Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

free midis online posted:

They haven't done enough to address cost of living though, you have to be fairly wealthy to live in any of the cities and the solution to homelessness has often been to punish homeless people in the hopes it'll either force them out or make them magically pull up enough income to pay rent. Maybe it's ignorance on my part, I've never really lived there, but California's got a bad reputation and the Democrats have been lovely enough elsewhere to make me believe it

As long as urban creative professionals are doing well, diversity is celebrated, and social issues are going left that's all the party cares about. Anything else happens to "those people", aka the working class... and they are bad and not a liberal problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Gringostar posted:

people in blue states are generally happy though so why would politicians want to gently caress that up and risk getting tossed?

i'm not trying to be an rear end in a top hat btw, most people in CA are happy with their politicians and none of them ran on fixing prop 13 or strengthening unions (if anything most people hate unions here because of the prison guard one) but I'm 100% on board with supporting ones that actually propose those things

Nobody in Illinois is happy, and in almost every meaningful way it's a blue state.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Karl Sharks posted:

idg why stronger together is so terrible?

Because there's no call to action or anything.

People know that it's good to be strong, but that's a means to an end. Right now when people are worried about the direction of the country they don't want to hear about how fast we're gonna be moving.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

Nobody in Illinois is happy, and in almost every meaningful way it's a blue state.

Plenty of honkeys fled Chicago for the suburbs and they're happy

gently caress them tho

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Because there's no call to action or anything.

People know that it's good to be strong, but that's a means to an end. Right now when people are worried about the direction of the country they don't want to hear about how fast we're gonna be moving.

to me it means if we come together we can tackle any problem, not just jobs

e: not to say its the best slogan, but i guess i remember it getting flack but never really understood that

Karl Sharks has issued a correction as of 22:40 on Nov 22, 2016

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

Lemming posted:

http://www.ppic.org/main/publication_show.asp?i=261

California's economy is 2.5 trillion dollars and 16% of people are in poverty. Millions of people still don't have health insurance. Rent and housing is out of control in many places. This should all be utterly unacceptable and is totally within our power to manage.

I think the key here is that California Democrats are liberal on social issues and are willing to accept somewhat higher taxes (especially if they only apply to people richer than themselves) to resolve some aspects of economic disparity. What they (and most others) will NOT accept is anything that they perceive as negatively affecting their own quality of life or the life of their children, even if it's for the greater good.

The latter include any repeal of Prop 13 (will drastically increase property taxes and/or lower housing value), attempts to increase housing density (will put more pressure on neighborhood public services and might make schools *gasp* more diverse), attempts to reform healthcare (single payer may result in a decrease in care quality for those who currently have good employer-sponsored health insurance), etc.

If the California democratic party starts pushing realistic solutions to any of the profound economic disparity issues facing the state, the backlash will flip California red. And the CA dems know this, so they will never do something this drastic.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

loquacius posted:

Does this include Peter Thiel

most definitely yes

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Karl Sharks posted:

Stronger together is absolute poo poo. One: It's an already existing pro-establishment British slogan. Two: It's basically "Sit down, shut up, and do what you're told" in nicer terms, at least the way I've seen used. Third: I don't see anything actually good about it. It doesn't really have any emotional hook does it? Fourth: It doesn't exactly ring true in this age of partisan politics where "working together" mostly seems to mean letting the other guy have whatever he wants in the interest of avoiding conflict. Five: Even in a two word slogan it manages to hedge and limit itself to relative rather than absolute comparisons. Sixth: It's the slogan of Hillary and the establishment that lost this election and thus already tainted. If we're going to keep using already existing D slogans, why not go back to the significantly better Hope and Change? God knows we'll need it after multiple years of Trump, someone we don't really want to be stronger together with...

It's a lot better than I'm With Her, but that's not saying much. It's biggest problem is that's it not saying much, really. "I Like Ike" has more meat on it's bones than "Better Together"

Serf posted:

Okay, so I'm gonna have lunch with my district's Chairman after Thanksgiving. Dunno what I'm gonna be doing yet, but there are other people interested in getting Democratic Party stuff going on in my county so hell yeah.

