Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Koalas March posted:

Viola Davis is a national treasure.

She is. This gif gets me through so many Discord conversations:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

there wolf posted:

My exposure to vines was pretty limited and mostly through other platforms like tumbler, but the big compilations everyone is doing now that it's shutting down feature a lot of POC. Was there a connection between POC and Vines in particular, or a POC/black community within the community like black twitter?

I don't really know for sure, but my best guess has always been that POCs are more likely to do most of their internet via smartphone and not own a computer or not have solo access to one (shared "homework" computer in the kitchen is pretty common)

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

Before the subject of comic book movies is completely left behind I gotta point out that Angela Bassett got cast in Black Panther and I don't really know how much more lit it can get, but I'm ready

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

double negative posted:

Before the subject of comic book movies is completely left behind I gotta point out that Angela Bassett got cast in Black Panther and I don't really know how much more lit it can get, but I'm ready

She also voiced a character on Bojack Horseman which just blows my mind.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

I don't really know for sure, but my best guess has always been that POCs are more likely to do most of their internet via smartphone and not own a computer or not have solo access to one (shared "homework" computer in the kitchen is pretty common)

It's almost like once the tools of content creation are democratized you start to see more diversity in funny content coming out.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Dexo posted:

It's almost like once the tools of content creation are democratized you start to see more diversity in funny content coming out.

And by diversity, you mean you actually get to see things get originated from the source, which has traditionally always been PoC. Most things modern day white America enjoys culturally has been stolen from a PoC at one point.

Also, to get political for a second. This whole thread is lit.

Worth a read.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Vann is the loving goods. So happy he's writing at the Atlantic and putting out good work.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
If anyone was still in doubt that Keith Ellison is the kind of man you want leading the dem party and helping them formulate new platforms and strategies going forward:

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2016/11/21/1602529/-Keith-Ellison-slams-the-idea-of-giving-Trump-a-chance-We-gave-him-a-chance-It-s-over

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
Why am I not surprised Cracked wrote an article comparing Black Panther to Donald Trump.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

negromancer posted:

Why am I not surprised Cracked wrote an article comparing Black Panther to Donald Trump.

Did they mean in that he is the leader of a country who delegates everything to various corrupt relatives and cronies, visits it once or twice a year for ceremonial occasions, and spends the rest of his time having fun in New York?

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Vanderdeath posted:

She is. This gif gets me through so many Discord conversations:

Hey let's get a discord room goin'

I have so many gifs to offload plus y'all seem like solid people to shoot the poo poo with.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

negromancer posted:

And by diversity, you mean you actually get to see things get originated from the source, which has traditionally always been PoC. Most things modern day white America enjoys culturally has been stolen from a PoC at one point.

Also, to get political for a second. This whole thread is lit.

Worth a read.

If I'd have read that 6 months ago, I'd have dismissed it out of hand, because surely America had made progress these last 50 years. Surely, even if there's still issues with systemic racism, surely we've still made a lot of progress.

But nope. First chance white america gets, they throw anyone who's not white and straight under the loving bus. If it's one good thing that's come out of this election it's to expose how dysfunctional the political system in America has become and just how rotten and smallminded American voters are.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

HotCanadianChick posted:

If anyone was still in doubt that Keith Ellison is the kind of man you want leading the dem party and helping them formulate new platforms and strategies going forward:

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2016/11/21/1602529/-Keith-Ellison-slams-the-idea-of-giving-Trump-a-chance-We-gave-him-a-chance-It-s-over

I love this guy. He has the passion and the energy needed to motivate the base. But I doubt he'd be able to convince the general (read: white) electorate that his being muslim doesn't make him a sleeper terrorist.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Xand_Man posted:

No no, they are obviously woke, because look they are at a Talib Kweli concert! He must be referring to other white people.

omg I went off on a coworker the other day because he was humming the tune to Astronomy and when I started dropping the lyrics he's all "What is that?" and he had never loving heard of Blackstar (or Mos Def or Talib individually). I was just like "how could you have picked up the tune and absorbed nothing about the source or its message?" and apparently that was just me being a dick for no reason according to him.

I think it's a real shame! It was a great way for POC teens to explore sketch comedy. I guess it was inevitable though, since there was nothing about it a billion other companies couldn't do.

