Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Gringostar posted:

:lol: Fishmech gona fishmech.

not really. "things don't matter" is what people trapped in their own bubble yell when things don't turn out like they expect. it's a pretty empty statement

quote:

They were already sunk, or did you miss the part where Walker campaigned on loving unions and won?

Again:

again:

quote:

edit: gringostar, why have you been peddling bullshit?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/michael-klonsky-phd/president-obama-where-are_b_827511.html

quote:

“There’s a bully pulpit there that the president has, and it needs to be used, I don’t think you can turn the cheek on this one.” — Rep. Raul Grijalva (D., Ariz.), a co-chairman of the House Progressive Caucus.

Forbes is calling this “the final battle in the war against unions.” It is no longer just a Wisconsin battle, but a national one. However, it appears that President Obama has chosen to remain on the sidelines, politically triangulating but saying little Thursday’s Wall Street Journal reports:

“President Barack Obama, after initially lending his support to organized labor, has stepped back from the fights spreading in state capitals from Wisconsin to Tennessee, leaving union officials divided about his tactics.’”

Teacher unions in particular are currently resisting a nationally coordinated attack by a group of Republican and Tea Party governors who are backed up by conservative billionaires like the Koch brothers. They’ve made it clear that no compromise is possible and that they want nothing less than the end of unions and collective bargaining. Teachers and thousands of other union members are hitting the streets this week in state capitals across the country, hoping that the protests that began in Madison, Wisconsin (or was it in Cairo’s Tahrir Square?) will have national consequences.

With 75,000 Wisconsin workers surrounding the state capitol last week, the president cautiously expressed concern. He told TV station WTMU in Milwaukee:

“Some of what I’ve heard coming out of Wisconsin where you’re just making it harder for collective bargaining, generally seems like more of an assault on unions.”

On February 16, Education Secretary Arne Duncan echoed Obama’s tepid support for teachers,

“Governors across the country are facing, you know, tough budget issues — as the president is here — but we have to support our hardworking teachers and make sure that we do everything we can to help them do the critically important work they do every single day in the classroom,” Duncan said. He called for compromise on both sides.

“Teachers unions have to move, management has to move, school boards have to move, our Department of Education has to move,” said Duncan initially. But after the union concessions were rejected out of hand by Wisconsin’s Governor Walker, Duncan, like the President, went into a shell.

Even as 14 of his own party’s state legislators were risking arrest by leaving the state and boycotting the vote on the union-busting bill, the President and top Democratic party leaders remained silent.

President Obama came to Ohio this week, where thousands of union workers were protesting Governor John Kasich’s union-busting legislation. In Cleveland, Obama gave a long speech about helping business and encouraging “innovation,” but said not a word about the big protest demonstrations that were going on over in Columbus at the same time.

dems were begging president obama to get more involved, and he ducked the fight.

you really didn't learn anything from your hillary permatoxx did you?

Condiv fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Nov 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Farking Bastage posted:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/p...s-a7432421.html

The newly-enacted overtime rules are going to be one of the first on the chopping block. Good job voting yourselves a pay cut dumbasses!

This is seriously lovely, but I don't expect a lot of backlash. I think most people affected by this just had their hours cut so that they wouldn't go into overtime. That's a perk, sure, but it's not the same as a tangible change in pay. Add to that the lovely implementation in a lot of places (university I work for got a lot of grief from employees who had to switch over to hourly pay and start clocking in) and I think plenty of people will be mostly fine with losing this.

Joe-Bob
May 12, 2005

GO BIG RED
College Slice

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Spoiler: What is going to happen is that wage theft will still occur because employers know it will be repealed. They are DOL regulations, so they can do it on day 1 and employees are not going to risk their jobs over an extra $150 when they will be losing it anyway.