Glad it's working out for you, hopefully you keep us up to date.

Aurubin posted:

Is Building a Better America a good slogan? Trying to brainstorm potential taglines. Goddamn I'm With Her was terrible.

Be ambitious! "Building the Best America"

Even then, you really want something more active and forceful, "Building" is so passive.

Hmm, how about "Make America the Best". We're getting closer, now! Let's throw in a bit of nostalgia, help people feel it's possible by reminding them of all their rosey memories from the past. "Make America the Best... Again!"

I think we might have a winner.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Karl Sharks posted:

Everything Hillary touched turned to poo poo.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

bernie good

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

sincx posted:

I think the key here is that California Democrats are liberal on social issues and are willing to accept somewhat higher taxes (especially if they only apply to people richer than themselves) to resolve some aspects of economic disparity. What they (and most others) will NOT accept is anything that they perceive as negatively affecting their own quality of life or the life of their children, even if it's for the greater good.

The latter include any repeal of Prop 13 (will drastically increase property taxes and/or lower housing value), attempts to increase housing density (will put more pressure on neighborhood public services and might make schools *gasp* more diverse), attempts to reform healthcare (single payer may result in a decrease in care quality for those who currently have good employer-sponsored health insurance), etc.

If the California democratic party starts pushing realistic solutions to any of the profound economic disparity issues facing the state, the backlash will flip California red. And the CA dems know this, so they will never do something this drastic.

Bullshit. If you improve peoples' lives and give them a reason to show up and vote, they will. You can do these things without hurting the middle class. This cowardly idea is just a smokescreen that lets people justify not making any effort whatsoever to do anything good for anybody.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

GlyphGryph posted:

Stronger together is absolute poo poo. One: It's an already existing pro-establishment British slogan. Two: It's basically "Sit down, shut up, and do what you're told" in nicer terms, at least the way I've seen used. Third: I don't see anything actually good about it. It doesn't really have any emotional hook does it? Fourth: It doesn't exactly ring true in this age of partisan politics where "working together" mostly seems to mean letting the other guy have whatever he wants in the interest of avoiding conflict. Five: Even in a two word slogan it manages to hedge and limit itself to relative rather than absolute comparisons. Sixth: It's the slogan of Hillary and the establishment that lost this election and thus already tainted. If we're going to keep using already existing D slogans, why not go back to the significantly better Hope and Change? God knows we'll need it after multiple years of Trump, someone we don't really want to be stronger together with...

i didnt meant to keep using it, that would be dumb, i was just curious about why it was supposed to be awful

but lol at all of your points, god you are something else, keep on doing you i guess

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

bump_fn posted:

Plenty of honkeys fled Chicago for the suburbs and they're happy

gently caress them tho

Most Honkeys are coming back to the city though, and I don't even think they're happy. The city isn't the revenue generator it once was- something you can see in how little Rahm is able to keep the machine happy.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Lemming posted:

Bullshit. If you improve peoples' lives and give them a reason to show up and vote, they will. You can do these things without hurting the middle class. This cowardly idea is just a smokescreen that lets people justify not making any effort whatsoever to do anything good for anybody.

repealing prop 13, or even amending it will absolutely hurt the middle class most of whom are only middle class because of how much their house is worth

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I like:
Fighting for all of us!

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Gringostar posted:

repealing prop 13, or even amending it will absolutely hurt the middle class most of whom are only middle class because of how much their house is worth

lol California is hosed

"The Quake"* is months away, and Trump will be president.

*The entire ring of fire is exploding, Cali is next.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Karl Sharks posted:

i didnt meant to keep using it, that would be dumb, i was just curious about why it was supposed to be awful

but lol at all of your points, god you are something else, keep on doing you i guess

Stronger together is just lame. Almost as lame as brainstorming slogans before we even have any idea what the political landscape will look like a year from now.

Serf
May 5, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

Glad it's working out for you, hopefully you keep us up to date.

