Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Niton posted:

Rural states run the Senate compared to their heavily-populated counterparts, and become increasingly more powerful every cycle in which the House isn't expanded. It's not a problem because the Republicans won the electoral vote - it's a problem because the Electoral college is gradually becoming worse at representing the will of the people, rather than better. This is the second time in my lifetime this has happened, and there's little suggesting it won't happen a third time - or that it won't happen NEXT ELECTORAL CYCLE.

No, it's a problem cause Dems have abandoned everything but the coasts. We were on this path to lose. If we didn't have the EC, it would've happened later, but the candidate would probably be more extreme than trump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Crowsbeak posted:

It gets better.

Seriously I wonder if she reads this forum.

What glorious butt is pooping these awesome comics?

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
I heard many Hillary plans described during the debates and the convention speech. I didn't see the ads so maybe that's where they fell down. But I'm having a hard time understanding how anyone could watch the debates and the convention speech without knowing what her major plans were.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Why HUD? Why not Health and Human Services, Secretary-General, or Veterans Affairs (for the healthcare parts)? Why put Dr. Carson, esteemed as the most successful black Republican candidate for President so far, in charge of the department responsible for preventing housing discrimination? After all, if it's about his qualifications as a rousing politician and dignitary, Secretary of State would do more to bolster his promising career. It just doesn't add up.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Carson doesn't want an actual job where he needs to do actual things. His extended booktour disguised as a Presidential campaign shows that clear as day.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

galenanorth posted:

Why HUD? Why not Health and Human Services, Secretary-General, or Veterans Affairs (for the healthcare parts)? Why put Dr. Carson, esteemed as the most successful black Republican candidate for President so far, in charge of the department responsible for preventing housing discrimination? After all, if it's about his qualifications as a rousing politician and dignitary, Secretary of State would do more to bolster his promising career. It just doesn't add up.

Let's rephrase your question slightly differently, and you might find the answer:

What is it about Ben Carson which might make him qualified to be the Secretary for Housing and Urban Development?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Didn't Carson already turn down a cabinet post

Did... did Trump already forget

Look, he's black, urban is right there in the name, that's all Trump needs to know.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

He's hip and happening with the young people. He likes everything they like. Nap time and such, he's down with all of it.

Edit: I edited out diapers. He's not old enough for that joke and that just wasn't fair to David Vitter.

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Nov 22, 2016

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
The real question is whether HUD Secretary gets you a plaque you can hang in your basement next to all your honorary degrees.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Carson doesn't want an actual job where he needs to do actual things. His extended booktour disguised as a Presidential campaign shows that clear as day.

this is exactly it. a week ago carson said he didn't want to be a federal bureaucrat, so if all he has to do is be the HUD secretary as trump puts HUD on pause for four years at best, or starts actively dismantling it at worst. either way carson doesn't have to lift a finger

i dont think carson is lazy. as of september he's retirement age. he had an accomplished career, and can sit around and do nothing for the rest of his life as far as i'm concerned. but if you're really into the idea of being a Notable Person who does things and sits on boards and stuff, but you'd really rather wake up at noon and change into your sweatpants, well, there may be one way to reconcile those desires...

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Nov 22, 2016

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Trump should offer HUD to The Mittster as a way of loving with him

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Raenir Salazar posted:

There needs to be some kind of major scifi reconstruction of the rural America to not be lovely but this also means shifting a few million people out of there one way or another; free market forces will take care of most of it over time if you give them enough money in their pocket but at some point the government just needs to be willing to go "Sorry, it isn't cost effective when robots can do the work you're doing here, here take some cash and gtfo."

The US needs a new New Deal.

