Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Negrostrike posted:

Isn't Chuy on the Uruguayan-Brazilian border? Will you boludos try to annex Uruguay? Them's fightin words!
Annex ??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siselmo
Jun 16, 2013

hey there
I don't remember if it was here or in Mexicali, but I heard on local radio news about a woman screaming to a group of Haitians to "speak Spanish "

gdi mexico whyyy :negative:, it's like those posts calling out Trump while at the same time calling Guatemalans "criminals"

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Siselmo posted:

I don't remember if it was here or in Mexicali, but I heard on local radio news about a woman screaming to a group of Haitians to "speak Spanish "

Reminded me of this.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
Considering that football players in South America have gotten killed as punishment for allegedly screwing up their team, do you think Anthony Weiner would be decapitated if he was a Colombian or Brazilian politician?

Also, regarding the Argentinean wall... The last time I was in Chile I noticed a lot of Brazilians, Argentineans and Ecuadorian people there, so I'm guessing a wall would keep Argentineans inside of Argentina.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Non Serviam posted:

Considering that football players in South America have gotten killed as punishment for allegedly screwing up their team, do you think Anthony Weiner would be decapitated if he was a Colombian or Brazilian politician?

Also, regarding the Argentinean wall... The last time I was in Chile I noticed a lot of Brazilians, Argentineans and Ecuadorian people there, so I'm guessing a wall would keep Argentineans inside of Argentina.

What would happen to Argentina if a giant wall suddenly cut off all their imports?

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

joepinetree posted:

Back in 2004, the Lula government was quietly rooting for a Bush win, because at that point Republicans essentially ignored South America while democrats wanted to push the FTAA.

Ah yes, I remember the ALCA. It would have passed, too, but fortunately it was quietly dropped aside and left to die when the Bush administration morphed fully into anti-terror mode.

Al Gore may be remembered as the anti-Bush alternative and current green crusader, but back then he was implicated in some bad lobbying regarding South America (that no one gave a crap about), most notoriously pushing his favorites to be hired in Brazil for the SIVAM defense project. Modern Republicans have the reputation of at least ignoring you, unless they are actively bombing you. Dems take a more active hand in keeping the bloc in ideological lockstep.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!
Dubya was a cool dude who sent us a plane full of money to save us from a crisis. The democrats would have left us to die

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-38010060

sigh

Pack it up folks, the world is doomed.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Well a Trump White House is probably the most likely time for another Operation Condor, so they may be in luck

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Nnnnneat.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Well a Trump White House is probably the most likely time for another Operation Condor, so they may be in luck

Yes Hillary would never do that

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

One of the geniuses that did this posted a video on facebook claiming that there was a red symbol in congress that was a sign of the communist influence there. Turns out that the red symbol was the Japanese flag.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

joepinetree posted:

One of the geniuses that did this posted a video on facebook claiming that there was a red symbol in congress that was a sign of the communist influence there. Turns out that the red symbol was the Japanese flag.

lol

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Good thing there's no chance this political vibe ever becomes a real thing in the elections, huh, these people are too dumb to EVER make it anywhere!

:v:

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

sigh.. it's been a pretty poo poo week.

As most of the brazilians here probably know, over a thousand schools across the country are being occupied by students and teachers in opposition to the constitutional amendment that freezes health and education expenditures for the next 20 years. This Thursday a student from Goiás was shot dead by his father in an airport after a political discussion about the occupations and the student movement as a whole. The 60 year old father then committed suicide.

He identified as anarchist, and his case is being well divulged by anarchist facebook pages and blogs.

On the flip side the usual suspects are supporting the father's actions saying these lazy vandals deserve death, this death is on the student movement's lap, etc. Not exactly sure how can someone defend family values through familial murder-suicide, but here we are.

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010
^^^^ Holy gently caress that's awful

joepinetree posted:

Doesn't Brazil have one of the biggest Japanese exodus communities in the world?

Also I don't know what those morons are complaining about, they already got their coup.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

She's just another fuckin commie! Look at her lipstick!

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Negrostrike posted:

She's just another fuckin commie! Look at her lipstick!