Thanks for the help! I'll keep the thread posted on how things go down here in Georgia.

Lemming posted:

Exactly this. Whip out that wealth inequality chart, point to the exact highest spot on it and go "these motherfuckers right here gotta go"

Here's my slogan: Take Our Billions Back

alternatively: Give Us Back Our Billions

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

A good slogan would be shooting a bound and gagged tech billionaire in the head at the start of every speech. Like Huey Long used to do.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Nonsense posted:

lol California is hosed

"The Quake"* is months away, and Trump will be president.

*The entire ring of fire is exploding, Cali is next.

funny enough, a huge quake would probably be the one thing that could provide the imputes to fix prop 13 since all those middle class homeowners are leveraged to the hilt with second and third mortgages and couldn't rebuild and they would lose their nest egg

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Karl Sharks posted:

It's not awful, it's just not good. And you can't deny that introduced at the point it was, where the party was desperate to get people to coalesce behind Hillary and being pushed by the same people that blame Bernie for her loss that it isn't unreasonable to feel like there was an element of "fall in line" to it. No slogan is going to be perfect, the fact that I can list a bunch of problems with them doesn't mean it's actually bad - but it doesn't mean those problems are irrelevant either.

quote:

I'm legit interested in what your problem is with them. You asked what was bad about it, I listed some reasons people might find it bad, one or two of which I feel personally, others I've seen expressed by other people. Personally I fall more on the "It's bad because its really weak" reasons, but I do know a few Bernie folk who felt it was intended as a slight so...

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Gringostar posted:

Wow, prop 13 is the only thing you can do to increase revenue, that's really so awful. Guess we should pack it in, all progress is impossible

I'm going to come to the table with this

and then negotiate the blood sacrifice down to a pint

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Lemming posted:

http://www.ppic.org/main/publication_show.asp?i=261

California's economy is 2.5 trillion dollars and 16% of people are in poverty. Millions of people still don't have health insurance. Rent and housing is out of control in many places. This should all be utterly unacceptable and is totally within our power to manage.

free midis online posted:

They haven't done enough to address cost of living though, you have to be fairly wealthy to live in any of the cities and the solution to homelessness has often been to punish homeless people in the hopes it'll either force them out or make them magically pull up enough income to pay rent. Maybe it's ignorance on my part, I've never really lived there, but California's got a bad reputation and the Democrats have been lovely enough elsewhere to make me believe it

Minimum wage was increased and will give 43% of Californians a raise. Los Angeles passed Measure HHH to give 1.2 billion to homeless housing and services. I'm unsure what SF is doing in this regard. Again, minimum wage increase and local governments beginning to address the housing shortage and cost of living. They also recently repealed a welfare reform law that refused to pay single mothers of multiple children more per month.

Furthermore the state and cities are continuing to improve transportation infrastructure with practically no help from the federal government (which is practically unheard of in US history) and attempt to maintain the best public university system in the country to power the economy.

California could absolutely be better but they don't even have the votes to repeal prop 13 yet (and when/if they do they'd likely start with raising the property taxes on commercial properties, rather than residential), urban density is increasing and starting to be addressed in Los Angeles (which I know more about than other counties). California is one of the most well-run states in the union and is continually improving even through severe drought and economic headwinds with virtually no help from the feds. Things could be better though, not disagreeing.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Gringostar posted:

funny enough, a huge quake would probably be the one thing that could provide the imputes to fix prop 13 since all those middle class homeowners are leveraged to the hilt with second and third mortgages and couldn't rebuild and they would lose their nest egg

At the same time you did mention that most of California's middle-class depend on those houses. :suicide:

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Nonsense posted:

At the same time you did mention that most of California's middle-class depend on those houses. :suicide:

it's almost like CA's middle class was built as a house of cards

a house of cards on a literal fault line

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

GlyphGryph posted:

It's not awful, it's just not good. And you can't deny that introduced at the point it was, where the party was desperate to get people to coalesce behind Hillary and being pushed by the same people that blame Bernie for her loss that it isn't unreasonable to feel like there was an element of "fall in line" to it. No slogan is going to be perfect, the fact that I can list a bunch of problems with them doesn't mean it's actually bad - but it doesn't mean those problems are irrelevant either.

