Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
I haven't played a Pokemon game since I was in middle school and now I'm addicted again. I'm havin fun on the grand scavenger hunt. I don't recognize most of the "new" Pokemon outside of the ones they shoved into Smash Bros assist trophies. Well. That's my story, thanks for readin.
Team Skull is hilarious so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Nemo07 posted:

Ah, so just put him right next to Marowak in the "Looks cool but basically useless in the main story" category.

Use whatever you want in the main story, but comp wise Alola Marowak is super legit and a counter to a lot of popular stuff at the moment.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

Erata posted:

I haven't played a Pokemon game since I was in middle school and now I'm addicted again. I'm havin fun on the grand scavenger hunt. I don't recognize most of the "new" Pokemon outside of the ones they shoved into Smash Bros assist trophies. Well. That's my story, thanks for readin.
Team Skull is hilarious so far.

Similar situation for me. Haven't played since Pearl. I got the game but have to wait till Friday to get a DS and the hype is killing me!

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

When did Masquerain become stronk

(yes i know he got buffed but I still didn't expect it to be a threat)

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

someone awful. posted:

If a pokemon gets hit by, or uses, certain moves that make it unpretty a "go to pokemon refresh" toggle will show up after the battle. It also does if you get a status effect, because you can cure those in Refresh too

It's not every battle but it's pretty drat common. Like every time my Dugtrio would use Magnitude in a battle I'd get to do Refresh after to wipe the dirt off its face(s)

I think they're talking about the thing in battle where if you rubbed the screen a certain way a disembodied hand would appear and give your pokemon a pat on the head. It was super cute, but if it's in SuMo I haven't been able to replicate it. :(

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
I have freshly hatched Rockruffs with Vital Spirit, adamant, and nice egg moves for guts and bolts. But to trade one over, I'll need your friend code, you'll have to add me, and then we'll both have to activate the internet in the plaza.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Primarina is a beast and basically just kills everything I point him at in one or two shots. Has anyone else noticed that? Or did I just get an especially good one. Sparkling Aria is a pretty lame move compared to scald though

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

Mizuti posted:

I have freshly hatched Rockruffs with Vital Spirit, adamant, and nice egg moves for guts and bolts. But to trade one over, I'll need your friend code, you'll have to add me, and then we'll both have to activate the internet in the plaza.

I will go and find this information for you presently, thank you

EDIT: also I have virtually nothing to offer in trade, so you'd basically just be helping me instead of this being an equal exchange, which makes me feel bad :(

EDIT EDIT: my friend code is evidently 2724-3436-0512

guts and bolts fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Nov 22, 2016

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Crosspeice posted:

Can't believe you'd forget Siebold, the pissed off water chef with the nasty Clawitzer, Drasna the sweet old dragon lady and Wikstrom, the guy who speaks like he's from the 15th century. And if he did say "m'lady", it would be 100% sincere and very cool and respectful.

The four of them combined is also a story about slaying a dragon and reaching the princess Champion. Like come on! But I also agree they were very unmemorable, mainly because they were some of the more recent games and you haven't played them over and over again like with other generations. The nostalgia meter has now reached the 4th generation, so a lot of people think it was pretty cool, but they don't remember much about it.

I like Drasna because she busts out a load of dragons like a tryhard but then when you beat her she's all "haha oh you beat me! Well done, isn't this so much fun"

Unova Elite 4 are really forgettable as trainers because it feels like their types are too close together.

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice
Anyone had success with Minior? Just got to the third island and I'm thinking about adding one to my squad because on paper Shell Smash + Shields Down sounds like a good time outside of getting hit by literally any priority move.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!

guts and bolts posted:

I will go and find this information for you presently, thank you

EDIT: also I have virtually nothing to offer in trade, so you'd basically just be helping me instead of this being an equal exchange, which makes me feel bad :(

EDIT EDIT: my friend code is evidently 2724-3436-0512

All set. You just need to turn on the internet in the plaza. And I don't mind getting a throwaway in return; I've done this hundreds of times!

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Mizuti posted:

All set. You just need to turn on the internet in the plaza. And I don't mind getting a throwaway in return; I've done this hundreds of times!

Thank you muchly

I don't know what the etiquette is about adding people as a VIP but whatever you can be a ~very important person~ in my ~castle of Pokémen~

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!

guts and bolts posted:

Thank you muchly

I don't know what the etiquette is about adding people as a VIP but whatever you can be a ~very important person~ in my ~castle of Pokémen~

Enjoy your much improved doggo. Don't forget to go inside the castle and talk to my avatar at the table for a FC bonus! (Those happen every time you do an online trade.)

