Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

theblackw0lf posted:

This is the most hopeful thing I've heard all year

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/801128088151224320

He's just gaslighting. Just because he believes there's "some connectivity" doesn't mean he's not going to pass clean coal and end the commitment to Paris when the Republican Congress puts it on his desk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Gringostar posted:

Also to healthcare subsidies.

Why it's almost like republicans have spent the last 8 years trying to kill anything and everything democrats have tried to do to make things better for the rust belt... but for some reason the next time democrats try to help those people republicans will just roll over or something because of messaging.

you realize that dems have completely abandoned a lot of flyover states allowing republicans to poo poo on voters' best interests? my state party is practically a skeleton, and we ran less pols for the house and senate than the liberatarians.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

One of the disappointing things about that Atlantic video is that they blurred out everyone but Spencer's face. But, even with that, you can tell everyone there is a loving pony-tailed or undercut hipster that lives in a gentrified neighborhood.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Sir Tonk posted:

lol no it wouldn't

this just has me trying to figure out what the liberal equivalent of the Battle Hymn of the Republic would be

like what does :effort: sound like

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Oxxidation posted:

He changes his mind minute to minute. Nothing he says today is genuine. Nothing he says at all is genuine.

Yup. It amazes me how after all this time some folks still keep falling for the "pivot!!" narrative.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

this just has me trying to figure out what the liberal equivalent of the Battle Hymn of the Republic would be

Whatever the hot new play list is on Spotify's front page.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

TheScott2K posted:

Voter disenfranchisement really isn't being talked about enough. Over the years as Team Rocket has instituted voter ID laws, voter roll purges, and polling place consolidation in the states they control, I always kind of had faith that it wouldn't work. We'd put them on buses, we'd help them get IDs, we'd have lawyers ready to protect eligible voters being turned away.

I was wrong to be that optimistic. The poo poo worked. There was just too much in too many places to organize our way out of. All of the "what do we do now?" conversations seem focused on the federal government. If the Democratic Party wants a comeback that includes a majority that's actually durable, we need to spend our time in the wilderness getting local and state offices filled by Democrats. Democrats who will undo voter disenfranchisement, accept Medicaid expansion, and spend newly black-granted funds on the people they're actually meant for.

:agreed:

There are a ton of reasons why she lost and just latching onto "but unions" thinking it's the magic bullet to solve everything is dumb.

There is no "one" solution to "one" problem, there are many loving solutions to many loving problems that need to be solved and focusing on one problem or one solution is how democrats will get their rear end kicked again.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Lightning Knight posted:

A civil war based on an EC decision is unlikely but massive amounts of right-wing terrorism and an almost certain Republican presidency in 2020 - and probably a much worse person than Trump, like Pence or Cruz - wouldn't be much loving better.

That's assuming a lot. You never know if the Dems would be capable of mobilizing enough to actually drive up turnout. Trump has already shown that he's incapable of governing and has no interest in learning.

It would also mean that things like the new DOL overtime rules would be in effect for a few years and would be harder to roll back.

But seriously, there would not be a full on civil war and we're already getting massive amounts of right-wing terrorism no matter what under Trump so that would be a wash.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

You fools just think so small. Trump is pivoting, continuously, at a rate that were he hooked up to some magnets he would provide a viable clean energy source for the new millennium

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_asNhzXq72w

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Condiv posted:

you realize that dems have completely abandoned a lot of flyover states allowing republicans to poo poo on voters' best interests? my state party is practically a skeleton, and we ran less pols for the house and senate than the liberatarians.

Was that before or after said states' voters "completely abandoned" the Democrats?

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Breaking News - Trump announces that, just this one time, he'll finally let Charlie Brown kick the football.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

MacheteZombie posted:

actual bond villain in this article:

Everyone pictured looks like a chode, except this guy who just looks like an evil politician. I'm surprised people have rallied behind Spencer and not him. I guess he doesn't want it or isn't "charismatic" by their definition.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

You fools just think so small. Trump is pivoting, continuously, at a rate that were he hooked up to some magnets he would provide a viable clean energy source for the new millennium

Then someone needs to shove him in a sealed containment unit so we can get on with our glorious sustainable future.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
https://twitter.com/BumillerNYT/status/801138068174630913

loving lol

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

:shepicide:

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo
We need to stop debating this "faithless electors" poo poo, implicitly treating it like it is anything less than a Hillary voter's feverish pipe dream. It. Ain't. Gonna. Happen. And even if it did, it would be like nuking half the country to save the other half. Wouldn't the living envy the dead?

