Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Crosspeice posted:

I lift my fist into the air and shout to the heavens, "Bulbapedia!"

Yeah, I don't know about that stuff and though I've been told time and time again how wrong Bulbapedia is about all kinds of things, they're the best resource I got until someone calls me stupid. I'll fix it, probably.
They're not exactly wrong, but it's definitely misleading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Update 40.5: A Remade Elite

Indigo Plateau

It's HGSS Elite Four time and this is our final team. It's not the most effective team, but we'll be fine. Let's go.

I'm gonna be skipping through the Elite Four though, since there's not much different about them from GSC, just the movesets of their Pokemon to make them more dangerous.

VS The Elite Four

Since this is Gen 4, opponents have actual movesets and STAB and super effective coverage and it's pretty tough. Well, it will be the deeper in we go, since levels make a lot of difference. And dragons. We'll get to that.

Will's first Xatu is a U-Turning piece of poo poo that'll also try to Me First you. But our SolidSnake is equipped to handle it no problem.

Slowbro can be a pain if it gets the chance to boost its defenses, but it doesn't have much to hit hard with.

Just cause the opponents have the potential for amazing movesets, doesn't mean they always do.

Like mostly physical Jynx. I mean, they don't want to make the game too tough!

: That's what makes us so formidable!

Unfortunately, you're the first E4, so you're not too much of a big deal. Hey, maybe later. Reflect is a bit annoying, though.

Next up is Koga!

Be careful who you trap in here with you.

Koga is, uh, not a very smart boy.

It's a shame that status and stuff isn't too effective in single player where items are everywhere, but it's a lot of fun in multi.

This Muk, however, can be a huge pain in the rear end. Just hope to Arceus that you hit through its Minimize.

: Ha ha ha! I've been counting on this one from the very beginning!

No I've had enough of this, get out of here.

Bruno time.

Technician can hurt a fair bit, but Dig doesn't apply to it. Not that Wol cares about that move.

Ah, geez. Hitmonchan can actually use the elemental punches since they're physical. They hurt, but without STAB, they're not too bad.

No Heracross, but an Onix with a lot of Special Defense

Well I'm having deja vu. Blaze Kick might be a surprise, but that's about it.

: We're standing firm!

Machamp can be a bit nasty if Fighting doesn't gel with your team. But since it has No Guard, inaccurate moves will always hit it, while also making sure Cross Chop will land.

Nearly done with the Elite Four, but things are gonna get a bit tricky.

Ugh, this Umbreon is just a pain to kill. Curse my lack of Fighting moves.

Why isn't Honchkrow part of the Johto Dex? Load of rubbish, really.

This is why you give your Gengar Shadow Ball.

Need more Dark types, cause this is just a bit silly.

: You're no ordinary Trainer to have gotten this far.

This is where things get scary. This Houndoom can sweep if you're not careful, since it has good STAB coverage and it's pretty fast. Not a lot can survive a +2 and if it goes up to +4, then you've got no chance.

RIP my special wall.

Thankfully, Toto can survive a +2 Dark Pulse, so with a bit of healing, I can take it out.

VS Champion Lance

And now here's the Champion and by far the hardest fight we've got.

My team isn't really well equipped to handle with hard hitting dragons. And the only Electric move I have is Thunder Fang on SolidSnake, so I can't cheese this Gyarados like I did Clair's, since it has Waterfall instead of Hydro Pump.

SolidSnake can deal with these Dragonite fine, but I do want to use my other Pokemon.

Dragon Rush is a pretty nasty attack, but it does miss a fair amount and give you a turn of breathing room. Cause, funnily enough, a team containing Magcargo, Noctowl and Tangrowth aren't exactly equipped to sweep through the Champion.

Charizard is another nasty Pokemon with good STAB and high Speed.

As well as being FUCKIN BULLSHIT

This second Dragonite is just as bad the first one, but with Blizzard instead of Thunder, so Toto is a good match up.

After quite a few nasty Pokemon, Aerodactyl is a good breather to heal my Pokemon, cause I'm not in the best of positions right now.

I'm glad this thing doesn't have Earthquake, cause I can whittle it down and make Lance waste most of his healing items.

Ah poo poo, the final Dragonite is a real doozy.

This thing hits REAL hard, but if I can switch between Toto and SolidSnake, then I can bait out Outrage and have a good time. Otherwise, this dragon just annihilates my team.

Well it would be a 2HKO if it didn't have a Sitrus Berry. Now it's an awkward 3HKO that'll proc the healing item. Grrrrrrrreat

Oh yeah, Toto is one of the few on my team that can actually take a hit from this Dragonite. I didn't say it took the hit well, that was from full health.

I could also bait out Fire Blast, since once it runs out PP on that, SolidSnake would be fine to Ice Fang it down. But I didn't think of that at the time, I was merely relying on it hitting itself in confusion after Outrage. But that took a while.

