Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
I'm pretty sure the story was that they wanted to work with Kevin Wada, but his artwork doesn't translate to sequential art very well. So, seeing as how his artwork was more suited to magazine work than comics, they decided to make a magazine issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

trashbuilder posted:

Can someone summarise the newest issue of wic+div for me, I tried reading all the stuff and lost interest. When will comics people realise that "Prose issues" are not what we buy your comic for.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Eeeeenh nothing much in this issue of Island that I liked.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Synthbuttrange posted:

Eeeeenh nothing much in this issue of Island that I liked.

I feel it's not living up to the potential it had shown in its earlier issues. The best stories so far for me have been the Aztec style inter-generational spaceship, the body swapping story with the transgender themes, and the story about the maniac whose house party turned into a race of super-humans. The worst stuff has been any of the edgy furry stuff, and the French stories with no dialogue (the art is nice, but it doesn't hold my interest at all).

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah, all the interesting stuff finished and I'm just not into the current stories or singles at all.

Oh well the risk of anthologies.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

frameset posted:

The worst stuff has been any of the edgy furry stuff,

Has there been any more since issue 6?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

One of the current stories is furry male prostitute adventures.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Synthbuttrange posted:

One of the current stories is furry male prostitute adventures.

Yeah, and I keep cutting myself on the edge.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Oh i see how interesting

Wookie Bouquet
Jan 27, 2013

Too tsundere to drive.
Ancestor was good too (and over). Johnny Christmas's Volcano god one isn't finished yet (???) either, and seemed pretty cool, would like to see more of that.

I kind of like the french no-dialogue stories, because they look like they would fit right into the illustrations of a 1990s Squaresoft manual / concept art book, even if they don't make a lick of sense.

13 & 14 look kind of meh based on author list. But I really liked Dilraj Mann's & Grimm Wilkins art style so 15 should be solid.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
It's 4 in the morning and i spent all night rampaging through the first 6 volumes of the IDW Ghostbusters ongoing omg this book is so amazing i can't wait to finish it tomorrow

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

site posted:

It's 4 in the morning and i spent all night rampaging through the first 6 volumes of the IDW Ghostbusters ongoing omg this book is so amazing i can't wait to finish it tomorrow

It's a really fun book with amazingly expressive art!

Then there's THE crossover!

EDIT: I mean there's a few crossovers with other IDW licenses but oh man you'll know which crossover I'm talking about when you get to it. If you were an 80's kid you'll just be grinning from ear to ear.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

JohnnyCanuck posted:

It's a really fun book with amazingly expressive art!

Then there's THE crossover!

EDIT: I mean there's a few crossovers with other IDW licenses but oh man you'll know which crossover I'm talking about when you get to it. If you were an 80's kid you'll just be grinning from ear to ear.

Yeah, i had to finish it yesterday and the real gb crossover was great and I'm glad that they're keeping it going with bringing back blonde Egon in int'l

And you're right about the art. I have to give the writing its due first, both the character voices which are dead on and the stories themselves are actually really engaging (and the author decided to grab Kylie from extreme which was a great move imo, and there's even The Rookie from gb the game with his Chicago franchise!). But the art in the book is way better than i would've ever expected for a gb tie-in (and if you go back to read the earlier idw minis released before they tried the ongoing the difference is wild), and in addition to being great in general almost every page had some sight gag or reference to previous media for hypernerds. So loving good man omg

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I have a ton of the GB stuff from the Humble Bundle but have not read it yet. However, this is very important, does Kylie have that super-exaggerated Brooklyn accent she had about 30% of the time in the cartoon (AKA whenever the voice director remembered to tell Tara Strong to do it)?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Um, well, it's words on a page so no one has an accent

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Tell that to Gambit

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Roth posted:

Tell that to Gambit

It not me, it Gambit.

Also, the Thing says hi. Or "wotta revoltin' development!".