We cannot completely destroy the system to save it. Not yet.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

https://twitter.com/maggienyt/status/801131740156887045
Does Trump even know who the people he's hiring are?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

SeANMcBAY posted:

He knows they're winners.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Uh, that is a liberal song. It was written by Julia Ward Howe, an anti-slavery and pro-women's suffrage campaigner.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Sir Tonk posted:

That's assuming a lot. You never know if the Dems would be capable of mobilizing enough to actually drive up turnout. Trump has already shown that he's incapable of governing and has no interest in learning.

It would also mean that things like the new DOL overtime rules would be in effect for a few years and would be harder to roll back.

But seriously, there would not be a full on civil war and we're already getting massive amounts of right-wing terrorism no matter what under Trump so that would be a wash.

It would be trivial for the Republicans to message "illegitimate!" and straight block anything she tries to do for four years, voters would be mad and blame Hillary for nothing getting done as they did Obama because Republicans don't get punished unless they hold the Presidency, and Hillary the candidate who couldn't beat Trump in a campaign isn't going to come back from that scenario and beat an actual Republican politician in 2020. It would be disastrous. Not to mention an unfilled Supreme Court seat for four more years.

I strongly believe the right wing terrorism would be massively worse if Trump doesn't end up president. Right now they're already starting to realize they have been had. What do you think they would do if we snatched victory away from them at the last second in an "illegitimate" fashion?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

TheScott2K posted:

Voter disenfranchisement really isn't being talked about enough. Over the years as Team Rocket has instituted voter ID laws, voter roll purges, and polling place consolidation in the states they control, I always kind of had faith that it wouldn't work. We'd put them on buses, we'd help them get IDs, we'd have lawyers ready to protect eligible voters being turned away.

I was wrong to be that optimistic. The poo poo worked. There was just too much in too many places to organize our way out of. All of the "what do we do now?" conversations seem focused on the federal government. If the Democratic Party wants a comeback that includes a majority that's actually durable, we need to spend our time in the wilderness getting local and state offices filled by Democrats. Democrats who will undo voter disenfranchisement, accept Medicaid expansion, and spend newly black-granted funds on the people they're actually meant for.

:agreed:

we have to start offering real resistance in all states. even if you can't turn states like oklahoma and arkansas blue, you can make them bluer, and maybe blue enough that poo poo like obama's infrastructure plan could actually be built.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Condiv posted:

Yes, democrats abandoned Wisconsin... (Russ Feingold was heavily supported and lost)

Yes, democrats have abandoned Ohio... home to progressive darling Sherod Brown.

Yes, democrats have abandoned PA, which is why Tom Wolf won in 2014.

Democrats haven't abandoned the rust belt, rust belt voters abandoned democrats after the well was poisoned by republicans... sometimes literally.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
https://twitter.com/grynbaum/status/801139968374546432
:laffo:

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Young Freud posted:

One of the disappointing things about that Atlantic video is that they blurred out everyone but Spencer's face. But, even with that, you can tell everyone there is a loving pony-tailed or undercut hipster that lives in a gentrified neighborhood.

Excuse me they did not give their consent to have images taken of them at the Klan Konference very intellectual alt-right National Policy Institute please respect their privacy :barf:

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD

Eh, easier to take all that copper & magnets and hook them up to Lincoln's grave. He's probably putting out enough RPMs right now to power a small town, but after Jan 20 I bet we can just attach him to a farm of generators because he'll be putting out torque in strengths that we usually associate with pulsars. Plus it will be an infrastructure project to stimulate the economy!

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

oh my gently caress

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Crowsbeak posted:

True, HRC being the wife of the guy who built third way politics made alot of people not trust her.

This is kind of meaningless because anyone who would care about this sort of thing would have voted. I don't think it's too much of a stretch to say that the people who didn't vote had no clue and therefore wasn't a factor in their decision.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/801139996153573376
It'll be okay, everyone!

