Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Well, he had Alzheimer's, so she wasn't resigning to have quality time, she was resigning to be with a very sick man who she'd vowed to love, honor, and so on.
He also left her for another woman if I recall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

FlamingLiberal posted:

He also left her for another woman if I recall

Ironically, it was him having the trouble recalling.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

e:f

override367
Apr 29, 2013

Evil Fluffy posted:

Both already have 4 liberals plus Kennedy to defend them.

Given the people Trump is surrounding himself with I can't imagine his SCOTUS pick is going to be anything but a far right activist but if he did somehow lose it and re-nominate Garland, or picked someone closer to the center like him, I think that the white wing would turn on him pretty much immediately.

The kind of judges the GOP want on the bench give zero fucks about the basis of prior rulings.

The crazy thing is that if the GOP actually catches the car they've been chasing re: abortion, it's going to seriously damage one of their most successful local level campaign strategies in every election for decades, at least in states where they have a shot at winning. Furthermore, it's going to give Democrats a shiny new campaign issue in areas where they're currently on the outs (Wisconsin, Michigan, etc) but not solidly so.

If Obergfell is reversed, I think it will give the Democrats a fire they haven't had since 2008 (since it will be harder for younger idealistic Democrats to muse about both sides being the same)

Not to say any of this is good, it's the ultimate broken window fallacy to say that destroying everything we've fought for in order to break the apathy preventing us from fighting for stuff is a good thing. But it may end up being a bad thing for the GOP

override367 fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Nov 22, 2016

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

override367 posted:

If Obergfell is reversed, I think it will give the Democrats a fire they haven't had since 2008 (since it will be harder for younger idealistic Democrats to muse about both sides being the same)

Yes, gay marriage can go back to being the winning electoral issue it was pre-Obergfell, truly a boon for the Democrats.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

override367 posted:

Not to say any of this is good, it's the ultimate broken window fallacy to say that destroying everything we've fought for in order to break the apathy preventing us from fighting for stuff is a good thing. But it may end up being a bad thing for the GOP

Yeah, "Things are great" and "nothing matters both are the same" infected several of my acquaintances who are otherwise pro-marriage-equality and pro-choice. As much as the whole "summer children" thing is overused, these loving summer children don't seem to get at their core that as much as 40% of the populace actively wants these not to be rights in the states.

It is difficult to see the broken window leading to diminished apathy bit as a silver lining when the subject matter is human rights :\

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Nov 22, 2016

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Potato Salad posted:

Yeah, "Things are great" and "nothing matters both are the same" infected several of my acquaintances who are otherwise pro-marriage-equality and pro-choice. As much as the whole "summer children" thing is overused, these loving summer children don't seem to get at their core that as much as 40% of the populace actively wants these not to be rights in the states.

It is difficult to see the broken window bit as a silver lining when the subject matter is human rights :\

What were their identities and classes?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Pollyanna posted:

What were their identities and classes?

White, well-off or believes they are entitled to be well off by their education (and not the fact that they keep losing jobs due to being repeatedly late / lazy), male, and progressively radicalized by Reddit and pol. One bought a gun, no poo poo, out of fear that Black Lives Matter rioting was going to march down the street and steal his stuff / kill whitey (him).

Layer in incremental acceptance of political conspiracy theory du jour.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Nov 22, 2016

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Basically people who are becoming steaming heaps of trash that I'm distancing myself from :smith:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Potato Salad posted:

White, well-off or believes they are entitled to be well off by their education (and not the fact that they keep losing jobs due to being repeatedly late / lazy), male, and progressively radicalized by Reddit and pol.

Layer in incremental acceptance of political conspiracy theory du jour.

Sounds like Trump voters to me.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Pollyanna posted:

Sounds like Trump voters to me.

ding ding ding

edit -- aaaand enough of the vent on my personal life and radicalized ex-friends. Sorry to do this in the scotus thread.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Enh, we're past due for a new thread at this point. General tip for radicalized friends: if you can get to them in the process, source denigration helps a lot. Conspiracy theories around the election are almost always directly or indirectly coming from Russian propaganda sources. Make direct comparison between the method and form of the source of the conspiracy theory and fringe theories on the Right.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Nov 22, 2016

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Antti posted:

drat, I had already managed to forget there was already that one voting lawsuit against NC, I was already thinking about the pending second lawsuit that'll probably happen when the NC legislature installs McCrory for a second term even though he got thousands of votes less.

I can't wait to watch him outright steal the election and have it upheld along party lines by the SCOTUS. Then when he puts down the subsequent riots you'll have the Trumpists crowing about violent blacks/liberals and other poo poo. If the state GOP helps him steal the election I hope they all burn, both figuratively and literally.

