Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

mishaq posted:

that dude owns

yeah we just have donuts and meat pies every friday and those guys had a pole dancer :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
it's kind of weird to read all these stories that boil down to "the work i do is so unimportant that i can be incommunicado for days on end and it makes no difference to anyone"

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Stymie posted:

it's kind of weird to read all these stories that boil down to "the work i do is so unimportant that i can be incommunicado for days on end and it makes no difference to anyone"

it's u lol

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

mishaq posted:

that dude owns

gotta be tom shitfucker

also this is probably my favorite thread. i thought i had it bad, but it turns out my company is just the tip of the corporate stupidity iceberg

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Buff Skeleton posted:

my company is just the tip of the corporate stupidity iceberg

just the tip

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Captain Foo posted:

I have occasionally answered my phone but lol at voicemail

my coworker just plain unhooked his phone and has never used it since joining the team

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

i suppose the tradeoff of not being forced into mind-numbing teleconferences or being terrified of the phone is i occasionally have to suffer the indignity of talking to my coworkers in person and being productive

woe is me

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

Stymie posted:

i suppose the tradeoff of not being forced into mind-numbing teleconferences or being terrified of the phone is i occasionally have to suffer the indignity of talking to my coworkers in person and being productive

woe is me

lol if you ever speak to anyone inside your office unless they have the power to fire you

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

abraham linkedin posted:

lol if you ever speak to anyone inside your office unless they have the power to fire you

office work is not labour

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
celebratory update: our telecomms people have agreed to set up my VM box to play a message (which i will record to tell people to gently caress off) and then not let them leave a message.

i feel more productive already.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Iridium posted:

celebratory update: our telecomms people have agreed to set up my VM box to play a message (which i will record to tell people to gently caress off) and then not let them leave a message.

i feel more productive already.

this is actually very good

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

in a conference call just now starting

already had some random person call in

ah good our line is double booked lmao

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
sorry i cant get on the webex, im driving

*queues up this youtube and points speaker directly at phone until asked to drop the call*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wq1-8P09FA

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

you need a fan blowing directly at the mic as well

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Bloody posted:

pm books hour meetings back to back for individual projects. i call in for mine and hear a dozen people just screaming at each other. hang up cause it sure sounds like mine is canceled. turns out the previous one was as well and the current call is entering its third hour

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Cat Face Joe posted:

pm books hour meetings back to back for individual projects. i call in for mine and hear a dozen people just screaming at each other. hang up cause it sure sounds like mine is canceled. turns out the previous one was as well and the current call is entering its third hour

lomarf

totally been there

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Cat Face Joe posted:

i have lived this

there is one particularly toxic group where any call with them i just go ahead and block out three hours after it

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Cat Face Joe posted:

wow

why do you still work there

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

wow

why do you still work there

i left in january

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Mad Wack posted:

i have lived this

there is one particularly toxic group where any call with them i just go ahead and block out three hours after it

why wouldnt you book something 5 minutes after when its supposed to end so you have an excuse to leave the meeting

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

Bloody posted:

oh poo poo that reminds me

in addition to my company's general conference line like the webex / skype poo poo, our phone system has several dedicated conference lines. no special access code is needed, it's for emergencies: if there's a massive outage, you can dial into just a basic phone number from anywhere at all and be on the bridge. they're not commonly used now (short of super severe network emergencies), but when i first joined the company and worked in operations it was the standard. each time we had a critical outage, they'd send out the alert and one of us would have to hop on.

but this got to being a problem because absolutely everyone could call in, and the number would spread very quickly. the people trying to work on the issue would be trying to coordinate and do poo poo, but the 'problem manager' would want constant updates, and demand that everyone stop talking to update whatever other random middle manager hopped on and demanded info. as you'd expect, this became a complete clusterfuck, so they tried to implement a rule saying that people working the issue would be on line X, while anyone needing noncritical updates would have to call line Y, where the problem manager would pop over and provide updates. except guess what: the numbers never changed. so everyone would just call in to line X anyway and start making demands. on top of that, though, we discovered that in a few instances, former employees would call in for the hell of it now and then (there'd be something every day usually), with one that they discovered had been doing so for multiple years. a few managers freaked out but they didn't really have a way to stop him. he'd just sit and listen though so it's not like anyone cared.