I've had a disturbing amount of coworkers describe popular black viners as "low effort" and "poor production value". It's like, no poo poo, vine enables poor kids with nothing but a cell phone to make comedy that their peers relate to. But for upper-class white people, if they don't get the joke then it must in some way be a threat to them, so they start finding ways to pick it apart.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

omg I went off on a coworker the other day because he was humming the tune to Astronomy and when I started dropping the lyrics he's all "What is that?" and he had never loving heard of Blackstar (or Mos Def or Talib individually). I was just like "how could you have picked up the tune and absorbed nothing about the source or its message?" and apparently that was just me being a dick for no reason according to him.

I mean going off on him might be a bit much. I find myself humming random pop songs that I don't know the lyrics to all the time. Though I'll admit that is a fairly deep cut.

Maybe it was sampled somewhere.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I've noticed that people (predominantly but not always white) have an interestingly difficult time actually understanding music, any music by any artist, on anything but a surface level. You can put the most political music you can find in front of most people and they just won't notice most of the time, because most people don't seem to actually listen to the words of a song other than maybe the chorus. I dunno why this is, but it's unfortunate because there's lots of good protest and left-wing music that people like and just have no idea what it's even about.

Like, if you want an illustrative example, ask people if they know what the song "99 Red Balloons" is about and if they consider it to be a song with a message.

If you don't know, it's about two little kids in '80s West Germany who buy 99 balloons and release them, whereupon American and Soviet radar picks them up as missile launches and they initiate WW3 over it.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Right Wing Politicians using 'Born in the USA' never is not funny to me.

Also comical. A Ton of songs that people play at weddings that are very much not songs you should be playing at wedding receptions('If I was your man' by Joe comes to mind).

Dexo fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Nov 22, 2016

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

Dexo posted:

Also comical. A Ton of songs that people play at weddings that are very much not songs you should be playing at wedding receptions('If I was your man' by Joe comes to mind).

Or Paul Ryan naming Rage Against The Machine as one of his favorite bands.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I love it when right wing politicians take left wing songs and use them for their campaign because the song has the word "america!!" in it or sounds patriotic if you only listen to 2% of the words.
Then again there's people who don't think Robocop is political satire on police militarization, the "war on crime", and corporate control of government. Or that starship troopers isn't a huge gently caress you to Heinlein's hard on for authoritarianism and worship of the military.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Lightning Knight posted:

I've noticed that people (predominantly but not always white) have an interestingly difficult time actually understanding music, any music by any artist, on anything but a surface level.

Are you honestly suggesting there's racial disparity in people "getting" music or not? Because that would go near the top of stupid and naive opinions you've produced.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Are you honestly suggesting there's racial disparity in people "getting" music or not? Because that would go near the top of stupid and naive opinions you've produced.

I'm suggesting that I've mostly observed the phenomenon in white people, which is a product of the company I keep. I'd also argue that the ability to blindly consume media without regard to its meaning or context is a small part of white privilege, yes.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Lightning Knight posted:

I'm suggesting that I've mostly observed the phenomenon in white people, which is a product of the company I keep. I'd also argue that the ability to blindly consume media without regard to its meaning or context is a small part of white privilege, yes.

I've observed in in non-white people, but I always just assumed it's a product of having brains hardwired for language/music and thinking about the content is a different function you have to deliberately engage. Also on a broad cultural level we do a poor job of teaching people critical thinking of anything, much less the stuff they consume for entertainment. But I find your theory about privileged have an effect on that to be an interesting one. Is the idea that living in a culture inherently hostile to you conditions you to be more perceptive/critical of everything because in a sense you are constantly on guard for harm?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Shut the gently caress up wart. You don't get to bully LK in Negrotown. He rides with me.

there wolf posted:

I've observed in in non-white people, but I always just assumed it's a product of having brains hardwired for language/music and thinking about the content is a different function you have to deliberately engage. Also on a broad cultural level we do a poor job of teaching people critical thinking of anything, much less the stuff they consume for entertainment. But I find your theory about privileged have an effect on that to be an interesting one. Is the idea that living in a culture inherently hostile to you conditions you to be more perceptive/critical of everything because in a sense you are constantly on guard for harm?

I think about this all the time, because I work in the creative world (well, "creative") and although women and minorities have limited access as you might expect anywhere there's a risk of them earning money and prestige, there's a preponderance of left-handed people. I know some people explain that away with woo about left-brain/right-brain poo poo, but I've been convinced for some kind now that any outsider status at all, being different in any way, is enough to boost your creativity. To be left-handed is to not quite fit in with the world. Not as overtly as being black or being female, but it's there. A daily reminder every time you sit down to write or pick up a pair of scissors that the world was not built with you in mind. I think that's enough to get you thinking about the world, and when you start thinking about the world you start thinking about how it might be different, and then you're off and running.