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Hmm okay fair enough. No, she doesn't have an accent of any sort lol

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Cinema Purgatorio: Did the Vast story just get repeated? Lol at Code Pru

Greekonomics
Jun 22, 2009

Synthbuttrange posted:

Cinema Purgatorio: Did the Vast story just get repeated? Lol at Code Pru

Yeah, I noticed that too. Did you get yours from Comixology too?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Greekonomics posted:

Yeah, I noticed that too. Did you get yours from Comixology too?

Yup.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

There's a little Southern Bastards related piece in DC's Orlando shooting benefit comic.
http://www.cbr.com/love-is-love-andreyko-shares-powerful-stories-in-orlando-benefit-anthology/

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sex Criminals is coming back February 15. Yay.

https://twitter.com/ElusiveJ/status/801126835861921792

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Synthbuttrange posted:

Cinema Purgatorio: Did the Vast story just get repeated?

Avatar acknowledged the error and said the next chapter will be in the next issue. No refunds or anything, I guess.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Action Jacktion posted:

Avatar acknowledged the error and said the next chapter will be in the next issue. No refunds or anything, I guess.

That sucks, they could at least print the next chapter online for free to make up for it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'm really going to need to do a character mugshot sheet for Black Monday Murders.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.
That was a really dark ending for Chew.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
enjoyed the hell out of the goddamned. sure it's nothing particularly new in concept or, for the most part, execution (some relatively novel ideas - the antediluvian, nihilistic setting has more in common with post-apocalyptic settings than antiquarian ones) , but it's just a really enjoyable, visceral and dark antihero story. i'll look forward to the next arc.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
How is A.D.?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Prepare to read a lot about an awkward kid growing up with a dying mother, temperamental father, and low income. Also there are some pages about a farm in the future. Death has been cured, but nothing has changed really in the first issue.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Neurosis posted:

enjoyed the hell out of the goddamned. sure it's nothing particularly new in concept or, for the most part, execution (some relatively novel ideas - the antediluvian, nihilistic setting has more in common with post-apocalyptic settings than antiquarian ones) , but it's just a really enjoyable, visceral and dark antihero story. i'll look forward to the next arc.

I read the first few issues, need to catch up on the rest. It reminded me a lot of the way the movie Noah approached the pre-Flood world.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

AD is worth all the reading, IMO.
As a bonus, it told me there's a new Lemire written/drawn series coming that I didn't know about.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Teenage Fansub posted:

AD is worth all the reading, IMO.
As a bonus, it told me there's a new Lemire written/drawn series coming that I didn't know about.

I liked it too. For those on the fence, it's only about 50% prose, and most of the time not full pages.

The ad for Lemire's new series was a pleasant surprise for me as well. The guy's had a hell of a 2016 and I look forward to seeing what next year brings.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Next week. One year and four months after the last issue...
*drumroll*

https://www.previewsworld.com/Catalog/SEP160715
:aaa:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Humanoids are swapping out free to read graphic novels every day till Christmas.
http://www.humanoids.com/

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
So i stumbled into Hickman's the Manhattan projects while looking for cyberpunk stuff and it wasn't at all what i was looking for but it interested me anyways and wow this poo poo really kinda just cuts off and loses the plot in the last couple volumes huh

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

site posted:

So i stumbled into Hickman's the Manhattan projects while looking for cyberpunk stuff and it wasn't at all what i was looking for but it interested me anyways and wow this poo poo really kinda just cuts off and loses the plot in the last couple volumes huh

Hickman has said it's the one thing he's written where he didn't plan anything in advance, he just wrote whatever he felt like issue by issue only thinking about the issue he was writing just to see where the hell it went. Basically it's just a book where he does crazy poo poo for fun.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
And just how bananas it was was deffo part of the appeal. It's just that like vol 5 ends on assassinating jfk at the behest of lbj which felt like an interlude to the next chapter, and theres a short insinuating that trouble might be brewing in the group and then suddenly there's an arc about yuri and laika and then oops that's it i guess?? It's just like uh okay then

It was fun while it lasted i suppose

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I think they still intend to continue in miniseries past Sun Beyond The Stars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Oh thats good for some reason i had it in my mind that i had heard on here or someone mentioned to me elsewhere that it was done