Because once it did, Toto could take it out! I was pretty close to a wipeout, but it was still a fun and crazy time. You can take any team of six to the Elite Four, but you might not always have the easiest time.

Hall of Fame

But we did it! We beat the game, well done team.

Definitely one of the more fun teams I've had playing Pokemon, lot of stuff I hadn't used before. They were all pretty great and we'll be seeing more of them as we head to Kanto.

Credits

Absolutely watch the credits here, it's by far my favourite in the entire series.

Thanks for a great remake, Mr Iwata.

The End

And thank you for reading these remake updates! I have enjoyed doing them and I hope they didn't feel like they were interrupting the main LP too much. Sometimes I did wonder if there was a point in doing them, like why not just LP the remakes instead of picking out bits and pieces. But I can't exactly stop now, so they'll be continuing on until the end of the LP, especially because it's a lot of fun to go through these games, they're great! But as for right now? Well, do please continue reading...

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Jan 9, 2017

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Update 40.90210: Frontier From Hell

Just before we check back in with postgame Crystal, we'll be doing a couple of things in postgame HGSS.

So off to HGSS's Battle Tower replacement! Sigh...

Looks like he missed the opening.

Frontier Access

Hmm, I'm feeling a bit tropical for some reason.

"of being the first to arrive here..."

: Stupid, stupid me... Sob...sob...

: When a Pokémon battle on the road doesn't satisfy you any longer, you have to come to the Battle Frontier! Wouldn't you agree?

"teach your Pokémon all kinds of moves."

Before we actually head in, there's a triplet of Move Tutors to give your Pokemon new exclusive moves in exchange for BP. Here are all the moves you can learn, so I don't have to list them out. Real useful moves that you won't find anywhere else, but some are just way too pricey. Good luck!

That's all from the Frontier Access, including a pretty useless Center and Mart, though it does sell Dusk Balls. In case you didn't already clock on, this place looks like the Fight Area in Platinum, so it's a nice bit of pasted culture.

Woah! That's a lot of clones.

: We upgrade Vs. Recorders for first-time visitors for Battle Frontier use. I'll borrow yours for a moment. Let's see... Slide open this part here, and ticka-tacka-kachunk there! All done! Here you go.

"of the Battle Frontier operate."

I'll just tell you guys about all the different features of the Battle Frontier.

The Battle Frontier houses five facilities: the Battle Tower for classic Pokemon fighting, the Battle Factory where you use preset rental Pokemon instead of your own, the Battle Arcade where a large board with lots of events is played before every battle, the Battle Castle where items and healing and other features are purchased using Castle Points, and the Battle Hall where you can only use 1 Pokemon for the whole thing!

Scratch Cards are a fun little distraction. For 1BP, you can choose three of a card of one colour: Red, Blue, Green or Yellow and then start scratching. By matching 3 of a Pokemon will get you a prize, with a Ditto acting as a wildcard. Depending on what Pokemon you match up, depends on the prize, either a Nugget, or three of a rare-ish Berry, which is usually a type reducing berry, or the Tamato or Qualot berries, which can only be found here. The Pomeg, Hondew, Kelpsy and Grepa berries can be found elsewhere.

This is the main Exchange Corner, where you can get a load of items for BP, including TMs and rare hold items.

Lot of really good stuff here, the EV boosting drinks are cheap and can be a quick way to get started on EV training, while the Power items add +4 EVs to one stat regardless of opponent defeated, but lower your Speed. And then there's a load of useful metagame hold items, a must to complete the facilities, or to do well in multiplayer.

A fair amount of these TMs can only be found here, but it's always nice to be able to buy multiple copies of really good moves like Earthquake or Shadow Ball.

Final thing to show off isn't the Battle Tower itself, oh god no, but a guy inside the Tower.

: Heheh, it's actually not my real name, but that's what everyone calls me. It's because of this weird power I have. It's a gift, really. I can discern--judge you can say--the overall potential of individual Pokémon. If you'd like, I could judge the intriguing potential of your Pokémon.

While I could just check through Pokesav, let's see how good our starter is.

: That's my determination, and it's final. Incidentally, I would say the best potential lies in its Sp. Atk stat. It's fantastic in that regard. That's how I judged it.

So what the hell did he just say? Okay, the Judge tells you how good your Pokemon's IVs in two ways: first, by adding them up for the overall potential, so a Pokemon with straight 31s would have 186 and he would say it was Outstanding. But he has a range of comments, so if your Pokemon's overall potential was between 151-186, then he would say Outstanding. The only way to know if it's 31 if he says that stat "Can't Be Better", but he'll only pick one stat to comment on. Thankfully, in HGSS, he'll cycle through the six stats in order so if you talk to him six times and he says it "Can't Be Better", then you have a perfect Pokemon. Very nice. But you have to remember what stat you're on, since he doesn't reset the cycle. This is useful if you're making sure you get the right IV, like a 0 in Speed or Attack, for example.