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7vgc2017-481141302

Fun times with trick roomin' sand stallin'

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Mizuti posted:

Enjoy your much improved doggo. Don't forget to go inside the castle and talk to my avatar at the table for a FC bonus! (Those happen every time you do an online trade.)

Thanks for the heads up

I actually had a follow-up question about Rockruff - I kinda want the Midnight one, even if my Pokémon expert friend keeps insisting that he sucks

I was told Rockruff evolves at night for Moon and during the day for Sun - but if I level up my new doggo (:3:) until he's near evolving, then trade him to a friend with Moon, will he become the Midnight version?

Also I'm still on the first island, I've been in Ten Carat Hill for a long time, and my Dartrix is now level 32, and I feel like this is grossly overleveled - should I just chuck him in a box for a while? Will his affection go down? Can I put my EXP Share in a box?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Mr. Funktastic posted:

Anyone had success with Minior? Just got to the third island and I'm thinking about adding one to my squad because on paper Shell Smash + Shields Down sounds like a good time outside of getting hit by literally any priority move.

You basically cracked the code, yeah. I didn't use one in the campaign but in pvp if you can get rid of your opponent's priority users it's a good late game sweeper. Once tiers develop I see it being a menace in UU since most of the super good priority users are OU. Though even OU may be viable once Aegislash is gone now that it's natural predator, Zygarde Complete, is quick banned.

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT
Do we know yet how to get more Apricorn balls? Is it going to be a Festival Plaza thing, I'd assume? So far I just have the single ones you get from A-Oak.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

notoriousman posted:

Do we know yet how to get more Apricorn balls? Is it going to be a Festival Plaza thing, I'd assume? So far I just have the single ones you get from A-Oak.

That's all you get

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
I remember the Unova elite 4 decently well because I fought them a poo poo ton of times while levelling mons up for a living pokedex. I barely remember the Kalos elite 4 besides Flare lady and Lady Champ because restaurant rotation battles were the best for XP boosting. I played gen 4 once and don't remember them at all, except Cynthia, because she's literally the best. I played 3 a few times but I forgot them besides Mineral dude and I didn't play the remakes.

1 and 2 are ingrained in my memory.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Unova Elite Four -

Velma
Dennis Rodman
Flock of Seagulls
Psychic Rapunzel

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

guts and bolts posted:

Thanks for the heads up

I actually had a follow-up question about Rockruff - I kinda want the Midnight one, even if my Pokémon expert friend keeps insisting that he sucks

I was told Rockruff evolves at night for Moon and during the day for Sun - but if I level up my new doggo (:3:) until he's near evolving, then trade him to a friend with Moon, will he become the Midnight version?

Also I'm still on the first island, I've been in Ten Carat Hill for a long time, and my Dartrix is now level 32, and I feel like this is grossly overleveled - should I just chuck him in a box for a while? Will his affection go down? Can I put my EXP Share in a box?
Evolving in a version locks you in, and that's the only thing that controls it regardless of version of catch, so yes, trading him over to Moon and evolving him will get you edgelord bipedal wolf rather than edgelord quadripedal wolf. (I like Rockruff, I just also like to give him poo poo over his design.)

That is fairly overleveled, yes, but it evens out eventually because each level takes more XP. I'd just run with it, but if you want to box him his affection won't be affected. You can turn off the EXP Share by going to the key items in your bag.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

how is kommo-o so loving baaaad gamefreeeeaaaakkkk

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

guts and bolts posted:

Also I'm still on the first island, I've been in Ten Carat Hill for a long time, and my Dartrix is now level 32

holy poo poo

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice

Countblanc posted:

You basically cracked the code, yeah. I didn't use one in the campaign but in pvp if you can get rid of your opponent's priority users it's a good late game sweeper. Once tiers develop I see it being a menace in UU since most of the super good priority users are OU. Though even OU may be viable once Aegislash is gone now that it's natural predator, Zygarde Complete, is quick banned.

That's about what I expected. I'll catch one and replace my buddy Mudsdale with my new tiny meteor friend since this gen is so slow I'll need all the speed I can get. I'll probably run Rock Polish on it until it learns Shell Smash.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Primarina is a beast and basically just kills everything I point him at in one or two shots. Has anyone else noticed that? Or did I just get an especially good one. Sparkling Aria is a pretty lame move compared to scald though

I've noticed that the starters in this generation, and Gen 6, are truly monstrous combatants. I don't know if it's their movepools or what, but they seem to kick way more rear end than the starters in previous generations, and older starters tended to be pretty good already, with a few exceptions.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Ruggington posted:

how is kommo-o so loving baaaad gamefreeeeaaaakkkk

It's so bulky though!! I bet someone will find a secret boss set in 6 months like when everyone simultaneously started using Endure bulky chomp

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT

El Burbo posted:

That's all you get
Hmm. Well, at male and genderless Pokémon can pass down balls now. Which means I should probably update my HG/SS chart.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

guts and bolts posted:

:stare: How?