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

disjoe posted:

Everyone pictured looks like a chode, except this guy who just looks like an evil politician. I'm surprised people have rallied behind Spencer and not him. I guess he doesn't want it or isn't "charismatic" by their definition.

beauty is actually antithetical to fascism, as odd as that might sound. hitler was a dumpy short guy who embodied exactly none of the aryan characteristics he championed. german newspapers made fun of his stupid mustache even before he immortalized it as the worst possible facial hair of all time.

there's probably an article that goes over the phenomenon way better than i could, but the gist of it is that it benefits the fascist to be plain or unattractive because it allows his supporters to empathize with him, even as he aspires to an ideal of national racial purity.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

icantfindaname posted:

the electoral college was actually created as a compromise because nobody could agree on how exactly the president should be chosen, with a side of allowing southern slavers to count 3/5 of their black people towards their share of the vote

People actually get this wrong: the slavers wanted to count black people as 1 person. Its the abolitionists that wanted them to count for nothing (to increase northern influence over the new country), and 3/5ths as a compromise.

People always misrember this as "the south considered black people less than a person becuase they were mean jerks :colbert:"

edit: nevermind i misunderstood that you were misunderstanding. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Nov 22, 2016

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

If the Democrats want to win back rural voters they need to abolish that extra-special welfare that minorities get that good hard-working people aren't eligible for. Everyone knows you only get the good welfare if you're one of them. The other day I saw one of them driving an Escalade and using a SMART PHONE.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

TheScott2K posted:

If the Democrats want to win back rural voters they need to abolish that extra-special welfare that minorities get that good hard-working people aren't eligible for. Everyone knows you only get the good welfare if you're one of them. The other day I saw one of them driving an Escalade and using a SMART PHONE.

We need to kick them off welfare and make them get a job, why don't I have a job? Because OBUMMER SENT IT TO CHINA!

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Venuz Patrol posted:

beauty is actually antithetical to fascism, as odd as that might sound. hitler was a dumpy short guy who embodied exactly none of the aryan characteristics he championed. german newspapers made fun of his stupid mustache even before he immortalized it as the worst possible facial hair of all time.

there's probably an article that goes over the phenomenon way better than i could, but the gist of it is that it benefits the fascist to be plain or unattractive because it allows his supporters to empathize with him, even as he aspires to an ideal of national racial purity.

yeah thats actually nonsense

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me

BarbarianElephant posted:

Uh, that is a liberal song. It was written by Julia Ward Howe, an anti-slavery and pro-women's suffrage campaigner.

As Christ died to make men holy/let us die to make men free

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Lightning Knight posted:

I strongly believe the right wing terrorism would be massively worse if Trump doesn't end up president. Right now they're already starting to realize they have been had. What do you think they would do if we snatched victory away from them at the last second in an "illegitimate" fashion?

I think Trump would have held off on not going after Clinton until after he was inaugurated, not when there's a month of lobbying the electoral college still left.

The electors can vote for no one, can't they? No confidence, across the board. Probably would mean that Obama or Biden would be in office for another two years and 2018 would be a clusterfuck.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

But seriously folks, how do you tell them that the things that drive them to vote a certain way are wrong and that they're actually kind of dumb for thinking they're true?

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

SeANMcBAY posted:

He might not have even ever read Breitbart or Googled who Bannon is. As I recall he likes to sit down with the print media and annotate it. The Twitter app is probably his only little window to the Internet. Easy to forget but he's 70 years old and almost certainly technologically incompetent.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

icantfindaname posted:

she lost WI because people in Milwaukee didn't vote enough, because Milwaukee is a loving post-apocalyptic wasteland that Dems wrote off 40 years ago

Milwaukee is actually a nice city if you aren't black. It's one of the (possibly the?) most heavily segregated cities in the US. We have a republican governor who slashed the state university system (which was really, really good) by 25% and used the money to put a new arena downtown. White people are having their lives improved a lot here and black people are getting hosed in the rear end for it. Your disaffected blue collar worker isn't really the brunt of the population here, it's a bunch of wealthy white people in suburbs that voted Trump.

Oh yeah, he and the republican-controlled state congress also enacted new voter ID laws.

Michigan also is having similar problems with their republican governor. The further away we get from election day the less smug I get about being a Bernie supporter and the more I think that voter suppression decided this election. Especially due to the fact that HRC leads by 1.7 million in the popular vote and lost by 100k votes combined in Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, and Michigan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

TheScott2K posted:

It will never not be hilarious that the stereotypical black welfare queen the right keeps saying exists was actually a white woman from chicago that was successfully prosecuted for defrauding those programs.

• Locked thread