Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Big Mean Jerk posted:

What we're all overlooking here are the three deflector dishes, because god help you if stellar particles hit one of your 32 warp nacelles.

The_Doctor posted:

I'm looking at the front and back shuttlebays. Maybe they're connected and it's just one huge hangerbay/shuttlecraft carrier?

This is the ship that MOAR was based off of:

The Federation-class dreadnought, which appeared in the old 1975 Star Fleet Technical Manual by Franz Joseph.

As you can see, there was no rear hangar door, and the big dish was considered a 'Main Sensor' which had a twin in the rear. Joseph's plans for the Enterprise showed the big dish as a combination sensor/deflector dish, but on the Federation-class I guess he decided to split them out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

The_Doctor posted:

I'm looking at the front and back shuttlebays. Maybe they're connected and it's just one huge hangerbay/shuttlecraft carrier?

I was referring to the three circles on the engineering hull, but I hadn't even noticed the forward facing shuttlebay and now I'm even more confused.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Sounds like someone in Engineering has been watching BSG and thought having Vipers coming in hot was :krad:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Oh weird, I just assumed there was a rear shuttlebay like on the 1701. That feels like a big 'fire here' weak spot, like the Stargazer's shuttlebay.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Clickhole has posted "An Oral History of Star Trek." Pretty informative.

http://www.clickhole.com/article/oral-history-star-trek-5174

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Wikipedia Brown posted:

THis is loving killing me and I'm at work and I'm hurting my self trying not to laugh.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Gonna swerve back to starship chat for a second.

Has anyone else felt that the starships of Trek have always had this sort of special significance to the show that's unique among SF franchises? I mean, when I was a little kid, it was the ships that got me into Trek. I spent literal years imagining my own ships through drawing, Legos, and video games, and I spent more time than a sane child should looking at places like the Daystrom Institute Technical Library and Bernd Schneider's site. Even back in the '80s, when the TOS movies were coming out, people were publishing actual books that discuss starships with the rigorousness most people would use to discuss WWII surface fleets. Star Wars has done similar stuff, true, but it's never felt the same to me, like all the technology and statistics are just meaningless, even though Trek's statistics are also frivolous. I suppose what I'm getting at is that Trek's ships have always felt like they had a place and a history to me, that they are unique environments but are also part of something greater, both in terms of being part of a fleet and part of a fictional history. It's something you really started to feel more with TNG, when we began to see the world outside the Enterprise and watch ships and crews that were just as important in their own way as Kirk and Picard. This may ultimately be one of the main reasons I've never liked the reboot; to Abrams, the Enterprise is just a big truck the characters ride around in. If it gets blown up, who cares?

I do wonder where Trek gets this feature from. My own guess is that TOS is something that was grown out of WWII American military culture, particularly Gene's air career and the way American pilots identified with their planes. Just look at the fight he had with Harve Bennett over destroying the Enterprise in STIII; Gene flew planes in WWII, and took the idea of losing one personally, while Bennett flew choppers in Korea and had the attitude that starships were basically interchangeable.

Apple Jax
May 19, 2008

IDIC 4 LYF

Wikipedia Brown posted:

Hahahaha this is amazing.

I had no idea TOS was full of mummies and coyotes.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Star Trek: I miss my old, concise nipple.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
People don’t love Star Trek just because it’s got wacky aliens. They love it because the wacky aliens bonk each other with goofed-up widgets while a bunch of dunces in matching pajamas yammer on and on as their doors whoosh back and forth, all to make some Dr. Seuss-type point.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Tsaedje posted:

People don’t love Star Trek just because it’s got wacky aliens. They love it because the wacky aliens bonk each other with goofed-up widgets while a bunch of dunces in matching pajamas yammer on and on as their doors whoosh back and forth, all to make some Dr. Seuss-type point.

It's true

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

There's been an update to the Stage9 project. I messed around with it earlier and the creator hid some neat little easter eggs in it. There's nothing to really do except wander around in some very nicely done sets. It's still loaded with bugs, but the guy working on this has said he's hooked up with more people, and would like to recreate some of the more elaborate Ent-D parts that we never got to see on the show.

I took some screenshots, they came out crappy and I forgot to take one of the main bridge in its entirety. :doh:

Album

If you just want to watch the guy talking about this and going through the maps, watch this (turn your volume down):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5O_h9zOd098

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Tsaedje posted:

You know, you really can't argue with that.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'd kill for a rad star trek game where you're like a ship's crew and get to walk around inside the ship running stuff and doing missions.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Baronjutter posted:

I'd kill for a rad star trek game where you're like a ship's crew and get to walk around inside the ship running stuff and doing missions.

"Take these PADDs to decks 3, 16 and 29."

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The_Doctor posted:

*hold ctrl and dash forward to roll under engineering blast door* (only available to laforge character)

Actually just a lovely crew simulator would be fun. Get the stanley parable guy to make it, base it off some blue stripe poo poo.
http://www.somethingawful.com/news/blue-stripe-life-4/

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

Crawl into that Jefferies tube and wave this tool over that conduit for 3 hours.