Discendo Vox posted:

Enh, we're past due for a new thread at this point. General tip for radicalized friends: if you can get to them in the process, source denigration helps a lot. Conspiracy theories around the election are almost always directly or indirectly coming from Russian propaganda sources. Make direct comparison between the method and form of the source of the conspiracy theory and fringe theories on the Right.

Pointing out the Russian sources of conspiracies and propaganda just makes them dig in harder because "blaming Russia is a Clinton misinformation tactic" is heavily entrenched thought in those circles. You aren't going to dislodge conspiracies by pointing out facts that are a major pillar of the conspiracies misinformation. You'll only reinforce it.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Pointing out the Russian sources of conspiracies and propaganda just makes them dig in harder because "blaming Russia is a Clinton misinformation tactic" is heavily entrenched thought in those circles. You aren't going to dislodge conspiracies by pointing out facts that are a major pillar of the conspiracies misinformation. You'll only reinforce it.

Hence "in the process" - by the point that they're relying on Russian sources for source selection and believe there's a "Clinton misinformation machine", they're gone and I don't know what can bring them back based purely on interpersonal communication. It takes a major realignment once they're into the source selection part. My experience is there's a variably lengthy period of initial exposure to the messages where they can be brought back through source denigration.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Discendo Vox posted:

This got me thinking that we could use a rhetoric thread in DND. Call it Advanced Debate and Discussion if need be, and ruthlessly moderate it.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

So several of the GOP's more visible voter suppression tactics are currently being litigated. Are there any grounds to litigate some of the more subtlety heinous tactics like poll site consolidation, or are "budgetary concerns" enough of a bullshit shield that a suit would go nowhere?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Stickman posted:

So several of the GOP's more visible voter suppression tactics are currently being litigated. Are there any grounds to litigate some of the more subtlety heinous tactics like poll site consolidation, or are "budgetary concerns" enough of a bullshit shield that a suit would go nowhere?

All those suits are pretty much guaranteed to die at the SCOTUS. The only one I have any hope for is NC's simply because the NC GOP didn't even try to hide the fact that they were tragetting minorities and others who vote Democratic. Even then I'm wary of any conservative justice seeing it as more than "they targeted Democrats specifically, not minorities specifically, so it's ok" even though it's some of the most oppressive bullshit imaginable.

e: Let's not forget that the NC GOP, in response to a conservative state supreme court member losing to a liberal, is looking at simply packing the court as well, which they could easily do before McCrory's term ends if they don't just steal the election outright. There's absolutely zero chance of Trump's DoJ giving the slightest gently caress about any of this either. I think NC's a prime example of what we're going to see if/when the Democrats make any sort of inroads in future national election for the White House or Congress.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Nov 22, 2016

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Evil Fluffy posted:

All those suits are pretty much guaranteed to die at the SCOTUS. The only one I have any hope for is NC's simply because the NC GOP didn't even try to hide the fact that they were tragetting minorities and others who vote Democratic. Even then I'm wary of any conservative justice seeing it as more than "they targeted Democrats specifically, not minorities specifically, so it's ok" even though it's some of the most oppressive bullshit imaginable.

Yeah, I'm sadly aware that they're probably dead in the water, I'm just curious if there is legitimate existing legal grounds for fighting limitation of poll access beyond trying to prove that it disproportionately affected minorities. Even if it disproportionately affected non-minorities, it seems like it could be argued as violating a fundamental right to vote, but is there precedent equating "right to vote" with ease of voting access beyond oppressed groups?

E: I mean, I guess if the suits get shot down, the answer will be "no and not for minorities either" from now on, so it will be moot :(

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
So there has been a situation at UNC-CH where this professor who is basically a freeper has been going on racist and homophobic rants directed at specific students for years, he's basically been trying to bait them into firing him as he has already successfully sued the school before.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/tasneemnashrulla/uncw-professor-free-speech-debate?utm_term=.ownx42JKZx#.ekE25gOLR2

Where is the limit here? Could a professor have a blog where they just chose a new student to personally disparage each day and never lose their job as long as they didn't threaten violence? I don't understand why if this rear end in a top hat can get away with this why other professors don't poo poo all over their students in this manner, given how many lovely people there are out there.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

MaxxBot posted:

So there has been a situation at UNC-CH where this professor who is basically a freeper has been going on racist and homophobic rants directed at specific students for years, he's basically been trying to bait them into firing him as he has already successfully sued the school before.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/tasneemnashrulla/uncw-professor-free-speech-debate?utm_term=.ownx42JKZx#.ekE25gOLR2

Where is the limit here? Could a professor have a blog where they just chose a new student to personally disparage each day and never lose their job as long as they didn't threaten violence? I don't understand why if this rear end in a top hat can get away with this why other professors don't poo poo all over their students in this manner, given how many lovely people there are out there.

