Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Sith Warrior had the best overall story. It's great from the start, keeps getting better, and the finale is totally awesome.

Darth Baras is the gooniest Sith.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Fuzz posted:

I like his voice actor...it has a Robert Stack quality to it IMO.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Darth Baras is pretty much entirely redeemed by his VA yeah. The guy can totally chew the scenery.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
For the bounty hunter, I wish they gave more screentime to the Defenestrator. I'd rather have him watch my back.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Fuzz posted:

Sith Warrior had the best overall story. It's great from the start, keeps getting better, and the finale is totally awesome.

And one absolutely has to be a sassmouth to Baras. It's like the whipped cream and cherry on the sundae of the Warrior storyline.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

M_Sinistrari posted:

And one absolutely has to be a sassmouth to Baras. It's like the whipped cream and cherry on the sundae of the Warrior storyline.

Yeah.

I don't give a poo poo what anyone says, SW has the best storyline, and KotFE works extremely well with it... Arcann's story makes way more sense as an SW, even, moreso than a JK. :colbert:

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014
light side sith warrior is hilarious

no one has any idea how to react to you the entire storyline

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Ugh, all I have left for flashpoints is czerka core meltdown and so far I'm 0/2 in groups that can kill the duneclaw.

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

howe_sam posted:

Ugh, all I have left for flashpoints is czerka core meltdown and so far I'm 0/2 in groups that can kill the duneclaw.

Thankfully only had to do that place once (Only time I've ever been) but man is that boss a piece of poo poo. We wiped at least twice but finally managed to take him down. Does way too much damage, has way too much HP, and the kolto stations are way too spread out. The Tactical FPs are pretty poorly balanced all around, but that one takes the cake.

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
I admit, I got a chuckle when my Miraluka Gunslinger said the smuggler stock line of "I'll do it blindfolded, just for fun."

As someone who's just coming back to the game because I want to finally do the expansion content, and settled on Smuggler for it, am I losing anything by not picking, say a force-using class?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

M_Sinistrari posted:

I always have Vette with me, and she loves it when I sass Baras. And I love it, too. :D

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

Colgate posted:

I admit, I got a chuckle when my Miraluka Gunslinger said the smuggler stock line of "I'll do it blindfolded, just for fun."

As someone who's just coming back to the game because I want to finally do the expansion content, and settled on Smuggler for it, am I losing anything by not picking, say a force-using class?

It doesnt flow quite as nicely, but it still functions.

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

I think, therefore I am inevitable.

Mr. Maggy posted:

light side sith warrior is hilarious

no one has any idea how to react to you the entire storyline

LS warrior is (one of?) my absolute favorites because it helps underscore that Light Side =/= "Good Person". At least as far as Bioware's LS goes, anyway. When you basically troll Jedi so hard they fall to the dark side, it's hard to argue that it's a positive act of benevolence :v:

Then again, it's the sort of technicality the Jedi Council would love, so?

Also, one thing I really loved about the BH story is going about recruiting Gault. Before you get him, you really, really want to kill him. And after that he works his charm and becomes amazing and indispensable. Say what you will, but the man's got the skills.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!
Hey, I'm just getting back into the game after a year and a half off. Have a few simple questions:

1) Is the only way to get the LvD stuff on new characters?

2) How long is the double XP thing lasting? Last I checked it still had more than a month of game time left on it.

3) Are there any drawbacks to making a level 60 other than missing out on the storyline beforehand? Do you start with appropriate gear? Do you get it quickly enough not to matter?

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

thelazyblank posted:

Hey, I'm just getting back into the game after a year and a half off. Have a few simple questions:

1) Is the only way to get the LvD stuff on new characters?

2) How long is the double XP thing lasting? Last I checked it still had more than a month of game time left on it.

3) Are there any drawbacks to making a level 60 other than missing out on the storyline beforehand? Do you start with appropriate gear? Do you get it quickly enough not to matter?

Yes, you have to start a new character during this event, which ends next week. Not sure about the double xp, but it may end with the expansion's release. Drawbacks of the instant 60 are missing the class storyline and being unable to do the LvD stuff. You do start with decent gear, plenty to go right into the KOTFE expansion.