around the time i switched out of operations it had become standard for people working the issue to call in to line X on their desk line, then just call one another on personal cell phones to actually coordinate work. we'd get yelled at for doing so because 'everything is supposed to be open so nobody who might have a solution is left out'. didn't stop anyone.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Iridium posted:

in addition to my company's general conference line like the webex / skype poo poo, our phone system has several dedicated conference lines. no special access code is needed, it's for emergencies: if there's a massive outage, you can dial into just a basic phone number from anywhere at all and be on the bridge. they're not commonly used now (short of super severe network emergencies), but when i first joined the company and worked in operations it was the standard. each time we had a critical outage, they'd send out the alert and one of us would have to hop on.

but this got to being a problem because absolutely everyone could call in, and the number would spread very quickly. the people trying to work on the issue would be trying to coordinate and do poo poo, but the 'problem manager' would want constant updates, and demand that everyone stop talking to update whatever other random middle manager hopped on and demanded info. as you'd expect, this became a complete clusterfuck, so they tried to implement a rule saying that people working the issue would be on line X, while anyone needing noncritical updates would have to call line Y, where the problem manager would pop over and provide updates. except guess what: the numbers never changed. so everyone would just call in to line X anyway and start making demands. on top of that, though, we discovered that in a few instances, former employees would call in for the hell of it now and then (there'd be something every day usually), with one that they discovered had been doing so for multiple years. a few managers freaked out but they didn't really have a way to stop him. he'd just sit and listen though so it's not like anyone cared.

around the time i switched out of operations it had become standard for people working the issue to call in to line X on their desk line, then just call one another on personal cell phones to actually coordinate work. we'd get yelled at for doing so because 'everything is supposed to be open so nobody who might have a solution is left out'. didn't stop anyone.

holy poo poo lmao

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Iridium posted:

you buried the real gem there in the penultimate paragraph there lmao

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Iridium posted:

on top of that, though, we discovered that in a few instances, former employees would call in for the hell of it now and then (there'd be something every day usually), with one that they discovered had been doing so for multiple years. a few managers freaked out but they didn't really have a way to stop him. he'd just sit and listen though so it's not like anyone cared.

lmao what kind of clown operation do you work at

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

mishaq posted:

lmao what kind of clown operation do you work at

a corporation on target to hit $20bil this year, with subsidiaries that most of you have heard of and many of you use on a daily basis. but we're the parent company, so since we don't have actual revenue targets to drive a goddamn thing, we're an incestuous cesspool of stupidity (but with loving great benefits and pay, because the divisions keep meeting our financial targets lol)

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Iridium posted:

a corporation on target to hit $20bil this year, with subsidiaries that most of you have heard of and many of you use on a daily basis. but we're the parent company, so since we don't have actual revenue targets to drive a goddamn thing, we're an incestuous cesspool of stupidity (but with loving great benefits and pay, because the divisions keep meeting our financial targets lol)

tbh this probably describes a lot of the workplaces of the particularly goofy nonsense here because a large enough corporation just cant move smoothly for coordination

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Iridium posted:

Impressively bad

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

our emergency lines will test points of contact occasionally but since theres sometimes a delay in response theyll spam all your personal lines and emails and texts at once

it is literally woof from the office

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

post the number

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Penguissimo posted:

post the number

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

Penguissimo posted:

post the number

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

Penguissimo posted:

post the number

no, and besides like i mentioned they moved away from it to using skype bridges.

though i do still call into it once in a while if i know network issues are going on. but nowadays it's reserved for network outages so hardcore it takes down all our skype messaging stuff. fortunately rare (and regardless, not my loving problem anymore lol)

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Iridium posted:

lol

have you guys read the pheonix project? this sounds like a silicon valley version of what could be taken out of the early part of the book

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

the phoenix project is a really dumb book

"i work for a lovely company! i know, devops!"

"gently caress you im your lovely boss and devops is stupid"

"lol i quit"

internal monologue: "wait i cant quit im a marine marines dont quit"

"lol hi im back"

"oh yay you're back. im still a lovely boss but i realized i have no idea what to do while you were gone. lets walk through the factory"

"ok"
"wait now i know! kanban! devops! change control meetings!"

"yay everything is better"

"and my wife didnt leave me for being married to my job."

~*~ le fin~*~

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

sure, but you left out the entire storyline where he learned the 4 computer chakras from the mystical sock n sandals sv guru. also, the part about the whole book being transparently IT middle-manager self-insert fan fiction

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Iridium posted:

:chome: :mome: :chome:

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
lol our marketing people send prospects copies of the Phoenix Project to illustrate how we can help them devops or paas or k8s or whatever it is the gently caress we do these days

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
although at this rate I imagine every Fortune 500 it purchasing manager or cio has like twelve loving copies of that book

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

uncurable mlady posted:

how we can help them devops

wot does this mean

• Locked thread