Absolutely, and it's not exactly easy to lawyer up against your boss when you're pulling down less than 40k. I just have to think that a reasonable portion of employers will follow the law and folks will notice their paychecks dropping in April or whenever they get around to revising the rules. Or, maybe this is like Obamacare and all repeals go into effect immediately after the next election.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Condiv posted:

an outpouring of public support bolstered by the president may have forced his hand. why are you pretending obama was toxic and couldn't help? oh yeah, you're trying to make excuses for him

And what happened, then? Well, in Wisconsonville they say - that Walkers small heart grew three sizes that day.

Stop living in a fairy tail. There was zero chance of Walker not gutting unions short of him losing his election no matter how many times Obama marched.

Gringostar fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Nov 22, 2016

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Business Gorillas posted:

i can still think the boomers are bad people but want to work with them for pursuing a common goal (better paying jobs and a more secure economic future)

Isn't this exactly what you are railing against? The Democrats not being sincere in wanting to work with working class people? Hint: People can tell when you are holding your nose to talk to them.

MountGeek
Apr 14, 2016

Seeing /pol/ on fire after Donald's refusal to prosecute Hillary and his interview with the New York Times where he disavowed much of the alt-right is amazing.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

MountGeek posted:

Seeing /pol/ on fire after Donald's refusal to prosecute Hillary and his interview with the New York Times where he disavowed much of the alt-right is amazing.

https://twitter.com/FoxNews/status/801155531138166784

you are late to the party. the witch trials are back on.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

MountGeek posted:

No one should assume they are Trump's friend. Anyone who isn't related to him by blood should expect a stab in the back whenever it is convenient.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Mr Hootington posted:

Read the actual title of the article: Conway says Trump won't pursue Clinton charges.

Trump said he wouldn't take it off the table, but then said "yeah, I don't want to do it. She suffered enough. She's a good person. Let it all go, people: this is so tiring."

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Covok posted:

Read the actual title of the article: Conway says Trump won't pursue Clinton charges.

Trump said he wouldn't take it off the table, but then said "yeah, I don't want to do it. She suffered enough. She's a good person. Let it all go, people: this is so tiring."

Click that link and check the current title of the article and get back to me.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Mr Hootington posted:

I hope they do press charges. She deserves to be exonerated in court.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Gringostar posted:

And what happened, then? Well, in Wisconsonville they say - that Walkers small heart grew three sizes that day.

Stop living in a fairy tail. There was zero chance of Walker not gutting unions short of him losing his election no matter how many times Obama marched.

:ironicat:

you've literally been writing alt-history fanfiction where obama was toxic the last couple of pages to make excuses for him

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
its disturbing that trump doesn't know/care the potus does not press charges, the AG does

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Covok posted:

See this is our new communications landscape. Trump who once said he was and once said he wasn't sarcastic when he said she was a co-founder of ISIS is now able to call her a good person. This will "play" for his base because of the way they receive his communications in this world.

Normal sloganieering and campaign narratives won't work anymore.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

boner confessor posted:

its disturbing that trump doesn't know/care the potus does not press charges, the AG does

That's really far down the list of stuff it's disturbing that Trump doesn't know/care about the presidency.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Condiv posted:

:ironicat:

you've literally been writing alt-history fanfiction where obama was toxic the last couple of pages to make excuses for him

no, i've been saying that him walking with protesters wouldn't have made a difference

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

boner confessor posted:

Honestly to me, the more disturbing part isn't his confusion there, but the fact he says the reason he doesn't want to prosecute her is because he doesn't feel like it. Not as much the rule of law as about his whims. That's scary.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Trabisnikof posted:

See this is our new communications landscape. Trump who once said he was and once said he wasn't sarcastic when he said she was a co-founder of ISIS is now able to call her a good person. This will "play" for his base because of the way they receive his communications in this world.

Normal sloganieering and campaign narratives won't work anymore.

Looking at the twitter list, it looks like some are like "No this is all a trick" while others are like "no, is it? I want to support him, but it looks like he's going back on his promise" while others go "No, this is all a play for the MSM, right?"