FYI doing all the LvD stuff up through earning the companion and the full set of xp bonus gear took me about 48 hours total in game though I did spend extra time finishing the sith warrior storyline before moving on to KOTFE. I leveled both characters to 65 doing only storyline quests, with 2-3 warzone pvp matches and doing all the dungeon flashpoints once on the easiest setting I could. That was with spamming space bar through cutscenes I'd seen already. I didn't bother getting the other 6 classes to 50, maxing crew tradeskills, or doing the extra stuff for the legendary tier.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Trooper

Choosing between 300 soldiers and my side chick?

Jorgan was not happy.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Dalris Othaine posted:

Also, one thing I really loved about the BH story is going about recruiting Gault. Before you get him, you really, really want to kill him. And after that he works his charm and becomes amazing and indispensable. Say what you will, but the man's got the skills.

I recruited him in KOTFE and really wanted him dead afterwards, does that count?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

sassassin posted:

I recruited him in KOTFE and really wanted him dead afterwards, does that count?

How the gently caress could you not like Gault? :stare:

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Fuzz posted:

I hated him after the bounty hunter tattooine story (haven't played much farther yet), but liked him in KOTFE - must have been Vette's influence there.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
New Gunslinger and Sniper stuns. Gunslinger one should be an insta kill, imho.

https://twitter.com/SWTOR/status/800834265500028928

https://twitter.com/SWTOR/status/800781616717189120

Medullah fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Nov 22, 2016

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

bagrada posted:

I hated him after the bounty hunter tattooine story (haven't played much farther yet), but liked him in KOTFE - must have been Vette's influence there.

He was a lot funnier in KOTFE to be honest. I did appreciate the end of his recruitment giving you the option to shoot his clone full of holes with a "We'll say you went out in a blaze of glory!", was very cathartic. Honestly for all people mention Skadge forcing his way into your companions, Gault does it first. Hell, it's kind of a BH companion thing in general that they push themselves into the group; Torian does too if I recall, though Mako sort of asks if memory serves (and of course if anybody doesn't WANT Blizz they're a monster and their complaints can be disregarded :colbert:).

Medullah posted:

New Gunslinger and Sniper stuns. Gunslinger one should be an insta kill, imho.

https://twitter.com/SWTOR/status/800834265500028928

https://twitter.com/SWTOR/status/800781616717189120

An even funnier way to get the finishing blow on an opponent if you can pull it off now.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBCDY5XhZng

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

MadDogMike posted:

I did appreciate the end of his recruitment giving you the option to shoot his clone full of holes with a "We'll say you went out in a blaze of glory!", was very cathartic.

Wait are you definitely talking about Gault here? When did that happen? :psyduck:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Fuzz posted:

I don't like the loveable scamp routine when the character is otherwise busy lying, lying by omission, and being a manipulative rear end in a top hat.

Cocky prick needs a taste of mortar fire imho.

Trooper:

Both senate trials are damp squibs.

And after I was so careful not picking a companion who had a) seen me murder an unarmed prisoner or b) choose a girl over 300 other soldiers to accompany me.

Corellia is always such a chore to get around.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

sassassin posted:

Trooper:

Both senate trials are damp squibs.

And after I was so careful not picking a companion who had a) seen me murder an unarmed prisoner or b) choose a girl over 300 other soldiers to accompany me.

Corellia is always such a chore to get around.

I enjoyed when you had to go into that meeting knowing that the Senator was an informant. Garza wants you to do it by the book and not make a big fuss, and the DS choice is to: Walk in and shoot him in his face, then walk out.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Is there some kind of cheat sheet checklist for getting the easiest dvl event stuff done? Still pretty new to this game so I don't really get half the terminology.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Light Gun Man posted:

Is there some kind of cheat sheet checklist for getting the easiest dvl event stuff done? Still pretty new to this game so I don't really get half the terminology.

http://dulfy.net/2016/06/28/swtor-dark-vs-light-event-checklist/

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Thanks!

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Got Czerka Core Meltdown tonight. DvL Champion and Eternal done! :toot:

Now I can take it easy and maybe finish off the class stories I haven't gotten to yet.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Fuzz posted:

I don't quite get the Gault hate either, but then he and Tanno Vik remind me of a couple of my favorite cousins so I might be biased.