It'd be institution-specific, probably. He's a full prof now, which would give him tenure protections.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Tenure might protect him from the school, but does it immunize him against a (civil rights?) suit on the part of the students?

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Subjunctive posted:

Tenure might protect him from the school, but does it immunize him against a (civil rights?) suit on the part of the students?

No, but a lack of a cause of action would do that. Hurt feelings and being mad aren't a tort.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Sounds like a great reason to break up teachers unions and get rid of tenure, OP.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Number Ten Cocks posted:

No, but a lack of a cause of action would do that. Hurt feelings and being mad aren't a tort.

I was thinking something along the lines of a hostile workplace suit. Having your boss spew racist drivel is actionable, no?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Two words: Title IX

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Subjunctive posted:

I was thinking something along the lines of a hostile workplace suit. Having your boss spew racist drivel is actionable, no?

I haven't read beyond what's in this thread but the most obvious cause of action would be IIED. I don't know the local standards or actual severity of the case, but if 'nonconsensual outing of a gay person from a country that kills gay people' doesn't raise a flag, well idk, what would on a superficial reading?

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Kazak_Hstan posted:

I haven't read beyond what's in this thread but the most obvious cause of action would be IIED. I don't know the local standards or actual severity of the case, but if 'nonconsensual outing of a gay person from a country that kills gay people' doesn't raise a flag, well idk, what would on a superficial reading?

Extremely hard to prevail on, especially if the person who was outed was in fact a leader of a lgbtq group and openly posted about it, Even if the posts were under a pseudonym

Also having outing people being grounds for iied would be a bad precedent I think. Iirc there have been a few well known websites that out prominent anti gay politicians, could set them out as a target

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

EwokEntourage posted:

Also having outing people being grounds for iied would be a bad precedent I think. Iirc there have been a few well known websites that out prominent anti gay politicians, could set them out as a target

Good?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The websites, not the politicians.

If only the law worked in our favor and not in theirs, it'd be easy.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Pollyanna posted:

Good?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

:confused:

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Outing prominent gay people who are hostile to LGBT rights is not a cut and dry ethical question.

I feel like you're making yourself fair game by entering the public sphere and campaigning against the rights of a group of people, but I'm not gay.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Northwestern still has the holocaust denier on faculty after 50 years, so good luck tossing the UNC guy

override367
Apr 29, 2013

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Yes, gay marriage can go back to being the winning electoral issue it was pre-Obergfell, truly a boon for the Democrats.

Yep, in the same way getting your legs crushed in an industrial accident means you don't have to go to work anymore

It'll be great

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

That guy is not going to have anything happen to him short of students getting physical and beating the poo poo out of him. He knows that isn't going to happen and that there's nothing that can legally be done to stop what he's doing. Welcome to reality.

Pollyanna posted:

If only the law worked in our favor and not in theirs, it'd be easy.

Oh no, what will we do in a world without sites like Gawker.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
I love how the guy uses the First Amendment as a shield to spout hate speech with no consequences but I guarantee you he believes white male conservatives are the most persecuted group in America.

Yeah the guy who Tweeted: "Right now I'm learning Black Queer English: "Thtop it fo I spaz on you ... and scratch yo eyes out!" I'm sure has reasoned views on the concept of white privilege in America. Also we can't divine anything from his avalanche of racist/bigoted tweets. What he really believes is a mystery.
VVVV

Unzip and Attack fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Dec 1, 2016

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Unzip and Attack posted:

I love how the guy uses the First Amendment as a shield to spout hate speech with no consequences but I guarantee you he believes white male conservatives are the most persecuted group in America.
And I bet he rolls coal in a lifted pickup and has a small penis and is sexually frustrated and smugly posts gun rights memes on Facebook, and arrgh he's just a perfect vessel to pour all the opinions of people I disagree with into!

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Dead Reckoning posted:

And I bet he rolls coal in a lifted pickup and has a small penis and is sexually frustrated and smugly posts gun rights memes on Facebook, and arrgh he's just a perfect vessel to pour all the opinions of people I disagree with into!

Have you read the quotes though? Seems pretty fitting for what Unzip has said...

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Have you read the quotes though? Seems pretty fitting for what Unzip has said...
No, perhaps you could provide a quote where they say "white male conservatives are the most prosecuted group in America"? Otherwise, it seems like standard otherizing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Unzip and Attack posted:

Yeah the guy who Tweeted: "Right now I'm learning Black Queer English: "Thtop it fo I spaz on you ... and scratch yo eyes out!" I'm sure has reasoned views on the concept of white privilege in America. Also we can't divine anything from his avalanche of racist/bigoted tweets. What he really believes is a mystery.
VVVV

How dare you suggest that a known racist may also have other racist beliefs.