But anyway, that's the Battle Frontier. It's a really neat place with 5 battle facilities, but they're all a hassle to properly complete and finish. So there's no way in hell I'm going through them, I don't hate myself that much.

god loving dammit

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Alright then, y'all knew this was coming, so now it's time to complete the Battle Frontier, using Pokemon chosen by YOU. This will be very similar to the Battle Tower challenges in Crystal and will similarly be spread throughout the rest of the LP. But we are going to be doing things a bit differently, since we will be doing the facilities in a specific order:

First, the Battle Factory with Level 100 Single, just to show how the Battle Frontier works, cause there is a LOT to go over. Then we'll go to the Battle Arcade, then the Battle Hall at level 75, then the Battle Castle and finally the Battle Tower. Most of these facilities can only be fought in 3 vs 3 battles at level 50, meaning there's not too much variety. The Battle Hall is different in that the level range can be 30-100, so we'll got for 75 for a change of pace.

So I'll be accepting Pokemon submissions to take on the facilities, but only for the Battle Castle, Arcade and Tower, the Battle Hall vote will take place after we've done everything else. If you want to submit a Pokemon, then you must choose what facility it'll battle in and whether it'll be entered into the 1-3 streak or the 4-7 streak. Pokemon in the 1-3 streak don't have to be particularly competitive and have a bit more freedom in what you can do, but if you choose the 4-7 streak, then it MUST be competitively viable, otherwise we're never going to beat the battle facility. Also please make it legal, though remember Pokemon will be lowered down to level 50 for the challenge. The Pokemon can be pasted from Smogon, or be your own creation, feel free to go as crazy as you want!

I'll accept any Pokemon so long as its viable and isn't banned (the banned list can be found here), along with the Soul Dew item. Base Rotom is allowed, but its other formes aren't. I'll be accepting three submissions per category, totalling 18 Pokemon. To make things easier, please submit in this format:

Facility Chosen
Pokemon (Nickname) and Streak (either 1-3 for non-serious entries, or 4-7 for the big stuff)
Gender and Item (this ONLY applies for Battle Tower and Battle Hall, Battle Castle and Battle Arcade remove items before the challenge, though there are items to get in both facilities)
List EV spread in a 252/252/4 format, unless it's a specific spread, do also note if IVs are anything aside from straight 31s
Ability and Nature
and Shiny if you wish.
Move 1, Move 2, Move 3, Move 4

When that's all done with, we'll then vote for the 1 Pokemon for the Battle Hall. Only one Pokemon species can be used for a streak, BUT, different sets of the same Pokemon can be used, so after we vote for species, we'll then vote on the 3 different sets it will have, applicable for level 75.

Looking forward to seeing what you guys come up with!

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 17:54 on May 20, 2017

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
A couple of tips for tackling battle facilities. They are not the same thing as competitive matches, so they really shouldn't be treated as such. (OHKO moves and stuff will be in play for one.) Smogon single sets recommend moves that have less than 100% accuracy. In those kind of matches, you have 6 Pokemon, so you have more room to screw up. The battle facilities force you to use less than that amount, so losing one Pokemon can be a massive disadvantage. Even a 95% accurate move can come back to bite you in the butt given that you have to build up a huge streak, and the AI only needs to win once. Smogon sets are a good reference, but if you're trying to win, replace moves like Hydro Pump with Surf, unless you really don't have any better options in that case.

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

Dr. Fetus posted:

A couple of tips for tackling battle facilities. They are not the same thing as competitive matches, so they really shouldn't be treated as such. (OHKO moves and stuff will be in play for one.) Smogon single sets recommend moves that have less than 100% accuracy. In those kind of matches, you have 6 Pokemon, so you have more room to screw up. The battle facilities force you to use less than that amount, so losing one Pokemon can be a massive disadvantage. Even a 95% accurate move can come back to bite you in the butt given that you have to build up a huge streak, and the AI only needs to win once. Smogon sets are a good reference, but if you're trying to win, replace moves like Hydro Pump with Surf, unless you really don't have any better options in that case.

To further this, the farther you go, the AI starts to get a bit... cheaty. I think they do in this version a bit. Your luck starts turning into X-Com luck, where that 80% accuracy move really is like 60%. This means stuff like Thunderbolt will pretty much always be better than Thunder.

Honestly, though, I am most excited to watch the Battle Castle, it is by far my favorite facility. It has the right amount of fiddly-bits for me to enjoy playing with. Hell if I can remember my old team though, I know it had Bahamut the Garchomp though who wrecked faces. I also feel I am half likely to mis-remember certain pokemon who might've gotten updated in a game I am sinking waaaaay too much time into right now. :v:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
The Battle Hall is going to be the most interesting thanks to its format, imo. It's oddly fun because of how many factors you have to consider(what order to tackle types, what moves you need, etc), but those same factors can make it bullshit if you chose poorly.