Tiny Brontosaurus fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Nov 22, 2016

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

there wolf posted:

I mean, I have too. Actually in retrospect I've noticed it's much stronger among older people than younger people, more so than any other variable, though young people do it too. Young people seem more receptive to meaning being pointed out though.

As to privilege, I'm sure that, that notion, that underprivileged people of all kinds would pay more attention out of a justified suspicion, but I'd also argue that as somebody who is privileged, I for example could afford to just listen to songs by Beyonce and not look for any hidden meaning because if there was one I'm only going to appreciate it on an academic level. Her strong message on, say, black women should feel empowered and good by virtue of their black womanhood just isn't going to mean as much to me as, say, TB, because I have the privilege of not having to engage with that experience, ever, if I so choose.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Lightning Knight posted:

I've noticed that people (predominantly but not always white) have an interestingly difficult time actually understanding music, any music by any artist, on anything but a surface level. You can put the most political music you can find in front of most people and they just won't notice most of the time, because most people don't seem to actually listen to the words of a song other than maybe the chorus. I dunno why this is, but it's unfortunate because there's lots of good protest and left-wing music that people like and just have no idea what it's even about.

Like, if you want an illustrative example, ask people if they know what the song "99 Red Balloons" is about and if they consider it to be a song with a message.

If you don't know, it's about two little kids in '80s West Germany who buy 99 balloons and release them, whereupon American and Soviet radar picks them up as missile launches and they initiate WW3 over it.

Was gonna respond with this exact thing:

Dexo posted:

Baronjutter posted:

I love it when right wing politicians take left wing songs and use them for their campaign because the song has the word "america!!" in it or sounds patriotic if you only listen to 2% of the words.
Then again there's people who don't think Robocop is political satire on police militarization, the "war on crime", and corporate control of government. Or that starship troopers isn't a huge gently caress you to Heinlein's hard on for authoritarianism and worship of the military.

One of my favorite moments during the shitshow of Wisconsin's act 10 debacle was the Dropkick Murhpys tweeting at Scott Walker to stop using their songs because they literally hate him.

Also Tom Morello showing up and doing a concert in between participating in the protest.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Lightning Knight posted:

As to privilege, I'm sure that, that notion, that underprivileged people of all kinds would pay more attention out of a justified suspicion, but I'd also argue that as somebody who is privileged, I for example could afford to just listen to songs by Beyonce and not look for any hidden meaning because if there was one I'm only going to appreciate it on an academic level. Her strong message on, say, black women should feel empowered and good by virtue of their black womanhood just isn't going to mean as much to me as, say, TB, because I have the privilege of not having to engage with that experience, ever, if I so choose.

Whereas a black woman is constantly asked to engage and empathize with white culture, and would probably factor that in when evaluating a Sufjan Steven's song. That's a good point. It also probably factors into why you feel old people are more likely to just ignore obvious political stuff in music. They don't value/understand youth culture, or whatever culture produced the track so they prioritize their own pleasure at the tune or whatever and ignore any other elements.

Didn't one of the members of The Smiths flat out tell Cameron he wasn't allowed to be a Smith's fan?

mrfreeze
Apr 3, 2009

Jon Arbuckle: Master of pleasuring women

Talmonis posted:

I love this guy. He has the passion and the energy needed to motivate the base. But I doubt he'd be able to convince the general (read: white) electorate that his being muslim doesn't make him a sleeper terrorist.

If you are interested in helping to get him the position, I'd strongly suggest reaching out to your state's dem progressive caucus assuming they exist where you are. At least here in Michigan, we are planning to rally at the meeting where they are selecting our dnc members, To make it very clear that they better back him when the time comes to vote in February. Barring some major grassroots upsurge for Martin O Malley or Howard Dean, this should be an easy win for us.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

mrfreeze posted:

If you are interested in helping to get him the position, I'd strongly suggest reaching out to your state's dem progressive caucus assuming they exist where you are. At least here in Michigan, we are planning to rally at the meeting where they are selecting our dnc members, To make it very clear that they better back him when the time comes to vote in February. Barring some major grassroots upsurge for Martin O Malley or Howard Dean, this should be an easy win for us.