You should see her blood! Stalin all the way

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Reminder that there were people in this country who said the bike lanes being sort of reddish was a communist plot.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Former Rio de Janeiro governor Anthony Garotinho, who was arrested on vote buying charges, claimed he had heart conditions and got himself interned on a hospital since Wednesday. Judge decided "nah, that's BS" and ordered that he got transferred to the Bangu penitenciary yesterday.

Garotinho didn't take it very well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGKrWTQ1gOU

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Victorious GOP supporters accusing anti-Trump protesters of being paid stooges hired by the democratic party gave me flashbacks of last year, when the pro-Dilma demonstrations were also accused of being staffed by professional protesters earnign30 bucks and a sammich.

As a kid, I hoped the US and Brazil would be similar someday.

Now that it's coming true, I can't help but feel awed at what a nasty troll Fate is.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
Some Latin American countries have passed pretty progressive pro-LGBT legislation over past decade or so. Are there attempts to undermine and undo it the way it is happening in the US and parts of Europe? Is there a lot of homophobia on the ground even when discrimination is officially banned?

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(

Sephyr posted:

Victorious GOP supporters accusing anti-Trump protesters of being paid stooges hired by the democratic party gave me flashbacks of last year, when the pro-Dilma demonstrations were also accused of being staffed by professional protesters earnign30 bucks and a sammich.

Not even a Coke? Shameful paid protestor industry in Brasil compared to Argentina.

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010

Mr. Nemo posted:

Not even a Coke? Shameful paid protestor industry in Brasil compared to Argentina.

Word. Choripan > sandwich.

Forgall posted:

Some Latin American countries have passed pretty progressive pro-LGBT legislation over past decade or so. Are there attempts to undermine and undo it the way it is happening in the US and parts of Europe? Is there a lot of homophobia on the ground even when discrimination is officially banned?

Well, I can't give you concrete examples, but remember the catholic church is very much entrenched in Latin America. I don't remember if there were protests in Argentina when same sex marriage was legalized, but I do remember they go crazy every time we try to legalize abortion.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Forgall posted:

The Brazilian evangelicals gained a lot of ground in congress and the recent mayoral elections and were vehemently against sex education programs that portrayed homosexuality, same sex adoption and marriage and are slowly getting in a position to repeal those

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010
I'm actually curious, has any modern democracy ever walked back on same sex marriage? Seems like it would be a burocratic clusterfuck to undo all those marriages (and probably illegal/unconstitutional in many places).

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

The Brazilian evangelicals gained a lot of ground in congress and the recent mayoral elections and were vehemently against sex education programs that portrayed homosexuality, same sex adoption and marriage and are slowly getting in a position to repeal those

This. The Catholic church was mostly hands-off against it. They didn't bring it up and made vague noises about family values when asked. The evangelicals make it a cornerstone of their identity and platform. Just by tolerating LGBT people, you are somehow forcing them to become gay themselves like the commie tyrant you are.

I play World of warcraft at a brazilian server and the trade channel is basically all Bolsonaro minions howling about 1-How they are not going to turn gay like 'we' want them to and 2- How everyone else is addicted to black dick just to spite them. They seem quite fixated on afro-brazilian penises, oddly. I guess they make you gayer than regular dicks.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Markovnikov posted:

Well, I can't give you concrete examples, but remember the catholic church is very much entrenched in Latin America. I don't remember if there were protests in Argentina when same sex marriage was legalized, but I do remember they go crazy every time we try to legalize abortion.
The fact that those laws got passed in the first place despite fairly religious population gave me some hope that maybe even conservatives in parts of LA isn't super anti-lgbt.

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Yeah, based on reading this thread not a lot of things are going well in Brazil :smith:

Markovnikov posted:

I'm actually curious, has any modern democracy ever walked back on same sex marriage? Seems like it would be a burocratic clusterfuck to undo all those marriages (and probably illegal/unconstitutional in many places).
US might now. Also at least one French presidential candidate wanted to do that.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Sephyr posted:

This. The Catholic church was mostly hands-off against it. They didn't bring it up and made vague noises about family values when asked. The evangelicals make it a cornerstone of their identity and platform. Just by tolerating LGBT people, you are somehow forcing them to become gay themselves like the commie tyrant you are.