I wound up cheesing it with a Garchomp and getting Ice and Dark out of the way first (Weavile :argh:). It'll be fun to see what goons pick.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Tower, 50
Aerodactyl
(Kimberly), 1-3
Female, Life Orb

EVs: Attack/Speed/HP
Pressure, Adamant
Stealth Rock, Rock Slide, Earthquake, Thunder Fang

Shiny, if that's OK.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Crawdaunt Level 50 Battle Castle
Patrick 1-3
Male, Kings Rock
You choose the EV's if that's ok
Shell Armor, Adamant
Nightslash, Crabhammer, Aerial Ace, Swagger
E: Updated for the Battle Castle:)

Sjs00 fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Nov 21, 2016

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Level 50, Battle Castle
PorygonZ (or Porygon2; can't remember when the upgrade was available) - "Crafty", streak 1-3
Item: N/A
EV: Sp.Att, Speed, Defense
Ability: Download
Nature: Modest
Moves: Conversion2, Thunder Wave, Dark Pulse, Tri Attack

Note that I suck at competitive battling, so if the moveset isn't viable, please feel free to swap it up a little - I've always wanted to see how the Porygon family and Conversion abilities actually play.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Sjs00 posted:

Crawdaunt Level 50
Patrick 1-3
Male, Kings Rock
You choose the EV's if that's ok
Shell Armor, Adamant
Nightslash, Crabhammer, Aerial Ace, Swagger

Sure thing, choose the facility you want to put it in and you're in!

I've done a bit more research and annoyingly, most facilities are only 3 vs 3 battles at level 50, so you don't need to include the level. You can tell how invested I am into the Battle Frontier when I don't even know the basics :v: Also, while I'm not 100% on how much hax there is going around, we shouldn't encounter too much of it since we only need to beat 49 trainers in a row in most cases. It's not amazingly difficult to do, but maybe we might get really unlucky and wipe to a load of OHKO moves.

Really liking what I'm seeing so far, so do keep submitting stuff!

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

SkyTalon2314 posted:

To further this, the farther you go, the AI starts to get a bit... cheaty. I think they do in this version a bit.
Is that really, provably, true in this case, or is it just players not understanding how genuine randomness works like it usually is? (Never mind that in games that do use massaged randomness, it's almost always in the player's favour.)

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

The games don't cheat, it really is just odds catching up to you. The longer the streak the more likely you are to make mistakes or have misses start to pile up.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

SystemLogoff posted:

The games don't cheat, it really is just odds catching up to you. The longer the streak the more likely you are to make mistakes or have misses start to pile up.

Except someone on the internet literally ran through the stats of thousands of plays and found that at least in some of the newer gen battle facilities the AI definitely cheats. At the very least it's been proven that after a bunch of battles they choose their move after you switch your pokemon so they pick something super effective. I think the odds being off has been proven too, especially for status effects.

Google it, there's some articles out there about it.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Carbon dioxide posted:

Except someone on the internet literally ran through the stats of thousands of plays and found that at least in some of the newer gen battle facilities the AI definitely cheats. At the very least it's been proven that after a bunch of battles they choose their move after you switch your pokemon so they pick something super effective. I think the odds being off has been proven too, especially for status effects.

Google it, there's some articles out there about it.

Like this one? Because it goes into great detail about the AI in the Battle Maison... which is actually really stupid and exploitable if you keep what they say in mind. Pre-Gen VI, Substitute utterly broke some of the Trainer AI if the Pokemon in question had a status move, because they would keep spamming it over and over, giving you several free turns. Truant Durant utterly wreaked havoc on the singles Battle Subway due to the AI not understanding what that Pokemon can do, though it still works in the Battle Maison, just not as well.

The thing with the Battle Facilities is that they demand optimization, right down to the stats. Both bad teams and optimized teams will have holes in them since the format is not 6v6. But the former will be more likely to run into something that ends their streak. It doesn't help that pre-Gen VI, it's pretty much impossible to get a perfect IV spread outside of RNG abuse. Singles is also by far the hardest format to build up a streak in, due to how little room for error you have there. In the Battle Maison, it's far easier to build up a streak and grind for BP in Triples since that format is 6v6, and you have more room to employ certain strategies.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Facility: Battle Tower
Pokemon: Garchomp (Smogon)
Streak: 4-7
Item: Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP/252 Attack/252
Ability: Sand Veil
Nature: Jolly
Outrage, Earthquake, Swords Dance, Fire Fang

A nice, simple swords dance set.
just grabbed a DP smogon set because, honestly, screw the battle tower. treat yourself with a garchomp, I say.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Battle Tower 4-7
Species: Blissey
Item: Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP/252 DEF/ 4 SPD
Moveset:
Softboiled
Minimize
Toxic
Seismic Toss
Nickname: Hatred

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

Dr. Fetus posted:

Like this one? Because it goes into great detail about the AI in the Battle Maison... which is actually really stupid and exploitable if you keep what they say in mind. Pre-Gen VI, Substitute utterly broke some of the Trainer AI if the Pokemon in question had a status move, because they would keep spamming it over and over, giving you several free turns. Truant Durant utterly wreaked havoc on the singles Battle Subway due to the AI not understanding what that Pokemon can do, though it still works in the Battle Maison, just not as well.

