Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
Without somehow exploiting a flaw in the controller itself, DMA-style attacks via USB are not possible (at this time).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

OSI bean dip posted:

Without somehow exploiting a flaw in the controller itself, DMA-style attacks via USB are not possible (at this time).

Was it firewire that had the native impossible to fix DMA issue, or was that something people were afraid of with the new Thunderbolt stuff?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Was it firewire that had the native impossible to fix DMA issue, or was that something people were afraid of with the new Thunderbolt stuff?

Wasn't Firewire, I'm pretty sure. Didn't VT-D block it entirely?

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
eSATA, Firewire, ExpressCard, SCSI, and Thunderbolt to name a few have DMA capabilities and as a result can be a risk.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Why are you epoxying the USB ports? Can't you just take a screwdriver to them?

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Why are you epoxying the USB ports? Can't you just take a screwdriver to them?

Epoxying is less likely to cause a short circuit.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Fair enough. It's less of a permanent solution than rendering the port inoperable, though.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Fair enough. It's less of a permanent solution than rendering the port inoperable, though.

If I'm epoxying a port I'm pretty sure it's because I wanted a permanent solution in the first place.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
This is probably a stupid question but... How do you plug in a keyboard and mouse if you epoxy all the USB ports?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Kassad posted:

This is probably a stupid question but... How do you plug in a keyboard and mouse if you epoxy all the USB ports?

Super glue them in place, or it's a laptop.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Yes, and the first implementations for thunderbolt had the same issue that wasn't corrected until Thunderbolt2, but there is still backwards compatibility modes that are likely on by default to support legacy thunderbolt devices that can't handle whatever kind of handshaking they added in.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete

Kassad posted:

PS/2 is an option. Probably.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Kassad posted:

It's better to use a software solution than glue the ports shut imo.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's better to use a software solution than glue the ports shut imo.

The problem with a software solution is that they don't stop devices from interacting with the controller. That and software solutions are temporary in a sense whereas glue or likewise is generally not.

Physically restricting USB ports is of course an extreme solution where I would only advocate it in situations where it is warranted.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Can't you forbid Windows from installing new drivers without administrator approval? There should be no reason you'd have drivers for an ethernet-over-USB device installed on a desktop in most work places.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

OSI bean dip posted:

The problem with a software solution is that they don't stop devices from interacting with the controller. That and software solutions are temporary in a sense whereas glue or likewise is generally not.

Physically restricting USB ports is of course an extreme solution where I would only advocate it in situations where it is warranted.

Fair, but a software solution is far more flexible and powerful, because you can customize what you allow and what you don't on which system. However you're absolutely right, and only a physical block like glue would stop that.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

CLAM DOWN posted:

Fair, but a software solution is far more flexible and powerful, because you can customize what you allow and what you don't on which system. However you're absolutely right, and only a physical block like glue would stop that.

My confidence in any USB security is usually summed up well by this video from 1997:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wpj1SgQQ984

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

a software solution is another point of failure in your security model, do it properly or not at all

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

Software can be hacked, a cut trace or cement is a lot harder hack.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

a software solution is another point of failure in your security model, do it properly or not at all

ratbert90 posted:

Software can be hacked, a cut trace or cement is a lot harder hack.

If you glue USB ports shut, how will you use a mouse/keyboard? PS/2 isn't the answer anymore, it's 2016. If you leave 2 ports for those, what's to stop an attacker from unplugging them and using the ports? A proper approach is multifaceted.

e: not to mention there are a range of USB devices that are useful in a work environment, and maybe your company even designs and builds hardware that uses USB. Simply gluing the ports shut is a limited, narrow, and destructive solution, like I said you need to take a multifaceted approach.

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Nov 22, 2016

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

well no poo poo you tailor the solution based on the business needs, but don't say a software solution is more flexible and powerful when it's lax and vulnerable

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Just lock the computer in a case with some vent holes. Problem solved.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

well no poo poo you tailor the solution based on the business needs, but don't say a software solution is more flexible and powerful when it's lax and vulnerable

Ok fine, the term "powerful" needs more meaning than that, but 100% it's more flexible, gluing a port shut is about as inflexible as you can get...

e: actually gently caress that, a software solution absolutely can be "powerful", you're being wrong by immediately dismissing any software option as "lax and vulnerable", I'm curious what products you've actually tried and used in production

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Nov 22, 2016

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
Remove the USB ports with a soldering iron and solder in the keyboard and mouse. After that, epoxy the spot where you soldiered the keyboard and mouse in and hope that they never need to be replaced.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

if you're at the stage where gluing the port is an option then you may want inflexibility in your security model, you're also locking the keyboard/mouse into the port with the machine in a sealed unit

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Doesn't PoisonTap exploit poor HTTP(S) implementation more than anything else? Or is the main concern here that you have hashes you can work against on your own time.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

Ok fine, the term "powerful" needs more meaning than that, but 100% it's more flexible, gluing a port shut is about as inflexible as you can get...

e: actually gently caress that, a software solution absolutely can be "powerful", you're being wrong by immediately dismissing any software option as "lax and vulnerable", I'm curious what products you've actually tried and used in production
as a rule endpoint protection software is primarily designed for locating leaks and reporting unauthorised usb storage devices. they are not designed for dealing with attacks outside of these boundaries

here is sopho's device control: https://community.sophos.com/kb/en-us/64174

quote:

Device Exemptions

Each device type supports both device instance and model exceptions. This means that a USB key which belongs to a given individual can be exempted from the removable storage block policy. It also means that all (for example) Verizon USB modems could be exempted by model type from the modem block policy. Exceptions can be commented so it’s easy to record who requested the exception and when.

Exceptions are made easy to manage using the device control event viewer. This is a new reporting tool available within Enterprise Console. It enables you to quickly filter events generated by the device control policy. Events generated by devices being blocked can then be used to authorize those devices.