Hey I'm in MI can you PM me about the DNC meetings and any activity around Detroit and the metro area?

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Talmonis posted:

His exchanges with Glenn Beck (yes that Glenn Beck) are excellent and exactly how to disarm that poo poo.

mrfreeze
Apr 3, 2009

Jon Arbuckle: Master of pleasuring women

Koalas March posted:

Hey I'm in MI can you PM me about the DNC meetings and any activity around Detroit and the metro area?

Done and done! If any other Detroit area goons similarly interested let me know.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I heard Kanye was put under observation for his erratic behavior. Undiagnosed mental illness? It would explain the erratic behavior at his concert.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Panfilo posted:

I heard Kanye was put under observation for his erratic behavior. Undiagnosed mental illness? It would explain the erratic behavior at his concert.

His mother said he was diagnosed bi-polar. He had an episode after his mom died and I'd guess this break was caused by the stress of Kim's robbery and working 24/7. It definitely seems like he was having a manic episode. And I am very familiar with those.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Also didn't his mom die in November.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
I grew up on white dad music, and spent a very long time thinking of vocals as basically another instrument rather than having much of a message. So much of it was either thinly veiled "I wanna bang" or nonsense words.

I can definitely see how someone who grew up hearing The Message (I didn't hear it until last year I think) or rap in general, where the content of the lyrics is a bit more of the formula, would have a different relationship to music than me, who heard the Beatles sing the incredible line "And when I touch you I feel happy inside"

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Death Bot posted:

I grew up on white dad music, and spent a very long time thinking of vocals as basically another instrument rather than having much of a message. So much of it was either thinly veiled "I wanna bang" or nonsense words.

I can definitely see how someone who grew up hearing The Message (I didn't hear it until last year I think) or rap in general, where the content of the lyrics is a bit more of the formula, would have a different relationship to music than me, who heard the Beatles sing the incredible line "And when I touch you I feel happy inside"

Definitely people who interact only with music that is pure rhyming nonsense like The Goo Goo Dolls or whatever are trained to attach whatever meaning they personally desire to the lyrics, if they even listen at all. I think, though, there is a subtle condescension in not making an attempt to understand new music you haven't been exposed to before. Sure, it's fine to tune out the words from Generic Pop Band #83 because you've been trained to do that and it's the way you're meant to listen. But when you take in the music of a different cultural group and just try to apply your existing rules to it, I think it reflects a subconscious idea that your group's musical rules are the only ones, and you shouldn't have to learn how other people interact with their music in order to listen to it.

This might get you by OK if you're just some gymbro who listens to Waka Floka 24/7 or whatever (ok but I'll admit to listening to Waka Floka), but if you're just some rando white person tuning into the hip-hop station to feel like you have musical credibility and then all you do is say the last word of every line along with the rapper, you're sort of appropriating culture without making an attempt to understand it.

Orthogonal to this, Noisey, Viceland's music show, did an episode in Chicago which some members of the community felt put too much of the white producer's filter onto problems that are uniquely black. In response, Noisey held a town hall in which they, for the most part, just shut up and let members of the community speak. It's a really interesting peek at one of the ways white and black music culture can crash into each other in insensitive ways, even purely unintentionally:
This is the official video, though I think you need a cable subscription+account to watch: https://www.viceland.com/en_us/video/chicago-the-city-speaks/5717f080759b29d521d94104
Here's a ripped copy someone put on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCnLcZSkvrE

If you're a white lurker, I think you should watch this whole thing so you can understand some of the unexpected effects you might have when you have opinions on black culture that are not necessarily informed by a connection to black culture.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
A perfect example of this is how many white people thought Rhianna's "Work" was just nonsense syllables. Saw one youtube teen covering it say "I wrote some real lyrics for Work!"

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
Also, this is for the white people that frequently drive through Negrotown and enjoy our shops and clean streets:

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

A perfect example of this is how many white people thought Rhianna's "Work" was just nonsense syllables. Saw one youtube teen covering it say "I wrote some real lyrics for Work!"

I saw that video. I was loving pissed.

Also Work is my jam. Suck it yts.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

negromancer posted:

Also, this is for the white people that frequently drive through Negrotown and enjoy our shops and clean streets:

Weird they seemed to get grandpa's and uncle's names mixed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

mrfreeze posted:

Done and done! If any other Detroit area goons similarly interested let me know.

*raises skinny white hand*

• Locked thread