The thing with the Battle Facilities is that they demand optimization, right down to the stats. Both bad teams and optimized teams will have holes in them since the format is not 6v6. But the former will be more likely to run into something that ends their streak. It doesn't help that pre-Gen VI, it's pretty much impossible to get a perfect IV spread outside of RNG abuse. Singles is also by far the hardest format to build up a streak in, due to how little room for error you have there. In the Battle Maison, it's far easier to build up a streak and grind for BP in Triples since that format is 6v6, and you have more room to employ certain strategies.

The adjusted luck from what I understand is to make up for the difficulties the AI has. The Battle Facilities still demand optimizations or just something really goddamn cheesy like Truant Durant. I managed to get my Triples Trophy in ORAS using a Hyper Voice + Pixilate + Choice Specs Sylveon with a Mat Block Greninja, and a Tailwind Talonflame.

Later generations also have the AI picking teams more 'tailored' to beating your team in higher streaks. For example, if you lead with Gyarados, you'll be seeing electric type pokemon or pokemon with those moves leading more frequently. (Note: More frequently, not 'all the time'). I mean, it's all subtle adjustments to luck, but in the longer run you still notice it.

Though I still facepalm when I recall playing Battle Revolution (the Stadium equivalent for Gen IV) and having two runs through Main Street Colosseum ended by a Mew that hit all three of my 'mons with Fissure.

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

SkyTalon2314 posted:

Though I still facepalm when I recall playing Battle Revolution (the Stadium equivalent for Gen IV) and having two runs through Main Street Colosseum ended by a Mew that hit all three of my 'mons with Fissure.
At least it wasn't the Courtyard Colosseum. Fissure and Sheer Cold were so drat accurate even with the arena covered in fog

GodofDiscord
Sep 5, 2013

Not the strongest, but the cutest.
What the hell, why not- Wait a second, this game doesn't have Joltik's!? Ah well, at least I can enter my second-favorite Pokemon.

Facility: Battle Arcade
Streak: 1-3
Pokemon: Mawile
Nickname: Joltik!?
Hold Item: Leftovers
EV's: 128 HP, 128 Attack, 252 Speed
Ability: Intimidate
Moves: Attract, Guard Swap, Thunder Fang, Iron Head

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Not sure if it would've been better to put Substitute in there somewhere, but I think a Baton Passer would be maybe helpful?

Battle Tower 4-7
Pokemon: Ninjask
Nickname: DODGE
Ability: Speed Boost
Hold Item: Focus Sash
EVs: 252 Attack, 252 Speed, 4 HP
Moveset:
Protect
Double Team
Baton Pass
X-scissor

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Txn posted:

At least it wasn't the Courtyard Colosseum. Fissure and Sheer Cold were so drat accurate even with the arena covered in fog

I think that's because OHKO moves ignore evasion & accuracy modifiers (aside from things like Mind Reader). It just looks at the levels involved and adds 30 to it, so for equal leveled fights its just a flat 30% no matter what.

a busted-up mailbox
Dec 14, 2012
Battle Tower 4-7
Species: Togekiss
Ability: Serene Grace
Item: Leftovers
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP/252 SDef/4 Def
Moveset:
Air Slash
Thunder Wave
Aura Sphere
Roost
IVs: 0 Atk
Nickname: Pain Plane

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Battle Castle 4-7
Species: Infernape
Ability: Blaze
Item: Life Orb/Focus Sash (your preference)
Nature: Jolly/Adamant (your preference, although Jolly makes him a little more reliable)
EVs: Atk: 252, Speed: 252, HP: 4
Moveset
Fake Out
U-turn
Mach Punch
Fire Punch
Name: Dial M

The intent is to use Monkey as a lead, break any sashes/other bullshit with fakeout and then pivot to whatever's best against your opponent using U-turn.

I'm using Mach Punch and Fire punch because they can't miss and give extra priority but you could equally take close combat/overheat on a focus sash build, leveraging Blaze to make overheat hit hard.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Nov 22, 2016

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

BlackPersona posted:

Not sure if it would've been better to put Substitute in there somewhere, but I think a Baton Passer would be maybe helpful?