Uh yeah that's so far overleveled it's absolutely insane that you even got that high. You can turn EXP share off at any time you know.

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

guts and bolts posted:

Thanks for the heads up

Level 32 with the scaling XP in this game. Are you sure you only fought 50 Rockruffs?

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Evolving in a version locks you in, and that's the only thing that controls it regardless of version of catch, so yes, trading him over to Moon and evolving him will get you edgelord bipedal wolf rather than edgelord quadripedal wolf. (I like Rockruff, I just also like to give him poo poo over his design.)

That is fairly overleveled, yes, but it evens out eventually because each level takes more XP. I'd just run with it, but if you want to box him his affection won't be affected. You can turn off the EXP Share by going to the key items in your bag.

Thanks much

Ruggington posted:

holy poo poo

Regy Rusty posted:

:stare: How?

Uh yeah that's so far overleveled it's absolutely insane that you even got that high. You can turn EXP share off at any time you know.

I will turn off EXP share then, yeah. I tend to only level and use Pokémon that I actually really like - everyone else is basically a placeholder until I find a new one I want. Dartrix is the only Pokémon I like so far, so he's always been in my No.1 spot, and in trying to catch a Rockruff I liked he has singlehandedly impacted the ecosystem of Ten Carat Hill irrevocably

Roggenrola will one day be extinct thanks to my owl

If I had to guess, I'd say he's probably killed several hundred dudes trying to even find a Rockruff, and then when I did get one, it was bad, so the cycle would start anew

Pluck the Machops, Razor Leaf any and everything else, False Swipe Rockruff when he showed up, rinse repeat until Mizuti came through with a usable pup

Also, does anyone have an Adamant Pokémon with Synchronize? I'd be in your debt eternally, because a few of the Pokémon I want will probably want Adamant natures and I feel like this is the way to go

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

guts and bolts posted:

Thanks for the heads up

You'll be overlevelled until the third island at that rate.

Good job.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
Just caught an Araquanid on the third island. Might use it for a while, and have my Brionne (soon to be primarina) focus on stuff besides water moves.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Flagrama posted:

Level 32 with the scaling XP in this game. Are you sure you only fought 50 Rockruffs?

Like I said, in trying to get a "good" Rockruff, I've killed probably several hundred dudes in Ten Carat Hill. It could be more than 50 Rockruffs encountered, probably is in fact

The only dude I like so far besides Rowlet/Dartrix is Gastly, who is now a level 29 Haunter, and I kinda like Crabrawler? And I really like Rockruff

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
The recent starters seem to be better because they have a more natural diverse move set (not depending on TMs) and wider typing. Like in Gen 1 Blastoise, Charizard and Venusaur could only learn moves from their types (and Normal moves) barring using TMs on them and that really limit them. Now Blastoise can learn Flash Cannon and basically any gun-like move and Charizard a ton of Dragon moves and Venusaur is just mommy's special little boy

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I just run from Pokemon I'm not trying to catch. :stare:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Ha haaa gently caress the water totem. He called an Amolamola and it just kept healing him to full. :saddowns:

i one-shot the water totem and never got an amolamola called

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
This is the first generation where I have ever caught a mon beyond my active team of six and actively wanted all seven. New mons are good, Alolan forms are good, and I guess if you held a gun to my head I'd keep some of the old ones too. Wish I could evolve a Kadabra without doing any work at all.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Dr Pepper posted:

I just run from Pokemon I'm not trying to catch. :stare:

this, but without the lame smiley at the end

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

EclecticTastes posted:

I've noticed that the starters in this generation, and Gen 6, are truly monstrous combatants. I don't know if it's their movepools or what, but they seem to kick way more rear end than the starters in previous generations, and older starters tended to be pretty good already, with a few exceptions.

Can anyone who's using wrestle cat and robin hoot confirm this as true? Are they murder machines like mermaid seal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Can anyone who's using wrestle cat and robin hoot confirm this as true? Are they murder machines like mermaid seal?

decidueye's pretty dope but the low speed is kinda getting on my nerves