Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nifft
Oct 5, 2001
I'm absolutely spiffng!

Tezcatlipoca posted:

They should fix it how? That's how he's always sounded.

By changing the amplification levels for certain frequency ranges. It sounded high pitched to me compared to his voice on his podcast. Don't get me wrong I like having him commentate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Chael sounds like one of the professor brothers or database from the Simpsons and no amount of modulation will ever fix that

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
Chandler's striking looks a lot better then when he fought Alvarez

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

maffew buildings posted:

some of the decisions sucked but dude has had a list of great fights

Yeah, it is kind of weird how something totally out of the control of the fighter, like judges' decision, makes goons hate the fighter.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
Takeru has a hand injury and will not be fighting on the Rizin show on NYE, meaning it is worthless

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Who do yall figure is the best lightweight not in the UFC, Chandler or Gaethje?

mewse
May 2, 2006

david carmichael posted:

Chael sounds like one of the professor brothers or database from the Simpsons and no amount of modulation will ever fix that

His high pitched nasally voice has always reminded me that he never went through puberty and it is very embarrassing for him to admit it in front of an athletic commission

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Bluedeanie posted:

Who do yall figure is the best lightweight not in the UFC, Chandler or Gaethje?

Gaethje is way more exciting, but I don't know if he's fought many quality dudes. At least Chandler has a track record of beating solid folks

I love them both, though

Counter-question: Better bantam not in the UFC, Moraes, Bibi or Dudu?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

LobsterMobster posted:

Gaethje is way more exciting, but I don't know if he's fought many quality dudes. At least Chandler has a track record of beating solid folks

I love them both, though

Counter-question: Better bantam not in the UFC, Moraes, Bibi or Dudu?

I'm going with Bibi, though he may be past his prime now.

(you can call him MarMor)

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
Joe Warren

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Marlon Sandro greatest of all times

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Wow Benson has not looked good at all since he got cut by the UFC.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Mr. Nice! posted:

fatherdog posted:

Say what you like about Zuffa's contract negotiations, they appear to be incredible at "fish or cut bait" judgements

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Mr. Nice! posted:

well, he didn't really get cut. He fought out his contract and the UFC offered him a new contract, but he shopped around and the UFC refused to match Bellator's offer.

Looks like they may have made a good decision.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I could see them throwing money at Michael Chandler the moment he has a sniff of free agency. Toss him into the mix with McGregor, Khabib, and Ferguson.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Even Davis looks like a good cut. He tooled a couple guys but has been super boring/conservative against other clearly inferior opponents.

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
Michael Chandler is really good

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
It's almost as if the guys in bellator are just as good as the UFC guys, weird

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Has the UFC ever let someone go to see them go become a big money-making star for another organization, AND have that other organization not go bankrupt as a result of overpayment?

Phil Davis might be the closest thing, or perhaps Nick Diaz.

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013

Ditch posted:

Even Davis looks like a good cut. He tooled a couple guys but has been super boring/conservative against other clearly inferior opponents.

Lol

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Lord Waffle Beard posted:

yeah he is

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Yep

It's almost as if the guys in bellator are just as good as the UFC guys, weird

Nope

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013

From LW on down bellators guys are just as good, WW is getting there and the higher classes still need more talent

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

From LW on down bellators guys are just as good, WW is getting there and the higher classes still need more talent

Name 3 other lightweights in Bellator that fit that criteria

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

-Atom- posted:

Name 3 other lightweights in Bellator that fit that criteria

Wil... Edd... BJ Penn.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
The WEC proved that the top tier fighters in lower weight classes weren't purely all in the UFC, along with others in Strikeforce's middleweight and heavyweight divisions. But Bellator just isn't there for the most part. It's not a knock, just the reality of the situation.

There's a handful. But it's not the same.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

They have a handful of guys who could hold their own in the UFC. Outside of that, the rest of their roster is a clear step down from the UFC.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

-Atom- posted:

The WEC proved that the top tier fighters in lower weight classes weren't purely all in the UFC, along with others in Strikeforce's middleweight and heavyweight divisions. But Bellator just isn't there for the most part. It's not a knock, just the reality of the situation.

There's a handful. But it's not the same.

There was no point in history in which the UFC and the WEC had fighters at 35 and 45 at the same time.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

CommonShore posted:

There was no point in history in which the UFC and the WEC had fighters at 35 and 45 at the same time.

I was referring to their light weight division, obviously.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Rigel posted:

well, he didn't really get cut. He fought out his contract and the UFC offered him a new contract, but he shopped around and the UFC refused to match Bellator's offer.

Looks like they may have made a good decision.

It's right, but if you're someone who the UFC see the value in, they're going to do enough to keep you on their books. Them allowing you to leave isn't that much different from them cutting you.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Bellator and, previously, Strikeforce, were competing with the UFC for fighters, so the better fighters went to the company that was willing and able to pay more, which was usually the UFC. So you got the situation we had and have, where the top three guys in Bellator and Strikeforce would be somewhere in the top 10 in the UFC but rarely the top 3, and the rest of the Bellator/Strikeforce guys are nowhere close.

WEC was different because it was Zuffa owned and therefore not competing for fighters - if you were a lightweight who got signed by Zuffa, whether you wound up in WEC or UFC was largely down to which one had openings at the time, and you got paid about the same either way. So the top guys in the WEC 155 and UFC 155 were largely interchangeable.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Them allowing you to leave isn't that much different from them cutting you.

That is just not correct though. Cut is cut, it means "we aren't even interested in paying you 10/10 to fight on fightpass, go away"

The UFC would have been happy to keep Henderson, he is still a draw, but they were not willing to overpay as much as Bellator.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
I'm surprised David Branch hasn't been lured away.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
the best thing about early zuffa wec was that 205 had been consolidated in the ufc for years so they had to find guys to challenge doug marshall so you'd get some anonymous cuban guy turn up, get armbarred, test positive for steroids, and disappear off the face of the earth. and guys had cool names like rich crunkilton

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
anyway i wish michael chandler, justin goatse, and to a lesser extent josh thomson were all in the ufc

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Triticum Guzzler posted:

anyway i wish michael chandler, justin goatse, and to a lesser extent josh thomson were all in the ufc

:same: minus Thomson, as I prefer fights take place between real fighters, instead of figments of our imagination based on fighters who were good several years ago, wrapped around bird bones

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

Triticum Guzzler posted:

the best thing about early zuffa wec was that 205 had been consolidated in the ufc for years so they had to find guys to challenge doug marshall so you'd get some anonymous cuban guy turn up, get armbarred, test positive for steroids, and disappear off the face of the earth. and guys had cool names like rich crunkilton
Wikipedia must be lying because "Lodune Sincaid" and "Justin McElfresh" cannot possibly be the names of real people.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Ditch posted:

"Justin McElfresh"

I think that's one of those MBMBAM dudes

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Bluedeanie posted:

:same: minus Thomson, as I prefer fights take place between real fighters, instead of figments of our imagination based on fighters who were good several years ago, wrapped around bird bones

Sign Thomson to fight Khabib and let the rest of the division get on with their lives

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

fatherdog posted:

Sign Thomson to fight Khabib and let the rest of the division get on with their lives

was literally thinking about this (im)possible fight the other day and i really want to see it