Oh, I'm sure the tribes would love some Bizzarro-Andrew Jackson.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Condiv posted:

No, it's a problem cause Dems have abandoned everything but the coasts. We were on this path to lose. If we didn't have the EC, it would've happened later, but the candidate would probably be more extreme than trump
And you don't think a system that weights some citizens' votes above others might be a problem? The less populated your state is, the more influence you have in the Senate. The EC isn't quite as bad, but it's still weighted in favor of less-populous states.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Lightning Knight posted:

You do realize that the Republicans defeated the Democrats and brought on the rise of Third Wayism and Bill Clinton specifically because they convinced union workers that making GBS threads on black people was more important than paying attention to labor policy.

The illustrative lesson of the Southern Strategy isn't "Democrats didn't abandon unions," it's "don't think that union workers are reliable allies because they've chosen racial hatred over class before."

ah, it was all the unions fault that dems started ignoring them. it's a wonder dems are having trouble winning when they blame all their woes on voters

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Lol at Carson for HUDSEC. All new multifamily units must include a tetrahedral structure of no less than 8 cubits on any side and no less than 8 cubits in height, designed and built for the purpose of cereal storage.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

FactsAreUseless posted:

And you don't think a system that weights some citizens' votes above others might be a problem? The less populated your state is, the more influence you have in the Senate. The EC isn't quite as bad, but it's still weighted in favor of less-populous states.

i did think abolishing the EC was a good idea until it became obvious that coastal dems are happy to leave states like mine to rot. you remember when boner confessor said "maybe you should move to a rural state if you want your vote to count more"? we get a constant stream of a similar sentiment "why don't you move if you don't want to be horrifically poor?"

Condiv fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Nov 22, 2016

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Raenir Salazar posted:

There needs to be some kind of major scifi reconstruction of the rural America to not be lovely but this also means shifting a few million people out of there one way or another; free market forces will take care of most of it over time if you give them enough money in their pocket but at some point the government just needs to be willing to go "Sorry, it isn't cost effective when robots can do the work you're doing here, here take some cash and gtfo."

The US needs a new New Deal.

Things like Rural/Municipal Broadband, treating addiction as a metal illness and whatnot are desperately needed by Rural America. But Rural America is also the biggest opponent of those measures.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Star Man posted:

lol

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Condiv posted:

i did until it became obvious that coastal dems are happy to leave states like mine to rot. you remember when boner confessor said "maybe you should move to a rural state if you want your vote to count more"? we get a constant stream of a similar sentiment "why don't you move if you don't want to be horrifically poor?"

What would you tell a black working class guy from Detroit to do after his factory closed down, leaving nothing but unemployment and crime in his area?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Condiv posted:

ah, it was all the unions fault that dems started ignoring them. it's a wonder dems are having trouble winning when they blame all their woes on voters

You are remarkably dead set on ignoring American history and being self-righteous about how smart you are while doing it. It's like the very concept that the electorate actually chose conservative politicians for lovely, selfish, hateful reasons just doesn't occur to you.

Like, remember, the Democrats ran two back to back fairly progressive and left wing candidates, for their time. They got blown out of the water by a conservative rear end in a top hat, literally obliterated from orbit.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Condiv posted:

i did think abolishing the EC was a good idea until it became obvious that coastal dems are happy to leave states like mine to rot. you remember when boner confessor said "maybe you should move to a rural state if you want your vote to count more"? we get a constant stream of a similar sentiment "why don't you move if you don't want to be horrifically poor?"

yes please get really upset and change your political viewpoint because you are bad at processing sarcasm on the something awful forums lmao

this is just like when tons of people were yelling about how people being mean to each other on reddit cost hillary the election rofl

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
As someone who is visiting his parents in his home town in the least pophlated state in the country, I sure do wish they got less representation and suffered more.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

BarbarianElephant posted:

What would you tell a black working class guy from Detroit to do after his factory closed down, leaving nothing but unemployment and crime in his area?

probably not "move somewhere better"

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Condiv posted:

I live in a small town in a red state. I hear people say this poo poo about cities all the time. It's a dumb idea on any side, and should be treated as one, but it doesn't change the fact that our electoral system is manipulated in ways that deliberately disenfranchise voters. Electoral College is part of that, but not the sole issue.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Star Man posted:

My GOTO example is the METI.