Battle Tower 4-7
Pokemon: Ninjask
Nickname: DODGE
Ability: Speed Boost
Hold Item: Focus Sash
EVs: 252 Attack, 252 Speed, 4 HP
Moveset:
Protect
Double Team
Baton Pass
X-scissor

This would be fine as a 1-3. This also means all the 4-7 Battle Tower is done with one more 1-3 available.

Also got one more 1-3 Battle Castle slot with everything else having two slots left? Probably.

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Nov 22, 2016

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

It's probably not a good build, but Tauros gonna hit things hard. Gotta make up for my crystal tower submission being useful.
Plus in the playthrough I did because of this lp I caught a Tauros as my first shiny ever, that might have biased the selection a bit.

Battle Castle 1-3
Species: Tauros
Shiny: Yes
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Speed/252 Attack/4 Def
Moveset:
Take Down
Zen Headbut
Outrage
Earthquake
Nickname: Green Bull

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Lance's Dragonites give me trouble every time. I've never considered that he sends out a Dragonite to match whatever you beat the last one with. So many times Feraligatr went down to the Thunder one.

SkyTalon2314 posted:

While the d20 Pokemon RPG

The what now?

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

SonicRulez posted:

The what now?

Some dudes made a fan-game RPG that's pokemon using the d20 system. It's "okay." Puts a lot of emphasis on Trainer Class, with inevitably awkward stat-spreads due to both wanting every stat to be represented the same number of times, and giving stat penalties to classes (I played a Hex Maniac with 4 strength in one game, for example).

However, the game DOES allow for your pokemon's stats to grow however big you want, more or less, without much regard for species outside of where they start, IIRC. The catch to this, though, is that the game inevitably plays Rocket Tag, with Nuzlocke rules. As in, your pokemon hits 0 HP, make a d% roll. Roll over their Level, and they die. With Weaknesses still being 2x and 4x multipliers, if you encounter any pokemon that carries a move super effective against you, your pokemon is likely going to die in one hit. Because your pokemon isn't restricted to just four moves, that Ninetales you encounter may very well have Energy Ball and just kill off all your Water-types. When my friends and I ran it, we had to homerule the gently caress out of the system to get around both of these problems. No Nuzlocke, but pokemon can die if they take an extreme amount of damage. Then later after my Trainer dealt like 10x a poor Koffing's HP in a single attack, we nerfed Weaknesses to just +damage like STAB is.

There is also PokeRoll which is a d6 system based on White Wolf's die system. Haven't tried that yet, though I want to. While pokemon have hard-caps of a sort with their stats, it seems more balanced in amount of damage, and isn't Nuzlocke by default. Though there's something silly about the way they handle stats on evolution. If a pokemon's stat cap drops on Evolution, you don't lose dots in that stat. So if you got a Scyther with 5 Speed, and evolve it to Scizor (Who has a cap of 3 on Speed), it doesn't go down, leading to a VERY fast Scizor.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

SkyTalon2314 posted:

Some dudes made a fan-game RPG that's pokemon using the d20 system. It's "okay." Puts a lot of emphasis on Trainer Class, with inevitably awkward stat-spreads due to both wanting every stat to be represented the same number of times, and giving stat penalties to classes (I played a Hex Maniac with 4 strength in one game, for example).

However, the game DOES allow for your pokemon's stats to grow however big you want, more or less, without much regard for species outside of where they start, IIRC. The catch to this, though, is that the game inevitably plays Rocket Tag, with Nuzlocke rules. As in, your pokemon hits 0 HP, make a d% roll. Roll over their Level, and they die. With Weaknesses still being 2x and 4x multipliers, if you encounter any pokemon that carries a move super effective against you, your pokemon is likely going to die in one hit. Because your pokemon isn't restricted to just four moves, that Ninetales you encounter may very well have Energy Ball and just kill off all your Water-types. When my friends and I ran it, we had to homerule the gently caress out of the system to get around both of these problems. No Nuzlocke, but pokemon can die if they take an extreme amount of damage. Then later after my Trainer dealt like 10x a poor Koffing's HP in a single attack, we nerfed Weaknesses to just +damage like STAB is.
this is causing me physical pain to read

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

SkyTalon2314 posted:

There is also PokeRoll which is a d6 system based on White Wolf's die system. Haven't tried that yet, though I want to. While pokemon have hard-caps of a sort with their stats, it seems more balanced in amount of damage, and isn't Nuzlocke by default. Though there's something silly about the way they handle stats on evolution. If a pokemon's stat cap drops on Evolution, you don't lose dots in that stat. So if you got a Scyther with 5 Speed, and evolve it to Scizor (Who has a cap of 3 on Speed), it doesn't go down, leading to a VERY fast Scizor.