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

Can you use one of those "start at 60" tokens to get the second DvL character to "reach level 65" for the Eternal level? I haven't done the tactical flashpoints for Champion yet, but I'm wondering if it'll be worth doing if I'd then have to level another character all the way from 1 through 65 again for Eternal.

edit: Ah. So it only works for characters starting from the beginning. Great.

some dillweed fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Nov 22, 2016

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Vriess posted:

I enjoyed when you had to go into that meeting knowing that the Senator was an informant. Garza wants you to do it by the book and not make a big fuss, and the DS choice is to: Walk in and shoot him in his face, then walk out.

They'd let you walk out after that?

It's such an inconsequential sequence if you do it the easy way. You hand over the evidence and everyone stands up and claps. The end.

It's the first time I can remember the Trooper story setting up a potentially interesting story (having the dodgy black-ops stuff investigated) only to switch it out for a far more boring one almost immediately (reveal the traitor using this evidence we already got for you. No work involved).

This happened all the time in the Agent story, so Trooper's still good overall

sassassin fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Nov 22, 2016

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

So what's the fastest way to gear yourself up for HM instances? I'd kinda let my republic side slack and as the time is getting closer I realize I need to crank on that to get those specific faction ones done. Would it just be do story, get data crystals, and dump it all into the 200/208/whatever it is gear?

dreffen fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Nov 22, 2016

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

dreffen posted:

So what's the fastest way to gear yourself up for HM instances? I'd kinda let my republic side slack and as the time is getting closer I realize I need to crank on that to get those specific faction ones done. Would it just be do story, get data crystals, and dump it all into the 200/208/whatever it is gear?

Revan opening set of scenarios gives you north of 300 if you ahvent done them, i think hutt cartel does as well but i cant remember.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Polyakov posted:

Revan opening set of scenarios gives you north of 300 if you ahvent done them, i think hutt cartel does as well but i cant remember.

I haven't on this character yet, figure I'd crank up on a tank and get my rear end through those things. The only major things I have left is 13 HMs, and story mode ops.

Rest is minor bs, the stronghold item, one more crew skill, couple more classes to 50.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

dreffen posted:

So what's the fastest way to gear yourself up for HM instances? I'd kinda let my republic side slack and as the time is getting closer I realize I need to crank on that to get those specific ones done. Would it just be do story, get data crystals, and dump it all into the 200/208/whatever it is gear?

Right now the best way to get gear is Story Mode raiding. You get bolstered to 65 gear level no matter what you're wearing and optimized gear drops from there. Crystal gear is generally crap. With the new expansion coming I wouldn't worry about gear too much. Really i would recommend grinding PvP over the next week to get enough comms for at least the 6 pieces of 208 set bonus gear. That will be your best bolstered gear when 5.0 drops compared to crystal gear.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Apparently Collections unlocks are 50% off right now. Go go go.

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

I think, therefore I am inevitable.

Medullah posted:

Apparently Collections unlocks are 50% off right now. Go go go.

:monocle:

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Curious, when or for what spec does someone use a companion in tank mode? I leveled most of my characters with their companion in heal mode, its brainless if a bit slow. I know if you level up the companion's influence or are well geared you can run in DPS mode. I did that for my healing smuggler run and still had no downtime. But tank mode seems really slow. Maybe if you are the assassin/shadow with backstab abilities? Or for a group flashpoint if you are down a person?

I'm usually well undergeared so that effects my choices, I think my smuggler went from a level 20 weapon to a level 55 legacy weapon from SoR during my latest sprint to 65.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

bagrada posted:

Curious, when or for what spec does someone use a companion in tank mode? I leveled most of my characters with their companion in heal mode, its brainless if a bit slow. I know if you level up the companion's influence or are well geared you can run in DPS mode. I did that for my healing smuggler run and still had no downtime. But tank mode seems really slow. Maybe if you are the assassin/shadow with backstab abilities? Or for a group flashpoint if you are down a person?

I'm usually well undergeared so that effects my choices, I think my smuggler went from a level 20 weapon to a level 55 legacy weapon from SoR during my latest sprint to 65.

I used it for my agent levelling when i had backstab, tbh tank spec doesnt do that much less damage than DPS in my experience with companions.

• Locked thread