I'd much prefer the country flip from being a poor person area to a rich person area, and consolidate all of the small villages and towns; you don't need a town whose only purpose is to refuel trucks passing by, one day soon it'll be robots manning the trucks, so no need for diners along the road; and at that point, why not automate the gas stations to?

My suggestion is for the government to buy and retrofit the gas station/diner so the previous old owners have the money to move to the city or a cushy suburb and let market forces handle the rest.

The other suggestion is that massive infrastructure projects, like entirely rebuilding the infrastructure to be "Ready" for automation, would give people enough income to make the smart decision themselves if you weigh the scales enough; package it together with tax cuts and benefits to move once the job is done.

Once the population density is down to a few per square kilometer than you can discuss additional measures to further consolidate it; make it so that the only people living there are either wealthy enough, or they are people needed for the services those wealthy people require.

In any case, the standard of living should climb considerably.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

BarbarianElephant posted:

You keep banging on about Democrats having no plans for white blue collar guys. What do you think they should have said?

You're the one that keeps on adding "white" in there. These people by and large don't care about the people working next to them, doubly so if they're getting a fair days pay.

For starters we need a new new deal and slowly get it into people's heads that a hard days work isn't necessary to survive as we move into an automated economy. For that to happen though, people need to feel listened to and that their politicians aren't actively trying to gently caress them

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Business Gorillas posted:

For starters we need a new new deal and slowly get it into people's heads that a hard days work isn't necessary to survive as we move into an automated economy. For that to happen though, people need to feel listened to and that their politicians aren't actively trying to gently caress them

"we need for the masses to completely reject republican thinking and get on board with full communism now. for that to happen though, people first need to feel like the craven neoliberal democrats are looking out for their best interests by not passing minimum wage hikes for undeserving poors"

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

You're the one that keeps on adding "white" in there. These people by and large don't care about the people working next to them, doubly so if they're getting a fair days pay.

They don't hate the people who work alongside them, but they do hate the urban poor, and their image of the urban poor is predominantly as black and Latinos.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

FactsAreUseless posted:

I live in a small town in a red state. I hear people say this poo poo about cities all the time. It's a dumb idea on any side, and should be treated as one, but it doesn't change the fact that our electoral system is manipulated in ways that deliberately disenfranchise voters. Electoral College is part of that, but not the sole issue.

it's legit bad but it's also unfair in a way that favors both the political establishment that could change it (whose political machine is built around the EC) and a significant body of voters who correctly surmise they'll be basically purged by a majority that despises them without it, so it's not going anywhere.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Nov 22, 2016

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

I saw a few reporters tweet that Manafort is in meetings at Trump Tower today.
:laffo:

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Lightning Knight posted:

You are remarkably dead set on ignoring American history and being self-righteous about how smart you are while doing it. It's like the very concept that the electorate actually chose conservative politicians for lovely, selfish, hateful reasons just doesn't occur to you.

Like, remember, the Democrats ran two back to back fairly progressive and left wing candidates, for their time. They got blown out of the water by a conservative rear end in a top hat, literally obliterated from orbit.

"Why should we bother with these people who have bought into the lie that their problems can be solved by punching down? Why bother trying to teach them to punch up?" - a leftist

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

We need them to continue getting shat on so their children grow up having no faith whatsoever in capitalism. All other solutions are politically infeasible or ineffective.

There, I said it.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Here, let me spell it out for anyone that doesn't get it:

I don't think Native Americans would take kindly to relocating off the reservations with incentives, even if it were for their "own good."

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I forgot about the natives, there should be a specially tweaked one for them; mainly to boost living standards and not meant to encourage them to move; internet, good roads, rebuilt high tech schools, more funding; maybe give them back some of the land we empty out of poor white people and let them make use of it; maybe just entirely rebuild every native majority town by world class architects to replace anything that was cheap/drab with buildings that better reflect their culture; this should help them in a more targeted way.

