Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Hooooly poo poo how much money did they spend on the first five minutes alone??????

3.2 million

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

If they truly didn't like each other, Hammond and May would have left Clarkson behind and kept going with Top Gear.

This, and also why would Jeremy have not punched one of them instead of a producer?

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

IOwnCalculus posted:

This, and also why would Jeremy have not punched one of them instead of a producer?

Because they weren't in charge of him getting a hot meal. Poor guy clearly had been starving, too.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
The commonly accepted 'how much did this cost' figure came from someone who was at the taping and spitballed it on the spot for a UK journo :ssh: (not me)

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Clarkson and May bonded over their mutual hatred of people named "Gary".

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
The Amazon app on my Vizio TV just hangs when I try to watch the Grand Tour. Everything else plays fine, and my Google-fu is failing me. Anyone else had this problem?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
:chord:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

post the dress code

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

My Lovely Horse posted:

post the dress code

There isn't one, even though the e-ticket says there is and that it's very important.

:iiam:

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

thebigcow posted:

The Amazon app on my Vizio TV just hangs when I try to watch the Grand Tour. Everything else plays fine, and my Google-fu is failing me. Anyone else had this problem?

Actually, yes, I had the same problem. I would stop the program and try to go back in and it would pick up where it left off even though I hadn't seen (or heard) a thing.

Worked fine on the PC.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

sean10mm posted:

There isn't one, even though the e-ticket says there is and that it's very important.

:iiam:

It's probably just leftover/laziness from the Opening Sequence invite that looked identical, which said "Dress Code: There will be a lot of standing as well as walking over uneven ground so sensible footwear is essential. Time with us will be mostly outdoors, and there will also be transport to climb into, so suitable clothing is required and please be prepared for the sunshine and heat."

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:
Finland episode dress code was bit longer. Also calling the tent "quite warm" was a blatant lie. I mean it wasnt cold but it was well below regular room temperature

quote:

Dress code:There will be a lot of standing so sensible footwear is essential. Time with us will be mostly indoors where it does get quite warm and so suitable clothing is required. Please wear layers to ensure you do not get cold. A cloakroom will be provided for coats before entering the tent.

Please don’t wear anything that is heavily branded, and importantly no white clothing please as it doesn’t work with the colour grade we apply to the footage.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 228 days!)

So anybody got into this DriveTribe thing? I'm kind of :effort: about it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I signed up for it but I'll probably never log in again. It sounded like a cool concept but I think it will be tricky to get enough people to use it. It would help if they mentioned it on the show or something.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Yeah they didn't give a poo poo about white shirts or branded clothing at all at Nashville. The tent was comfortable enough but definitely not "quite warm." The tent bit must be a leftover from shooting in the desert.

At the event one of the staffers told everyone some people might be moved if their clothing looks weird on the video, at which point Clarkson said, "Listen, we film on 4K, if they move you it's really because you're gently caress-ugly!"

:laugh:

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Nov 22, 2016

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Dress like 1970's James - paisley shirt/tweed blazer with elbow patches, faded bell bottom jeans, boots etc

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

West SAAB Story posted:

So anybody got into this DriveTribe thing? I'm kind of :effort: about it.

I'm not cool enough i guess, i got a "we're invitation only, enter your code here". Thanks obama.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:

sean10mm posted:

"Listen, we film on 4K, if they move you it's really because you're gently caress-ugly!"

Heard the same in Lapland. I wasnt shuffled around but they also didnt pan at me. So confirmed for an actual truth.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Mister Kingdom posted:

Actually, yes, I had the same problem. I would stop the program and try to go back in and it would pick up where it left off even though I hadn't seen (or heard) a thing.

Worked fine on the PC.

shoot :(

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I'm not cool enough i guess, i got a "we're invitation only, enter your code here". Thanks obama.

I really wanted to make a tribe for people that daily drive old performance cars that anyone can get off of craigslist, but its invite only now on top of a forced facebook login so I guess not.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I think my least favorite part was honestly the stupid little electronic board they put all the times and pictures on. It was just kinda chintzy and I think the slapdash nature of the magnet board and crappy TVs fit their humor better. But maybe all that stuff is trademarked Top Gear iconography so they can't do it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I think my least favorite part was honestly the stupid little electronic board they put all the times and pictures on. It was just kinda chintzy and I think the slapdash nature of the magnet board and crappy TVs fit their humor better. But maybe all that stuff is trademarked Top Gear iconography so they can't do it.

it might have to do with everything being loaded up and moved halfway around the world every show.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
"Wow, what happened to the Ferrari time that was posted three months ago? It's totally missing from the magnet board on this traveling show."