I play World of warcraft at a brazilian server and the trade channel is basically all Bolsonaro minions howling about 1-How they are not going to turn gay like 'we' want them to and 2- How everyone else is addicted to black dick just to spite them. They seem quite fixated on afro-brazilian penises, oddly. I guess they make you gayer than regular dicks.

I was gonna say that people who can't shut up about communists have a subtle racist/homophobic tendency but welp...

So yeah, they're getting a lot of momentum so I'm not optimistic Forgall.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Are evangelicals a thing in the rest of South America as much as they are in Brazil? From keeping up with the news it seems like they have way more influence there than anywhere else.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Sephyr posted:

I play World of warcraft at a brazilian server

You brought this upon yourself

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Symbolic Butt posted:

I was gonna say that people who can't shut up about communists have a subtle racist/homophobic tendency but welp...

Communism is a cancer, separate from race and gender, forum poster Symbolic Butt.

I have absolutely noticed the weird phallic obsession on parts of the right though. The whole "cuck" thing is just a bizarre insult that the alt right loves.

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

The Taurus didn't offer much for drivers craving the sport sedan experience. That changed with the 1989 debut of the Ford Taurus SHO (for Super High Output), a Q-ship of the finest order that offered up a high-revving Yamaha-designed V-6 engine and a tight sport suspension.

Badger of Basra posted:

Are evangelicals a thing in the rest of South America as much as they are in Brazil? From keeping up with the news it seems like they have way more influence there than anywhere else.

I live in a working class neighborhood in the interior of Argentina and we have dozens of "evangelical" "temples" in a 1km radius. Some are your usual Brazilian-esque pastors-with-black-suits evangelical, others are clearly Colombian money laundering schemes. Anyhow, both move hundreds of thousands if not millions per month. I think I should switch careers, lol.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Symbolic Butt posted:

Just in Brazil or everywhere else too?

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Future Days posted:

I live in a working class neighborhood in the interior of Argentina and we have dozens of "evangelical" "temples" in a 1km radius. Some are your usual Brazilian-esque pastors-with-black-suits evangelical, others are clearly Colombian money laundering schemes. Anyhow, both move hundreds of thousands if not millions per month. I think I should switch careers, lol.

Evangelicals are why I don't think the inquisition was a completely bad idea.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Badger of Basra posted:

The Evangelicals in the rest of SA are from Brazil

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I think it blew up here because we love to import all the lovely American things. Then it just spread to the rest of South America, like some sort of conservative cancer.

Also gaming (well, online as a whole) communities are garbage because it's a bunch of anonymous miserable people trying to go for the edgiest thing possible to sound cool. It's a good look into specific racial and social issues tho, I have to say that, although I feel the GLOBALIZATION of prejudice happening - regardless of language everyone is a libertarian that loves Trump and has a weird fetish/hatred for trans women????

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Non Serviam posted:

Communism is a cancer, separate from race and gender, forum poster Symbolic Butt.

That's weird, I thought it was an economic system.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Forgall posted:

Just in Brazil or everywhere else too?

I can't speak for the rest of south america because I don't know much about the current situation for them.

But considering that it's a global trend then... :shrug:

Non Serviam posted:

I have absolutely noticed the weird phallic obsession on parts of the right though. The whole "cuck" thing is just a bizarre insult that the alt right loves.

They conflate the race/gender discussion with the communism thing talking about "Cultural Marxism". Which is basically being butthurt about political correctness, safe spaces, immigrants, multiculturalism whatever... If you've been on the internet you know how it goes.

You don't need to even know anything about Marx to be a communist, you can say stuff like "black people have it harder than white people" and be accused of being a cultural marxist.

Personally I never met anyone who openly talked about black dicks or cuckoldry though, this may be mostly an internet thing.

\/\/\/ I mean as a political thing lol

Symbolic Butt fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Nov 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iB1emwOVZYI