Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Same here, just a regular guy who maxes RRSP, tuition credits and sets up a very common family trust corp to dividend out income to family members and evenly distribute lifetime capital gains exemptions from sale of capital. Who we really need to target are the rich people with mansions and fancy cars and chinese accents.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

It's the lizard inside trying to break through.

He reminds me of that fat lizard chef from the new star wars who serves Ewan Mcgregor space drinks

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

shocking

quote:

OTTAWA — New Democrat MP Charlie Angus — a no-nonsense “character” by all accounts — is expected to announce a federal leadership bid soon, sources say.

The race to find a leader by next October is empty so far. B.C. MP Peter Julian recently stepped down as House leader to consider his own candidacy, but hasn’t announced a decision yet.

An NDP insider said Angus has notified party leadership he’s planning to step out of his position as caucus chair, probably before the holidays. An announcement is likely to come soon after that.

(i'm hearing Niki might not run, though :toot:)

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

CLAM DOWN posted:

He reminds me of that fat lizard chef from the new star wars who serves Ewan Mcgregor space drinks

That's old new Star Wars -- the bad one. The new new Star Wars is good as gently caress and luckily doesn't involve that thing or Ewan McGregor.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
But Ewe and Macdonald was the best thing after the Emperor in the prequels. I'd like to see him come back, at least.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Pinterest Mom posted:

shocking

(i'm hearing Niki might not run, though :toot:)

Im not familiar with Charlie Angus outside of his terrible band. Is he basically just another Layton/Mulcair clone?

The NDP is going to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory once again arent they? :saddowns:

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Furnaceface posted:

Im not familiar with Charlie Angus outside of his terrible band. Is he basically just another Layton/Mulcair clone?

The NDP is going to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory once again arent they? :saddowns:

That would imply they are in the running for anything other than a third place showing right from the start.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Furnaceface posted:

I don't know what "basically another Layton/Mulcair clone" means. Tom and Jack are very different from one another?

Charlie's different, I guess. Northern Ontario, so not a big city elite. Doesn't come from a line of politicians like Jack did, much more of a small-town community-minded activist than Tom ever was, and actually has a personal touch and is capable of retail politics unlike Tom. Doesn't speak any kind of real French.

Pinterest Mom fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Nov 22, 2016

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
Honestly, Angus was the first federal politician I ever had contact with, ever. It was around the time when ACTA was being flouted about, and he was the only one making any noise about it. It was back when digital copyright had turned from the driest thing ever into a sudden hot-button issue, though retrospect the NDP might've been interested in it because of the same reasons why the TPP caused such a fuss. I mailed him thanking him for advocating the issue, and he actually took the time to write back.

I've only ever had positive experiences with him, but I can also see why he might have trouble doing well in large cities and Francophone areas of the country.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I just want to say to Justin Trudeau: go gently caress yourselfie.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

eXXon posted:

I just want to say to Justin Trudeau: go gently caress yourselfie.

Hi there sir, I had to come over and meet the man behind the sign. Very clever! Just the kind of thing to get under the skin of those politically correct Libs.

Say, do you have a moment to talk about Kellie Leitch, the fresh new leader of the Conservative Party?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Sorry, I'm all out of material for the week. If you want some more laughs maybe check out the Beaverton or read that email your uncle forwarded.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
There was an article a few weeks back in one of the national newspapers suggesting Angus might run a more "populist" campaign closer to the NDP's rural roots, now that Trump and Brexit have shown that there may be gold in them hills.

What that would actually look like in practice and whether Angus actually wants to do that is anyone's guess, but he would be a logical candidate to embody a shift in rhetoric given his different background compared to Layton or Mulcair.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Helsing posted:

There was an article a few weeks back in one of the national newspapers suggesting Angus might run a more "populist" campaign closer to the NDP's rural roots, now that Trump and Brexit have shown that there may be gold in them hills.

What that would actually look like in practice and whether Angus actually wants to do that is anyone's guess, but he would be a logical candidate to embody a shift in rhetoric given his different background compared to Layton or Mulcair.

The NDP going back to its rural roots would do better in the long term.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

OSI bean dip posted:

The NDP going back to its rural roots would do better in the long term.

If it's along the lines of "Neo-liberal elites are bleeding our country dry and we need to bring back power to the people!" I can get behind that. Something that unites both blue and white collar workers.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Excelsiortothemax posted:

If it's along the lines of "Neo-liberal elites are bleeding our country dry and we need to bring back power to the people!" I can get behind that. Something that unites both blue and white collar workers.