It might play to his base, but they are really backpeddling hard to not get mad.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Covok posted:

Looking at the twitter list, it looks like some are like "No this is all a trick" while others are like "no, is it? I want to support him, but it looks like he's going back on his promise" while others go "No, this is all a play for the MSM, right?"

It might play to his base, but they are really backpeddling hard to not get mad.

But Twitter is only the first filter. You're watching them crowdsource the most effective spin. By the time it drifts to most Trump supporters as Facebook memes in a few days, the spin will be well tested and honed against attack.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Ready for 4 years of being led by a President with untreated ADHD who can't make a single loving decision and stick to it

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

BarbarianElephant posted:

No one should assume they are Trump's friend. Anyone who isn't related to him by blood should expect a stab in the back whenever it is convenient.

Reminder (again): Trump literally closed his rallies by reciting the story of the Scorpion and the Frog

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

boner confessor posted:

I honestly don't think Trump knows what the president can and cannot do. Like he has no loving idea what powers he actually has and what powers he doesn't have.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I honestly have no idea what trump believes at this point, other than in himself. It's loving baffling.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Gringostar posted:

no, i've been saying that him walking with protesters wouldn't have made a difference

Gringostar posted:

Because he and democrats were toxic after republicans swept the 2010 election only a few months before hand.

...Obama actually marching with them had a huge potential to blow up in their faces...

i guess you can't even read your own posts

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

Reminder (again): Trump literally closed his rallies by reciting the story of the Scorpion and the Frog

His campaign theme was "You can't always get what you want."

Someone else said it first, but Tump negged America hard and now he's going to gently caress us.

Honestly be on the look out for Trump to use "the door technique" on us at some point.

MountGeek
Apr 14, 2016

Mr Hootington posted:

I am late to the party. But may I ask...

And if you haven't checked out /pol/ I would recommend. It is funny... while it lasts.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

disjoe posted:

Ready for 4 years of being led by a President with untreated ADHD who can't make a single loving decision and stick to it

Unfortunately this won't mean he's right half the time.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Trabisnikof posted:

But Twitter is only the first filter. You're watching them crowdsource the most effective spin. By the time it drifts to most Trump supporters as Facebook memes in a few days, the spin will be well tested and honed against attack.

I decided to get /r/HillaryForPrison and it is kind of a fight in the comments. Some go "no, he means the FBI and AG will do because he appoints them. See!? 53-D water polo!" and others go" omg, I got cucked! I got loving cucked!"

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Covok posted:

I decided to get /r/HillaryForPrison and it is kind of a fight in the comments. Some go "no, he means the FBI and AG will do because he appoints them. See!? 53-D water polo!" and others go" omg, I got cucked! I got loving cucked!"

I imagine any backlash will settle down to a helping of "oh no see he's just saying the FBI will do it, just wait" and "who cares she got owned and Trump is daddy"

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
http://www.slate.com/blogs/outward/2016/11/21/pat_mccrory_is_trying_to_steal_the_north_carolina_governorship.html

Have you guys talking about NC's governor trying to steal the election by yelling VOTER FRAUD as loud as he can until the state legislature declares him the new governor?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Trabisnikof posted:

I imagine any backlash will settle down to a helping of "oh no see he's just saying the FBI will do it, just wait" and "who cares she got owned and Trump is daddy"

Former is already happening, but latter is already being tried and dying hard under the screams of "Emailghazi killed people! she deserves prisons! Trump wtf?!!"

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Pop-o-Matic Trouble posted:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/outward/2016/11/21/pat_mccrory_is_trying_to_steal_the_north_carolina_governorship.html

Have you guys talking about NC's governor trying to steal the election by yelling VOTER FRAUD as loud as he can until the state legislature declares him the new governor?