Note: Exempting individual devices is based on the device having a unique device instance ID. See article 110566 for more information.
the 'unique device ID' is manufacturer-set and any whitelisted usb can be cloned, nevermind the model whitelisting

then there's the other kind of 'endpoint protector', meet cososys' endpoint protector:

quote:

The extended use of portable devices has not only increased the efficiency and mobility of our daily work tasks but, at the same time has posed another significant threat to companies' data security. USB devices and other portable devices, although small and at a first glance harmless, are one of the top causes for security incidents with millions of dollars in losses for the business. The need for controlling the use of devices in corporate environments has become nowadays a must in order to keep up with latest security challenges.

The Device Control module allows monitoring, controlling or blocking USB storage devices and peripheral ports. It prevents data loss and data leaks, ensuring compliance, while also preventing the spread of USB malware and viruses. Being a cross-platform solution, it can be deployed into any type o network as a hardware appliance, virtual appliance or cloud-based solution, protecting Windows, Mac, and Linux endpoints.

While Device Control provides the first layer of security, the Content Aware Protection module is also available.
sounds great on paper right?

https://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/591667

quote:

CoSoSys Endpoint Protector 4 appliance contains a predictable password for root-equivalent account vulnerability
According to the CoSoSys's website the Endpoint Protector 4 appliance is a DLP product used to prevent users from taking unauthorized data outside the company or bringing potential harmful files on USB devices, files which can have a significant impact on your network’s health. The CoSoSys Endpoint Protector 4 appliance contains a predictable password for root-equivalent accounts. The activation script sets the password to the EPProot account to a password based on the sum of each number in the appliance's serial number. The script cuts the serial number (10 numeric characters) out of a file and then adds each character together to populate the $SUMS variable. Then "eroot!00($SUM)RO" where $SUM is a number presumably from 0-90 (9*10) is set as the password for the epproot account. There are only 90 unique combinations so it can be brute-forced.

https://www.sec-consult.com/fxdata/..._v10_wo_poc.txt

quote:

Vulnerability overview/description:
-----------------------------------
1) Unauthenticated access to statistics / information disclosure
Unauthenticated users can access server statistics. These statistics give
details about the webserver status (nginx_status) as well as system level
information (munin system monitoring).

2) Unauthenticated SQL injection
Unauthenticated users can execute arbitrary SQL statements via a vulnerability
in the device registration component. The statements will be executed with the
high-privileges of the MySQL user "root". This user has permissions to read and
write files from/to disk.

3) Backdoor accounts
Several undocumented operating system user accounts exist on the appliance.
They can be used to gain access to the appliance via the terminal but also
via SSH.
it's just like antivirus software, improving security by opening doors

Wiggly Wayne DDS fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Nov 22, 2016

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

endpoint protection software

Yup, I'm fully aware of all that. Have you used either Check Point port protection, or Bit9 Parity/CarbonBlack USB device features?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

If you glue USB ports shut, how will you use a mouse/keyboard?

Are you serious? You glue them in? Or even better, use wireless and glue the wireless dongle in.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Can't you just cut the keyboard cable and get access to the USB traces electrically?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ratbert90 posted:

Are you serious? You glue them in? Or even better, use wireless and glue the wireless dongle in.

I can't tell if you're trolling me or not.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yup, I'm fully aware of all that.

CLAM DOWN posted:

i'm dismissing them categorically unless evidence is presented that they aren't opening more holes than they are closing.

quote:

Have you used either Check Point port protection, or Bit9 Parity/CarbonBlack USB device features?
nope

Subjunctive posted:

Can't you just cut the keyboard cable and get access to the USB traces electrically?
yeah, i mean if you're going that far a tap would be far cleaner and subtle given the environment

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Subjunctive posted:

Run the keyboard cable through conduit, fill conduit with epoxy. Then open the keyboard and seal the thing with epoxy.

Or just throw the computer into this contraption which will solve everything:

It is made in the UK so it might break after a few tries.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

i'm dismissing them categorically unless evidence is presented that they aren't opening more holes than they are closing.

nope

I highly recommend not dismissing things that you have never used or tried and don't know anything about. Keeping an open mind is very beneficial.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

I highly recommend not dismissing things that you have never used or tried and don't know anything about. Keeping an open mind is very beneficial.
okay the rest is fine about that software being deployed in an enterprise environment but this is just adorable. what did you not like about my security analysis on software endpoint protection suites that made you just shutdown?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

okay the rest is fine about that software being deployed in an enterprise environment but this is just adorable. what did you not like about my security analysis on software endpoint protection suites that made you just shutdown?

Is there a reason you're being so hostile? I'm not interesting in engaging with someone who is acting like an angry child.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

i'm just amused that you're against not trusting security software, and will only listen to people who've deployed specific variants of the same snakeoil

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

i'm just amused that you're against not trusting security software, and will only listen to people who've deployed specific variants of the same snakeoil

I never said either of those things. I simply asked a question. You're putting words in my mouth and making assumptions, and doing so in an unnecessarily hostile and unproductive way. You haven't been open to any kind of real discussion since the start, so have a good one.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Just implement WUSB, exposed port problem solved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
I think what he's trying to get at is that you cannot rely on a software solution to protect USB as USB in itself is flawed. I am not really joking when I say that the best method is to remove the ability for those ports to function as it is in itself the only solution that is surefire short of shredding the computer all together.

Trying to block physical access to a machine is really the only option is preventing harmful USB devices from being used, preventing cold boot-style attacks, or preventing DMA access. Applying a software solution, regardless of how open-minded you are about it, is only a bandaid at best and if you're whitelisting specific devices, it doesn't do much to help you.

How do you stop this device if it emulates a keyboard?