Middle Class Tax Cuts?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Former Ombudsthingy and not-really-a-bigot-I-swear Andre Marin says he lost the PC race in Ottawa-Vanier because Patrick Brown's backwards social conservativism isn't the sort of thing the kids are voting for these days. Except of course in the places where people literally do vote for those things.

quote:

André Marin went into the byelection in Ottawa-Vanier on Thursday expecting to win. The party’s internal numbers showed a close race.

As it turned out, the Liberals won with a hefty 19-point margin in the polls, though the PCs did show their best results in the riding in 50 years.

Speaking after the loss, Marin was blunt in his outlook for the party. He declared that social conservatives need to be put “in their place” by PC leader Patrick Brown, as they constitute “a threat to the party.”

“If they start calling some of the shots, I think you’ll see a very fast erosion in the popularity of the Progressive Conservative party,” Marin said.

The comments carry particular weight given the other byelection that took place on Thursday in Niagara-West Glanbrook. That’s where 19-year-old university student Sam Oosterhoff swiped the nomination from PC party president Rick Dykstra. Oosterhoff, who won the byelection easily in the safe PC riding, is an avowedly pro-life candidate backed by the anti-sex-ed movement.

Marin also addressed a mini-scandal during the campaign that the Liberals took full advantage of: A tweet sent out by PC party staff that included his campaign manager declaring her support for Donald Trump. The tweet was hastily deleted, but the Liberals mailed a screenshot of it to homes in the riding.

“In this byelection, it’s time to send a message,” the bilingual Liberal mail-out said. “We are a progressive, inclusive community. And what happened in the U.S. will not happen here.”

It's almost as though Ontario voters think the ballot is actually some kind of quiz. "Find and circle the party currently representing your riding".

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
If you look in a mirror and say "Middle-Class" three times, Justin Trudeau appears behind you and takes a selfie

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

flakeloaf posted:

Former Ombudsthingy and not-really-a-bigot-I-swear Andre Marin says he lost the PC race in Ottawa-Vanier because Patrick Brown's backwards social conservativism isn't the sort of thing the kids are voting for these days. Except of course in the places where people literally do vote for those things.

It's almost as though Ontario voters think the ballot is actually some kind of quiz. "Find and circle the party currently representing your riding".

Honestly, judging by Brexit and some of the reactions to it, I'm convinced there is a significant portion of the electorate that literally does not understand what voting is.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Andre Marin always struck me as too decent a fellow to get mixed up with the OPCs. Maybe to be an Ontario politician generally.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

flakeloaf posted:

It's almost as though Ontario voters think the ballot is actually some kind of quiz. "Find and circle the party currently representing the best way to gently caress over the people you hate".

I think this better represents the Ontario voter mindset, at the provincial level anyway.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

DariusLikewise posted:

If you look in a mirror and say "Middle-Class" three times, Justin Trudeau appears behind you and takes a selfie

Well either that or you have $1500 and business pending regulatory approval. Either/or.

quote:

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau was the top draw at a $1,500 Liberal Party cash-for-access fundraiser at the mansion of a wealthy Chinese-Canadian business executive in May. One of the guests at the event was a well-heeled donor who was seeking Ottawa’s final approval to begin operating a new bank aimed at Canada’s Chinese community.

The Globe and Mail has learned that wealthy Chinese businessman Zhang Bin who, with a partner, donated $1-million to the Pierre Elliott Trudeau Foundation and the University of Montreal Faculty of Law weeks after the fundraiser, also attended the event. Mr. Zhang is a political adviser to the Chinese government in Beijing and a senior apparatchik in the network of Chinese state promotional activities around the world.

Chinese Business Chamber of Commerce chair Benson Wong played host to Mr. Trudeau and 32 other people at his Toronto home. Among the donors was insurance tycoon Shenglin Xian, the founder of Wealth One Bank of Canada, and several Chinese billionaires.

At the time, Mr. Xian, president of Toronto-based Shenglin Financial Group Inc., was waiting for final approval from federal bank regulators for his Schedule 1 bank to start business in Canada. Schedule 1 banks are domestic, not foreign, and authorized to accept deposits in Canada.

Attending the fundraiser appears to breach the ethical rules laid down by Mr. Trudeau after he took office. These “Open and Accountable Government” rules state “there should be no preferential access, or appearance of preferential access” in exchange for political donations.

The fundraiser also appears to violate Liberal Party guidelines that require party officials to ban anyone from attending a fundraiser if they have direct business interests before the government.

But it's okay because

quote:

Liberal Party spokesman Braeden Caley played down the presence of Mr. Xian at the elite Trudeau fundraiser, and maintained Wealth One’s application was not discussed.

