Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Suplex Liberace posted:

Yes im very much excited for that when and if it comes out.

There's also Horizon: Zero Dawn coming out in February 2017, which is science fiction but not the futuristic variety you probably want. I so want that game to be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

That does look cool but I only have a pc :(

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Just curious about you Dragon Age 2 is good people. How much did you pay for the game? I can see paying five dollars for it making it much easier to accept what a terrible game it is compared to paying release day sixty dollars or more.

Turbl
Nov 8, 2007

I like DA2, ME3 is easily my favorite game in the trilogy, I hate Geralt, and I love Sera. Come at me.

Although the only game I played at release was DA:I. I didn't play DA:O and DA2 until well after they were released, and similarly I didn't play through the ME trilogy until after the last DLC for 3 came out. So maybe I just didn't get burned as bad as some of you.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Trast posted:

Just curious about you Dragon Age 2 is good people. How much did you pay for the game? I can see paying five dollars for it making it much easier to accept what a terrible game it is compared to paying release day sixty dollars or more.

Release day on Steam, so full price.

And now you've reminded me that EA pulled DA 2 from Steam because of their silly spat with Valve over who gets a cut of the DLC monies. Of all the hills to die on, they picked DA 2 DLC. LoL.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Trast posted:

Just curious about you Dragon Age 2 is bad people. How many times did it gently caress you in the rear end? I can see complaining about a bad game for awhile after it comes out, but how long do you have to keep such a hateboner for such a bland game?

lol

Lurks Morington
Aug 7, 2016

by Smythe
The Witcher is neat because you're not actually an author insert superhero or whatever. Compared to the magic people you interact with, you're kind of a blue collar worker of the mystical universe. You get lots of instances where you're dismissed for being a stupid monster hunter or whatever. Rarely does the game beat you over the head with how you, the player or Geralt, are just the coolest and rather you are often forced into situations where you have to make a Sophie's choice and then hear how much of a dick you are.

There's also themes and like literary references and poo poo. Hated dragon age but spent way too much time with the Witcher.

I hope mass effect at least attempts to do something more nuanced than the bachelor meets jj Abrams Star Trek. Like, please authors scratch off AI's and hamfisted racial allegories from your list of sci fi tropes.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Trast posted:

I played it for free due to steam's game-sharing feature, probably a big factor in my enjoyment of a single playthrough.

I hope DA4 lets you play the previous three protagonists instead of an all new one but the first two get shoved into a plot closet at the end of the last one.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

Turbl posted:

I like DA2, ME3 is easily my favorite game in the trilogy, I hate Geralt, and I love Sera. Come at me.

Although the only game I played at release was DA:I. I didn't play DA:O and DA2 until well after they were released, and similarly I didn't play through the ME trilogy until after the last DLC for 3 came out. So maybe I just didn't get burned as bad as some of you.

I love Sera too. I was playin' a straightfaced, overwhelmed atheist mage and she got me to open up by playing pranks on my entourage.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Reclaimer posted:

I hope DA4 lets you play the previous three protagonists instead of an all new one but the first two get shoved into a plot closet at the end of the last one.

Hawke and the Inquisitor might show up in latter games, but they won't be playable. As for the Warden, I'd put money on them never actually appearing in-game. Trying to update a silent protagonist into something people would be even remotely happy with would be a nightmare.

I remember the poo poo-fit people pitched when they learned they wouldn't be able to customize Hawke.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Lurks Morington posted:

The Witcher is neat because you're not actually an author insert superhero or whatever
Aside from the whole "constant pheremone emissions compelling hot women into heat also you're sterile so they're like in DOUBLE heat" thing, aside from that, yeah

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Just curious about you Dragon Age 2 is bad people. How many times did it gently caress you in the rear end? I can see complaining about a bad game for awhile after it comes out, but how long do you have to keep such a hateboner for such a bland game?

lol

I was not sodomized in the butt by a Dragon Age game written by Chuck Tingle.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Trast posted:

Were you an adult before the year 2000? I can see thinking it's terrible/worrying about cost-benefit if your gaming history and budget were pretty limited.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Basic Chunnel posted:

Aside from the whole "constant pheremone emissions compelling hot women into heat also you're sterile so they're like in DOUBLE heat" thing, aside from that, yeah

in fairness the "sexual conquests" thing is mostly present in the first game

Lurks Morington
Aug 7, 2016

by Smythe

Basic Chunnel posted:

In the context of this discussion about space Jesus, and video game protagonists in general, it goes on to be at least slightly interesting. Granted the "bang all of these hot wiches" was kind of embarrassing, but there where points when main characters said things to the effect of "this isn't your story, you're just a bit player".

I'm just saying if you were against the game because of the marketing and premise, it does go on to be more interesting than dude bro bang chicks, save world

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Geralt is awesome but it really helps if you've read the novels. They're good in their own right, but they make the Witcher 3 amazing. I was amazed the first time I saw a screenshot of Ciri because it was exactly how I imagined her from the books.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

homullus posted:

Were you an adult before the year 2000? I can see thinking it's terrible/worrying about cost-benefit if your gaming history and budget were pretty limited.

I'm curious as to why my question seems to be getting on people's nerves. It's not unfair to say what you pay for something can have some influence on what you think of it.

As an example as much as I disliked the ending to ME3 I still got more than normal value out of what I paid due to multiplayer's replay-ability.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Trast posted:

I'm curious as to why my question seems to be getting on people's nerves. It's not unfair to say what you pay for something can have some influence on what you think of it.