I'm not sure if we have yet, but it is a loving shame. And he might get away with it too. Undoing fifty years of civil development in the process.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Trabisnikof posted:

I'm not sure if we have yet, but it is a loving shame. And he might get away with it too. Undoing fifty years of civil development in the process.

there was a dedicated thread to it either here or in c-spam, but i can't find it now. sucks too cause it was an interesting read

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

I think since you're the one making the claim you have to come up with evidence as to why you think these barbers trying to make a living are actually sexist bros.

E : At some point in the next 8 years we are going to have to get people to admit that no one liked their candidate

I liked my candidate. :colbert:

Less than I liked Obama, sure, but Somewhat Worse Obama is still just fine.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

it is a good idea to allow this to happen. no undesirable precedents would be set.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I liked my candidate. :colbert:

Less than I liked Obama, sure, but Somewhat Worse Obama is still just fine.

Yeah, I actually grudgingly liked Hillary by the end. Not perfect by any means, but I don't even think of it as a better of two evils. She was, if nothing else, probably the most prepared for the job of any candidate for president ever. :shrug:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Here's the worst part of the article to me:

quote:

McCrory can, and probably will, still ask for a statewide recount. But he must know that a recount will not close such a sizable gap. His real goal appears to be to delegitimize the results to such an extent that the state legislature—which holds a Republican supermajority—can step in and select him as the winner. North Carolina state law states that when “a contest arises out of the general election,” and that contest pertains “to the conduct or results of the election,” the legislature “shall determine which candidate received the highest number of votes” and “declare that candidate to be elected.” By alleging fraud, mishandling of ballots, and irregular vote-counting, McCrory is laying the groundwork for the legislature to proclaim that a “contest” has arisen as to “the conduct or results of the election.” At that point, it can step in, assert that McCrory received “the highest number” of legitimate votes, and “declare [him] to be elected.”

The best part? Under the law, the legislature’s decision is “not reviewable” by the courts. Republican legislators can simply step in, overturn the decision of the voters, and grant McCrory another term. The courts have no authority even to review the legality of their actions.

He's making baseless accusations, that Republicans themselves are rejecting, then will use those as an excuse to ignore the vote and crown him governor.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Monaghan posted:

I honestly have no idea what trump believes at this point, other than in himself. It's loving baffling.

That is the punchline. There is only two things he believes.

1. Donald Trump should have more money.
2. Donald Trump should have more attention.

That's it. There are no deep desires, beliefs or convictions driving him. He is pure id.

Think of him like a toddler and it all makes sense.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

boner confessor posted:

also keep in mind the only reason the new deal got off the ground was because it was hilariously racist and a ton of modern institutional inequality such as redlining is the direct result of 1920's era progressive policy on the federal level. like, the federal government invented the long term amortized mortgage, bringing homeownership to the american middle class (good) and then said "hey black people, jews, etc - you do not get these mortgages" (bad)

The argument of the neoliberal for why we cannot have what we want always boils down to. :We can't appeal to the white working class because they are all racist and want to burn the gays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Condiv posted:

i guess you can't even read your own posts

Nice selective quoting, especially when I said it only "had" the potential not that it "would" have happened when asking me about why he specifically didn't actually march

oh, and read my other posts where I made the argument that him walking with protesters wouldn't have done poo poo before that selective quoting

Gringostar posted:

Yes, I'm sure Scott "Koch sucker" Walker would have totally reversed course on that one if Obama got more involved in early 2011 after the democrats got absolutely smashed that November as a rebuke of Obama being elected.

Like do you not know what context is before you type things?

Gringostar posted:

(1) It would be received as a staged photo op
(2) The SS probably wouldn't even allow it
(3) Democrats were just routed a few months before hand and Obama's popularity was maybe at 50% at that time if he was lucky.
(4) You're a loving moron for thinking that Scott Walker wouldn't turbo gently caress unions faster if it also meant he could rub it in Obama's face.

So yes I do read my own posts, sorry you lack basic comprehension when it comes to reading them though.

• Locked thread