Congratulations! You have successfully repaired the secondary EPS transfer on deck 29! Auxiliary food replicator control has been restored!
[TIP]Find the nearest crew lounge and reward yourself with a drink.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Ugh, this is not for me. You should take to Commander LaForge in Engineering.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MissAnthropic posted:

Does that count as bun up Janeway and hair down Janeway? I don't think it does but I can't immerse myself in this erotic fantasy without knowing who I'm dealing with.

It counts as whatever you want it to count as.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
You're not authorized to use the tricorder yet.

You're not authorized to set your phaser above stun.

You're not authorized to use the express turbolift to the battle bridge.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Looks like you're new here. Don't worry, I was new on this once too. Let me show you how to do extremely basic things for the next 30 minutes.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Phimosissy posted:

Think of how much unlocking DLC you could have, The Warhammer people would weep with greed

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Nebakenezzer posted:

Think of how much unlocking DLC you could have, The Warhammer people would weep with greed

Squeenix are touching themselves.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Hyperriker posted:

Has this shown up here yet?

Because oh my god

amarillo design bureau dot jay-peg

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Complete this duty roster update and take it to Lt. Worf.

[TIP]: Try not to make him angry.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Delsaber posted:

Complete this duty roster update and take it to Lt. Worf.

[TIP]: Try not to make him angry.
code:
Just happy to serve, sir __ ____ __Thank you sir
                           /    \
                          /      \_Do you need anything further? 
                          \      /
   No, YOU have no honor! _\____/__I hope this was worth in-person delivery

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Phimosissy posted:

That's the worst Star Trek sim ever. Everyone knows literally anyone is allowed everywhere on the ship and use any piece of equipment at all with no oversight.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

Mental Hospitality posted:

There's been an update to the Stage9 project. I messed around with it earlier and the creator hid some neat little easter eggs in it. There's nothing to really do except wander around in some very nicely done sets. It's still loaded with bugs, but the guy working on this has said he's hooked up with more people, and would like to recreate some of the more elaborate Ent-D parts that we never got to see on the show.

I took some screenshots, they came out crappy and I forgot to take one of the main bridge in its entirety. :doh:

Album

If you just want to watch the guy talking about this and going through the maps, watch this (turn your volume down):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5O_h9zOd098

Can you explore the room where Troi and Crusher do stretches? Asking for a friend.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

You have to furiously mash left and right so you stagger correctly when the ship is under attack.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

If they'd made TNG today, Mr Woof would be way too into FUTURE CROSSFIT and flinging tires from mining trucks at Riker

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Tears In A Vial posted:

Can you explore the room where Troi and Crusher do stretches? Asking for a friend.

It's missing the mirrors.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Michelle Yeoh seems to be the first name attached to Discovery, but this still needs an official confirmation, at least regarding her exact role.

http://www.comingsoon.net/tv/news/788489-michelle-yeoh-star-trek-discovery

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

I both love and was understandably confused when the painting in Worf's room changes, just like in that episode.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Nov 23, 2016

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Tears In A Vial posted:

You mean 'hallway with a mirror in it'?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Stage9 guy and the Enterprise3D guy really need to merge.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

MikeJF posted:

The Stage9 guy and the Enterprise3D guy really need to merge.

Enterprise3d guy has been pretty silent for a while, I think he was getting poo poo from CBS but I've read he's still working on his project. Stage9 guy said on Reddit (I believe) that he reached out to E3D guy but got no response.

I'm impressed with just how well the Stage9 stuff runs on my laptop (it is pretty beefy with a 970m) and how good it looks. That Unreal4 engine is pretty good stuff.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Nov 23, 2016

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Delsaber posted:

Michelle Yeoh seems to be the first name attached to Discovery, but this still needs an official confirmation, at least regarding her exact role.

http://www.comingsoon.net/tv/news/788489-michelle-yeoh-star-trek-discovery
I agree that she could very well be the lead

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

A Star Trek game where you are an Ensign straight from the academy and have to find tasks to do or pretend to do so around the ship you don't get sent down on an away mission where you will inevitably die. Your goal is to become vital enough to the running of the ship or the bridge's officers themselves that you don't get drummed out of Starfleet.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

MikeJF posted:

You mean 'hallway with a mirror in it'?
Um, that's clearly a hallway with two mirrors in it, facing each other.

Enterprise3d guy has been pretty silent for a while, I think he was getting poo poo from CBS but I've read he's still working on his project. Stage9 guy said on Reddit (I believe) that he reached out to E3D guy but got no response.
Yeah he got cease and desisted. Hopefully he's still working on it in private and it'll get "stolen" and leaked when it's done.

Edit: Found it, Star Trek Busywork Simulator design inspiration

Knormal fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Nov 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Pwnstar posted:

A Star Trek game where you are an Ensign straight from the academy and have to find tasks to do or pretend to do so around the ship you don't get sent down on an away mission where you will inevitably die. Your goal is to become vital enough to the running of the ship or the bridge's officers themselves that you don't get drummed out of Starfleet.

And that game was called--Star Trek Discovery. :allears: