Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Everything I knew about australia as a child I learned from Tazmania.

I grew up on a steady diet of documentaries about the great barrier reef and monotremes. I wanted to be a marine biologist really badly, but instead ended up becoming a teacher? I've come to realize that I'd have been under-funded either way, so whatever. I still need to learn to dive though, for when I'm one day living in a non-landlocked state. I suppose if I wait long enough, the ocean will come to me...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

cinci zoo sniper posted:

same only crocodile dandy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcE0aAhbVFc

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Octatonic posted:

I grew up on a steady diet of documentaries about the great barrier reef and monotremes. I wanted to be a marine biologist really badly, but instead ended up becoming a teacher? I've come to realize that I'd have been under-funded either way, so whatever. I still need to learn to dive though, for when I'm one day living in a non-landlocked state. I suppose if I wait long enough, the ocean will come to me...

You can still pursue your dreams of being a marine biologist while being a teacher, I don't know if anyone's told you that before.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
wish people in the lyin' media would stop using "white nationalist"

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Matoi Ryuko posted:

You can still pursue your dreams of being a marine biologist while being a teacher, I don't know if anyone's told you that before.
the problem is usually the opposite, that you get handed teaching/administrative responsibilities while all you wish is to be a researcher

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Matoi Ryuko posted:

You should leave some treats out for your new companion. What do echidnas eat? Enchiladas?
ants and termites! they're a good little dude to have around

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

cinci zoo sniper posted:

the problem is usually the opposite, that you get handed teaching/administrative responsibilities while all you wish is to be a researcher

It's because talented teachers are in high demand worldwide.

Avshalom posted:

ants and termites! they're a good little dude to have around

I want a pet echidna so I can make him wear a tiny party hat.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Man, I really really don't want to go back into academia though. I'm not about to get started on a phd in my late 20s while research funding, especially climate/ecology adjacent research keeps getting cut. (Not that I'm that great a situation where I am either in this regard!)

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Octatonic posted:

Man, I really really don't want to go back into academia though. I'm not about to get started on a phd in my late 20s while research funding, especially climate/ecology adjacent research keeps getting cut. (Not that I'm that great a situation where I am either in this regard!)

Who else is going to save the oceans? It's got to be you.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Octatonic posted:

See, this is everything I imagined Australia to be when I was small. Less of the horrific detention camps and stealing native children and dying reefs more wonderful, bumbling, wildlife
the actual natural side of australia is glorious, earlier this year i got to babysit some tame kangaroos for a few months and they were like bouncy deer with big shiny eyes and fuzzy rabbit fur

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Matoi Ryuko posted:

It's because talented teachers are in high demand worldwide.
not everyone in academia is, or ends up, a talented teacher. very few do so, in fact. even ignoring that, there's no teacher worse than one who doesn't want to teach. rules are the same as with any other forced extra labour.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
https://twitter.com/lerdybines/status/801008599363268609

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
and in academia they teach you to be researchers, not teachers

most people in academia don't get much, if any, training in teaching, and so the vast majority are just winging it

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

exmarx posted:

wish people in the lyin' media would stop using "white nationalist"

It's true, though?

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
USSA special forces have killed pissgrampalenin in a daring raid on Abbottabad

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Randler posted:

It's true, though?

its hurting his friend's feelings

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

exmarx posted:

is there a nate argent who's predicting le pen will lose

i like this post

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

WoodrowSkillson posted:

its hurting his friend's feelings

Nah, I think he's going for an "All Americans are nationalists, so why single out the white ones." woke-strafe.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

and in academia they teach you to be researchers, not teachers

most people in academia don't get much, if any, training in teaching, and so the vast majority are just winging it

This is absolutely the case, and many times even in education training Pedagogy is an underserved discipline. It's hard to find good research on best practices, and often teachers are asked to basically figure it out as they go, especially your TAs and adjuncts at the University level.

What I'm finding most effective is doing things that are a lot like social work. Teach kids that it's okay to be patient with themselves, to take time to practice and iterate and work, which is really made a lot harder when they're in an environment that's often rightfully seem as confusing, arbitrary, and judgemental. It really pains me to be asked to enforce some of the useless, "no talking in the halls" "discipline for discipline's sake" kinds of things. How do you teach critical thinking when the computer grading your district-assigned quiz thinks -(4/5) (-4/5) and (4/-5) are different responses? (obviously we manually correct that poo poo, but come on! stop undermining us, Google Classroom!)

Octatonic fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Nov 22, 2016

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
I think if study skills classes were both good and mandatory there's be a lot fewer people losing their minds on campus.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
lol there is a youtube channel of a guy who walks around pyongyang with a gopro in his ushanka

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Disinterested posted:

I think if study skills classes were both good and mandatory there's be a lot fewer people losing their minds on campus.

Or if there was mandatory conscription and kids didn't go to college until they were 22

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

rear end struggle posted:

lol there is a youtube channel of a guy who walks around pyongyang with a gopro in his ushanka

I have somehow seen this channel already

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Volkerball posted:

Or if there was mandatory conscription and kids didn't go to college until they were 22

Is 22 old to start college by American standards?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Randler posted:

Is 22 old to start college by American standards?

Vast majority start at 18.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Volkerball posted:

Vast majority start at 18.

Guess that explains why a lot of US college classes sound like high school stuff.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

kustomkarkommando posted:

I have somehow seen this channel already

It's interesting. The guy was from some exchange with Indonesia so he definitely got treated differently than american hipster tourists. Lots of samsung products too, which was surprising.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Disinterested posted:

i had to pause for several minutes during my final undergrad project presentation because a masters student had an absolute meltdown in the courtyard below and was howling and screeching like an animal until security managed to lure her away, our campus was a neo-brutalist concrete nightmare so her screams of anguish reverberated off all the hard surfaces and effortlessly drowned me out and the markers all agreed that i could take a short break rather than have to yell over the top of her. i got excellent marks for that presentation, i'm pretty sure it was a sympathy thing

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Randler posted:

Guess that explains why a lot of US college classes sound like high school stuff.

College classes are definitely easier for me than highschool was.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Volkerball posted:

I'm sure the emotional stability of a bunch of people forced into service at the age of 18 will reduce mental health issues in higher education

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

I mean who is more mentally stable than our war veterans hurrah

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
Also I feel like no one can write

literally every undergrad paper I've peer reviewed seemed like I was reading that bart simpson report about libya

im sure mine suck too

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
I also enjoy "Hold Your Head Up" by Argent

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

kustomkarkommando posted:

I mean who is more mentally stable than our war veterans hurrah

conscription doesn't mean fighting

just having your human instincts broken until the point you can kill

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

Also I feel like no one can write

literally every undergrad paper I've peer reviewed seemed like I was reading that bart simpson report about libya

im sure mine suck too

My roommate TA'd for the lowest level expository writing class, I begged and pleaded to read those papers

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
being able to write coherently is a surprisingly rare skill

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
I still probably can't write very well but I'm glad to have had no less than ten thousand hours on a platform of sorts talking to strangers wrt public speaking

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

I'm sure the military will be keen to get the optimum value for their money

Might as well start a little war just to keep Putin on his toes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Disinterested posted:

also if we reduced GPA gating in professional programs

premeds are the flightiest, most breakdown-prone motherfuckers in the world

• Locked thread