“As we have been clear, fundraising events are partisan functions where there is not discussion of official government business. Any individual who wishes to initiate a discussion on such matters is immediately redirected to instead make an appointment with the relevant office,” Mr. Caley said in an e-mail to The Globe. “As a political party, the Liberal Party of Canada is not aware of proposals to government – and any such information sharing would be inappropriate.”

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Is there a point where the Liberals become worse than the Cons?

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

DariusLikewise posted:

How shirtless and oiled is he? Asking for a friend.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Furnaceface posted:

It's incredible how fast this thread forgot about Harper.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Furnaceface posted:

Define "worse".

They aren't becoming anything though, this is exactly how the Liberal government has worked for decades. Despite the rhetoric of the election nothing has changed in their style of governance or legislative priorities.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Nathan Cullen was on CBC radio this morning talking about electoral reform. He was saying how the consultations the liberals have done have been pretty worthless, asking questions like "do you feel connected to your communities" or "do you like democracy" or something and not really trying to figure out what solution would work best.

Then he went on to explain why he now supports a referendum. He did admit there are bad ways to run one and mentioned BC and Ontario. Then said he liked the ranked ballot method with several possible options that they used in the maritimes for a referendum they held there and also mentioned he liked that they lowered the voting age a couple of years for that one vote and saw huge turnout and engagement with youth.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Furnaceface posted:

With that, the daughter leapt onto the stage, ripped off her pants and turned millions of people into second-class citizens. The father told the son to stop learning or observing the world around them, and threw destroyed decades of research in the dumpster. Then the mother pulled out her credit card and committed to broken planes that not even the Americans are using to explode things, and she phoned the RCMP to literally commit terrorist acts. Then the dog and the baby called the US ambassador and asked them to put us on a copyright watchlist so our presence on that list could be use to justify overarching legislation that hemmed in free speech. The dog also agreed to sign the TPP. Then the mother, the baby, the dog and what was left of the daughter, wasted millions of dollars defending unwinnable civil rights lawsuits, passed unconstitutional laws and then wasted millions of dollars defending the inevitable lawsuits to have them repealed, while the father turned a pretty big swath of Alberta into Mordor in an attempt to turn us into a petrostate.

"poo poo", said the agent, "That's one hell of an act. I'd ask what you call it, but we just booked a guy who drags his feet on cleaning up messes and charges people to go to fundraisers. Thanks anyway."

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

CLAM DOWN posted:

At this point Im failing to see the difference between the Harper Cons and Trudeau Libs. Aside from optics anyway. Harper just rammed it in while Trudeau lubed up first.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Furnaceface posted:

At this point Im failing to see the difference between the Harper Cons and Trudeau Libs. Aside from optics anyway. Harper just rammed it in while Trudeau lubed up first.

Sounds like a pretty big difference to me.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

CLAM DOWN posted:

My opinion has always been that both parties are unapologetically corporatist and the only difference is that the LPC feigns interest in the people to wait them out before implementing identical legislation. The LPC has not removed any of the corporatist, pro-inequality legislation since taking office and they have now walked back from almost every progressive major campaign promise.

In Canada it doesn't matter who is the MP or Prime Minister because they are simply warm bodies to push through legislation written by industry lawyers lobbied by industry lobbyists. None of them read legislation or write legislation, they just vote based on how the party directs them.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

Booze-inflicted, rose-tinted glasses.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Furnaceface posted:

The difference is Trudeau is a better conservative, he's approving pipelines that will pay for a transition to renewables and everyone loves it cause he also walks around with gay people a few times every summer.

NDP lost their opportunity but I do like a rural friendly Charlie Angus, shame he'll be wasted 4 years into a 12 year Trudeau run.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Furnaceface posted:

“Crocodiles are easy. They try to kill and eat you. People are harder. Sometimes they pretend to be your friend first.” -Steve Irwin.

At least harper was a Crocodile.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Powershift posted:

“Crocodiles are easy. They try to kill and eat you. People are harder. Sometimes they pretend to be your friend first.” -Steve Irwin.

At least harper was a Crocodile.

Who's the stingray?

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Someone please post instances of Rosemary Barton and Carol Off owning scrubs on air. I think it is my fetish.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

infernal machines posted:

Who's the stingray?

Mulcair. Doesn't look like it'll kill you on the face of it but boy oh boy does it do the job

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

TheKingofSprings posted:

Mulcair. Doesn't look like it'll kill you on the face of it but boy oh boy does it break your heart

ftfy

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Yowza!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

oh
https://twitter.com/davidakin/status/801126207521783809