I'm legit interested in what your problem is with them. You asked what was bad about it, I listed some reasons people might find it bad, one or two of which I feel personally, others I've seen expressed by other people.

quote:

One: It's an already existing pro-establishment British slogan. Two: It's basically "Sit down, shut up, and do what you're told" in nicer terms, at least the way I've seen used. Third: I don't see anything actually good about it. It doesn't really have any emotional hook does it? Fourth: It doesn't exactly ring true in this age of partisan politics where "working together" mostly seems to mean letting the other guy have whatever he wants in the interest of avoiding conflict.

1) who the gently caress knows that? it's like saying MAGA is reminiscent of american fascist slogans
2) think you're projecting very hard there
3) being strong and together feels emotional to me? i mean how does that not cause emotions but MAGA does?
4) it never says we need to work with every american, i take it as liberals and progressives coming together because we can beat them, why the hell would you think Hillary Rodham Clinton cares one iota about working with the GOP?? who the hell thinks that?

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

Most Honkeys are coming back to the city though, and I don't even think they're happy. The city isn't the revenue generator it once was- something you can see in how little Rahm is able to keep the machine happy.

I was being facetious

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Serf posted:

Thanks for the help! I'll keep the thread posted on how things go down here in Georgia.

Exactly this. Whip out that wealth inequality chart, point to the exact highest spot on it and go "these motherfuckers right here gotta go"

Here's my slogan: Take Our Billions Back

alternatively: Give Us Back Our Billions

H&R Block is already using this for their ad campaign about getting a big tax return

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Lemming posted:

Wow, prop 13 is the only thing you can do to increase revenue, that's really so awful. Guess we should pack it in, all progress is impossible

I'm going to come to the table with this

and then negotiate the blood sacrifice down to a pint

Prop 55 passed which kept the increased taxes on people making over $500k dude

raising taxes on the rich is something CA has done and will continue to do, but until prop 13 is fixed there are a lot of things that will still be hosed is the issue

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Return Power to People

TAX FREEZE

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

Grey Fox posted:

Return Power to People

eat the rich

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Karl Sharks posted:

1) who the gently caress knows that? it's like saying MAGA is reminiscent of american fascist slogans
2) think you're projecting very hard there
3) being strong and together feels emotional to me? i mean how does that not cause emotions but MAGA does?
4) it never says we need to work with every american, i take it as liberals and progressives coming together because we can beat them, why the hell would you think Hillary Rodham Clinton cares one iota about working with the GOP?? who the hell thinks that?

I think you're taking my list the wrong way, as more of an absolutist denial rather than as a list of "problems I see, big and small, with the slogan".

(1) is definitely true of me, personally. That was a personal one, haha. I can't help but associate it with assholes from England. It doesn't really matter how widespread it is, it's still a bad thing. Good slogans will probably have reasons they are bad, too, it's about weighing the good vs the bad.

(2) I don't feel that way personally. I know people who do, though, and I can understand how it could come across that way. Can't you? I'm not asking for much except a bit of empathy here.

(3) MAGA pulls on fond memories and hopes for the future, appeals to bravado and goes right for GREATNESS of which you are part. "Stronger Together"... does not.

(4) Of course it doesn't, but again, context: The Democrats have rightly been criticized for trying to govern "together" with the Republicans and losing poo poo instead of fighting, so a message about unity... (also, Obama clearly did, and Hillary said she was going to be Obama so why wouldn't she?)

Serf
May 5, 2011

instead of a slogan we should just use a picture of a guillotine

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Gringostar posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rhBdWojLe0

Rising property values ended up being matched with rising debts on lended mortgages, which means as soon as there's a property bubble pop in California all those "middle class" people will go into negative equity and have their properties foreclosed on

http://www.cnbc.com/foreclosures/

There's a new wave of foreclosures & mortgage rate increases going on right now, because banks and landlords are expecting the Trump administration not to do anything about it. Of course, people have still been having their homes illegally foreclosed on all throughout the Obama years, but it was kept much more low-key after the Robosigning scandal.

nopants
May 29, 2004
Eat the rich.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

GlyphGryph posted:

I think you're taking my list the wrong way, as more of an absolutist denial rather than as a list of "problems I see, big and small, with the slogan".