Xae posted:

Things like Rural/Municipal Broadband, treating addiction as a metal illness and whatnot are desperately needed by Rural America. But Rural America is also the biggest opponent of those measures.

Stuff like this to; the people that remain should have amenities necessary for 21st century living be provided at government cost as a part of that infrastructure project I was suggesting. Light rail to connect the consolidated towns, and so on.

sumie
Mar 29, 2006
GUERNSEY (adj.)

Queasy but umbowed. The kind of feeling one gets when discovering a
plastic compartment in a fridge in which thing are growing.

FactsAreUseless posted:

And very little time is spent how electoral college with winner take all states reinforces the two party system as well, which is also pretty serious problem

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

TheScott2K posted:

We need them to continue getting shat on so their children grow up having no faith whatsoever in capitalism. All other solutions are politically infeasible or ineffective.

There, I said it.

Hmm yeah let's give them no option while a section of the elite is more than happy to paint minorities as the cause of their problems. Hope this turns out okay!

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

boner confessor posted:

yes please get really upset and change your political viewpoint because you are bad at processing sarcasm on the something awful forums lmao

this is just like when tons of people were yelling about how people being mean to each other on reddit cost hillary the election rofl

no, it's not sarcasm, sorry

FactsAreUseless posted:

i'm not gonna pretend the EC doesn't have issues, after all i was against it before now. at the same time I feel like poorer states would be even more ignored without it.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

"Why should we bother with these people who have bought into the lie that their problems can be solved by punching down? Why bother trying to teach them to punch up?" - a leftist

I have never said why bother. I have said that the delusion being pushed by a lot of you in the thread that it will be easy or go swimmingly or that there will be no tension between groups that have traditionally hated each other is stupid.

Like people in this thread seem to not understand why minorities who vote Democrat might not want these people involved. They, historically, have happily voted for lovely politicians who ran on "gently caress minorities." Of course they don't want them in the party. We may need them to win, but stop acting like it isn't going to be a monumental task to get everyone to work together.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Condiv posted:

I have great sympathy to people who want to live in rural areas and work with their hands, but those days in America are over. I get that people have attachment to "working with your hands" and "making something" but we have simply become too productive for that to be a viable career for a large portion of our population. We of course must do all we can, including a mincome if necessary, to make sure that as our economy transitions the risk is on private corporations not their workers; but you have to meet us halfway. Yes you may have to move into the city, yes you might have to live in an apartment, and yes you might have to use public transit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Lightning Knight posted:

They don't hate the people who work alongside them, but they do hate the urban poor, and their image of the urban poor is predominantly as black and Latinos.

'they' are a bunch of dudes stuck in rotting rowhouses and trailer parks watching their family die of oxy while some smug millionaire city slicker on TV offers them food stamps in place of their 9-to-5 and calls them ungrateful stupid hicks, you're thinking of comfortable white-collar bougies like yourself who have the free time and lack of actual problems in their lives to obsess over what some ghetto kid they'll never meet is up to.

Raenir Salazar posted:

I forgot about the natives, there should be a specially tweaked one for them; mainly to boost living standards and not meant to encourage them to move; internet, good roads, rebuilt high tech schools, more funding; maybe give them back some of the land we empty out of poor white people and let them make use of it; maybe just entirely rebuild every native majority town by world class architects to replace anything that was cheap/drab with buildings that better reflect their culture; this should help them in a more targeted way.

Stuff like this to; the people that remain should have amenities necessary for 21st century living be provided at government cost as a part of that infrastructure project I was suggesting. Light rail to connect the consolidated towns, and so on.

Agreed, there should be a strict blood quantum test to determine whether poor people are offered government aid or told to move to the city and find themselves a steam vent.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Nov 22, 2016

• Locked thread