Jesus christ, even the Final Fantasy D20 is better balanced then this, and IT'S WRITTEN BY ONE GUY.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

SkyTalon2314 posted:

The adjusted luck from what I understand is to make up for the difficulties the AI has. The Battle Facilities still demand optimizations or just something really goddamn cheesy like Truant Durant. I managed to get my Triples Trophy in ORAS using a Hyper Voice + Pixilate + Choice Specs Sylveon with a Mat Block Greninja, and a Tailwind Talonflame.

Later generations also have the AI picking teams more 'tailored' to beating your team in higher streaks. For example, if you lead with Gyarados, you'll be seeing electric type pokemon or pokemon with those moves leading more frequently. (Note: More frequently, not 'all the time'). I mean, it's all subtle adjustments to luck, but in the longer run you still notice it.

There is no adjusted luck. The battle facilities do not deliberately stack against your team either. Most likely it's just the RNG picking Pokemon sets that can exploit the holes in your team. People have looked into the game and found nothing of the sort. The difficulty does ramp up as you build up a bigger streak, since there are Pokemon who have movesets that can be very difficult to deal with unprepared teams. (Walrein4 is an infamous one. Has a Lax Incense, knows Fissure, Sheer Cold, Rest, and Sleep Talk. And has been in every battle facility since RSE. :argh:)

Oh, if any of you are looking to make streaks in the Platinum/HGSS Battle Frontier, this is a good resource. The trainers and exactly what Pokemon they use have been data mined, which makes building up streaks far easier if you know what to expect in advance.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Update 41: An Electrifying Entrance into Kanto

Oh hi there. You ready for some postgame? Cause I sure am. Don't worry, unlike my last LP, the postgame won't consist of two stretched out updates, there's actually still loads to cover!

New Bark Town

Always good to be back home after a long adventure, but what to do now?

: I have something here for you. Could you swing by my LAB? See you later!

And there's our answer, let's go!

Pokemon Lab

: I called because I have something for you. See? It's an S.S. TICKET. Now you can catch POKéMON in KANTO.

: The ship departs from OLIVINE CITY. But you knew that already, MARINA. After all, you've travelled all over with your POKéMON. Give my regards to PROF.OAK in KANTO!

Time to explore a whole other region, though we still need to ride a boat to get there.

drat straight

: That's it. Thank you!

"on board."

S.S. Aqua

"VERMILION CITY."

: We will make an announcement when we arrive.

We're heading east towards the waters of Kanto. So until we get there, let's explore the ship.

Gah! Goddamn piece of a motherfu-

: She's just a wee girl. If you see her, please let me know!

Well I guess we could search the ship. Some cabins are empty, but others have trainers.

So let's face our first postgame trainer, can't wait!

...o-oh, that's not a very high level at all. Oh dear. Oh dear oh dear.

Ah goddamn, there goes my money. I'm not too sure if your MOM only buys one of each item in a row, in which case this would be the big doll that costs a lot. But we won't find out for a little bit.

What is that sinking feeling in my stomach thinking about Kanto?

: If your POKéMON are hurt, take a nap in the bed. That will heal them.

Pretty swanky pad, even includes a PC. Which is useful to dump the various items we'll get on this boat and anything we had leftover after the E4.

"breathing shows!"

Let's not talk about fire in Kanto, shall we.

: It doesn't matter? Really?

Not really, but okay.

I mean, probably, but that requires me to talk to her when I go visiting, which I, uh, forgot to do.

"That's not fair!"

(PEG): I'm not a baby! That's not nice to say to a lady!

"girls!"

(PEG): Sometimes, kids are smarter than grown-ups!

: I still can't find my granddaughter. If she's on the ship, that's OK. She's an energetic child, so she may be bugging someone. I'm worried...

Well we're done in this area of the ship, so it's time to head down into the depths.

"for my buddy?"

: He's goofing off somewhere, that lazy bum! I want to go find him, but I'm on duty right now.

Alright then, time to hunt for sea men.

: I wasn't goofing off! This cabin was vacant, so I just took a quick nap! A forget it! Let's battle!

So this is the postgame for us? Low levels and no new Pokemon? Oh wonderful

Now we can move on.

: A little girl? I may have seen her go by here.

I think everyone's back to normal levels, but if that's the level curve from here on out, then we won't be seeing many more.

Thank goodness

"on my break."

Lot of sailors in here need to be doing their jobs and quit the slacking!

"serious."

Last trainer on the ship.

Nothing interesting to note, though

Alright, captain's quarters

: Hi! Will you play with me? ...Oh! Grandpa's worried about me? I have to go! I have to go find Grandpa!

: Grandpa, here I am! I was playing with the CAPTAIN and this big girl!

: I want to thank you for that. I know! I'd like you to have this!

Ding dong!

"VERMILION CITY."

Finally, we're here in Kanto! But first...

: Keeping that little girl amused was exhausting.

Might as well heal while we're here

"VERMILION CITY."

: I hear many rare POKéMON live over there.

