol at playing Ironman in a game as crash-happy as CK2.

The truth is I'd forgotten about the game creation option, but on the other hand I'm perfectly happy to criticize the game as-designed, not the game as-modded or "the game as-played with options that call you a cheater in bright red letters."

Uh. CK2 isn't crashy, and if it was Ironman saving often would be pretty useful in not losing progress. Diplo range is good and apparently pretty popular because hardly anyone turns it off. Turning it off does disable achievements, but it does not call you a cheater and you have already said you don't play for achievements anyway - so click one setting and your diplo range complaint is solved.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Darkrenown posted:

Uh. CK2 isn't crashy, and if it was Ironman saving often would be pretty useful in not losing progress.

I would have agreed with this until three weeks ago, but then I played on my niece's PC and found that it crashed every time, and corrupted the Ironman save every time it did, so I lost all games. However I did manage to fix this, by changing it to fullscreen mode instead of borderless.

Oh dear me fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Nov 22, 2016

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Buildin' sheep in the steppes

e:called my vassal into war and now afterwards he's still attached to my army and i cant detach him sine he made that decision what the gently caress go away you fucker i wanna raid poo poo

e2: he hosed off

verbal enema fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Nov 22, 2016

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Darkrenown posted:

Uh. CK2 isn't crashy, and if it was Ironman saving often would be pretty useful in not losing progress. Diplo range is good and apparently pretty popular because hardly anyone turns it off. Turning it off does disable achievements, but it does not call you a cheater and you have already said you don't play for achievements anyway - so click one setting and your diplo range complaint is solved.
Yeah, I haven't had a non-mod related crash for years now

In fact, I haven't really wanted the console for a while. No accidentally making a county into a theocracy since they changed things

There's always me wanting to add more chaos to the world so I don't usually play with it but it's perfectly viable these days to be ironman

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I had to switch from fullscreen to borderless window to stop soft crashes when alt tabbing for what it is worth.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Volkerball posted:

You can also release them for a general opinion boost if your ruler is young enough to make it worth it. Release one or two of them and you should have no more faction fuckery for the rest of his life.

The opinion bonus for releasing a vassal only lasts for like three years, and it doesn't stack.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Various Meat Products posted:

The opinion bonus for releasing a vassal only lasts for like three years, and it doesn't stack.

In that case, these guys are getting a county stripped and paying 70 gold each for release.

Also in two of the three counties I own I also directly own an additional Barony/castle. Should I award these to some dudes to free up demense space to retain two of the counties I'm about to strip? Barons are basically powerless compared to vassal counts. Though maybe I should keep the extra castle in my capital county.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
When does the Steam winter sale usually start? I'm three xpacs behind and want to pick them up on the cheap.

Also, is there a consensus now about Conclave?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Vengarr posted:

When does the Steam winter sale usually start? I'm three xpacs behind and want to pick them up on the cheap.

Also, is there a consensus now about Conclave?

Conclave is great. Internal politics used to just be a giant pain in the rear end. It still is but now it's an interesting pain in the rear end full of choices that actually matter.

e: it would be worth the price of admission for the new education system alone

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

e: it would be worth the price of admission for the new education system alone

I've seen you say this a few times. Whst do you like so much about it? I've only raised a few kids under the new system but so far it seems much duller and less event filled than the old system. I admit the old one could be pretty heavily gamed.

So far the only major event I've seen/liked was the ability to pass on your ambitious trait by turning your child into a bitter rival.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I've seen you say this a few times. Whst do you like so much about it? I've only raised a few kids under the new system but so far it seems much duller and less event filled than the old system. I admit the old one could be pretty heavily gamed.

So far the only major event I've seen/liked was the ability to pass on your ambitious trait by turning your child into a bitter rival.

If the old system could be heavily gamed that might actually make it less of a upgrade; I like it because I hate RNG and enjoy control and convenience. The new system makes it easy to get a steady succession of heirs with amazing martial and good-enough stewardship (or whatever, but that's the combination I needed most of the time for my Zoroastrian game) without having to fiddle around finding good teachers which was almost always possible but took a lot of time and effort.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Darkrenown posted:

Uh. CK2 isn't crashy

It is a bit recently. I have a save I keep meaning to send you that repeatedly crashes after a few months.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal
I'm inclined to agree that the new education system is more reliable, as well as also much more dull, but there are two things I hate about it. One is that I'd rather the second stage were done for me, because 19 times out of 20 I'm going to pick the best thing for the child's traits - but at least there is information on screen to help with doing that. The other is constantly having to switch to the wiki to look up educator intervention traits, which as far as I know aren't explained anywhere in game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Galaga Galaxian posted:

In that case, these guys are getting a county stripped and paying 70 gold each for release.

Also in two of the three counties I own I also directly own an additional Barony/castle. Should I award these to some dudes to free up demense space to retain two of the counties I'm about to strip? Barons are basically powerless compared to vassal counts. Though maybe I should keep the extra castle in my capital county.

Extra baronies in your capital are good to have since they benefit from your Marshall's levy buff and your Steward's tax bonus. Other than that, you want to be holding counties.

• Locked thread