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Powershift posted:

it might have to do with everything being loaded up and moved halfway around the world every show.

I know. I just feel like the whole thing is missing that half-assed "we built it all with hammers" vibe.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I know. I just feel like the whole thing is missing that half-assed "we built it all with hammers" vibe.

Yeah, feels a little "post-Adam-and-Jimmy Man Show" to me. Not as many opportunities for dumb jokes like Hammond not being able to reach the top ones and having to take a flying leap and knock the whole thing down. But there might be new ways for it to be funny that they just haven't explored yet (it's a digital board after all, plenty of ways it can be pranked).

There's often a tendency for a thing to become more slick and soulless as it graduates to a new and better funded iteration; but if the Old Old Top Gear -> New Old Top Gear transition is anything to go by, they'll figure out how to make the best of their new format. It'll just take a few go-arounds.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

The stuff posted earlier said they specifically weren't allowed to have a "hand written" score board

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cojawfee posted:

"Wow, what happened to the Ferrari time that was posted three months ago? It's totally missing from the magnet board on this traveling show."
"Luckily, Ferrari called us, and reminded us it was meant to be at the top. We asked them if they meant above or below the other Ferrari at the top, but then they went quiet and hung up"

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Though for real, it would be hilarious if they tried the magnet board and the next week they said they lost all the pieces and decided to go with a picture and would just Photoshop new times into the picture.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
How far in advance are they sending tickets out, still waiting to see if I get to go to the one at Loch Ness.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Budgie posted:

How far in advance are they sending tickets out, still waiting to see if I get to go to the one at Loch Ness.

Mine was just 1 week advance of the taping, and I never got a call beforehand.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Mine was a phone interview about a week after signing up, and then got confirmation about a week after that, the show was taped 8 days later.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Just watched episode 1. Mrs. Slidebite and I are in agreement.

More Top Gear than Top Gear (not bad) but the US Stig guy was stupid and hope it was an experiment for the first few episodes.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

I kind of enjoyed how silly and gameshow like the sounds it made were. I think that was intentional.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
My thinking based on a tiny understanding of the hoops involved with immigration and entertainment acts working in the US is that in order to get their work visas for shooting primarily in the US they had to agree to have an American cast member/percentage of the crew be American, and you can't have a full-faced helmet on a guy who doesn't speak and expect there to be a valid understanding that he's American. Thus all the hyping how American he was, with the goal of it being critically panned so they can say to the Amazon brass next season "See, everyone hated this, we need an english racing driver to do this, and Ben Collins *IS* key personnel" which they couldn't quite get Amazon to co-sign on the first time around.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Ether Frenzy posted:

My thinking based on a tiny understanding of the hoops involved with immigration and entertainment acts working in the US is that in order to get their work visas for shooting primarily in the US they had to agree to have an American cast member/percentage of the crew be American, and you can't have a full-faced helmet on a guy who doesn't speak and expect there to be a valid understanding that he's American. Thus all the hyping how American he was, with the goal of it being critically panned so they can say to the Amazon brass next season "See, everyone hated this, we need an english racing driver to do this, and Ben Collins *IS* key personnel" which they couldn't quite get Amazon to co-sign on the first time around.

This sounds like a really flimsy explanation for what was almost certainly just a poorly thought out bit. Getting a work permit for Ben Collins should be absolutely trivial for a company like Amazon, if you even need one for the few weeks he would've needed it for.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
It's just what I've seen on a billion tours produced by companies much larger than Amazon that would also seem to have the power to make everything completely trivial to accomplish, and yet the US immigration status requires that if 'there is an american that can do the job, he has to be hired first unless the position is held by key personnel that the tour cannot survive without. Like one of the band.' It's just a theory though, combined with wishful thinking that they should get rid of the guy because he sucks.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

Ether Frenzy posted:

I think the reason was that they had to make their race car driver significantly different from the Stig in order to avoid potential lawsuits by the BBC.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

I'm pretty sure they said The American is locked in for season 1, but after that the driver is up in the air.

Does anyone in the world like him on the show?

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

sean10mm posted:

I'm pretty sure they said The American is locked in for season 1, but after that the driver is up in the air.

Does anyone in the world like him on the show?

I'm willing to give him a chance, he only said a line or three at all and i'd love to see an american racing driver perspective on some of the poofter-european supercars they are going to throw at him. Hopefully he can get to a point where he says what he actually thinks instead of canned southern-isms.

Does seeing an american person with a southern accent for a grand total of 20 seconds really bother you that much?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
And it works on my TV now. I changed nothing.