Vermilion City

Vermilion City: The Port of Exquisite Sunsets
(Vermilion is a reddish-orange pigment from the mineral cinnabar)
Kuchiba City: Kubicha is the color of orange sunsets
(From kuchiba iro, the orange colour of decayed leaves)

Mainland Kanto. I'm feeling nostalgic already.

: GYM LEADERS are especially strong. They won't be easy to defeat.

Hmm, well there are some aspects of Kanto that seem familiar, like Snorlax blocking the way everywhere.

Otherwise, this place looks pretty much the same. I mean, duh, it's only been 3 years.

We'll also have a few weird Mart options since we're in the postgame and technically have access to everything.

"for construction."

: But I have no money to start the project...

"the ground flat."

Well, some things never change.

So, uh, should we? I dunno...

: Oh, right. It's a CLEFAIRY POKé DOLL.

Hey cutie

"CLUB."

: I've raised over 150 POKéMON. I'm very fussy when it comes to POKéMON. Did you visit just to hear about my POKéMON?

No, but I'll say yes anyway (do I have to transcribe all this poo poo???)

: So... my favorite RAPIDASH... It... cute... lovely... smart... unbearably... plus... amazing... oh... you think so?... Too much... wild... beautiful... kindly... love it! Hug it... when... sleeping... warm and cuddly... Oh, and... spectacular... ravishing... simply divine... Oops! Look at the stime! I've kept you too long! Thanks for hearing me out. I want you to have this!

"stronger."

: I prefer making my POKéMON stronger by battling, so you can have it.

I felt like I was in a fever dream for the past ten minutes, let's snap out of it by taking on one of those Kanto Gyms.

Pokemon Gym

: You lucked out this time. LT.SURGE is very cautious. He has traps set all over the GYM. But--he-heh--the traps aren't active right now. You'll have no problem getting to LT.SURGE.

I'm so glad we don't have to do this trash puzzle, but there's still trainers to fight.

: Think you can beat me?

Pokemon Trainer (Kanto)

Gah! This is some good music! Oh, there's another trainer to fight I guess...

"to be shocked!"

I am definitely shocked.

My team doesn't have amazing Electric resists, so you might be right.

"sir!"

You're still gonna be here in three more years, huh

Well with this Gym's description found, it's time to face the big boss.

: I have to hand it to you. It may not be very smart to challenge me, but it takes guts! When it comes to electric POKéMON, I'm number one! I've never lost on the battlefield. I'll zap you like I did my enemies in war!

Gym Leader Battle (Kanto)

Lt. Surge: The Lightning American
(Lieutenant is a junior army rank, just below Captain, which is below Major and Surge refers to electricity. Matis is from Clematis, a type of buttercup.)

Admittedly it wasn't the best idea to leave Helios in, but it's not a huge deal. You can fight the Kanto Gym Leaders whenever you want, in more or less any order. But I'll be fighting them as soon as I see them, otherwise we'll just keep getting stronger and they won't be fun to fight. Also, hype that battle music, so good.

Surge's team isn't hugely interesting, since it contains only Electric and Normal moves with one exception, so there's nothing very unexpected. Raichu is just a hard hitting attacker.

...Kamina? shits all over this guy's team, but to sweep now wouldn't be much fun, so we'll just take out this Electabuzz. Earthquake in general does really well against the Electric user.

His two Electrode are more annoying than difficult, while also being identical.

Alright, let's not do the exploding again, okay?

Ah for crying out loud...

The final Pokemon, Magneton, has a nasty Lock On and Zap Cannon combination that can also use Double Team. Not fun. But it's very weak to Ground as well as being slow in general.

So we're done with this fight.

"POKéMON's speed."

: Consider it proof that you defeated me. You wear it proudly, hear? Hey, kid! Still slugging and chugging away? My POKéMON and I are still at it!

: It sure made me nervous.

Oh, uh, right, you can't view your new Kanto badges, nor do you get TMs from Gym Leaders most of the time. Oh well, let's head off to the next one.

Next time, we'll head north.

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jan 20, 2017

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

As an aside, there's still ONE slot for Battle Tower 1-3, TWO slots for Battle Castle 4-7, TWO slots for Battle Arcade 1-3 and THREE slots for Battle Arcade 4-7, so it's first come first serve, keep submitting!

beru04
May 4, 2013

Stop making me realise things.
Here we go with Kanto proper!

quote:

Also, hype that battle music, so good.

So good.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Goddamn I forgot how good the Gym Leader and Trainer themes were. And I've played over 120 hours of Gold.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

quote:

Skilled trainers gather in Kanot. GYM LEADERS are especially strong. They won't be easy to defeat.
citation needed

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Well shoot, no wonder all these trainers are losers. We got on the boat to the wrong postgame region!

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Ah, I really don't want four updates on one page.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

So I'll just do...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

...a little bumping

• Locked thread