(1) is definitely true of me, personally. That was a personal one, haha. I can't help but associate it with assholes from England. It doesn't really matter how widespread it is, it's still a bad thing. Good slogans will probably have reasons they are bad, too, it's about weighing the good vs the bad.

(2) I don't feel that way personally. I know people who do, though, and I can understand how it could come across that way. Can't you? I'm not asking for much except a bit of empathy here.

(3) MAGA pulls on fond memories and hopes for the future, appeals to bravado and goes right for GREATNESS of which you are part. "Stronger Together"... does not.

(4) Of course it doesn't, but again, context: The Democrats have rightly been criticized for trying to govern "together" with the Republicans and losing poo poo instead of fighting, so a message about unity... (also, Obama clearly did, and Hillary said she was going to be Obama so why wouldn't she?)

1)okay, that's fair i see what you mean now

2) yeah, and in context of what you meant behind the post it's less important because you're basically trying to find whatever you can wrong with it

3) you could say the same about being STRONGER which means we're already STRONG whereas being GREAT AGAIN means we're not great now and are possibly poo poo actually; and how does "together" not give you the sense of being a part of it? it's literally saying "we need everyone so we can do this, yes you too" whereas make america great again doesn't say who is going to do it, just that it'll be done somehow

4) except when obama gave her the sec state job, he asked for her advice and she said don't give the fuckers an inch, and he admitted to regretting not listening to her at the time

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

AngryBooch posted:

California could absolutely be better but they don't even have the votes to repeal prop 13 yet (and when/if they do they'd likely start with raising the property taxes on commercial properties, rather than residential), urban density is increasing and starting to be addressed in Los Angeles (which I know more about than other counties). California is one of the most well-run states in the union and is continually improving even through severe drought and economic headwinds with virtually no help from the feds. Things could be better though, not disagreeing.

My point is that tepid progress while millions of people are suffering isn't enough. I'm not comparing it to other states, I'm comparing it to what it could be. The problem with the Democrats is they "push" (lol) for things to be slightly better than they are and then compromise down with the Republicans to making things only somewhat worse. They need to be pushing hard for things to be much better.

Gringostar posted:

Prop 55 passed which kept the increased taxes on people making over $500k dude

raising taxes on the rich is something CA has done and will continue to do, but until prop 13 is fixed there are a lot of things that will still be hosed is the issue

What's your point here, dude? Things are clearly not good enough for millions of people. They're suffering and dying. Tepid progress is better than nothing, but unless your argument here is "these things that are happening are enough and we shouldn't do anything more" I don't know point you're trying to make.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The root cause of all these problems is capitalism, fundamentally. So if the Democratic party is going to try and win back the working class, it needs to be ambitious enough to push a New New Deal if they want to save it and themselves. Incremental improvements in microtargeted interests aren't going to cut it. If Democrats can't quit couching everything in terms of what's realistic, then the choice will be either socialism or barbarism.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Lemming posted:

What's your point here, dude? Things are clearly not good enough for millions of people. They're suffering and dying. Tepid progress is better than nothing, but unless your argument here is "these things that are happening are enough and we shouldn't do anything more" I don't know point you're trying to make.

i'm not disagreeing with you that incremental progress isn't enough, poo poo man i want more change and for things to actually get fixed long term

the issue is that without a huge grassroots movement of young voters that will show up to every election you're not going to change poo poo because people that are protected by things like prop 13 don't want that poo poo to change and will resist changing it to the death

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

It's not enough to just show up and vote, the leadership has to be primaried out of contention. The problem with the Democratic party is ideological, and pushing turnout for the same corrupt machine Democrats isn't going to change anything.

• Locked thread