As an example as much as I disliked the ending to ME3 I still got more than normal value out of what I paid due to multiplayer's replay-ability.

Because the question isn't about value, it's just another way of you telling people they're wrong for having their opinions.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
I recently beat Witcher 3 and all its DLC for the first time and all in all it's probably my favorite existing RPG period. It's also an incredibly unabashed and lovingly detailed masculine power fantasy.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Because the question isn't about value, it's just another way of you telling people they're wrong for having their opinions.

Not my intention. People are free to have an opinion about anything they want. That being said DA2 is still a bad game. You can still enjoy it for one dollar or sixty but it's still a bad game.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Trast posted:

Not my intention. People are free to have an opinion about anything they want. That being said DA2 is still a bad game. You can still enjoy it for one dollar or sixty but it's still a bad game.

If it wasn't your intention, then why'd you bother asking the question? Because the very very obvious answer to why some people like dragon age 2 is "People like different things, weird poo poo." Kind of like everything else in existence that people may or may not like.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

If it wasn't your intention, then why'd you bother asking the question? Because the very very obvious answer to why some people like dragon age 2 is "People like different things, weird poo poo." Kind of like everything else in existence that people may or may not like.

I'm not sure why you are getting so mad about it. Especially if you misunderstood where I was going with my question.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Trast posted:

It's definitely not worth full price release money and I can see why anyone who paid that much for it feels they got burned. I got it in a Steam sale pack, back when it was still on Steam, along with Origins and all the Origins DLC/Awakening for £25.00. So, yeah, I'm probably more inclined to be kind to it because I hella got my value out of that deal.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Welp shut down the Games forum there is no further need to discuss anything. Some people like a game, some don't. No point ever analyzing them.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Skippy McPants posted:

I remember the poo poo-fit people pitched when they learned they wouldn't be able to customize Hawke.
But you can :confused:

And to throw in my .02 DA2 isn't the worst game ever made, not by a long shot. It did some things right (rivalry system, faster combat, good characters) and some things wrong (pretty much everything else). I can see where people who read reviews and bought it at launch for full price would feel really ripped off - I got it used at GS for $10 and the guy working the counter threw in some kind of special edition because "nobody buys this anyway." However Bioware seemed to learn some lessons from this, and hopefully Mac Walters has also learned about his fuckups and will learn that collaborating and bouncing ideas off of other people isn't a bad thing.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Chomp8645 posted:

Welp shut down the Games forum there is no further need to discuss anything. Some people like a game, some don't. No point ever analyzing them.

"What is wrong with people who say they like DA2? My idea for how this unthinkable could come to pass is that perhaps they do not rate a game as "bad" if they feel they got their money's worth from it. I shall ask them whether they got it at a deep discount to resolve this otherwise unresolvable conundrum!" is analyzing people (and poorly), not games. Be careful with that rapier wit, Captain Sarcasm, lest you bring the whole forum crashing down around us!

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Suplex Liberace posted:

Why is ME the only AAA sci-fi rpg? I like rpgs but I don't like fantasy settings.

Deus Ex, Fallout.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

Skippy McPants posted:

Hawke and the Inquisitor might show up in latter games, but they won't be playable. As for the Warden, I'd put money on them never actually appearing in-game. Trying to update a silent protagonist into something people would be even remotely happy with would be a nightmare.

That and the Warden being variously Human King, Dwarf King, Elf Lord or wandering murderhobo depending on your choices can't help.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Skippy McPants posted:

Release day on Steam, so full price.

And now you've reminded me that EA pulled DA 2 from Steam because of their silly spat with Valve over who gets a cut of the DLC monies. Of all the hills to die on, they picked DA 2 DLC. LoL.

EA didnt pull it, Valve did for going against their new DLC rules. DA2 complete edition is available on Steam.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I'm fairly sure that at some point they explored having the Warden turn up in DA:I, but realised it wouldn't work and replaced them with Stroud/Alistair/Loghain.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

You can, but during development they were cagey about whether or not you'd be able to because they weren't sure they'd have time to add the feature. Folks was not pleased.

Point being, fans get rapid about having their former PCs perfectly match their personal specs and trying to do that with the Warden at this point would be super hard.

KoB posted:

EA didnt pull it, Valve did for going against their new DLC rules. DA2 complete edition is available on Steam.

Eh? No it isn't. Unless I've gone blind. DA:O is there, but DA 2 never came back to Steam.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Suplex Liberace posted:

Why is ME the only AAA sci-fi rpg? I like rpgs but I don't like fantasy settings.

Dues ex? Bioshock ? Fallout ?The bungie game that's not halo. Swtor I guess.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Turbl posted:

congratulations thread, we've found the poster with the worst opinions know to mankind

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Mass Effect 1 is bad. Mass Effect 2 is very good. Mass Effect 3 is good. Dragon Age 2 is very bad. Dragon Age 3 is bad. The Witcher 3 is very good.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Dragon Age 3 is better than the witcher

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I've said it before and I'll say it again: The only way they'd make the witcher good is if they gave Geralt the correct character model: JC Denton

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
I will never understand people who like Sera.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Basic Chunnel posted:

Better at failing.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Basic Chunnel posted:

I cannot agree with this opinion at any level.

Basic Chunnel posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again: The only way they'd make the witcher good is if they gave Geralt the correct character model: JC Denton

This one, I am indifferent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
The Witcher is terrible, and I'm always honestly shocked people who like to clown on Bioware for lovely writing defend loving Geralt.

Also the gameplay is god-awful.